View Poll Results: The noise really is...

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Petrified hamburger Gumbi left under my seat

8 32.00%
  • Jawas locating lost droids

6 24.00%
  • Fuel Filter/Regulator

3 12.00%
  • It's not the Fuel Filter/Regulator/ ur gonna hate life when u replace it and the noise remains

13 52.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre Noise = WTF/Are you kidding me?

My Cars
    2003 525i

Bizarre Noise = WTF/Are you kidding me?

Symptom: While driving car, hit brake pedal at slow speed and hear an audible metallic TICK/CLANK...release brakes, hit the gas pedal and hear the same TICK/CLANK. Sound felt like it was left front, perhaps firewall or under the seat even.

Checked: I RE-DID my front brakes three times. Yes, three times I re-did them believing it was pad-slap. Take apart, inspect all, reassemble. Noise remains. Checked for loose change under seat/in seat rail, loose change/object in vents underneath driver's seat. Check Tranny mounts, engine mounts and exhaust. Prayed it wasn't the driveshaft. Then checked left strut/strut mount. I replaced the brake booster over the winter (as it was laden with water) and suspected it could be the junkyard booster, maybe or possibly my master cylinder, longshot there. I lubed all parts known to man, including the linkages of the brake pedal. I tested ball joints on the left side, nothing. Wheel bearing on that side is fine. So what the heck?

Two nights ago I removed every plastic panel under the car, suspecting a rock or maybe that 3/8th extension I lost in the driveway is floating around. Nothing. I checked the fuel filter, it was snug/tight. I layed on the driveway at midnight, in the rain, under the e39, staring at the fuel filter/regulator and wishing I had x-ray vision.

The noise was even worse because it was random, some days constant, others non-existant.

SOLUTION (???) : Yesterday it was worse than ever. It was metal, but still I could not pinpoint firewall noise or if it was wheel area, but it truly felt like I was sitting right over the damned noise, it was under my arse. Had a friend drive the car while I sat in the back seat. We both felt and heard the noise, while hitting the brakes at slow speed, then again hitting the gas pedal. He looked at me like, "What the f*ck is that?" I looked like Patrick Swayze after hearing about the re-making of 'Red Dawn', shocked and angry, but then I was thrilled knowing someone else out there heard my noise and believes in me.

FIX (???) : We are 98.276% certain the noise is....drumroll...the fuel filter/regulator. The regulator should have a spring and diaphragm inside it and whether it's the regulator or just some cheesy metal screen holder within the filter itself, I cannot say, but again, we're nearly certain the metallic noise which originates under the driver's feet and then rattles through the fuel lines forward/back will be resolved by replacing the fuel filter/regulator.

The car's performance seems fine to me as does my MPG, so the only symptom is this noise. My fuel pump is silent, no issue there. I think that maybe my engine is a little sluggish lately...so it makes sense the fuel regulator is shot.

I just wanted to post this because it's cathartic, venting weeks of anguish. Noises in our cars can be maddening. Keep one up at night and make driving the car, pure misery. I also wanted to let others know as if this can happen to me, it can happen to you. Note, my fuel filter/regulator is only 35K miles old (it was replaced by Danielsan in New Jersey on Gumbi's driveway for those who really want the details). I believe our fuel filters/regulators should be replaced once every two years, but that's just me. Replacing at 90K miles per BMW is a JOKE. Replacing fuel filters used to be a standard thing with a tune-up when I first started driving in 1987. The 80's ruled fwiw.

Wish me luck in eliminating this noise today, I was going nuts. I can also share that my alternator's bearings are shot. It happens, the alternator has 115K miles on it. I replaced the mechanical tensioner and then then deflector next to the alternator last week (my stethoscope could not pinpoint which one it was and when I removed the belt and turned the pulleys, you could not determine which one was shot) so up next is alternator replacement. It's bearings are whirling loud, noted especially so at Starbucks' drivethrough which allows the echo of the bearings to amplify off their wall as I snag a Grande Cafe.

Fuel filter regulator noise FML.

One last fyi. My friend at BMW hooked me up with some of this when I was re-doing my front brake pads for the third time in one month lol:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...%2C%20%31%20lb

I am happily impressed with WURTH CU1100 COPPER PASTE to be applied on the backside of brake pads.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 04-14-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

I have a clicking like noise which sounds like it comes from the left front side of the car near the wheel, but it sounds like a clicking of plastic and is only noticeable when i brake. It also dosent occur until about 30+ mins of driving. sounds similar to your issue but not sure if its the same.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by aad4321 View Post
    I have a clicking like noise which sounds like it comes from the left front side of the car near the wheel, but it sounds like a clicking of plastic and is only noticeable when i brake. It also dosent occur until about 30+ mins of driving. sounds similar to your issue but not sure if its the same.
    Drive to New York. I'll fix it. I'm locked and loaded. Left-front-side noises I can do. Rightside-front not so much. But left-front, I am within the zone, Jedi Chakra etc.

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Is there a flashlight rolling about under either seat?

Don't laugh. Has happened before.

JK

If it's metallic...hmm. Bad bushing? Trans crossmember? Driveshaft guibo? I dunno, I'm reaching.
    Last edited by boondocksaint; 04-14-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    1991 M5 (in progress)

Restoring an old BMW, God help me.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3, 1973 MGB GT
    Swaybar end-link?
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ianscrawford View Post
    Swaybar end-link?
    They are new and make zero noise when tested (drive car at 25mph and jerk steering wheel with brevity from 10 o'clock to 2pm). I wish it was the linky.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3, 1973 MGB GT
    I hit a pot hole so hard the other day (unavoidable do to traffic and late notice) my interior lights and hazards kicked on. Since I have had a small squeak over small bumps. It tracks straight.. I hope its something simple like a link.

Back to your saga, do you have aftermarket suspension?
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
    Is there a flashlight rolling about under either seat?

Don't laugh. Has happened before.

JK

If it's metallic...hmm. Bad bushing? Trans crossmember? Driveshaft guibo? I dunno, I'm reaching.
    Guibo is fresh. And the noise isn't just a noise, it's a feeling, as if someone taped a soda can to the bottom of the car and filled it with a handful of sand and one bolt. Nuts.

The engine and tranny mounts were replaced two years ago, fresh and clean, no tears, etc. The noise is under the seat and I think of JAWS, he's gone under the boat Chief and I'm either somewhat smart of very dumb conjuring up the fuel filter/regulator.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    brakes then acceleration causing it....sounds like something with a mount and the exhaust.....

on my V8 it was slightly different....but who knows.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ianscrawford View Post
    I hit a pot hole so hard the other day (unavoidable do to traffic and late notice) my interior lights and hazards kicked on. Since I have had a small squeak over small bumps. It tracks straight.. I hope its something simple like a link.

Back to your saga, do you have aftermarket suspension?
    OEM Springs and failing KONI FSD's. I stared at the struts and mounts.

If the fuel filter/regulator doesn't fix the noise, I might lose my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    brakes then acceleration causing it....sounds like something with a mount and the exhaust.....

on my V8 it was slightly different....but who knows.
    Exhaust is clean, tight as a drum. It's under the driver side seat. You feel it in your left foot (automatic tranny) as it rests on the floor of the car and it's right under your left foot. And it sounds like something inside a can of soda. I stare at the fuel filter/regulator and if looks could kill, it would be dead.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 04-14-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 540i6
    if that's the case, it should do the same if you rev the engine and then let off as the DME does a 100% fuel cut to decrease revs it should cause the pressure difference that would cause the regulator to have to vary flow, quickly. Then, if you press the pedal before it enters "idle" mode, it should cause the opposite.

I think that goes along with your theory, and it is another test method.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    if that's the case, it should do the same if you rev the engine and then let off as the DME does a 100% fuel cut to decrease revs it should cause the pressure difference that would cause the regulator to have to vary flow, quickly. Then, if you press the pedal before it enters "idle" mode, it should cause the opposite.

I think that goes along with your theory, and it is another test method.
    I thought of this yesterday. The regulator plays off vacuum. The noise only happens at very low/slow speeds...like 3-5mph.

Gonna replace this dragon at 6pm. It's $60.00 and if it doesn't work, I might give up on the car entirely.

I hear you brother. I analyze things with the walk of a Vulcan Spock, then run with the stride of Kirk. I've played this noise out in my mind and in the holo-deck for weeks. I believe in cause and effect. Luck is for losers, though I need some with this noise lol.

“Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.”
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Everything in life is luck”
    ~Donald Trump
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 04-14-2010 at 11:34 AM.

My Cars
    02 530i
    when you changed your brakes did you by any chance change the rotors too? i had a similar front end clunk when i first bought the car. it only happened when i braked at slow speeds. i changed brakes and rotors and the noise was gone...

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    I think I know what that sound is. I had it too. Its no way near the regulator and the regulator will not make a sound that loud. Change it out for peace of mind but come back when the sound remains.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I got noises in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    I think I know what that sound is. I had it too. Its no way near the regulator and the regulator will not make a sound that loud. Change it out for peace of mind but come back when the sound remains.
    What is it then?
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 04-14-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    98 540i6

haha, you're a jerk

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Yeah, what do you think it is?

The noise is under the driver's seat. If there is a relay/switch/controller under the seat that is making the noise...it'd be independent of 3-5mph braking/accelerating. Two people that were in the car swear to Charlton Heston it's under the driver's seat...dunno. The only object near that area is the fuel filter/regulator. At lunch today there was NO noise. So strange. Yesterday you could feel a click-clank and something vibratiing/shuttering at 3-5mph braking/accelerate. I stare at the u-joint in the driveshaft, but all of my cells pull towards the regulator/fuel filter. I pondered/wondered about a caliper or some jiggy ABS thingamajiggy issue where the caliper would pulsate and it might reverb through the brake line, tried to think of every/anything.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 04-14-2010 at 01:16 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    It's the hand grenade you left after your last raid.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post

The noise is under the driver's seat. If there is a relay/switch/controller under the seat that is making the noise...it'd be independent of 3-5mph braking/accelerating. Two people that were in the car swear to Charlton Heston it's under the driver's seat...dunno. The only object near that area is the fuel filter/regulator. At lunch today there was NO noise. So strange. Yesterday you could feel a click-clank and something vibratiing/shuttering at 3-5mph braking/accelerate. I stare at the u-joint in the driveshaft, but all of my cells pull towards the regulator/fuel filter. I pondered/wondered about a caliper or some jiggy ABS thingamajiggy issue where the caliper would pulsate and it might reverb through the brake line, tried to think of every/anything.

Can you speak of this sound in a bit more detail. Does it sound like two metal pieces chattering at high speed? Almost turns into a ringing?

Also can you put the car against a wall and hear it that way? Like at a drive through?

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2013 M5, 2000 M5
    I am on board with the rotor theory. Even new rotors can cuase a problem if there is a piece of rust stuck between it and the hub.. There is a thing called rotor knock... accel or decel, only certain times/speeds... just my theory.

You sound convinced it is the fuel component.... just try it!!!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Technician117 View Post
    I am on board with the rotor theory. Even new rotors can cuase a problem if there is a piece of rust stuck between it and the hub.. There is a thing called rotor knock... accel or decel, only certain times/speeds... just my theory.

Oh-oh....

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Can you speak of this sound in a bit more detail. Does it sound like two metal pieces chattering at high speed? Almost turns into a ringing?

Also can you put the car against a wall and hear it that way? Like at a drive through?
    The noise at the drivethrough that I hear is my alternator. It is definitely on it's way out. It's bearings are loud. I've even asked myself if it isn't cause of thise noise. I mean I have been grasping at straws.

However the noise in question is:

1). Random. it hasn't done it today.
    2). Under the driver side seat
    3). Occurs ONLY when hitting the brake pedal at very LOW speed, say 3-5mph and then is heard again hitting the gas pedal. If you hit the brake pedal once, you hear it once, when you hit the gas pedal, you hear it once and only once.
    4). Sounds like being on a boat and theres some rocks on the boat, large pebbles...go up a wave and the rocks roll quickly to the back of the boat, go over the wave and the rocks fall and roll forward. The noise lasts 1 second when hitting the brake pedal at 3-5mph and then when you hit the gas pedal, it lasts 2 or 3 seconds.
    5). The fuel pump isn't making any noise, no humming or buzzing or clicking. Is the fuel pump for our cars in the tank?

There is no ringing or pinging and the car has no signs/symptoms the guibo or driveshaft is shot. Though I stare at the driveshaft as I am again, grasping at straws.

Imagine sitting in the back seat, driver's side. Imagine I'm driving through a parking lot and at 3-5mph I hit the brake pedal. You hear what seems like a metallic "POP", then you hit the gas pedal and hear the same noise but this time it's a SHUFFLING noise that you FEEL in your arse if you're driving the car and if you're sitting in the back seat it feels like it's under your feet.

It's NOT on the passenger side of the car at all.

I've asked myself if somehow KONI FSD that is nearly shot can't be the culprit or it's strut mount, but again, it's under the floor, left side seat area.

This is all I got. I just landed from Vietnam and I feel like when someone asks me to describe the noise in my car, it'd be like taking me to see 'Platoon'; this is a f-ing dumbarse nightmare this noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Technician117 View Post

If it's the rotor, I will develop heat vision like the dude from X-Men and melt the rotor with my eyeballs.

The rotor is on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by sovietbmw View Post
    when you changed your brakes did you by any chance change the rotors too? i had a similar front end clunk when i first bought the car. it only happened when i braked at slow speeds. i changed brakes and rotors and the noise was gone...
    I replaced the rotors and pads two months ago. So I ripped them apart and re-did them THREE times. I even replaced the pads one of the times. Believe me, I've totally thought all along it was rotor or pad related because I re-did them three times to get rid of the noise...but the noise remains.

Bueller, anyone, anyone?
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 04-14-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    02 530I E39

Red face not jacking thread

Also can you put the car against a wall and hear it that way? Like at a drive through?[/QUOTE]

I hear this what could it be ?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by totoe39 View Post
    I hear this what could it be ?[/QUOTE]

If your car is in park or neutral and you HEAR rattle or squeeling etc...focus on things that rotate and move like pulleys, tensioners, belts, water pump, alternator, power steering whine, fan clutch, maybe even a fubar exhaust mount chirping...but dude, you should be able to open the hood of you car and let your ears locate the noise and/or use a mechanic's stethascope to find the rattle/chirp/noise.

If you have a manual tranny, the clutch can certainly offer a rattle/noise.

If the noise occurs when your car is moving, in DRIVE and you hear it past a wall which accentuates the noise...you can add elements that it could be like wheel bearings etc.

You need t be able to say, "I hear this type of noise _______ (fill in blank) and I think it's coming from this region of my car _________ (fill in blank) and it happens when I do this ____________ (fill in blank with 'braking', 'driving over bumps', 'accelerating', 'turning on the a/c', 'turning the steering wheel' etc and etc and etc).

FWIW...I replaced my fuel filter with birthday money tonight, took fifteen minutes and I DO notice increased throttle response, pick-up...so maybe just maybe somehow a clogged fuel filter was impacting pressure and making a fuel pump flutter/clank/make noise or maybe the internals of the regulator were shot. I dunno...yet. The noise may or may not reappear, but I haven't heard it yet.

All I can say is the noise was a clank on hitting the brakes, felt under your seat and then a shuffling noise of a can of rocks being shaken under the seat when I hit the gas.

My Cars
    02 530I E39
    The car is automatic , I hear a "rattle'' noise from the driver side mainly going uphills. the car is quiet the rest of the time.
    thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by totoe39; 04-14-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast