Thread: leaking shift shaft seal

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3

leaking shift shaft seal

Hello

I am searching for a DIY to replace a leaking shift shaft seal.

I ordered the shift shaft seal but the part description says "23 12 1 228 443 shift linkage seal". Is it the same as the "shift shaft seal"?

Thanks

My Cars
    97' M44 Roadster

Courtesy of BobC over @ Bimmerfest

And to answer your question I would assume yes. I've heard it called selector rod seal, shifter/shift link seal. BTW where did you get that terminology for it? "shift shaft seal" man I can't even say that! Well anyway good luck with changing that shitty shift shaft seal son lol
    Last edited by RemedialMoFo; 04-23-2010 at 03:10 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by RemedialMoFo View Post

Courtesy of BobC over @ Bimmerfest

BTW where did you get that terminology for it? "shift shaft seal"
    from the dealer..

My Cars
    97' M44 Roadster
    Well if you continue to use it do it very very slowly or there will be hell to pay lol. Are you looking for a seal for the Getrag?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    No DIY write ups from me, but I replaced one just about a week ago.

There's not much room to remove the original seal without damaging the surface of the shift rod, but the seal bore is deep enough to push the original seal in, and fit the new seal "on top" of the original seal.

Last edited by Randy Forbes; 04-23-2010 at 10:50 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    It was a major pita to pry the seal out and put the pin back in properly. Other than that, the other steps were straightforward.

My Cars
    97' M44 Roadster
    Next time take Randy's advice but glad to hear you got it done. You didn't score the rod any getting out the old seal out did you?

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by RemedialMoFo View Post
    Next time take Randy's advice but glad to hear you got it done. You didn't score the rod any getting out the old seal out did you?
    I got a friend to help me out with that. I will check the rod again this weekend.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by sgowkanapalli View Post
    I got a friend to help me out with that. I will check the rod again this weekend.
    Did you replace the seal without dropping the tranny? My leak is either coming from there or the output shaft area.
    -Phil

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    Did you replace the seal without dropping the tranny? My leak is either coming from there or the output shaft area.
    You should be able to that in situ. Again, my recommendation is to push the original seal further in and apply the new seal in addition to that one.

I think it's unlikely, based on the cars I've seen, that the output shaft seal is leaking. I'm positive that it too could be replaced without pulling the xmsn, though I have not tried it.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    You should be able to that in situ. Again, my recommendation is to push the original seal further in and apply the new seal in addition to that one.

I think it's unlikely, based on the cars I've seen, that the output shaft seal is leaking. I'm positive that it too could be replaced without pulling the xmsn, though I have not tried it.
    Phil would need to clean the transmission up pretty carefully before trying that, I think. The output flange requires heat (ZF specs 90 degrees C, I think) to allow it to be pulled off the output shaft. To me, that would mean putting a propane torch on it. Since his transmission is covered in oil, that could be a dangerous proposition when under the car.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

Good to know...the output shaft seal seems to be a lot more work. I'll have the car on the lift this weekend to see exactly where the leak is coming from. Thanks for the tip.
    -Phil