Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 speed trans swap tips

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30

5 speed trans swap tips

There's no need to do a step by step as there are plenty of great write-ups on this and other forums. But there are a couple of details that I thought I'd share from things learned along the way.

Parts list

When collecting your parts make sure to grab this little jumper. It replaces your starter relay and makes for a clean factory install. Just swap it and your done. The car will start and no messing with wires at the shift selector switch.

Here it is installed in place of the starter relay used by the automatics.

Another item worth mentioning is this little spacer. It sits between the flywheel and the bolts. It helps spread the load of the bolt heads and prevents galling of the flywheel. Make sure to get this if you are sourcing parts from different places. This spacer is only used on the single mass flywheels.

Another small detail that could be a major headache is the pilot bearing. M50's use the larger ID bearing. It would suck to press the wrong one in, it would suck even more to try and install the trans into it. I caught the would be problem before hand.

Along with the above mentioned pilot bearing is the clutch alignment tool. This may only be an issue in a case like mine where I used an m20 clutch kit because of my flywheel choice. So wrap the end in electrical tape to match the ID of the larger bearing. Then your disk will be properly aligned.

Don't forget to grab this little reverse light harness. Make sure it has the square rubber boot.

You can use the plug that was used by the sensor mounted in the tail shaft of the auto trans. It fits the reverse light switch perfectly.

Splice the plug onto the reverse light harness and the finished product should look like this.

The other end of the harness can use the plug from the shift interlock solenoid off the old a/t selector. Snip that off the solenoid and splice that into the reverse light wires from the car's harness. PnP. Here it is installed in the trans tunnel. Notice the other plug. It came off the a/t main harness. I cut the end off the harness and slid the boot off it. Then I took a rubber plug and sealed the hole. Popped it in place and 'voila. I later rotated these away from each other for more clearance for the 5 speed.

My car is a 92 and has the provisions for the front trans mounts. Luckily so did my trans. Some say that this front trans mount is not required, but I like the fact that 4 mounts will be supporting the trans instead of 2. Also if I remove the engine the trans is self supported. The problem is that the U shaped bracket from the auto will not work on the 5 speed and the 5 speed part is NLA. Hard to come by at the yards too. So I modified mine.

There is a large bump that needs to be removed. Quick work with a cut off wheel and a flapper wheel to clean up the burrs. Yes that is a genuine Harbor Freight $14.99 grinder.

Next I sized it up...

Then I welded in a fender washer taking care to line up the hole as needed.

On the back side I added a couple of washers to match the rise of the other side. This way the mount sits perfectly flat on the trans. Ugly welds but they'll hold

A perfect fit.

Here's the trans fully supported and ready for the motor.

Next I messed around with fabbing up a DSSR. I couldn't justify the $$$ for the beautiful UUC piece so a made something up out of some scrap, two square nuts, threaded rod and some washers. The threaded rod allowed me to hold everything together and gave me extra weight in the rod.

I welded the nuts inside the larger tubing, threaded everything together and used the factory selector rod to measure prior to drilling the holes. Here it is mocked up prior to fully welding it. I wanted to use bolts with lock nuts so I can dial in how much drag will be on the rod. I can leave it floppy loose for a factory feel, or tighten it up a bit and give it a notchy feeling. I have it somewhere in the middle and it feels mechanical but smooth and very positive. (notice the rubber plugs have been rotated for clearance.)

I also eliminated the rubber bushing at the trans shift arm.

Here it is pressed into the arm with the pin ready to install.

...on the trans and ready to go. Notice the reverse light wire harness running across the top of the trans.

That's it. I'm all out of things to type.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by LouieD; 05-04-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added parts list (PDF)

My Cars
    Scrap
    This thread is amazing. Thank You Louie!

My Cars
    17 330i Touring M-sport
    Nice~!

My Cars
    e34, e39
    Very Nice. The devil is in the details, this is the kind of stuff that's gold. Of course I'm missing a few of these pieces like the reverse hardness and plug., I wonder if they're similar across all manual e34's.
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    Girl car
    I don't have that spacer you're referring to, and neither did my auto setup.
    Vehicles:
    (Sold) 95' 525 - ZF320 5-speed swap, 3.46LSD rear, Raceland headers + straight pipe
    (Current) 2012 Scion tC 6-spd M/T - slow

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve92E34 View Post
    This thread is amazing. Thank You Louie!
    Thanks, hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
    Nice~!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgearhead View Post
    Very Nice. The devil is in the details, this is the kind of stuff that's gold. Of course I'm missing a few of these pieces like the reverse hardness and plug., I wonder if they're similar across all manual e34's.
    Thanks. The reverse harness I used came from an 89 m20 manual car, so they might be all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    I don't have that spacer you're referring to, and neither did my auto setup.
    The auto's don't use it. It's strictly a manual trans item for the single mass fw. I'll edit the above post to reflect it. Thanks for pointing it out.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    Louie....once again you are awesome. I can't wait to do my swap. August needs to come sooner!

Does your offer still stand for helping me find a lift and air tools and help busting out the swap over a long weekend?

TRM Turbo, Hybrid Audio Technologies stereo, S50 Cams, list goes on and on and on...

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Hmmm, so if I swap my 535 from a dual mass to the single mass out of an e28 535, then I will require that spacer?

My Cars
    1995 AlpineWeiß 525i
    Damn this is awesome. I hope I can grow the balls to do my own swap. Maybe once I go through the process of collecting all the parts.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerhoze View Post
    Hmmm, so if I swap my 535 from a dual mass to the single mass out of an e28 535, then I will require that spacer?
    According to www.realoem.com yes. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=20&hl=25

Same spacer. (shim is what the ETK calls it) p/n 11221262827.
    Last edited by LouieD; 05-04-2010 at 02:02 AM.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    According to www.realoem.com yes. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=20&hl=25

Same spacer. (shim is what the ETK calls it) p/n 11221262827.
    Well, I am glad I saw this thread in that case!

My Cars
    8/88 750iL
    Well done sir!

1989 BMW 750iL (prod 08/88) (vin: 2768675)
    Gone but not forgotten: 1994 BMW 740iL (prod 10/11/1993) (vin: *DE89667) 6spd swap, 2001 BMW 740i Sport

My Cars
    F30 320i/6, E46 328i/5
    Great tips! The pictures are very informative. They certainly would have helped me in a couple spots, even though the swap I did was on an M60.

My Cars
    X5, 528iT 98 M Roadstr
    Louie, thanks for more great details & pics.

My Cars
    various
    Now that's an informative post. I'd vote but the option is gone!

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerhoze View Post
    Well, I am glad I saw this thread in that case!
    Glad to be of help.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmer View Post
    Well done sir!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 357 View Post
    Great tips! The pictures are very informative. They certainly would have helped me in a couple spots, even though the swap I did was on an M60.
    Thank you very much. For me, even if a thread does not directly apply to my situation, it may get me thinking in the right direction. I hope my posts do the same for others.

Quote Originally Posted by jel View Post
    Louie, thanks for more great details & pics.
    Thank you for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by zubbie View Post
    Now that's an informative post. I'd vote but the option is gone!
    Thanks, it's the thought that counts.

I've edited the first post to include a link to a PDF with my particular parts list. If anyone knows a good place to host an excel spreadsheet let me know, and I'll do that as well. Thanks to RussianKid for the idea to put together a spreadsheet parts list. It became a great tool to keep track of my parts and expenses.

My Cars
    Girl car
    Thanks, hope it helps.

Thank you.

Thanks. The reverse harness I used came from an 89 m20 manual car, so they might be all the same.

The auto's don't use it. It's strictly a manual trans item for the single mass fw. I'll edit the above post to reflect it. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Oh ok, single mass. I have dual so that is why I don't have that nor does it show up on realoem.
    Vehicles:
    (Sold) 95' 525 - ZF320 5-speed swap, 3.46LSD rear, Raceland headers + straight pipe
    (Current) 2012 Scion tC 6-spd M/T - slow

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    im LOVIN the DSSR, ive been wanting to do this as well, and will once i order up a 545i shifter. where do you acquire the brass bushing there?

My Cars
    e34, e39
    I've edited the first post to include a link to a PDF with my particular parts list. If anyone knows a good place to host an excel spreadsheet let me know, and I'll do that as well. Thanks to RussianKid for the idea to put together a spreadsheet parts list. It became a great tool to keep track of my parts and expenses.
    How about Google docs?
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    also, are those cubelike white pieces bushings? mo pictars of dssr!

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by sxracer001 View Post
    im LOVIN the DSSR, ive been wanting to do this as well, and will once i order up a 545i shifter. where do you acquire the brass bushing there?
    I picked up two bushings at OSH hardware and sized/pressed them together to make one. Then I sized that to the arm and the pin. Would have been super easy if I had access to a machine shop, but it was all done by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgearhead View Post
    How about Google docs?
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by sxracer001 View Post
    also, are those cubelike white pieces bushings? mo pictars of dssr!
    The shiny piece (reflected flash) and the one next to it are the square nuts that fit into the larger square tubing. I'm going to make another one just for the sake of practice and write up. I didn't want to put out too much information on it until I had a chance to drive mine around a bit, but 250 miles later it still feels great. My son drove my touring the other day and loved it. He wants one for his e30.
    Last edited by LouieD; 05-04-2010 at 12:58 PM.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    very nice, looking forward to the writeup!

My Cars
    99 m3
    Did nobody else find connecting the hard line to the master cyl on the fire wall a huge PITA?

Would that shim that goes in between flywheel and bolts cause the starter not to crank? I am currently having that issue with my car right now and I know I didnt use that spacer.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg729 View Post
    Did nobody else find connecting the hard line to the master cyl on the fire wall a huge PITA?

Would that shim that goes in between flywheel and bolts cause the starter not to crank? I am currently having that issue with my car right now and I know I didnt use that spacer.
    The hard line off the clutch master is a real PITA, and I had the engine out! The shim should not cause any issues in your situation as it does not locate or change the position of the flywheel.

My Cars
    99 m3
    The hard line off the clutch master is a real PITA, and I had the engine out! The shim should not cause any issues in your situation as it does not locate or change the position of the flywheel.
    Lol so did I. I actually have to take it back out. I think this time im just going to cut a 11mm craftsman wrench so it will clear the brake booster and steering column.

I am still stumped as well on my issue. I had if rigged up like a M20 with the battery in the front. Im going to do a m30 setup with it under the rear and check a few other things over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast