Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an M Coupe?

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line

Looking for an M Coupe? - Sale Listings Directory

A couple weeks ago I started a blog at www.mcoupebuyersguide.com on my search for the perfect M Coupe and things I've learned in the process. I also recently posted all the sites I check every day for M Coupes. This week I decided to take it one step further and compile a list of all M Coupes currently for sale in the U.S. from all of those sources. For each car, I also gave my own subjective ratings on Condition, Rarity, and Value as well as a couple comments about what I think of that particular car and anything extra I know of its history. Hopefully this will be a great resource for others searching to find the perfect coupe. Many of the cars are posted on multiple sites, and I will try to link to each listing individually. The price I post is the lowest I’ve seen on all the various listings. If the specific car has been discussed on one of the forums I frequent, I will also try to post those threads for additional information. I plan to update my listings directory daily.

In the future, this will also turn into a recently sold coupe directory as well. If I somehow find out the exact price a car sales for (typically only Ebay listings or cars sold through the forums), I will record it to try and assist people following the market.

Just click on M Coupe Sale Listings to access the directory. They are default sorted by “Last Updated”, so the most recently listed or updated cars will show up first. Because the directory is new and all the cars were entered out of order, this will not be very effective at first, but as time goes by it should work well. You can choose your own sort order from the drop down list. The choices are: Last Updated, Date Listed, Price, Mileage, Condition Rating, Rarity Rating and Value Rating. Click on “Search Listings” to filter the listings by Year, Price, Mileage, Sunroof-Delete, Exterior Color or Interior Color. I did the sort and search results as a url querystring, so once you setup the search and ordering you need you can bookmark it. The side effect is slower processing and no progress bars.

Features I’ve thought of adding in the future are displaying featured, recently added and best deal cars on my main blog page, adding the recently sold directory, and the ability to sign up for email alerts if a coupe is added meeting your specifications.

I’m open to any suggestions people might have or additional information that would be helpful in your search. I was initially thinking of recording the VIN numbers of each car and possibly link them to the M Coupe production database, but I wasn’t sure sellers would appreciate me reposting their VINs. I also decided not to post the seller’s contact information directly. You’ll have to click on the link to one of their listings to get that information.

Please let me know if any of the cars I have listed have sold, if you know of any cars for sale that I’ve missed, or if you have additional information on any of the cars you think would be helpful to potential buyers. If your car is listed and you’d like for me to add additional information or photos, I’d be happy to. All my ratings and comments are subjective, and I’m sure debatable. I kind of just went with my gut based on the photos and my impression of the seller. I’m definitely not an expert and open to suggestions and correction.

The only thing I ask is that if the site helped you find your coupe or if you happen to know it helped you sell your coupe, please let me know and encourage me to keep this directory updated. And if you don’t mind sharing the price paid to help other coupe shoppers, that would be nice too. I hope this will be helpful to other M Coupe shoppers and dreamers.
    Last edited by jrmartin03; 05-17-2010 at 02:38 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Wow! 61 M Coupes on the market right now? Although obviously a couple of them aren't particularly serious sellers. Never would have thought the number was that high, would have guessed at half that.

Nice job, and especially nice that you're willing to share all of your research like this.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    I was surprised at the final number too. I assumed well over half would be on AutoTrader, but it ended up being a little less than half.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Nice of you to compile and share. Holy crap though man, have a lot of spare time on your hands?!
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3Couper View Post
    Nice of you to compile and share. Holy crap though man, have a lot of spare time on your hands?!
    Nope, not usually. My wife and I had a baby on Tuesday. They both have been sleeping a lot and my clients don't expect me to be working, so I put it together while we were at the hospital. I've wanted to do it for several years but have never had a chance.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin03 View Post
    Nope, not usually. My wife and I had a baby on Tuesday. They both have been sleeping a lot and my clients don't expect me to be working, so I put it together while we were at the hospital. I've wanted to do it for several years but have never had a chance.
    Awesome. Congrats man!

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3Couper View Post
    Awesome. Congrats man!
    Thanks a lot! I wore my Coupe shirt to introduce her early.

Last edited by jrmartin03; 05-17-2010 at 03:36 AM.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Congrats!
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    Saturn SC1
    You have my car on there incorrectly listed as a 1999 model when in fact I have a 2001 S54 Model. It is the 37th one down on the list.

My Cars
    bmw
    Awesome list, thanks!

My Cars
    BMW Merc Audi
    Wow, great info...thanks
    1991 BMW E30 M3 - red/blk - Mint - *BBS* - (The Queen)
    2000 BMW M Coupe - blk/red - lightly modded - (The Track Rat)
    2005 M.Benz E55 AMG - slvr/blk - *Kleemann* - 11.24 @ 121.3mph - (My Daily Driver)
    2005 M.Benz CL65 AMG - blk/blk - *RENNtech* - V12 Twin Turbo - 648rwhp, 736tq - (Stoopid Fast!)
    2007 Audi S8 - Daytona gray/blk - Lambo V10 - Lowered on Rotiform SNA- (Girly Friend's Daily)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant - white/blk - RS6 "look alike" - *GIAC* - BBS LM - (The Work Horse)

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    Quote Originally Posted by DethRide View Post
    You have my car on there incorrectly listed as a 1999 model when in fact I have a 2001 S54 Model. It is the 37th one down on the list.
    Sorry about that, it's fixed.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Congrats on the new arrival.

When I bought my s52 M Coupe more than 2 years ago I did a similar review, though nowhere near as comprehensive. Just for grins here are the numbers I have from March 2008.

s52 M Coupe asking price + mileage (thousands of miles)
    18500 61
    18500 98
    22000 84
    23000 32
    26500 19
    28800 24
    26000 30
    25500 32
    23500 44
    23000 32
    22600 37
    22500 41
    21600 55
    21500 70
    21000 71
    21000 89
    21000 70
    17900 84
    17500 95
    16500 98

What was really interesting was making a scatter plot of mileage vs price. I figured those were the most important parameters. Low-mileage, high-priced vehicles showed up as points in the lower right of the graph, and high-mileage, low-priced vehicles showed up in the top left. Everything else was spread around the middle in a nice curve. The stupidly-priced stuff showed up as outliers in the upper-right. Back then I estimated a $1k reduction in price for every extra 10k miles. I then drew my own "buy line" on the graph. When my car came up it fell to the left of that line and I knew, in combination with the condition of the particular car, that I wasn't making a big $$ mistake. Very re-assuring. Since you have the data you could dump it into excel and make such a plot!?

(I personally don't understand how you have "spare time". Perhaps the quiet before the storm!)

My Cars
    02 m 367 & 99 m 368
    I used the $1,000 per 10,000 miles rule of thumb as well and it works in the mid range. I find for milages over 70,000 the curve starts to flatten out a little to more like $500 per 10,000 miles, but it's dangerous to apply a simple rule like this to higher milage cars because their quality is all over the map. It's the opposite for coupes under 30,000 miles, there you have to start adding higher premiums for low milage.

OP you've done a great job with your website.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    Quote Originally Posted by dchill View Post
    Since you have the data you could dump it into excel and make such a plot!?

(I personally don't understand how you have "spare time". Perhaps the quiet before the storm!)
    Sounds like a great idea. I've been thinking about what statistics I could generate from this. I setup some live online charting software for a client last month, so I'll try to add it sometime soon. I'm trying to get some actual work done again, so it will probably be a little while.

It definitely was the calm before the storm. The primary help was not working and my mom taking care of our 2 year-old for two days. Now I'm back to the storm .

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Thanks a lot! I wore my Coupe shirt to introduce her early.

Good man! Happy to see the shirts I made being worn at pivotal moments.

Quote Originally Posted by dchill View Post
    That's what I was thinking too.

It definitely was the calm before the storm. The primary help was not working and my mom taking care of our 2 year-old for two days. Now I'm back to the storm .
    Good luck with it all!

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Your link to the BMW M Database does not work. It lacks the “m” (ironically) at the end of the URL.

Nice work!
    "No matter what you make,
    All that you can take
    Is what you give away."

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    Quote Originally Posted by akreis View Post
    Your link to the BMW M Database does not work. It lacks the “m” (ironically) at the end of the URL.

Nice work!
    Fixed. Great work on your database as well!

My Cars
    2000 E36/8, 2007 E90
    Very informative site! Thanks for putting this all together!

My Cars
    bmw
    Has anyone been out to look at
    http://listings.mcoupebuyersguide.co...x?ListingID=31 ?

I'm really interested in this one, but I'm a bit from NC. As nice as the Laguna Seca one is, the 32k price tag is extreme.

My Cars
    '14 X3
    nice job!

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe, 1992 Civic Si EG
    Cool to know if I ever sell.
    I can say 1 of 61 made....Woohoo!!

Boston Green Metallic (73, 6 sunroof-delete)
    Dark Beige Oregon (61, 2 sunroof-delete)

My Cars
    00 MC, 02 325I,MBZ ML350
    Wow! What a tribute to our cars.

I wish I could find something like this for the E36 M3 I'm looking for.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

I just ran across this one you might want to add to your list.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/1746383711.html

My Cars
    '97 Acura CL
    wow, thanks for the whole list, this is awesome
    this is what forums are all about, connecting the people with the cars they want, and providing helpful and useful information to all members
    hopefully this list will come in handy, as there are a couple i haven't seen before, and i will report back if it does
    again, thanks OP

My Cars
    2000 m coupe
    Congrats on the baby and TYVM for the awesome site.

And I'm glad you're doing things in the right order: 1. Have a family 2. get an m coupe.

As opposed to getting the m coupe, having the family, and turfing the coupe.

Those stories get me bummed out.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast