Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Experiences With VF- Blown Motor While in VF Possession

My Cars
    2005 M3

VF blows customers motor in shop, then blames owner!

Simple wow. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5&postcount=22

Quote Originally Posted by bitsnbytes View Post
    This is my story- every single bit of it is the truth and my sole intention is to share my frustrations and disappointment in my F/I journey so hopefully others don't experience what I have been through.
    So I finally save enough money to buy an M3 (I had a Civic, an Acura to BMW) so I was extremely excited. Business was good at the time so I decided to treat myself with some aftermarket performance parts for my M3. That was when I joined M3forums and e46Fanatics to learn more about my M3 and F/I options. I'll be the first one to admit I'm not a car mechanic so I learned as much as I could by reading posts by more knowledgeable people. The consensus on the M3forums seemed to show that VF was a popular choice and appeared to have great customer service. It seemed like everybody who had VF was happy with their kit and this swayed me to go with VF.
    • Purchased a VF Stage 2 kit on 8/28/08 for $11,000
    - The car never ran right ever since I put VF's supercharger in there. From the start, there were cold start issues, idling problems, high long term fuel trims, and failed coil packs. I have sent my ECU back to VF at least 4 times over this 18 month ordeal for a re-flash
    • I have spent over $4,000 after install to troubleshoot, diagnose, and attempt to fix my car. Total costs are now at ~ $17,500 not to mention the costs of headers, cats, towing charges to get my car fixed, and lost time (which is very important to me):
    - $11,000 for kit
    - $2,500 for install
    - $4,000 mechanic fees to troubleshoot, diagnose, and parts
    Each time I contacted VF, their response was "there has to be some other issues with the car (fuel filter, O2 sensors, coil packs, clear adaptations, air leak)"
    • I ran all necessary tests and replaced all parts that VF asked me to do. I even bought gauges (AFR, Boost, and engine oil) to monitor my car so I could report back any symptoms. Great- more money I had to spend on my car...
    These are the symptoms (From October 2008 - February 2010) that I experienced with the VF Stage 2 kit on my car:
    • Cold start issues- would have to crank 2-3 times to start my car.
    • Idling issues during cold start (rough idle would go away after 5 min)
    • Long term fuel trims show +7/+9 when it should be around 0
    • My car seemed to run fine besides the symptoms noted above; I never got around to dynoing it but boost showed 10 PSI and AFRs were at low 11's at WOT
    • On X/X/09 (I will have to look at my calendar but can provide this date), I was doing some work in LA so I was finally able to bring my car down to VF (from San Jose, CA to Anaheim, CA) to have the issues mentioned above looked at and VF made some changes to my fuel rail but VF was unable to fix the cold start issue and high term fuel trims. *Note* they were busy with other installs so I was only able to get 3-4 hours of their time (over the period of 4 days) after driving all that way from San Jose, CA
    • VF released their "Alpha" N tune (mafless setup) early this year and I spoke to Nik and he recommend that I move to this tune to fix all of my issues. After putting this "Alpha" tune in below are the following symptoms I experienced (February 2010 - Present):
    - Car no longer had cold start issues BUT had horrible idling issues. ANYTIME my car was at idle (at a stop) AFRs were all over the place. Anybody within 20 feet of the car could hear the car idle surging. If you can imagine this was very embarrassing for me so the car pretty much sat in the garage unless I was driving it to get it looked at by a mechanic
    - Car seemed to drive perfectly fine besides the embarrassing idling issue. I did, however, get SES lights every now and then due to "Multiple Cylinder Misfires". AFRs were in the low 11's or high 10's and boost showed ~10 PSI
    - When the weather became warmer I noticed that when I turned on the A/C, the idle surge would virtually go away. I could literally turn on and off the A/C and the car would start and stop idle surging. (Based on my mechanics, yes I have multiple now, they all seem to think it's because of the software)
    - VF had no resolution for this. My car sat in my garage for 2 months since work consumed any free time I had. I ended up paying my friend to drive my car from San Jose, CA to Anaheim, CA for me. VF understood my frustration and paid for his flight back to San Jose, CA. My friend dropped off my car to VF on 4/28/10.
    • I get a call on 5/4/10 (Tuesday) from Nik. He reported that he put my car on the dyno and the first pull showed an incredible power of 490 rwhp. He mentioned that the car seemed to run great after clearing adaptations. During the 1st dyno pull all the readings look normal (boost, AFR). But when he put it on the dyno again shortly after a white cloud of smoke left my exhaust while the car was near redline and the car would not start anymore which indicated there might be engine damage. At this moment he did not know what occurred and requested permission to open my engine to evaluate the cause. He assured that VF will step up and resolve this issue for me. I was completely shocked but was comforted that VF would step up and rectify this issue. The way Nik phrased this I thought they would cover everything for me.
    • In the morning of 5/6/10, I get a call from Nik and he informs me that the engine has failed and I will need a new one. He claims that the engine failure *could* have occurred because the car had pre-existing engine issues before arriving at the shop. When I asked why he thought this- his response was "the way the crack formed in the engine it showed that it may have been there for some time." He offers that VF will cover 50% of the costs and I would cover the other 50%. I was COMPLETELY SHOCKED at this and immediately refused this offer. At this time- I demanded that VF buy back the supercharger and pay me for the cost of the motor. He refused to buy back a used Supercharger that I have had for a year and half. I expressed my disagreement and immediately asked him to put it in writing and to have him word the email carefully. I mentioned to him that I will go after him with a lawsuit.
    • Within an hour- I get a call and voicemail from Nik saying he has re-considered and wants to work with me. In an email, he writes that he is not 100% sure why the motor failed and that he would refund me the cost of the VF Stage 2 kit and for a new motor + labor to get motor installed but I could not mention this to provide negative publicity to VF.
    "We offer to provide this cost to you and your request for a refund of your invoice #9055 for product return on the understanding we discussed that you agree not to pursue legal recourse and not to provide any basis for negative publicity to VF to occur in this event"

I'm sorry this post has been so long but this was only a tip of the iceberg on how frustrated and disappointed I have been with VF but more importantly I needed to show the true character of how VF and Nik conducts their business. I have gave my situation considerable thought- by posting this information I may never get my full refund back from VF BUT at what moral cost? I am not rich and I NEED this refund. I have poured so much money, time, lost the love of my M3 because I've been so bitter at my experience. I literally have a useless car now after spending over $65,000 (this includes cost to purchase the car). How many conversations do you think I have with my significant other? I have been working 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week trying to save up enough money to purchase a home for me and my family? To add (I'm not trying to get more sympathy here but to show you how much anger I have built up) my fiancé's mother was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer ~ 1.5 years ago. Long story short, we did everything in our power financially to give her the best treatment. This has dramatically changed our lives more ways than one. People who know me on this forum can confirm this.
    So what is my intent of this post to share my experience. If you look at my post count on these forums, I don't contribute much due to my lack of car knowledge. This is me doing my part and trying to help others think twice about F/I. I want to contribute what I can to these forums and I could only do so through my experiences.
    I can provide receipts for all repairs and costs to my car to back my story. I can also provide all email communication that I have had with VF (over 100's of emails). I am meticulous about keeping all my records. Everything I have said in this email is the full 100% truth and I know others will go on here to mis-direct these facts and even my intentions. For the people who know me- I'm a hard working honest person.
    I'm unsure what to do at this moment but I'm open to ideas. My car is currently at VF and I need to come up with the money and get a trucking company to pick up my car. I hope they don't burn it to the ground after reading this... Please send any suggestions you may have.
    Last edited by ForceFed M3; 05-08-2010 at 05:23 PM.
    HPF Stage 2.75 #001

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    VF went alpha-N on boost?

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    At first this sounded like that other guy (is this you OP?) with a similar issue but he posted here about it and Nik finally made good. It appears Nik is also going to make good with this guy but he is posting about it anyhow. I'm a little confused, but there is no confusion as to the quality of their SC'er kits and initial customer service.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 930 View Post
    At first this sounded like that other guy (is this you OP?) with a similar issue but he posted here about it and Nik finally made good. It appears Nik is also going to make good with this guy but he is posting about it anyhow. I'm a little confused, but there is no confusion as to the quality of their SC'er kits and initial customer service.
    No the other guy is Mike, this guy is Patrick
    HPF Stage 2.75 #001

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Im confused. Why is he still pissed? It seems like VF is paying for a new motor, install, and refunding the sc kit he had on the car for 1.5 years. he is still pissed about this? Are you serious? I paid a shop in town to fully assemble the entire bottom end of my motor and they forgot to install the oil squirters and it subsequently failed. I have over $5000 in this motor and they are only paying me $500 and giving a m52 bare block (mine was s52). THIS, is getting fucked. The way I see it, it took a bit of "pushing" but VF is paying for everything. I wish I could say the same about the shop I delt with. I was basically forced to eat the cost of the last motor, plus a new build on a new block. THAT, is something to be pissed about!!
    \
    Last edited by rt turbo; 05-08-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

Mitch is offline for science, you monster Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    cars
    Wait, so VF finally agrees to cover everything, and he turns around and burns the bridge even though he NEEDs the money? It's one thing to get screwed. It's another to make a bad situation worse.

