Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why one should retire at the top of their game...

My Cars
    A BMW

Why one should retire at the top of their game...

It was a little over 2 years ago that I had a partially taken apart Touring that would proceed to nearly eat me out of house and home but also culminated in the best (and most completed) project I had overtaken in my BMW ownership since 2003. Having had a couple E46's, a couple E36's, and the iX I so dearly loved it was the Touring that was 100% complete.

After that exhausting ordeal I had proclaimed that I was done. Selling the Touring and using those proceeds to propose to my Fiance (who used to love my IX and hated the Touring and all the others over the years). It was a great way to go out. A unique, one of a kind, rare(ish) E30 that was just plain 'cool'.

But less than a year later I felt the tug; that tick an addict gets. And I realized that I missed actually working on the cars that I had owned. Having had a couple shoulder surgeries and a 'botched' knee surgery I am no longer able to ski 100 days a year, bike 100+ miles a week or even run more than 3 miles at a time. All the things I so very much loved to do with my spare time. I need a hobby. Not a goal, not 'the ultimate project', a hobby. Something for me...

So, wit some careful consideration, some talks with wary fiance, I started to buy some things. An Mtech 1 front valece and side skirts came available on here (so I bought them), an Mtech 1 rear spoiler in the UK caught my attention, and I was searching for an Mtech 1 rear valence when I decided to start looking for a car.

I found it in upstate NY. A 1987 325is that was an early build (for that Mtech 1 stuff). It was originally a FL car and after some e-mailing I picked it up.

The way it looked when I picked it up:

The car made the drive from NY to NH without a hitch. It was fun to drive and I was so happy to have an E30 back in the stable. The Cardinal interior was a little beat, the steering wheel covered with that ugly cover and there was something going on in the rear end. But all told it was a 'real deal' 325iS with LSD and all the options from its time - I even think it has factory keyless entry (but I need to do some wire chasing).

Day 1 starts as any day would start... Take off all the ugly crappy shit that you don't like, swap in a better color interior (there are some sport black seats sitting in my living room awaiting covers) and figure out the 'next steps'.

Wind Deflector Removed, Chrome removed (some rust not bad), chrome kidney in, black interior in, better set of US grilles in, cleaned carpets, removed trash and ugly mats, examined car better. Good day 1.
    Last edited by NHskibm; 04-04-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1989 325 IX Touring, 200
    once you go e30, you never go back!

My Cars
    A BMW
    The Subframe/carrier bushings were shot. So those needed replacing.. Too much of a PITA to do in a driveway so sent it to a friends shop for that and the state inspection sticker. Upon repacement of the bushings the rear end 'issue' was taken care of, an oil change done, tbelt ordered and replace on Friday, and the inspection determined I needed tires, BAD.

While drivin to get a set of BBS RZ's locally I blew a tire. 200 miles after replacing the tbelt I blew the engine. Supposedly had some black smoke coming out when I got on it and then had a HUGE puff of black smoke before I lost compression and the car died...

Here is the results of day '2' which is the culmination of some rust repair (hole in trunk), new wheels/tires, new tbelt and all other belts, coolant flush, and then blown engine...

rescue vehicle:

Day '2' ends...

To do list:

Replace M20 (going stock m20... don't care about m50 swap)
    Replace cat/muffler - PO has stock cat cut to y pipe to that single tip muffler. welds are nice, bends are not, cat hits my ass on bumps.. also need stock muffler for Mtech 1.
    Replace suspension - rear has ill fitting monroe shocks.

Other than those items - namely the blown motor - the car is in great shape.. I undercoated areas that needed it after filing off surface rust (minor, minor areas) and everything else is solid...

Stay tuned... Faux Mtech 1 to be created soon...

But seriously... Should have stayed in retirement.. Never had a blown motor before... Good times...

My Cars
    E30, E34
    We saw what happened with Michael Jordan...

My Cars
    '86es/'87is/'89i/'98ti
    Damn, you blew the engine on the 2nd day? That sucks... =0/

My Cars
    335xi, x3, e30 318i
    oh crap good luck! I saw that one listed since it was local, Never looked at it in person though.
    335xi, x3, e30

My Cars
    None
    looking forward to see this progress, hopefully it will turn out as nice as the touring.

My Cars
    A BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
    once you go e30, you never go back!
    so true.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ickRide View Post
    yes. yes we did.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRvDrUmS View Post
    more like day 14 but after my second 'day' of work (by 'day' i mean 4 solid days of working on it)

Quote Originally Posted by Subimatt View Post
    oh crap good luck! I saw that one listed since it was local, Never looked at it in person though.
    yeah, rust free.. mechanically ok except some small leaks and of curse the engine at this point..

Quote Originally Posted by dklein90 View Post
    looking forward to see this progress, hopefully it will turn out as nice as the touring.
    not going to go as all out with this one as I did with the touring... just trying to make a nice driver to enjoy... it'll get some nice euro goodies and such for sure though... stay tuned..

My Cars
    88 iX, 92 325i,01 325xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by NHskibm View Post
    so true.

not going to go as all out with this one as I did with the touring... just trying to make a nice driver to enjoy... it'll get some nice euro goodies and such for sure though... stay tuned..
    Of course you are not going all out. Just a little something here, a small upgrade there, then wheels, then tires, then paint, then............
    Welcome back from retirement. I need you to make me feel sane and responsible.

Richard

My Cars
    '03 330i ZHP, '04 FZ6
    I knew you'd be back. They always come back.

That M20 build...yeah, I have a feeling it won't stay stock for long.

My Cars
    A BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by red88ix View Post
    Of course you are not going all out. Just a little something here, a small upgrade there, then wheels, then tires, then paint, then............
    Welcome back from retirement. I need you to make me feel sane and responsible.

Richard
    are CD43's, mtech 2 wheels, one piece shift knobs/boots considered upgrades? That's 'stock' in my book..

And I already have wheels! didn't they look great on the broken down car on the side of the highway?

Quote Originally Posted by CDBE30 View Post
    I knew you'd be back. They always come back.

That M20 build...yeah, I have a feeling it won't stay stock for long.
    M20 build will be stock for now... of course I do have that blown engine which could still have a nice head that needs a bigger block with some custom pistons and a more aggressive cam... but I'm getting ahead of myself...

My Cars
    Various junk
    Gawd I love RZ378s.

My Cars
    Some e30's & an e34
    Welcome back. Sell it now, it's only going to break your heart.

Remember to take it easy, coming out of retirement, you're not going to be as able to handle all that work as evidenced by the fact that you already broke it.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by MrGone View Post
    It is amazing how in these situations something that is typically insignificant shows fundamental differences in principles/value recognition.

My Cars
    Nuttzingnao :<
    We all knew it was only a matter of time.

Disclaimer: At any time, any single thing I say or do could be entirely or partly incorrect, wrong, or just plain in dramatic error. Take all comments, advice, and criticism at face value, and research all references I give in my posts.

My Cars
    A BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Gawd I love RZ378s.
    yes, i love them more than I thought I would.. price was right with rubber and I'm 100% happy with them over my origanl Ronal LS idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Welcome back. Sell it now, it's only going to break your heart.

Remember to take it easy, coming out of retirement, you're not going to be as able to handle all that work as evidenced by the fact that you already broke it.
    Yup, stupid me thinking a 200k car that I had for 2 weeks wanted to play around on the highway the day after tbelt change... It's like I already threw out my hip or something...

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    We all knew it was only a matter of time.
    The DT's were really getting to me.. I had to lapse, just had to.

EDIT: Radio and other parts are here now.. yay.. *sarcasm*
    Last edited by NHskibm; 04-05-2010 at 01:32 PM.

My Cars
    E30 325i Coupe
    meh.. i think i hold the record.

bought my 325i on a sunday evening, drove it home, drove it to work at 6am the next day and the water pump let go, fixed that along with timing belt and a bunch of other things, fired it up when done and broke 2 rockers before leaving the driveway lol

- My E30: Project 325i

- WMMotorsports.co.uk

My Cars
    A BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by DmcL View Post
    meh.. i think i hold the record.

bought my 325i on a sunday evening, drove it home, drove it to work at 6am the next day and the water pump let go, fixed that along with timing belt and a bunch of other things, fired it up when done and broke 2 rockers before leaving the driveway lol

My Cars
    87 325ic,04 IS300 SD
    Yes, yes we did. He scored 20 ppg being over 40 years old on a terrible Wizards team that he almost took to the playoffs. I think a 40 year old scoring 20ppg is not too bad at all

Sorry, I am a Jordan fan

My Cars
    E30, E34
    Quote Originally Posted by IS300E30 View Post
    Yes, yes we did. He scored 20 ppg being over 40 years old on a terrible Wizards team that he almost took to the playoffs. I think a 40 year old scoring 20ppg is not too bad at all

Sorry, I am a Jordan fan
    I always compare Jordan to Jordan. While the stats you mentioned arent bad compared to the other talented -or lack thereof atheletes, its wasnt the same man that nailed that jumper over and over and over again to beat everybody.

I guess that's just what happend when you're the best...people will always compare you to yourself.

Jordan fan also

My Cars
    too many bmws
    haha.. i am surprised it took you this long i saw the breakdown pic on diffdan's fb thread. had no idea you blew the motor call levent and ask him to source you an s52. or better yet, he has that MM m30 sitting around
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '00 F-350 Dually
    BMWCCA #360858 NASA # 128290

https://www.facebook.com/COTABBR

My Cars
    Mostly tourings.
    I guess that's just what happend when you're the best...people will always compare you to yourself.

Jordan fan also
    which is why NH's new e30 is constantly going to be compared to the Touring -until it gets better than the Touring.
    Quote Originally Posted by IWannaBMW View Post
    me and her, a saddle, some motor oil and some jumper cables, it would be a hell of a weekend my friends

My Cars
    too many bmws
    i predict euro bumpers, new interior, new suspension, motor build, paint job etc etc..
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '00 F-350 Dually
    BMWCCA #360858 NASA # 128290

https://www.facebook.com/COTABBR

My Cars
    '86es/'87is/'89i/'98ti
    Quote Originally Posted by denyo77 View Post
    which is why NH's new e30 is constantly going to be compared to the Touring -until it gets better than the Touring.
    Maybe I wasn't around at the time, but pics of the touring?

My Cars
    '03 330i ZHP, '04 FZ6
    Maybe I wasn't around at the time, but pics of the touring?
    Check the OP's sig, he has a build thread listed in it.

Regardless of what happens with the car, I'm just glad to see Howard back with an E30. I was selling mine a couple weeks ago but haven't had any offers - I took that as a sign that I should keep the car and restore it over the next couple years.

My Cars
    Spec E30, 91 318i
    Looks like a sweet Spec E30 candidate

If not I got first dibs when this car goes up for sale 90% complete

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast