Thread: Little trick to help out installing Kicker CVT sub speaker

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster

Little trick to help out installing Kicker CVT sub speaker

kind of a long post but maybe it will be of help for some.

Man! had to grind more than what I thought to install the Kicker Sub but one thing I found out is that to do the job right you need a spacer under the mounting surface between the speaker and housing. Removing the Kicker magnet rubber does not help because the back of the magnet has a small round metal protrusion that sticks out just as far as the removable rubber. Shaving off the plastic ribbing at the back of the sub box still does not provide enough speaker drop (unless you force it) and I'm wanting to the job as right as possible and I didnt want to cut a hole in the back of the box.

I was trying to figure out where from or what I was going to use as a spacer ---and then I got to looking at the stock BMW sub, it has a plastic ring glued on top of the front rim surface of the speaker. It is glued on with silicone or some non hardening adhesive, I carefully used a gasket scraper to pry it off, after getting it started it just pulled off. It is the perfect spacer, it is 3/8" thick, fits under the kicker mounting surface and has four indentation to allow mounting screws to pass--and they match up with four screw holes on the Kicker.

For those not knowing about this (now common) Kicker CVT Sub speaker conversion or those wanting a refresher, here is a good thread with pictures. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t=kicker+cvt65
    Last edited by fire2; 01-08-2011 at 07:09 PM.

My Cars
    1999 740iL, 2001 Z3
    hahaha...that's exactly what I used for my CVT spacer. Great minds think alike. I sealed mine with some silicone and it's worked great.

99 facelift E38 gone but not forgotten | 2001 Topaz Blue Z3 3.0 (9/00): ASA AR1's, Kicker sub, stone guards & more