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    I completely agree with some of the guys over there. It's nice to see somebody with morals. I dealt with similar issues with a custom subwoofer (obviously, significantly less expensive than all this) but I chose to not take the money and voice my story as well. Said company is not selling drivers anymore on our caraudio forums thankfully, due to me speaking up (after nobody beleived me of my issues) then seeing others have them one by one, and having the courage to speak up as well.....

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Had the company taken care of the issue and been receptive early on,
    the story may have been different.

Every company has its issues
    (as someone recently told me, though very offensively )
    it is how they take care of the customer,
    no matter WHO is at fault.

The process, HOWEVER, starts EARLY in the relationship when both customer and company voice their needs/expectations of the service. If one or the other cannot live up to those expectations, then things get messy.

It is NOT ONLY the company selling the product that needs to be accountable, but also the customer.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Why was this posted here? To show vf took care of their problem?

My Cars
    the bus
    Another similar VF story I have heard in the last few months. They need to get their shit straight or go bankrupt.

My Cars
    w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
    Well the guy did say the reason he went with VF is because he did research and everybody was happy. The reason he posted his story is probably for others to be aware before of his issues/troubles and be able to make a better decision when it comes to FI'ing their M3.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Wow. VF is a stand-up company. Kudos to them.
    Garrett

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    Why was this posted here? To show vf took care of their problem?
    Its a jab at VF. Note the OPs name.

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Propaganda. Sure. Drama. yeah. Innocent. No.
    Last edited by milKt; 05-08-2010 at 09:26 PM.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw buddy View Post
    Well the guy did say the reason he went with VF is because he did research and everybody was happy. The reason he posted his story is probably for others to be aware before of his issues/troubles and be able to make a better decision when it comes to FI'ing their M3.
    Apparently anything bad said towards VF on M3forums is deleted so how will anyone know what is what?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 930 View Post
    Apparently anything bad said towards VF on M3forums is deleted so how will anyone know what is what?
    We have the same sorta opposite situation here lately. Anyone can say bad things about VF but no one can question the other side.

My Cars
    AA S/C E46 M3
    its funny how VF always made fun of AA for using W/A injection for added protection by saying "We dont use funny stuff inside the trunk" but why do i have a feeling W/A or Meth just maybe could've saved these motors.

i mean their stage 2 is making nearly 500whp on pump only.(no w/a). sure our DME pulls timing better than any other typical ECUs out there but if you drive your car really hard all the time, 1 bad tank of gas can reallly do some damage in my opinion. i mean both AA stage 1 and HPF stage 1s (no w/a) only makes around 415-420whp.
    425whp 310wtq @ 7 psi

Active Autowerke S/C Kit | Ebay Headers | Race flow cats | Race flow x pipe | Stock Muffler
    AEM Wideband & Boost gauge w/ATI Epod | V-CSL Bumper - Bootlid - Diffuser | OEM 19" Wheels
    Koni Struts w/Eibach Springs | GC RSM | Powerflex RTAB | RE Spacers | V1 Hardwired | Dice kit w/Spec Dock

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I don't really see the issue other than VF being incomptent and not bending over backwards at first. The guy that posted this up(not HPF) seems like the bigger ass in this situation. Sure, sometimes you get a shitty product, but if the company is willing to help you out and gives the simple terms of "don't sue us or blast us publicly about this," and you do exactly the later then say you still expect the full refund and a new engine... what a douche.

My Cars
    G8 GXP 6 SPD
    Wait. So a guy boosted an engine output 50% or more, and threatens a lawsuit when the motor fails? Oh yeah, it's BFC.

You plays the game, and you win and lose.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY View Post
    Wait. So a guy boosted an engine output 50% or more, and threatens a lawsuit when the motor fails? Oh yeah, it's BFC.

You plays the game, and you win and lose.
    My thoughts too. Only on BF.com does almost doubling the stock HP on an almost stock engine mean it should last forever regardless of how much it's beaten on just because you paid for a "kit."

Strangely enough so many people think this I guess the "kit makers" cover a few engines and build that cost into all their kits.

jmargo is offline Guess who's back ? Moderator
    My Cars
    CTS-V , Blown 332i
    If bitsnbytes would like to make a thread he is more that welcome to register and tell his story.
    Sias Tuned, Vortech Blown, 3.2L S52...456WHP/360WTQ

Sias Tuning | HowertonEngineering | Davis Motorsports Club

My Cars
    M3

My Experiences With VF- Blown Motor While in VF Possession

This is my story- every single bit of it is the truth and my sole intention is to share my frustrations and disappointment in my F/I journey so hopefully others don't experience what I have been through.

So I finally save enough money to buy an M3 (I had a Civic, an Acura to BMW) so I was extremely excited. Business was good at the time so I decided to treat myself with some aftermarket performance parts for my M3. That was when I joined M3forums and e46Fanatics to learn more about my M3 and F/I options. I'll be the first one to admit I'm not a car mechanic so I learned as much as I could by reading posts by more knowledgeable people. The consensus on the M3forums seemed to show that VF was a popular choice and appeared to have great customer service. It seemed like everybody who had VF was happy with their kit and this swayed me to go with VF.

• Purchased a VF Stage 2 kit on 8/28/08 for $11,000
    - The car never ran right ever since I put VF's supercharger in there. From the start, there were cold start issues, idling problems, high long term fuel trims, and failed coil packs. I have sent my ECU back to VF at least 4 times over this 18 month ordeal for a re-flash
    • I have spent over $4,000 after install to troubleshoot, diagnose, and attempt to fix my car. Total costs are now at ~ $17,500 not to mention the costs of headers, cats, towing charges to get my car fixed, and lost time (which is very important to me):
    - $11,000 for kit
    - $2,500 for install
    - $4,000 mechanic fees to troubleshoot, diagnose, and parts

Each time I contacted VF, their response was "there has to be some other issues with the car (fuel filter, O2 sensors, coil packs, clear adaptations, air leak)"
    • I ran all necessary tests and replaced all parts that VF asked me to do. I even bought gauges (AFR, Boost, and engine oil) to monitor my car so I could report back any symptoms. Great- more money I had to spend on my car...

These are the symptoms (From October 2008 - February 2010) that I experienced with the VF Stage 2 kit on my car:
    • Cold start issues- would have to crank 2-3 times to start my car.
    • Idling issues during cold start (rough idle would go away after 5 min)
    • Long term fuel trims show +7/+9 when it should be around 0
    • My car seemed to run fine besides the symptoms noted above; I never got around to dynoing it but boost showed 10 PSI and AFRs were at low 11's at WOT

• The first week of April 2009, I was doing some work in LA so I was finally able to bring my car down to VF (from San Jose, CA to Anaheim, CA) to have the issues mentioned above looked at and VF made some changes to my fuel rail but VF was unable to fix the cold start issue and high term fuel trims. *Note* they were busy with other installs so I was only able to get 3-4 hours of their time (over the period of 4 days) after driving all that way from San Jose, CA
    • VF released their "Alpha" N tune (mafless setup) early this year and I spoke to Nik and he recommend that I move to this tune to fix all of my issues. After putting this "Alpha" tune in below are the following symptoms I experienced (February 2010 - Present):
    - Car no longer had cold start issues BUT had horrible idling issues. ANYTIME my car was at idle (at a stop) AFRs were all over the place. Anybody within 20 feet of the car could hear the car idle surging. If you can imagine this was very embarrassing for me so the car pretty much sat in the garage unless I was driving it to get it looked at by a mechanic
    - Car seemed to drive perfectly fine besides the embarrassing idling issue. I did, however, get SES lights every now and then due to "Multiple Cylinder Misfires". AFRs were in the low 11's or high 10's and boost showed ~10 PSI
    - When the weather became warmer I noticed that when I turned on the A/C, the idle surge would virtually go away. I could literally turn on and off the A/C and the car would start and stop idle surging. (Based on my mechanics, yes I have multiple now, they all seem to think it's because of the software)
    - VF had no resolution for this. My car sat in my garage for 2 months since work consumed any free time I had. I ended up paying my friend to drive my car from San Jose, CA to Anaheim, CA for me. VF understood my frustration and paid for his flight back to San Jose, CA. My friend dropped off my car to VF on 4/28/10.
    • I get a call on 5/4/10 (Tuesday) from Nik. He reported that he put my car on the dyno and the first pull showed an incredible power of 490 rwhp. He mentioned that the car seemed to run great after clearing adaptations. During the 1st dyno pull all the readings look normal (boost, AFR). But when he put it on the dyno again shortly after a white cloud of smoke left my exhaust while the car was near redline and the car would not start anymore which indicated there might be engine damage. At this moment he did not know what occurred and requested permission to open my engine to evaluate the cause. He assured that VF will step up and resolve this issue for me. I was completely shocked but was comforted that VF would step up and rectify this issue. The way Nik phrased this I thought they would cover everything for me.
    • In the morning of 5/6/10, I get a call from Nik and he informs me that the engine has failed and I will need a new one. He claims that the engine failure *could* have occurred because the car had pre-existing engine issues before arriving at the shop. When I asked why he thought this- his response was "the way the crack formed in the engine it showed that it may have been there for some time." He offers that VF will cover 50% of the costs and I would cover the other 50%. I was COMPLETELY SHOCKED at this and immediately refused this offer. At this time- I demanded that VF buy back the supercharger and pay me for the cost of the motor. He refused to buy back a used Supercharger that I have had for a year and half. I expressed my disagreement and immediately asked him to put it in writing and to have him word the email carefully. I mentioned to him that I will go after him with a lawsuit.
    • Within an hour- I get a call and voicemail from Nik saying he has re-considered and wants to work with me. In an email, he writes that he is not 100% sure why the motor failed and that he would refund me the cost of the VF Stage 2 kit and for a new motor + labor to get motor installed but I could not mention this to provide negative publicity to VF.

"We offer to provide this cost to you and your request for a refund of your invoice #9055 for product return on the understanding we discussed that you agree not to pursue legal recourse and not to provide any basis for negative publicity to VF to occur in this event"

I'm sorry this post has been so long but this was only a tip of the iceberg on how frustrated and disappointed I have been with VF but more importantly I needed to show the true character of how VF and Nik conducts their business. I have gave my situation considerable thought- by posting this information I may never get my full refund back from VF BUT at what moral cost? I am not rich and I NEED this refund. I have poured so much money, time, lost the love of my M3 because I've been so bitter at my experience. I literally have a useless car now after spending over $65,000 (this includes cost to purchase the car). How many conversations do you think I have with my significant other? I have been working 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week trying to save up enough money to purchase a home for me and my family? To add (I'm not trying to get more sympathy here but to show you how much anger I have built up) my fiancé's mother was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer ~ 1.5 years ago. Long story short, we did everything in our power financially to give her the best treatment. This has dramatically changed our lives more ways than one. People who know me on this forum can confirm this.

So what is my intent of this post to share my experience and hopefully get VF to pay me. If you look at my post count on these forums, I don't contribute much due to my lack of car knowledge. This is me doing my part and trying to help others think twice about F/I. I want to contribute what I can to these forums and I could only do so through my experiences.

I have talked to two other forum members that also had blown engines from VF. MSPired did not get any money until he posted his story. Even tho Nik agreed to pay- they both told me it would be be a painful and long drawn out process of actually getting the money. Nik was suppose to draft an agreement and have it to me last week- then he said Monday. I got fed up with broken promises (see above).

I can provide receipts for all repairs and costs to my car to back my story. I can also provide all email communication that I have had with VF (over 100's of emails). I am meticulous about keeping all my records. Everything I have said in this email is the full 100% truth and I know others will go on here to mis-direct these facts and even my intentions. For the people who know me- I'm a hard working honest person.

I'm unsure what to do at this moment but I'm open to ideas. My car is currently at VF and I need to come up with the money and get a trucking company to pick up my car. I hope they don't burn it to the ground after reading this... Please send any suggestions you may have.

I want to add that I never gave permission to allow VF to put my car on a dyno. I gave them permission to troubleshoot my car (not sure if putting a car on a dyno is classified as troubleshooting...) and drive it to and from the VF shop and their homes. I guess they don't test drive during business hours.
    Last edited by networkgeek; 05-10-2010 at 02:25 AM.

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Yeah, we read about this the other day.

You engine went boom.
    VF wanted to help you half-way, you threatened.
    VF took care of you,
    but you're posting negative propaganda here after they asked you not to?

Hang in there.
    Last edited by milKt; 05-09-2010 at 09:24 PM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    sigh

My Cars
    93 325iS
    lol.

OP, your motor was likely damaged prior to VF getting their hands on it. What were your compression and leakdown numbers on day 1 of kit install, and as the symptoms changed and got worse? You should be happy VF is helping you, while their software blows nut, its only partially their fault that the motor popped...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast