Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 BMW E46 318 with a 5.7l LT1 V8

My Cars
    357ci

2000 BMW E46 318 with a 5.7l LT1 V8

Hi, I'm new to this forum but thought I would share my project with you guys.

I realise it may not be to everyones taste but I am currently finishing up a bmw to chevrolet lt1 v8 engine conversion. The reason for the conversion was quite simple really, the original 1.8 bmw engine dropped a valve and I already had a crash damaged firebird trans am so thought I would make a fun project and hopefully it will be a handful to drive when its done.

Yes to all those who say it, I would much rather have done an LS1 swap or LS7 etc... but this is what I had so this is what I used. In the future I may do different conversions but for the time being this will keep me happy.

Also there was no killing of genuine M cars in this build. The BMW had 200,000 on the clock and was a 318ci with no extras, with the engine buggered there was not much left to salvage other than the body.

For the conversion a few things were needed such as:

330 rear half shafts
    330 prop modified to fit the t56 6 speed output
    X3 3.91 diff
    330 brakes all round
    Custom fabricated engine mounts welded to front cross member
    Custom steering arm, shortened to make room for the exhaust headers
    Custom transmission mount
    Wider rear arches to fit 275 tyres on the back
    Complete re-wiring to match both BMW and Chevrolet ECU's so the chevrolet runs piggy back to the BMW so that all digital electronics still work the way they should in the car.
    Custom Air conditioning hoses, powersteering hoses and coolant hoses
    Complete 1 off stainless steel dual system exhaust with quad tail pipes

All the work has been carried out by myself using basic tools and equipment nothing special, but has taken a lot of time due to working out of a single garage built in a bungalow. There is barely enough room to walk around the car once it is in there!

Ovbiously pictures speak louder than words so I have attached a few below.

I will update as and when progress is made.

I hope this of some interest to you guys, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bidman08; 05-17-2011 at 05:32 AM.

My Cars
    357ci
    A few more pictures with the engine in now.

My Cars
    357ci
    And some more... Also so far it all looks very scruffy and untidy. This is because everything is just mocked and tacked in place at the minute its all getting stripped back down once its up and running and cleaned up so it looks nice and clean. Thanks Dan

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Looks great. I am not a big fan of the LT1, but it looks like you are off to a great start.
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    357ci
    Hi, thanks. I think the LT1 isn't a bad engine, its just there are better ones available now. Eventualy I would like to get a lloyd elliot head + cam package and a tune to match to give the engine a bit more grunt but even with the stock power I think it will be more than enough for me.... for now.

Dan

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    looks good any pictures of the mounts

My Cars
    357ci
    Hi, no no pictures of the mounts at the minute the car is getting undersealed and I get it back on Monday. I'll get some pictures of the mounts for you then. You can just see the driver side mount on the pictures of the exhaust header, Dan

My Cars
    99 528iT
    First one I've seen! Looking great!
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    357ci
    Hi, sorry for the delay in getting some more pictures but here they are. I have some of the mounts and of the exhaust system that is now finished up. Also I have started mocking and aligning up the body panels. Dan

My Cars
    357ci
    A few more pics, Dan

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Excellent man. Can't wait to see how you handled the wiring and electronics. keep up the nice work, and coverage.

My Cars
    '92 BMW 735i(W/383 GM)

nice work

Yours is not really an odd choice for a motor, I used an L98 in my 7. Headers are a bitch- again, nice work

My Cars
    2E36,E34,E38,Dak,780,V

Awesome job!
    -=PJ
    Strike Zero's Garage
    ==================================================
    2006 SCR-SCCA Street Mod Champion
    1982 Toyota Corolla
    1988 Volvo 780
    1993 BMW 318is: Gas Sipper
    1993 BMW 325is => 350is: Track Rat
    1994 BMW 530i + 5spd
    1997 BMW 740i: Hwy Killah!!
    1998 Honda VFR800FI: Gear Driven Cam Goodness
    2000 Dodge Dakota: V8 + 5spd = Smokey Fun
    2000 Lincoln LS V6 5spd
    2004 Pontiac GTO - RIP
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V
    ==================================================
    "If not under warranty, live with it, or bend over and grab ankles."

My Cars
    357ci
    Cheers guys, the electronics is already handled everything works as it should with no problems what so ever. The only thing not working currently is the mpg indicator on the trip display, the average speed etc... all still works, just the mpg display shows 0.0. It will eventually but I haven't figured it out just yet. Tach, coolant level/temp, oil temp/level, cat overheat, EML all work without issues. Dan

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    How is it connected? Does the GM PCM send outputs to BMW DME inputs, or does the DME read straight off the LT1's sensors, or are you running dual sensors? Are you left with warning lights on the dash?

My Cars
    357ci
    How is it connected? Does the GM PCM send outputs to BMW DME inputs, or does the DME read straight off the LT1's sensors, or are you running dual sensors? Are you left with warning lights on the dash?
    Hi, no, no warning lights on the dash. I am running both the LT1 module and the bmw module so that all the sensors from the bmw engine are now on the lt1 engine complete with new 60-2 trigger wheel for the tach which then enables the standard bmw cruise control to work.

The LT1 module has all its necessary inputs to work properly and I have routed a connection up into the dash and removed the bmw EML LED and replaced this with a small bulb to light up in place of the bmw warning light so if there is an issue with the lt1 engine it lights up just as it should do in the right place on the bmw cluster.

I have an e46 m3 cluster fitted and even the rev lights work although I can't get them to light up as far as they should as the engine climbs no where near as far as the m3 engine.

As for fuel pump etc I simply ran new relays and connected these to the existing bmw wiring loom so the lt1 ecu works the standard fuel pump. Also I used empty slots int he fuse carrier behind the glove box to fuse and make all my connections so its all neat tidy and out the way.

Dan

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Excellent Dan!
    I guess there is no way to go around without cutting out those “pockets” in the engine bay (the ones that hold brake booster on one side and fuse box on the other)? Also, on one picture, it looks like you re-welded it back – did you just changed the shape of it?
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    99 528iT
    Regarding the engine choice, I can't imagine there are a whole lot of LSx engines in the UK, so it's great that you're doing what you are with what you've got.
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    357ci
    Excellent Dan!
    I guess there is no way to go around without cutting out those “pockets” in the engine bay (the ones that hold brake booster on one side and fuse box on the other)? Also, on one picture, it looks like you re-welded it back – did you just changed the shape of it?
    Hi, yeah with my car being RHD the ABS module etc... is on the passenger side and the pocket was much too large so I had to cut it away. I then had to reposition the ABS module and then remake a panel to keep the heat away from it whilst leaving enough room for the engine to slip in and out. Both sides are now almost identical so it looks better as well as before the passenger side pocket is much bigger than the driver side.

Regarding the engine choice, I can't imagine there are a whole lot of LSx engines in the UK, so it's great that you're doing what you are with what you've got.
    Thanks, you are right LSx engines in the UK are near impossible to get unless you go brand new and these cost a fortune! Then I'd have to source transmission clutch accessories etc... All miles above my pay grade i'm afraid. One day I would like to do a 1000hp TT LSx Nelson engine conversion but then again wouldn't everyone, Dan

My Cars
    357ci
    Quick link to a video my friend took of the cars first start up a while back. He forgot he had it but its up on youtube all the same and I will update it with a new video when I get chance. Sounds horrendous to start but then turn up your speakers!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16mfBvb5Reo[/ame]

Cheers Dan
    Last edited by bidman08; 06-16-2010 at 07:21 AM.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Super... More videos please!!!
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    Nice MORE videos!!! that sounds good

My Cars
    09 135i;Turbo e36
    UPDATE PLEASE!! wanna see some progress

AZ 51 STEP GRAD.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Cool project. I'm tempted to try to put my engine into an e46 some day.

My Cars
    357ci
    Hey,

Sorry for not keeping up to date with the posting the car is indeed on the road, well on the track I should say. Done lots of testing lately after being stored up for the winter as I worked away for the past few months. It certainly pulls well

When I get the chance I will pop up to the unit and get some more pictures of the completed car maybe a few more videos.

Here's a few pictures of the engine bay I had on my phone from a while back.

Cheers Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast