Thread: Red oil light blinks on and off

My Cars
    325i 2003

Red oil light blinks on and off

I have a 2003 325i.

Today the oil light came on in red but blinking on and off-however- only when sitting at idle. When I drive- the light goes off.
    Any ideas?

Oik level seems to be ok.

Thank you.

My Cars
    2004 -Z4-2.5i,96-Z3-1.9L
    I would do an oil change with the proper grade high quality oil & filter. Search thread Any 1 had this fault code? dated 6-18-2010 3:32pm. same problem solved. Look for my post.
    Last edited by STEALTHYZ4; 06-21-2010 at 02:19 AM.

My Cars
    325i 2003
    Thanks for the response.

I have been trying to find your post, but can't find it at all.

How do you think this has caused the light to "flicker".

Thanks

My Cars
    2004 -Z4-2.5i,96-Z3-1.9L
    Wrong grade of oil,worn contaminated oil,thermal breakdown of oil,the list can go on. If u look in the GENERAL BMW MECHANICAL section-title of thread-Any1 had this fault code? you will see mine and others responses to the same question.

My Cars
    325i 2003
    Again I really appreciate your input. I have tried several times to find the post that you refer to, but it does not come up in search.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    325i 2003
    I had the car at the dealer this morning and they are telling me that the oil pressure sending unit, oil level sensor, and oil filter housing seals need to be replaced. $ 1062.00.

Does this sound reasonable?

2003 325I
    172K miles

I have to drive about 650 miles in the next two days and they dont have the sensor in stock. They said that the pressure was good and that I won't have a problem. What do you think.

They said that the oil filter housing seal was leaking but there is not one drop of oil or anything on my garage floor.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Last edited by michaelp; 06-21-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: add text

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    ouch, I would find an indy shop to do that work, lots cheaper

if they tested your oil pressure, and your up to date on oil changes I, personally would not worry about it, that's just me if it were my car
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    325i 2003
    I picked up the car- since they didn't have the sensor in stock anyhow.

The pricing was incorrect.

The charge for the Oil Filter Housing seal is 450.00 and the oil pressure sending unit is 215.00.

Does this still seem high?

Thanks

My Cars
    2004 -Z4-2.5i,96-Z3-1.9L
    1. If possible u can DIY for just the price of parts,which will be much cheaper than any dealer.The cheap fix attempt should be made with an oil &filter change if u can DIY,not the dealer. Did u use the link to the thread i suggested?
    KEVLAR-Thank You for supplying that link

My Cars
    325i 2003
    Yes I looked at the link. IO had already told the dealer to do the oil service. I needed to be on the road on Tuesday morning and they said that I am good to drive. They suggested that I do the filter housing seals- 450.00 and IF the sensor light comes on again to do the sensor for 215.00.

The car was good on my first leg of the trip- 300 miles.

I am just not sure about getting the work done at the inde in my area. I have always had my work done at a dealer- the last oil change that I needed- I went to the inde. They told me that they used castrol synthetic- it was 40.00 less than the dealer and after 6000 miles- the dealer said that the oil looked dirty. I usually go 10K before a change. So I paid the dealer the 130 for the service and feel a bit better about it- mabye I am naive- but piece of mind is worth something to me.

I just dont know about these other repairs. They also told me that my rear springs were broke- 750.00

Are these prices reasonable.?

My Cars
    None
    Seems like this place your taking it to is jerking you around. My m3 has that light occasionally due to the fact it burns oil. Just a normal thing for my car, not sure about your 325 though, it does have 175k like you said. I add a little oil and it stops. And I doubt very much your springs are broken. I think you would know, if it turns out you truely do need springs, and aftermarket set from h&r go for around 250 shipped.

My Cars
    325i 2003
    I guess I need to find someone that can install these for me. I do not have any mechanics tools and am not sure how I would do this.

The car has never burned any oil. They told me that if the oil level was being signaled- it woul;d come on in orange. My indicator was red but it was blinking on and off- not solid and would go out as soon as I drive.

It has not come on since I had the oil changed- 300 miles.

I am not sure about the springs- and I am guessing that the seals around the oil filter housing are possibly worn- I am not sure if 450.00 is a reasonable price for that repair. I guess when you go to a dealer you need to expect that type of labor charge- but the indy shops in my area know that there are not many shops that work on BMW's ( at least not well) so they charge very close to the same labor- because they can.

I have always felt that iof the prices are close and the warranty is better- and I feel that I am getting BMW parts- the dealer is a safer way to go.

I wish I had a good mechanic that I could really trust.

My Cars
    Z3 2.5
    Go to your regional forum and see if anyone can recommend a good Indy shop in your area. Best way to find a good Indy and save some money. Just because you are not going to the dealer doesn't mean you can't use BMW parts.
    2001 2.5 Z3
    H&R/Bils Sport, ECIS Intake, E46 RSM's, WSM, Strong Strut CL
    Sharked, RE Underpulleys

My Cars
    2000 323i

Red oil light blinks on and off

Quote Originally Posted by wolffbimmer View Post
    And I doubt very much your springs are broken. I think you would know, if it turns out you truely do need springs, and aftermarket set from h&r go for around 250 shipped.
    Why would you doubt it? Springs break all the time on e46's at the bottoms. It won't sag but your missing the tight coil at the bottom of the spring that keeps it mounted in the right spot.