Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S52 oil pump suction pipe failure

My Cars
    96 M3, 97 M3, 2008 MiniCooper S

S52 oil pump suction pipe failure

While inspecting a S52 for problems, I found that the oil pump suction pipe had failed at the inlet screen pickup.

Called BMW only to find none were available state side but Germany has 47. But upon further looking at the engine, the oil pump had significant damage due to foreign object damage (FOD) -- metal parts getting between the pump "teeth".

So ordered a new S52 oil pump. The new pump is supposed to also have the suction pipe. Pumps are in stock in the US. Pump is due Monday and will find out if the pump comes with the suction pipe. Hope so.

I am considering adding (welding) an extra brace or two between the pipe and suction screen housing for better strength.

See pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    96 M3, no sunroof, OBD1-M50 intake manifold, ASC delete, CAI by TMS, Shark, VAC oil pan baffle kit, VAC HD oil pump shaft, VAC oil filter top, JB light-flywheel, B&B cat back, AA headers,underdrive pulleys, TCKline Coil overs-Koni SA, JT Design front strut bar, HR springs & bars, TCKline camber plates, Power Flex throughout, X brace, B&M-ssk, 4pt roll bar, fiberglass hood & trunk, Recaro Driver and Corbeau pass. seats and Schroth 6pt, Zionsville alum rad. JT Design front splitter, Z3 power steering rack (2.8 turns), A/C delete, Racepak IQ3 Data Acquisition plus eng oil pres, eng oil temp, eng water temp, brake pressure, and throttle position, final drive - 3.64 LSD by Blanton.

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by POPS M3 View Post
    I am considering adding (welding) an extra brace or two between the pipe and suction screen housing for better strength.

See pics below.
    Ken, the reinforcement sounds like a good idea, someone on this forum did this as well. However, braze it don't weld it. I assume all these pieces are brazed together due to all the vibrations they're put through.

Cheers,
    Carlos.

My Cars
    Too many.

S52 oil pump suction pipe failure

Pops.

If there is an issue with getting a pick up pipe, schoot me a message, I'll give you my old one. I just took mine out my s52 when I installed the S54 set up. So if you need let me know by Tuesday latest. Heading to Mid-O Wed.

Alternatively, right now is THE perfect time to do the S54 pan/pump. Bimmerworld has them in stock.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Has this problem been going on for sometime or just recently?

My Cars
    04 GT3/04 F350/87 911
    I first saw it about 5 years ago....so I'd say it's been going on for a while. Watch for fluctuating oil pressure at speed. Sure sign the pipe's failing.

My Cars
    '95 M3 IP #595, '07 Z4MC
    I just went through this same issue. Do a search for "low oil pressure". I ended up waiting 2 weeks to get a rusty part from Germany. I have a VAC pump, so changing this was not an option. I ended up brazing a gusset on the pipe to reinforce it. Pictures are in that thread.

My Cars

New info and new pump

Just picked up the new oil pump today at dealer. Good news is that the suction pipe comes with the new pump.

BUT over the weekend I discovered a reinforced suction pipe that is available from BMW. With a little discount they are $43.00 The suction pipe is from a Z3 2.8 (early 1998). It looks to be identical to the M3 one except that it is reinforced.

See pics below. Ones with yellow X are the broken M3 one and the one without any markings are Z3 2.8 The engine in the picture is an S52 with an oil pan that I cut up to see inside fit up.

So now do I use the stock new M3 one or do I order a new 2.8 Z3 one.

Has anybody used the 2.8 Z3 suction pipe in an M3?
    96 M3, no sunroof, OBD1-M50 intake manifold, ASC delete, CAI by TMS, Shark, VAC oil pan baffle kit, VAC HD oil pump shaft, VAC oil filter top, JB light-flywheel, B&B cat back, AA headers,underdrive pulleys, TCKline Coil overs-Koni SA, JT Design front strut bar, HR springs & bars, TCKline camber plates, Power Flex throughout, X brace, B&M-ssk, 4pt roll bar, fiberglass hood & trunk, Recaro Driver and Corbeau pass. seats and Schroth 6pt, Zionsville alum rad. JT Design front splitter, Z3 power steering rack (2.8 turns), A/C delete, Racepak IQ3 Data Acquisition plus eng oil pres, eng oil temp, eng water temp, brake pressure, and throttle position, final drive - 3.64 LSD by Blanton.

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Just picked up the new oil pump today at dealer. Good news is that the suction pipe comes with the new pump.

BUT over the weekend I discovered a reinforced suction pipe that is available from BMW. With a little discount they are $43.00 The suction pipe is from a Z3 2.8 (early 1998). It looks to be identical to the M3 one except that it is reinforced.

See pics below. Ones with yellow X are the broken M3 one and the one without any markings are Z3 2.8 The engine in the picture is an S52 with an oil pan that I cut up to see inside fit up.

So now do I use the stock new M3 one or do I order a new 2.8 Z3 one.

Has anybody used the 2.8 Z3 suction pipe in an M3?
    Very interesting. Got a part number?
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
    Very interesting. Got a part number?
    I just ordered part number: 11 41 1 703 930 (early 1998 Z3 2.8)

I am assuming it will provide the same part that I show in the pics. Will provide follow-up when it arrives.

Ken

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    thanks, I may need to order one too!
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    I just ordered part number: 11 41 1 703 930 (early 1998 Z3 2.8)
    Interesting results from looking up the part usage: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....=on&showeur=on.

It's apparently used on the Euro M50/52 sedan/coupe, but not the US version other than the Z3 2.8.

Neil

My Cars
    SpecE46, 99LS/M3, 07GMC
    hmm may have to order one as I planning on digging into all that stuff next week.

My Cars

New suction pipe arrived today

Earlier in this thread I showed a "new" oil pump suction pipe that already had a reinforcement brazed on -- stock from BMW. I had it laying around and thought it was from a 1998 Z3 with 2.8 engine. I ordered a new suciton pipe (1998 Z3 2.8). Well it arrived today and my memory had not failed me. It had the reinforcement brace already brazed on.

INFO:
    New suction pipe arrived today and:
    1) part number 11 41 1 703 930 (1998 Z3 with 2.8)
    2) cost $43.10 (list price is about $54.00)
    3) yep is has the reinforcement that I pictured earlier

For those of you who want to upgrade your stock suction pipe I recommend you giving this one a try.

Ken

My Cars
    SpecE46, 99LS/M3, 07GMC
    Thanks, I ordered from Tischer the reinforced one and when it came in it was broken...it was last in the US apparently...mothertrucker. Now I gotta wait while mine comes in from Germany or Asia or wherever they make that crap nowadays.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Thanks POP M3 for sharing.

Looks like I'm going to delay my oil pan baffle/pump upgrade until I can get one of those reinforcement pipes.

My Cars
    M42
    Awesome info, thanks!

My Cars
    None
    What gasket is needed for this upgraded Z3 pickup tube?

Thanks!

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    it uses the same gasket as the stock one.

Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    None
    I have the Z3 oil pickup and gasket now.

Does anyone know what the torque specs are for:

- the oil pickup bolts
    - oil pump nut (the one that backs out all the time)

Thanks

My Cars
    None
    Bump for the torque specs. Thanks!

My Cars
    '95 M3, '94 325is
    also, how close to the pan bottom, is the pickup supposed to be? any spec on that?
    David Ortiz

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by odortiz View Post
    also, how close to the pan bottom, is the pickup supposed to be? any spec on that?
    I dont think that is adjustable. The pickup tube is mounted to a bracket.

I believe the torque specs for the oil pump is in the neighborhood of 20NM and the OPN is 47
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    OPN to Oil Pump Shaft is 17ft.lbs.....not even close to 47Nm
    -Rich-

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    OPN to Oil Pump Shaft is 17ft.lbs.....not even close to 47Nm
    :P well there ya go!
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    Good info, ill have to upgrade when I pull the pan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast