Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euro Plate for real license plate

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3

Euro Plate for real license plate

So i was at a BMW meet in orlando yesterday and a guy with a e92M had a euro plate on the back with his actual characters & tag sticker, he said he has never been pulled over, anybody ever seen this before and is it legal?

1999 ///M3- SS reps,AA GENIII,CAIS, M50, AA tune, BC Racing Coils,Powerflex,Vorshlag,Understeer SSK & more..

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Depends on states, but yes. Plenty of ppl have been doing that for many years.

As long as everything matches up correctly, state allows it, then go for it.

It's harder in states that require both license plates, given the match up. Some only require one plate on the vehicle, where you'll see ppl do whatever. But like in CO, if it matches your actual serial number given for plates, no problems.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 2dr Coup
    Quote Originally Posted by MThrizze View Post
    So i was at a BMW meet in orlando yesterday and a guy with a e92M had a euro plate on the back with his actual characters & tag sticker, he said he has never been pulled over, anybody ever seen this before and is it legal?
    Did that guy put his Florida tags on his Euro Plate? or did he have some actual Euro Tags?

Quote Originally Posted by SneauxM3 View Post
    Depends on states, but yes. Plenty of ppl have been doing that for many years.

As long as everything matches up correctly, state allows it, then go for it.

It's harder in states that require both license plates, given the match up. Some only require one plate on the vehicle, where you'll see ppl do whatever. But like in CO, if it matches your actual serial number given for plates, no problems.
    WoW i didnt think there is a way to be legal when putting the Euro plates on. Who would i have to contact in my state to see if they would allow me to have the Euro Plates on if they matched the ones issued to me?
    Last edited by m3newbooty; 05-02-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    broads & booze!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneauxM3 View Post
    But like in CO, if it matches your actual serial number given for plates, no problems.
    This is like the recent immigration law in AZ. Just because most (and i stress most) cops dont pull you over does not make it legal.

I doubt using anything but a state sanctioned plate is legal.

In NY one can register their car with an old plate - provided the old New York plate's registration expired the year your car was built, and provided the number is not in use by someone else, and provided you physically have both plates. needless to say I used current plates on my 68.

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    I remember reading in the newspaper several years back that in CA it is legal to use a euro plate up front as long as it matches your actual state issued rear plate. Not sure if it still the law (but having a front plate still is). I personally wouldn't do this since I don't want a plate of any kind on the front of my car.

EisnerRacing is offline VF Super Charged 9psi BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    97 M3 4dr 5sd VF S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
    I remember reading in the newspaper several years back that in CA it is legal to use a euro plate up front as long as it matches your actual state issued rear plate. Not sure if it still the law (but having a front plate still is). I personally wouldn't do this since I don't want a plate of any kind on the front of my car.

thank god i live in Ga. we dont have to have the front plate..

byw nice car and killer wheels...lol

My Cars
    broads & booze!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EisnerRacing View Post
    thank god i live in Ga. we dont have to have the front plate..

byw nice car and killer wheels...lol
    i would rather live with the ugliest front plate on my car than have to deal with GA humidity and all that goes with it.

My Cars
    E46M3,E36M3,E90,E23,66Mu
    Here in California we have to have the front plate. I had a euro plate made with my user name on it and I got tickets all the time. I then had one made replicating my state issued number and have not received a single ticket for it. It is still not legal. I think the police are more forgiving if it matches the state issued plate.
    -Brian

-Varis-Hartge-Seibon-Umnitza-TRM--Mason Engineering-Zionsville-Mishimoto-Stewart-Conforti-BMW ///M/LTW

My Cars
    M3 coupe and M3 vert
    after 4 hrs of being transferred around DMV (virginia) a couple years ago...the legal answer (we have to have front and rear) is NO, you are NOT allowed to use euro tags...however. I did have customized state tags...so i ordered a custom front euro tag. i got 2 tickets with that car (was a 95 325is) for speeding and the cops didn't give a rats ass abt the tag...b/c it was the same thing as my state issued tags. i did, however, keep my state front just in case. i will be putting euro front and rear on the ///M this summer tho, we shall see what happens
    i have spoken to a few state troopers abt this and they did not know the legalities of this but honestly didn't care...what do you do when you lose your tag? you put a cardboard in the window w/ your tag number...you've ALL seen it a few times. its no different. xyz-1234 on one tag vs another is still xyz-1234
    Last edited by marineifra; 05-04-2010 at 03:25 PM.

My Cars
    broads & booze!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by marineifra View Post
    after 4 hrs of being transferred around DMV (virginia) a couple years ago...the legal answer (we have to have front and rear) is NO, you are NOT allowed to use euro tags...however. I did have customized state tags...so i ordered a custom front euro tag. i got 2 tickets with that car (was a 95 325is) for speeding and the cops didn't give a rats ass abt the tag...b/c it was the same thing as my state issued tags. i did, however, keep my state front just in case. i will be putting euro front and rear on the ///M this summer tho, we shall see what happens
    i have spoken to a few state troopers abt this and they did not know the legalities of this but honestly didn't care...what do you do when you lose your tag? you put a cardboard in the window w/ your tag number...you've ALL seen it a few times. its no different. xyz-1234 on one tag vs another is still xyz-1234
    When one loses a plate in New York one usually goes to DMV or the local police station to report the lost plate. One then usually gets a new pair of plates. (With custom plates it could be a bit tricky. When my car was stolen the magistrates assn wouldnt let me have my old number for one year from the date the car was stolen.)

The reason one gets a new set of plates is to keep the FBI away. Had the owner of the plates on the Pathfinder found smoking in Times Square properly disposed of his plates he would not have been visited by the FBI. When on reports a lost or stolen plate they dont have to go to court in the Bronx to explain why a car that does not resemble their car got a ticket in the South Bronx.

That's how it was done in New York. Y'all may do it a little different down south.

Also, not having a front plate on a car in a state that requires two plates is reason enough for a police officer to pull you over - and then check your immigration status, tread depth, exhaust, headlights, etc.
    Last edited by Tommm; 05-04-2010 at 04:21 PM.

My Cars
    M3 coupe and M3 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
    When one loses a plate in New York one usually goes to DMV or the local police station to report the lost plate. One then usually gets a new pair of plates. (With custom plates it could be a bit tricky. When my car was stolen the magistrates assn wouldnt let me have my old number for one year from the date the car was stolen.)

The reason one gets a new set of plates is to keep the FBI away. Had the owner of the plates on the Pathfinder found smoking in Times Square properly disposed of his plates he would not have been visited by the FBI. When on reports a lost or stolen plate they dont have to go to court in the Bronx to explain why a car that does not resemble their car got a ticket in the South Bronx.

That's how it was done in New York. Y'all may do it a little different down south.

Also, not having a front plate on a car in a state that requires two plates is reason enough for a police officer to pull you over - and then check your immigration status, tread depth, exhaust, headlights, etc.
    you know, i never gave it a "modern" thought...growing up, i saw lots of "lost" tag cardboard signs...kind of took it for granted.

My Cars
    99 Cosmos M3
    Quote Originally Posted by marineifra View Post
    So, what you're saying is you can get euro style plates? I don't want a European tag,just one that has my state but looks like the euro ones. This is what I was thinking about: http://www.licenseplates.tv/florida_...late_7052.html

Based on what you said, I could put this on the back and be fine? (there's no front plate in FL)
    Last edited by btmrdwng19; 06-20-2010 at 08:50 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 05 Audi All Road V8, 05 M3 ZCP
    As far as CA, it's not really a question of whether it's legal or not, but how long until a cop pulls you over.
    The fact that they might not pull you over or give you a ticket for sometime does not make it legal.

I drove around with just my Munich Euro Delivery plates front and back for 3 years until the CHP decided to pull me over.
    It was a rookie officer in training to boot, otherwise I doubt they would have even bothered.
    You should have seen their faces when I told them the car had been in the US for 3 years...

On my All-Road, I never even *bothered* to put my CA plates at all. Drove around for 4 years without getting stopped or pulled over.
    So in the end, it's a lottery. But you will eventually get stopped. Keep that in mind next time you have a beer or two...

My Cars
    M30 E30 / HJ 47
    Well now that I read this I MUST try my luck with the good ol' boys down here in South Carolina.

I'm gonna do it with matching numbers on the back and take the tag stickers and put them right in the middle. XXX(month/year sticker)XXX and I did find a euro one with the SC state flag to the left.

Hopefully they think this is patriotic enough, wish me luck!

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe
    I'd keep the legit ones in the trunk just for the sake of it if you get in hassle and need proof.

My Cars
    99 Cosmos M3
    Hmmm, I'm going to ask the DMV/Tax collectors office about this next week when my car finally arrives and I register it.

My Cars
    1999 M3 (Manual) (Cosmos on Tan)
    In BC, we are required to have a front and rear plate. Because the North American plates are so damn tall, I took the liberty of folding my front plate over. (as you can see in my sig)

What I figure is this:
    Ive seen many a vehicle with a damaged/warped front plate due to some unknown circumstances to the front of the vehicle and if they can get away with it, then why wouldnt I be able to go with a slightly modified "on purpose" plate.

Ive been going this way for 3 years so far and have had no issues. Then again, I don't really draw attention to myself either... other than driving a blacked bmw
    ... and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for dessert. Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Sidewalk

My Cars
    E36
    I asked the Illinois Driver's Service dpt (secretary of state), and they replied that I can't run any other plate than what is issued.

I plan on folding it like Zhollett did, around my euro plate. so it looks like a euro, but is really the IL plate.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    some crap
    why is this in the e36 m3 section?
    This is my Signature.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4, 2004 X5 4.4i
    What is the point??? It's a license plate...

And the front euro plate is silly. It's just as illegal as running no plate, but stands out more. Just run no front plate! I've never had a front plate on my car ever and have never had a cop mention it, even when I've been pulled over.
    Aaron

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronsdropzone View Post
    What is the point??? It's a license plate...

And the front euro plate is silly. It's just as illegal as running no plate, but stands out more. Just run no front plate! I've never had a front plate on my car ever and have never had a cop mention it, even when I've been pulled over.
    You just haven't run into the right CHP officer on the wrong day of his roid rage PMS cycle yet...
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    M30 E30 / HJ 47
    I might go as far as taking the registration stickers off and putting them on the euro plate. That way the cop can see the numbers match.

If jim boe can have a plate of bass fishing or dale jr. down here, why can't we have euro plates as a thank you to the BMW plant here who provides thousands of jobs (i'm working on my court defense)

My Cars
    03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by GotBHP? View Post
    You just haven't run into the right CHP officer on the wrong day of his roid rage PMS cycle yet...
    ...or a bored county Sheriff! Only time I've ever been pulled over. He was going the opposite way too. Scared the crap out of me when he spun a U and chased me down.

My Cars
    M30 E30 / HJ 47

My Cars
    e36 97 328i/e30 90 325i
    Just Got A Euro Plate Im So Stoked!
    E36 1997 328i Hardtop Convertible
    Nexen Bosh Bilstein NGK Powerflex LLumar Sony Pioneer Infinity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast