RM European Auto Parts

Thread: '93 325i w/buzzing DME relay

My Cars
    Turbo e36

'93 325i w/buzzing DME relay

I've read several threads about car's not starting and check the fuel pump and the relay but I've done all that but still no luck.

Here's how it happened, I finished welding up the O2 bung into the exhaust and hooked up the sensor but the wires were cut so I used butt crimps to connect them. Anyways after that I changed the oil and started the car up. It was idling fine and then I looked at the wideband gauge, it read 10.9 so I checked everything to see if everything was okay. The #2 fuel injector was leaking fuel from the fuel rail. Disregarding the fuel leak I took the car around the neighbor to see if it was running right even with the leak and it did until I was an half mile away from the house when the car started to buck on me. That was a good enough reason to turn off the car and let it sit a few. I tried to start the car back up but it wouldn't. It wasn't getting any fuel. The pump wasn't priming but I can hear a click from the engine bay.

I've checked the fuel pump relay by jumping the pins and the fuel pumps work so that's not the case. The DME relay has been buzzing on and off so I've been removing it. I checked if the DME was wet but it's not. I've checked just about everything but I'm stumped right now so if anyone has any information or can help it would be much appreciated.

Here's the video of the buzzing DME relay and me swapping it with an identical one.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v690/imacivickid/?action=view&current=DSCN1365.mp4

My Cars
    Turbo e36
    No one here can help me?

My Cars
    87 325is
    Did you have the battery disconnected when welding (Mig or Tig I presume)? If not you may have fried the DME.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    Turbo e36
    Naw, it was fine after I finished welding it. It started right up, idled perfectly then I took it for a drive and then it stopped working.

ttt
    Last edited by The Law; 06-13-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Turbo e36
    Okay, so could wiring up the O2 wrong be the culprit? And the DME relay stopped buzzing so that's a good thing. I'm getting no voltage at coils when the ignition is on either. If my DME is fried, would the AA tune chip be fried too? Still checking everything possible that could be wrong even checked the crank position sensor. Any help will be appreciated.

My Cars
    Turbo e36
    Nobody can chime in and help me. Anyways I found a wire(green/blue) melted from the
    oxygen sensor relay so that might be what happened, it also melted a few others which
    were a brown wire and a brown/green wire. How do I found out if the DME is fried?

My Cars
    Turbo e36
    Well, I've rewired the melted and burnt wires so that is taken care of now I'm on to the main relay. There's no more buzzing but on terminal 85 (brown wire) there seems to be no ground. I've checked to see if it is getting continuity from terminal 85 to the DME and it's has continuity. So does that mean my DME is fried?

My Cars
    Turbo e36
    Can anyone help, please? Replaced the DME with a working one, now the peake tool can read codes. Got a FF1A which is control unit supply, so I cleared it but the car still isn't getting fuel or spark.