Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here comes another '87 325is

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS

Here comes another '87 325is

Well i went through quite the adventure to get this. It started out as a $300 ad posted on here which i quickly pursued. It happened to be in Tallahassee, FLorida, whereas i was in South FLorids...But luckily i know some people that know some people

So I ended up bringing it to Micanopy and left it there for a month with some close friends. Then we attemped to bring it all the way home and 10 miles out, the right rear wheel hub is overheating. So we bring it back and it sits for even longer. Then eventually we get out friend with a full bed trailer to tow it down and it arrives in all of its glory. Now i have 2 e30s, one vert and one coupe

So far i have managed to deal with some electrical problems

yes, thats what happened when i touched the thing, it fell apart! Hence my starting/accesories problems...

I have figured out part of the problem why the rear wheels drag..

If you look between the hub and caliper you can see part of the brake pad that broke off and wedged itself in there, creating a doublestuffed oreo with the other half of the pad

But onto the actual pictures of the car!

the trashbag was there because of the ignition switch problem not allowing me to close the window

front end removed for tow bar setup. Yes it has the bumper and sweet IS valance

My baller wood hood shock

this is to get rid of the rust in the rear, I think JB weld would hold it

and would somebody please tell me what radio this is? Yes it is BMW

And this all came with ton of spare parts!

*flame suit on*
    Last edited by Sigsaucer647; 05-24-2010 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    05' BMW 330i ZHP
    That car is in truly horrible shape and it blows my mind that they overpriced the car so much.

You've got a lot of work on your hands... lol
    Botond Pal
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    ZHP Mafia

My Cars
    '86es/'87is/'89i/'98ti

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    That car is in truly horrible shape and it blows my mind that they overpriced the car so much.

You've got a lot of work on your hands... lol
    Well I recieved a half of a tan interior, front/rear windshield, and some more stuff for free, and i could sell the valance for $150ish and basically make up the cost of the car.

But yes, i have a ton of work. What do you guys think i should do? sand, bondo, prime, and do a roller paint job? For sure not rattlecan flat black, it looks like crap

Quote Originally Posted by DaRvDrUmS View Post
    ROUGH, but the dream lives on bro! =)
    haha, thanks

My Cars
    05' BMW 330i ZHP
    I personally would have done a rattlecan paintjob, just not flat black, more like the OEM color. I don't know what's cheaper; rattlecan or roller, but I would start with the bodywork to make it perfectly straight and then paint it. I'd ditch the diving boards and get a clean set of euro bumpers in chrome, as they'd go well with that color. All new seals (doors, trunk, engine bay) and gaskets (windows, taillights, antenna, etc.), and then I'd get to work on the interior, going for a nice cardinal set of sport seats front and M3 bench in the rear. Top if off with a crack-free dash, a nice smaller-diameter M-Tech I or II steering wheel, and clean carpeting (if it's salvagable, shampoo it).

This is all assuming that the mechanicals are in order. If not, I'd start with the mechanical stuff first: full tune-up (even if it doesn't "need" one), refresh suspension bushings and possibly install stiffer/lowering springs and shocks to handle spirited driving, complete brake job with rotors and pads all around with an inspection of the calipers/rebuild if necessary [or replace with 4-pot if you're going to track]. Swaybars are a must to get rid of some of that body roll in combination with the springs.

Different priorities; if I was keeping the car for daily driving, those are only some of the things I'd do to it. If track, I'd use this opportunity to put in some goodies that you couldn't use in a daily driver.
    Last edited by az3579; 05-24-2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Botond Pal
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    ZHP Mafia

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I personally would have done a rattlecan paintjob, just not flat black, more like the OEM color. I don't know what's cheaper; rattlecan or roller, but I would start with the bodywork to make it perfectly straight and then paint it. I'd ditch the diving boards and get a clean set of euro bumpers in chrome, as they'd go well with that color. All new seals (doors, trunk, engine bay) and gaskets (windows, taillights, antenna, etc.), and then I'd get to work on the interior, going for a nice cardinal set of sport seats front and M3 bench in the rear. Top if off with a crack-free dash, a nice smaller-diameter M-Tech I or II steering wheel, and clean carpeting (if it's salvagable, shampoo it).
    Thats what im thinking, but I'll roller it because I think it would turn out smoother. I'm already getting the rust off of the body and starting on it. I think im going to need to roll with the DBs for a while because euro bumpers = $$

The seals themselves are in good condition , they just need to be....whats the right word, lubricated?

Gaskets I'll work on, mainly the windows and antenna because im trying to hold off on working on the rear until i get that bodypanel welded inplace. I have the cardinal interior and will eventually get it recovered, its my favorite color interior for e30s.

And it has an M-tech I wheel in it, but the leather around the wheel is shot. Im wondering if its ok to just take the outer leather off, redye the center, and rock the wheel surround as just the inner plastic.

And the carpet is completely salvagable, i just need to remove the front seats and give it a good scrub. And invest in a camera...So much to do! At least this will keep me busy

what do you guys think about this color

(Karel's e30 on r3v)

My Cars
    and trucks
    HAha, no bad man. Reminds me of my DD. And yes, us included seems like a lot of 87 325is's running around here.

As for the hood, I discovered on my 540 that I can wedge the 32mm fan crescent in the hood shock bend and not have a huge wood block in my way lol.

I've seen that radio in a junkyard before. I don't think it was 6 series but I know it was early 80s. I want to say, E12,23, or 28.

With the radio and bottle caps seems like someone put that car back to stock from being modded.

I've got a 3/87is in similar shape. Interior is pretty great, paint is good but has rusty dents, mechanicals could use 1k $20 parts. With it I think I'm going to get it sorted, learn to do the sanding/pull the dents etc. Then paint it primer and seal it. Drop it, etc. Basically I'd like to find a mechanically great bad interior car, post 91, for a DD and swap interiors. End up with an E30 ratrod of sorts.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    2012 328i, X5 1994 325iC
    Lots o' luck with that

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by David325e View Post
    HAha, no bad man. Reminds me of my DD. And yes, us included seems like a lot of 87 325is's running around here.

As for the hood, I discovered on my 540 that I can wedge the 32mm fan crescent in the hood shock bend and not have a huge wood block in my way lol.

I've seen that radio in a junkyard before. I don't think it was 6 series but I know it was early 80s. I want to say, E12,23, or 28.

With the radio and bottle caps seems like someone put that car back to stock from being modded.

I've got a 3/87is in similar shape. Interior is pretty great, paint is good but has rusty dents, mechanicals could use 1k $20 parts. With it I think I'm going to get it sorted, learn to do the sanding/pull the dents etc. Then paint it primer and seal it. Drop it, etc. Basically I'd like to find a mechanically great bad interior car, post 91, for a DD and swap interiors. End up with an E30 ratrod of sorts.
    Ha, thanks bud. Hopefully i can get everything sorted out. Im not too worried about the rust, i can get rid of that fairly easy, its just making it 100% smooth and rice for a paintable surface.

87 325is seem to be super common on here, theres tons of threads ive been reading about them between here, and r3v. But, For my to do list its get motor running, put good tranny in, put driveshaft in, get cooling system sorted out if its not working, do a fluid change, and then start on bushings, body, etc. And Before anything can go further, i need money! Maybe i should start a broke highschool kid's fund or something.....

And i know the folks on herem for the most part are purists and would hate to see me not have a shiny new paintjob and get rid of all the rust....I'm going for the rust, but as far as paint.....I'm not sure if i should go against the grain and do a flat like that green....that color really gets me.

In regards to the radio, i need to find out what type it is, or how to remove it because i cant seem to get it to work. It turns on but seems to be stuck in a blank function or something. I can get the Loud, and DB lights to come on when i press the on the screen, but it wont seem to go into radio .... I wonder if i need a code.

UPDATE
    Well now that the car is turning over and getting spark, i decided to see whats going on with fuel so i disconnected the fuel line going to the fuel rail and it was bone dry

SO then I go back to the fuel filter and disconnect a ball thingy next to it, that had fuel, or so i thought, it just turned out to be old rancid fuel. So next the filter came off and dry again!. so i pointed the line going to the filter into a bucket and tried to start the car. Im not an idiot, i just wanted to see if fuel would come out, but sadly, nothing. Yes there is fuel in the tank, i put in 5 gallons last night.

So does anybody have an idea of what might be going on? and might i say that when i got the car, the lower back seat was resting in place, so i assume this isnt a new problem...AM i sh*t out of luck and its the fuel filter or is there some magical relay that seems to go out and cause this?

And what do i do about the radio? anybody know what it is?

Thanks guys

My Cars
    and trucks
    Can't physically get it out of the din? You might be able to reach around in there and lower the tabs holding the silver din bracket in. Especially coming with a screwdriver from the ashtray and vent sides. And The ball thing you describe, was it a cylinder about one inch tall, 6 in diam, connected to the pressure pump with a little piece of hose? Had that on an 84 325e. Never knew what the hell it was haha.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by David325e View Post
    Can't physically get it out of the din? You might be able to reach around in there and lower the tabs holding the silver din bracket in. Especially coming with a screwdriver from the ashtray and vent sides. And The ball thing you describe, was it a cylinder about one inch tall, 6 in diam, connected to the pressure pump with a little piece of hose? Had that on an 84 325e. Never knew what the hell it was haha.
    I'll have to try that when it stops pouring...

And the ball thing was something right next to the fuel filter, it looked like a cylinder actually,

UPDATE

ok, so i managed to squeeze out the radio, man that thing was in there tight! I wasnt able to get any pictures because its too dark outside but it looks like two yellow wires on the harness on the radio are disconnected, maybe causing my problems?

Heres what it said on the stamp/sticker on the radio:
    BMW model CM5804
    FCC IC :/\ 269ZUA027
    Made in Japan
    yada, yada, yada about amperage and stuff
    Alpine Electronics Inc.

then on a metal plate on the rear it said:
    40237214 A

anybody have an idea of what this is?

Another Update

Quote Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
    Which radio?

The connectors should work, if you get the part of the harness that substitutes for the external fader control.

CM5804
    Early e30 radio built by Alpine Electronics
    AM/FM/Cassette, Dolby, no weather band or anti-theft
    Bass and Treble sliders under volume knob on the left
    Center cassette door over the display.
    Mechanical FF and rewind buttons to left of door
    One row of 5 preset buttons under the display
    Function buttons, including Dolby button, on the right.
    Yellow and white power pigtail w/ 2 pin Molex connector, antenna pigtail

This ones mine ^^^^

CM5905 or CM5907
    Common on e30 models, built by Alpine Electronics
    CM5907 had weather band
    Single knob (for volume), Sliders for treble and bass
    Two rows of five buttons
    Two speaker outputs, left and right, used with fader control on dash
    Premium system had the fader feed the rear amplifier
    Yellow and white power pigtail w/ 2 pin Molex connector, others plug in

CM5908 Alpine w/ infrared slot, 89-93 e30
    Four speaker outputs, no fader control on dash.
    Yellow and white power pigtail w/ 2 pin Molex connector
    White/brown and Blue/brown second pigtail.
    Cable 1-388-934 converts rear speaker outputs to 8 pin fader control connector
    CD changer control with 13 pin round DIN socket in rear
    CD control socket has 3x4 array, plus 1 opposite key
    Works with TR1000, TR1600 and TR1008 (6, 6 and 12 disc) changers
    BMW-specific data cable, NLA

Pioneer (KE83ZBM) with the +/- (mode) in lower right corner
    Single volume knob on left side, two paddle levers
    Weather band button, six presets in two rows
    CD changer control
    reported on 4/89 production 325i
    figured it out

any ideas on why it wont change functions? theres a tape stuck in it so could it be stuck in tape mode?

SOOOO, i checked fuel pump voltage and coming out of the two pronged wire connection, im getting 8.8 volts, is that normal? Yes i searched but couldnt find anything
    Last edited by Sigsaucer647; 05-26-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Spec E30, 91 318i
    Nice project

My Cars
    08 mini cooper s turbo!!
    where exactly in south florida are you? looks like a beast (like a fat or ugly gf) but loveable at the same time

My Cars
    2012 328i, X5 1994 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmershark View Post
    where exactly in south florida are you? looks like a beast (like a fat or ugly gf) but loveable at the same time

I thought the chicks in Fla were hot. Not ugly and lovable. But maybe your talking about the old Jewish ladies...LOL. (No offense, old Jewish ladies)

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by moberg12 View Post
    Nice project
    Thanks bud

I'm in Fort lauderdale
    It is a beast, and it needs some hard loving. Hopefully it will turn out nice

Quote Originally Posted by txtorquemade View Post
    I thought the chicks in Fla were hot. Not ugly and lovable. But maybe your talking about the old Jewish ladies...LOL. (No offense, old Jewish ladies)
    listen to this guy

So, does anybody know if 8.8 volts to the fuel pump is normal??

Update

Pulled the tapedeck and removed the tape. That thing was jammed in there! Now it goes to fm/am functions, yeah! But there seems to be no sound....All i hear is a pop from the speakers whenever I turn the radio on.
    Last edited by Sigsaucer647; 05-26-2010 at 07:04 PM.

My Cars
    08 mini cooper s turbo!!
    nice literally the opposite coast i am on lol.

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    lulz, oil spill gonna get you sonnnnnnn

My Cars
    08 mini cooper s turbo!!
    lol ..i am gonna be hittin some junkyards tom..pm any thing ya need me to look for

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    lol ..i am gonna be hittin some junkyards tom..pm any thing ya need me to look for
    SWEET LIFE! I have connectios

Could you get me a price for an early fuel pump? It looks like this

Thanks man!

My Cars
    08 mini cooper s turbo!!
    i shall see what they want for them ..but you may be better off buying new for that ..

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    i shall see what they want for them ..but you may be better off buying new for that ..
    very true, but i just need to see if this is the actual problem, because even though all signs are pointing to it, i need to be sure. Oh! a driver side knee bolster price!

Thank you kind sir

My Cars
    e30, X3, Z3... K1100rs
    Wow. Good luck. You're a brave man.

Remember: Your life can be extinguished in ONE stupid moment. No one is invincible....

My Cars
    08 mini cooper s turbo!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigsaucer647 View Post
    very true, but i just need to see if this is the actual problem, because even though all signs are pointing to it, i need to be sure. Oh! a driver side knee bolster price!

Thank you kind sir
    ah got ya..yeah ill see what they got ..

My Cars
    1990 325iC, 1987 325iS
    UPDATE

SO i get a "new" used fuel pump(both of them) and sender. Im pretty happy about it, and they look in great condition! Ill have to upload comparison pics. And the junkyard tested them out for me and showed me how to check them. I think they love me

And, i stitched up my seats some, they look so purtyy. Pics to come!

My Cars
    08 mini cooper s turbo!!
    sweet man i never got out to the junkyard ..been getting ready for redneck yacht club this weekend...hey if your not already on it check out floridagerman.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast