Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanganstyle S54 swap thread; open source for Information

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000

Wanganstyle S54 swap thread; open source for Information

updated Cliff Notes:

S52 ecu settings are too far apart to pnp and run S54, even if sensors, etc will fit in same physical locations with minor adaptation.

I ended up building a custom harness to run a Full Standalone ECU (DTA S100) bought from ABL parts (great company to deal with) DTA unit was pretty reliable and actually a decent option for a full racing/track weapon.

parts used:

S52 original accessories (PS, ALT, Starter, AC bracket, S52 clutch and S52 flywheel, transmission, driveshaft) - Gearbox never left the car

DME: ABL Original parts supplied DTA S100 racing DME (full standalone)

Wiring: Custom wanganstyle wired
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 05-07-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    Bimmers and Toyotas
    I am wondering why you are not going to using the harness and DME from the donor vehicle. This sounds like a good project, but I think for the best power output, the Vanos should be dme controlled, instead of stuck at advance. This will also affected starting, idling, and emmissions, as BMW uses camshaft adjustment to cut down on NOx. You may burn up the cats faster.
    Avus Blue 95 M3. Many mods, including Northeast Rust Mod.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmershark View Post
    stretch marks are hot i pretend i am an older sailor looking over maps

My Cars
    95 325iS, 98 M3/4/5

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    There is currently someone working on a PnP adapter wiring harness

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=282021&page=7
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    guys my advice is save yourself the headache and just buy the bimmerworld kit.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    or buy a euro motor.

OR LsX swap

Estrl M3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post
    whats this kit?

My Cars
    are bad investments
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonM3 View Post
    or buy a euro motor.

OR LsX swap
    He already has an S54, why would he buy an inferior euro motor?

LSX M3s are fun, but they simply don't sound as good, rev as high, and are too much of a compromise for most of us.

I3MW is offline /////////////////////////
    My Cars
    81 320i, 02 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by REHaas View Post

LSX M3s are fun, but they simply don't sound as good, rev as high, and are too much of a compromise for most of us.
    Meh. Sound is opinionated. I guess as long as it doesn't sound like a stock E46 M3. I have heard some very nice S54s but I've also heard some amazing LS engines. I don't think they rev as high but I don't really see that as a compromise? Power is very usable and manageable in its delivery, its the crazy hp to weight ratio that makes them such a monster. I really think the LSX is more bang for your buck, but the S54 is also a very awesome option, especially with all the progress Alex has made. Just curious as to why you think the LSX is inferior, I think they are pretty damn close with pros and cons for each.

OP cool thread, it's dumb how OT it's getting already. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing all the info as well as your time and money.
    Last edited by I3MW; 04-12-2010 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    are bad investments
    Quote Originally Posted by I3MW View Post
    Meh. Sound is opinionated. I guess as long as it doesn't sound like a stock E46 M3.
    I'm sure that nobdoy is stupid enough to attempt to retrofit a full E46 M3 stock exhaust onto an E36 M3 in the first place.

Fun fact, the eurospec headers for the S54 will bolt up to any *euro* E36 M3 midsection designed to attached to the S50B32 headers.

I have heard some very nice S54s but I've also heard some amazing LS engines.
    I have heard some intense LS motors, but nothing comes close to an S54 with an intake, and with the CSL airbox, it's game over.

I don't think they rev as high but I don't really see that as a compromise? Power is very usable and manageable in its delivery, its the crazy hp to weight ratio that makes them such a monster. I really think the LSX is more bang for your buck, but the S54 is also a very awesome option, especially with all the progress Alex has made. Just curious as to why you think the LSX is inferior, I think they are pretty damn close with pros and cons for each.
    LSX swaps cost the same, if not more than S54 swap due to the larger amount of custom components required to get it to run and drive.

The compromise is the cost, the inability to have air conditioning, and the fact that you can't take it to a BMW dealership to have it serviced if need be, and the same for a GM dealership. It also knocks you out of pretty much every single racing class known to man kind.

It's not an inferior motor, it's probably superior really, but the time, cost, and result simply isn't ideal to 90% of the guys that actually track their cars.

OP cool thread, it's dumb how OT it's getting already. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing all the info as well as your time and money.
    Agreed.

Back on topic:

I would do everything within your power to retain the dual VANOS. The dual VANOS makes the S54 the awesome powerplant that it is. You take that away, and you pretty much make your swap pointless imho. You'll have absolutely no power until ~6000 rpm.

It would be downright stupid to ignore the options that are available or that are becoming available to swap the S54 into the E36 and retain the dual VANOS.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000

Re: Wanganstyle S54 swap thread; open source for Information

I had a mk4 supra 0 mile 2JZ-GTE sitting on the motorstand from a prior car and waiting to take the s52 spot all year, but I decided to sell it and fit the s54. If I was set on boost I would have done it with a 3037 single in a heartbeat- turbocharging fit on a slant mounted six is horrid, removing the stock headers is already bad enough.

The time you save handing awkward turbo mounting, plumbing on the hot side would be better spent yanking the driveline and replacing with mk4 supra+single.

For those with unlimited time, turbo s52 is probably the way to go- cheaper than a 2jz swap for sure.

If Thailand were closer I'd have fitted the Toyota powerplant, but keeping BMW power is ultimately less work- time is money to me.

I want this car to have all motor itb power- perhaps boost later if I get convinced to go back to the tx mile October!

I miss the noise of rb26dett! And that thing is asinine to work on, Toyota> nissan in my book anyday-

You can mod your own car however you desire, if I wanted ls7 power, I would buy the car I last drove with it- c6 z06 hands down

I hate t56.

Why have I not bought a z06 although I've known it's brillant (after running wheel to wheel against my Rhd Sti-Ra at Laguna a few times) is exactally why I was not interested in stuffing the powerplant in my m3. LSX doesn't excite me, sorry

Sorry, this is a street/privateer machine, vorschlag has already built a e36lsx, they sell the kit.
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000

[quote="REHaas"]

I'm sure that nobdoy is stupid enough to attempt to retrofit a full E46 M3 stock exhaust onto an E36 M3 in the first place.

Correct. That would be retarded- I have an eisseman race back box, my s54 will sound awesome

Fun fact, the eurospec headers for the S54 will bolt up to any *euro* E36 M3 midsection designed to attached to the S50B32 headers.

Cool. I did not know, being in Cali I will be using stock headers to pass smog initially

I have heard some intense LS motors, but nothing comes close to an S54 with an intake, and with the CSL airbox, it's game over.

Yess!

Rpm> tractor noise in my ears everyday

LSX swaps cost more than S54 swap due to the larger amount of custom components required to get it to run and drive

-this is fact. I've charted this via xls spreadsheet for 2jz, lsx swaps.

I was originally going to do a fd3s 2jz or lsx, but decided the end product was useless to me

Lsx packaging is more ingenius than rotary or even boxxer engine, but I still don't want it.

Thanks! Appreciate the input

Agreed.

Back on topic:

Regarding dual vanos,

"You'll have absolutely no power until ~6000 rpm."

I don't agree. A conventionally high cammed Na is crappy on bottom end regardless of vanos, espically one with a Honda styl valvetrain for high rpm use (s54). That's the whole reason i pulled the trigger on the s54, it's valvetrain is advanced quite a bit vs the s50b32, it's ridiculous finger rocker setup with tiny shims has gone bonkers for an oem car engine.

S54 valvetrain is Easier to adjust clearance and inexpensive to service, better than bucket under shim also.

If it was Valvetronic on the other hand.......that thing is awesome- n52 is 255 out of 3 liters vs s52 240 3.2 - both are civilian motors- the valvetronic bottom end efficiency is awesome, my friends 550i pulled with about as much power as s62 e39m but with more seamless transition in it's power curve. Pulled nice top end too, although the displacement and itbs' of the s62 take it away on top end.

motor is just that- rpm!

I don't mind temporarily not having low end power, my vanos locking idea bases off this-

Screw vac's $630 metal plate kit. I'm sure it's uuber Cnc 1337. But I'll save my $630 for a dta s100, I bet the dual vanos system on s54 can be locked with simple 12v+ and a few wires/switch.

"It would be downright stupid to ignore the options that are available or that are becoming available to swap the S54 into the E36 and retain the dual VANOS"

Not entirely-

The options are not really that great.

Bimmerworld outsources/sends the s54 ecu to get hacked in Europe at markup, it requires e-throttle also. This idea is dead to me

Motec is not that expensive, but my industry friend says it's not the best GUI. I am an apple user, GUI is ichiban to me. Screw motec

The best option IMO for this business would be running off s50b32 elec's and it has been done, but I do not gave them and also- Cali smog issues.

My initial goal will be this:

S54 longmotor swap in s52 place, e-lock vanos or leave to default retarded timing and then roll directly to the smog dyno and see what happens.

I Hope the obd2 can be completely tricked!

I need to leave an option to revert to an obd2 oem ecu, as smog for obd2 cars = dyno+realtime diagnostic port reading
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonM3
    or buy a euro motor.

OR LsX swap
    No desire.
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-04-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Serious

Epic is now the popular choice for OEM DME hacking
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-04-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower
    There is currently someone working on a PnP adapter wiring harness

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=282021&page=7

This I know, Alex knows his stuff well, more progress/time needs to be spent in development though- if I was in Chicagoland.............

Alex is a USA dta dealer , yes- I have already consulted. Currently the hang up (to me) of dta is lack of local support. I do have a good local tuner from the uk I will be consulting with-
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by AvusRacer
    I am wondering why you are not going to using the harness and DME from the donor vehicle. This sounds like a good project, but I think for the best power output, the Vanos should be dme controlled, instead of stuck at advance. This will also affected starting, idling, and emmissions, as BMW uses camshaft adjustment to cut down on NOx. You may burn up the cats faster.

Hahaha. Cats are worry number 0, my last cats I had removed after melting/clogging with mixed leaded 110 at the track.

I could care less if all cats went to hell- most of mine do by my free will

I do have s54 ecu and harness coming w/ the s54, I will not willingly use it due to electronic throttle drive by wire. Dbw swapping is easy as well, but I will not do it.

Analog throttle, human abs, human traction control.

I Accept no substitutes.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    I was so set on alex's kit and then I saw no OBDII which killed it for me. I need my car to be legal on the street

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by REHaas View Post

my thoughts exactally.

s54> s50b32 and 30 all day.

valvetrain advancements say it all, newer parts, usa bmw dealer parts inventory for S54 is the icing on the cake.

Having owned out of country only powerplants prior......its a PITA to service when needed, regardless how good your parts supply is.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    "Will be converting to E39M s62/E46M s54 style 5.0 bar fuel setup with returnless fuel rail (return is at FPR unit under car instead of s52 at rail)"

S52 FPR is under the car as well.
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    97 M3
    I thought so too but, am too much of a newb to suggest it. I know my FPR is under the driver's seat. Kind of a lame design if you ask me. I'm skeptical that they can maintain a true 3.5 bar of fuel pressure under all load conditions at the end of the trail when it switches to "returnless" mode.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Can't wait to see it the engine bay. What are you doing for a diff? I would go with the 3.46, or even 3.91 if you are adding the 6 speed.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Are there any options for retaining OBDII with this swap? I see this swap as they ultimate upgrade to the E36 M3 but being able to pass emissions is a must.

My Cars
    95 M3 Cosmos, FZ-09
    subscribed for pics.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    "Will be converting to E39M s62/E46M s54 style 5.0 bar fuel setup with returnless fuel rail (return is at FPR unit under car instead of s52 at rail)"

S52 FPR is under the car as well.

s54 has no return line on fuel rail, s52 does

that and the 3.5->5.0 bar pressure difference is the conversion question-

IF i added a return to the S54 rail to feed back ala stock s52 I could just pnp the 5.0 bar reg in s52's spot.

I ordered a e46 filter with threaded end (instead of slip+clamp) last night.

picture attached is s62/s54 return from fuel pressure regulator block setup.

some e46's and newer cars have fuel pressure regulator built into the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-04-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Can't wait to see it the engine bay. What are you doing for a diff? I would go with the 3.46, or even 3.91 if you are adding the 6 speed.
    car currently has 3.38 final with 5mt ZF 1:1 5th gear. I've been waiting it out for a 6mt getrag but no luck as of yet- IT will happen, eventually.

I have 3.07, 3.46, 3.64, 3.73 gearsets all on the shelf, May just stick with the current 3.38 for the time being, will probably do do 3.91 or 4.10 with 6mt+.83 overdrive when that time comes

or I may go insane and put in a 4.27 torsen......8750 rpm redline anyone!

for those curious about fuel issues, this is the s52 fuel setup; note return from rail, not fpr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 4.png (11.5 KB, 99 views)
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 04-14-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast