Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here comes another '87 325is

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Pino View Post
    wow that's one hell ofa' project you've got. anddddd good luck with that buddy haha
    Thanks bud

Its already running(or was, gotta try again once the trannys in) and no aparent electrical problems *knocks on wood*

And you guys should see these tires, you can see the radial belts! But its gonna roll on these for a while until i take it out onto the road.

Pino, did you ever get your car repainted?

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Well, I've decided to leave the flywheel, PP, and clutch in to reduce my chances of screwing up. And to hasten my progress, its not like this is agonizingly slow for me or anything I have started to look at shaving some pounds off the flywheel though, and that would require me to do all of the work mentioned above...which I'm kind of iffy on. I have a spare clutch, flywheel, and pp from a 5 speed swap i bought which I'm basically using on this car.

What are your opinions? Should i do the deed and get it out of the way? How much would a show run me to lighten/balance the flywheel?

UPDATE
    z4 shifter set up arriving thursday, but the above problems have me hung up on what to do.

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Well i got the new shifter cup but the shifter rod has to be ordered by bmw from germany, so thats coming tuesday. Great

EDIT
    so i have two shift carrier arms, or three actually, but two of them are different. The first one looks like this, its the part on the bottom. See how its got that bend?

Then i have two more like this one:

Not sure if you can see it, but its straight all the way across. Which one do i use for the z4 rod swap? Help would be appreciated

So I took some photos so you can see what I'm talking about better.

Heres the shift arms. I have two like the one on the left, and one like the one on the right. Anybody want one? Ill give you a deal.

Heres the two carrier arms on top of each other. The holes line up the same, but the middle length is positioned differently.

Heres a side by side shot of the two. I only got around to cleaning the left one.

Heres the only part that has arrives for my homemake SSK

Now can you guys/girls tell me which carrier arm i put it into? Thanks
    Last edited by Sigsaucer647; 06-25-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Triplepost

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Bump, someones gotta know which arm

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Well, I got it running an driving, just to let you know. Havent kept it updated over here.

My Cars
    See sig file
    I replaced my shift lever with one from a e36 M3, much shorter throw and the same cost.

Did you check the online parts book for the correct shift platform? Put in the last seven digits of the VIN and search.
    Pat
    ____
    '98 Z3 1.9L + '90 325iCab, '87 535iS_____________
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Well the z4 is short enough for me, its a big difference from the stock one.

And I ended up going with the straight arm, I dont have any problems and it looked to be a more "solid" design

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    So since I had my front valance off, I decided to fab up some new of those NLA plastic brackets. So I got some plastic from the company my father delivers to and was on my way. I'll have to post pics later, but they turned out great in my opinion. Much stronger than the 20 year old ones that were supporting it for sure, and probably stronger than new ones. And no more saggy valance! Everything's tight up front and I'm starting to repaint the trim.

Its starting to look like a car again, and not so much a beater!

Heres the pics of me fabbing those brackets

Broken brackets removed. One good one left.

Making and fitting the first bracket.

Heres the second bracket. As you can see its getting darker and darker, but its just about done.

Heres the bracket 100% complete. Wirewheeled the metal strip and shot it with some black. Then put all the new brackets on.

No sag, 100% perfection. Total cost $0

Before painting the windshield strip. And a good shot of how the valance is straight

heres the window strip after I painted it, much better. No yellowish orange plastic

masking everything off for paint
    Last edited by Sigsaucer647; 08-02-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    See sig file
    You can "string" the windshield and rear window rubber gaskets. You take weed-eater string (aka line) and gently push it under the gasket to raise it off the surface you want to paint. Then you mask off the gasket and after the paint dries, you remove the masking and the string and the job looks "Pro".
    Pat
    ____

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpat View Post
    You can "string" the windshield and rear window rubber gaskets. You take weed-eater string (aka line) and gently push it under the gasket to raise it off the surface you want to paint. Then you mask off the gasket and after the paint dries, you remove the masking and the string and the job looks "Pro".
    I gotcha, you do that so you can mask under it so there is no overspray. Nice.

My Cars
    See sig file
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigsaucer647 View Post
    I gotcha, you do that so you can mask under it so there is no overspray. Nice.
    Exactly, plus the tape isn't on the body surface at all, so there's no chance it will pull off the paint.
    Pat
    ____

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpat View Post
    Exactly, plus the tape isn't on the body surface at all, so there's no chance it will pull off the paint.
    Cool, Ill have to try that with the rear window, thanks for the tip

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Heres some pics I found

That was getting the tranny back in

Then came the driveshaft

Torn apart interior

So much stuff

Here was my CSB problem Boy was that fun

Swapping CSBs and great pic of the old slave

Thats what the muffler looks like

Rebuilt brakes

Removed the blue paint that was splashed on

Clean interior again!

Theres that RD green shift knob and my custom shift boot. Not too shabby for a first attempt

Well, I snagged a pic of inside the valve cover

Pulled the front grill trim and painted it black, then I wondered what to do with the kidneys. The chrome was coming off, so I just painted it as well. Then I sprayed the headlight circle things black, because they were faded and stuck out like a sore eye. Then I sprayed the wiper grills and arms black. Then I took off the IS spoiler, wiped out the years of grime underneath, and sprayed that black as well. All using plasti-dip. That stuff looks great on trim.

Still waiting to adjust the valves. I soaked the valve cover in degreaser and cleaned it up real Good. I think Im gonna sand it down and paint it a bright green. But I gotta stop beating around the bush and do the valves already

here are the pics of the trim!

And then one of the valve cover during adjustment, just degreased it for now to get the years of oil off.
    Last edited by Sigsaucer647; 08-12-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '86es/'87is/'89i/'98ti
    Lookin' good bro!
    Last edited by DaRvDrUmS; 08-15-2010 at 12:40 AM.

My Cars
    1987 325is Sleeper
    Nice work keep it up!

(My new AKG poly bushings should be done tomorrow !!!!
    Cheers,
    -----Richard -----"Family Guy Budget Racer"-----
    Delphin Metallic '87 325is sleeper (Cardinal Red interior) money pit

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Guess what finally arrived.........

MY CV BOOTS!
    after 2 weeks of waiting, they are here

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    so my rear shocks are dead, and someone is giving away free 91 318 rears and I would just have to pay shipping. Do they work?

UPDATE
    So yesterday and today, I rebuilt the right driveaxel and put on new boots and cleaned out the old grease and such. Then today I went to put it back in and found out that the wheel nut had the first few threads stripped so it wouldnt thread onto the driveaxel. Off to the junkyard and 3 dollars later I had one driveaxel back in. Next I popped off the left wheel nut getting ready to remove the left driveaxel. Now Its sitting in my room waiting to be "rebuilt".

My Cars
    87 BMW (E30) 325iS

Kid.. I am impressed... keep it up!

Can't wait to see this when it's done.. nice job brohammer.

My Cars
    1995 325is
    dude i made an account cuz sigsaucer inspired me lol

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    Sigsaucer also inspired me, I work in Ft. Lauderdale myself near Commercial and I-95 and live in Boca Raton. I'm another young-folk like you and just bought a 91 318is that I'm intending to turn into a DD. You must tell me what junkyard you're talking about because I need a new Getrag 240, unless you know someone who'll rebuild it for cheap. Also need help removing a Getrag 240 hahaha, but PM me or something we should get a Lauderdale area meet going for BF.C

Keep pushin you're makin decent progress man

My Cars
    1995 325is
    When do you guys meet up is like to see some kore e30s in west palm I don't see much of them.

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by robohara View Post
    Can't wait to see this when it's done.. nice job brohammer.
    Thanks broski

Quote Originally Posted by 1jze30 View Post
    dude i made an account cuz sigsaucer inspired me lol
    aww, you make me feel so special

Quote Originally Posted by durtyE30 View Post
    Sigsaucer also inspired me, I work in Ft. Lauderdale myself near Commercial and I-95 and live in Boca Raton. I'm another young-folk like you and just bought a 91 318is that I'm intending to turn into a DD. You must tell me what junkyard you're talking about because I need a new Getrag 240, unless you know someone who'll rebuild it for cheap. Also need help removing a Getrag 240 hahaha, but PM me or something we should get a Lauderdale area meet going for BF.C

Keep pushin you're makin decent progress man
    I know where you work(at least the general area). Good to hear about the e30, and nice score on the 318is.

And I go to autowerks mainly, its on...Ill have to tell you tomorrow, cant remember this late after writing 3 papers
    And as far as rebuilding trannys, I'm going to see about rebuilding the old 260 I have to sell, so Ill get back to you on that too. And I think we have a lauderdale meet. Its run by some guy called silence I think at his shop, hes over on r3v a lot in the southeast section & so is forced firebird(or something like that) But I havent been to one of their meets yet.

Thanks

When do you guys meet up is like to see some kore e30s in west palm I don't see much of them.

I think theres a couple in west palm, theres at least one guy on r3v I remember, brian jacobs or something.

Thanks for the kind words all, so in my absence of a few days here, I managed to do that other driveaxel and put it back together and drive it some! I took some pics of the stuff, but still need to get them on my computer, so I think Ill try to do that tomorrow.

And I also found out how long the car was sitting since I brought it down. Since september of 1999, hasnt been driven since the cnage of the milenium! Till now of course
    Last edited by Sigsaucer647; 08-18-2010 at 12:24 AM.

My Cars
    1995 325is
    I heard they are mean at r3v lol. But yeah dude that's an amazing job yur doing I need to do the same to my car my cars full of rust

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    That's awesome man, let me know if you find anyone who wants to rebuild a Getrag 240 for cheap, otherwise I think I'm going to try and teach myself out of cost efficiency.

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    I heard they are mean at r3v lol. But yeah dude that's an amazing job yur doing I need to do the same to my car my cars full of rust
    you just gotta roll with the punches and youll find some good information. But dude, rust is so FTL.

Quote Originally Posted by durtyE30 View Post
    That's awesome man, let me know if you find anyone who wants to rebuild a Getrag 240 for cheap, otherwise I think I'm going to try and teach myself out of cost efficiency.
    Thats what I mean when I was going to try to rebuild it, I was going to DIY it, I got alldata print outs from a show on how to do it and stuff, so I just need to get off my butt and get to work

Oh, and I also live in Ft Laud

Gonna go and see a guy about welding on my "new rear end" this weekend hopefully Ill get some pics of stuff up in a sec.

My boots! There are four, I just took one out

So much for 6 bucks!

Old, dirty grease on the joint

Cup the joint fits into also filled with dirt and grease

balls that allow it to move freely in joint covered in dirt and old grease

Joint parts all clean and shiny, and a good pic of what the old boot looked like

Finished product! After an hour of trouble, its done

shot of the nice, clean, new boots, no rips and leaking grease!

Shot of the other end, also a new boot. That black stuff is just some paint that was peeling off, I scrubbed most of it off and that stuck.

old boot trouble

And its in! And I cleaned up the wheel well area again. I had paintd the rotor hats real quick with some black paint after removing some rust from them when I took them off. Where the wheel mounts though, the paint likes to come off. Oh well, nobody will see there anyways when the wheels on, which is only like 20% of the time now

Those are my rear tires, fronts arent much better. Now is that a worn tire or what
    Last edited by Sigsaucer647; 08-18-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast