Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [DIY] Torn Rear Shock Tower Repair

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3

[DIY] Torn Rear Shock Tower Repair

long story short: i recently found that my rear shock tower tore (for what it's worth, my setup is stock suspension and recently replaced RSMs with no RSM reinforcements - lesson learned ). in my searching for a repair tutorial, or general guidance on what to do i found lots of people mentioning how much they paid for a shop to fix it (upwards of $500-$800) and only one thread that detailed some of the process for a diy fix (thread here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1283649). this one diy fix thread helped me greatly and i want to build on that with my own experience. this whole process cost me about $50 (note: you will need access to somebody with a welder). that said, let's start off with the before pictures...

from inside the trunk:

from under the tower, where the shock connects to it:

the part to fix this is easily obtainable at the dealer for around $8. here's the part number and diagram from realoem (41148169027 - left, 41148169028 - right), number 17 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=41&fg=25

first things first, jack up the car, remove the wheel, then remove the shock. the shock is only attached at the tower (top - see pictures above - 13mm for both sides, no need to remove the center nut yet) and behind the brake caliper (at the bottom - see picture below - i believe this bolt is 17mm):

next, clean the area up and inspect the damage. proceed to kick yourself for not installing the RSM reinforcements. try to see the outline for the stock piece (identical in shape to the one you picked up at the dealer). you will need to use a sander/grinder/razor/wire brush/etc. to remove the underside coating so you can see the factory spot welds (see picture):
    from this:

to something like this:

notice the small circles on the shiny metal that you just exposed. these are the spot welds. the one at the bottom center is probably the most noticeable in the picture. once you have exposed/marked ALL 16 of the spot welds you can start drilling them out. yes, drilling...i know

all 16 welds drilled out (i used a 3/8" drill bit):

(use this as a guide to find them on your own - make sure you get all 16!)

here's a picture of what it will look like from the trunk:

see all that stuff slathered on the tower (brush strokes)? you need to figure out where the shock tower pokes through the chassis and remove that stuff to free up the torn shock tower. a razor is helpful for this step. next, remove the shock tower. this is where i think somebody might be able to improve upon my process. in the other diy thread i linked to above, it seemed like the shock tower just kind of popped out for him with a couple of hits from a small sledge...this was not the case for me. i basically used a flat head screw driver and pried the shock tower out, little by little. this was a tedious process and it ended up stretching the already pretty thin metal chassis somewhat. here's what the end result of that looked like with the shock tower removed:

here's a picture showing the old shock tower and the new one from the dealer:

prepping the new tower for welding: we test fit the new tower and marked the holes on it. it was then sanded down in those areas to allow for welding.

next step is to prep the hole in the trunk for welding. the areas around the drilled holes were sanded down to bare metal:

the new tower was then put in place and spot welded (as you can see, i purchased the RSM reinforcements ):

i bought some primer for $3 and sprayed it over the exposed metal areas in the trunk and underneath, in the wheel well.
    trunk:

wheel well (underneath):

the next step (and the most expensive part) was to slather seam sealer on the underside to protect the area from debris and to give it that factory look. I found this 3M seam sealer online for $20:

bought a couple of paint brushes and went to town on it:

i bought some paint from a website online that will sell you factory colors in a spray can (http://www.automotivetouchup.com i think was the website). i haven't painted it yet. i'll probably do that in the next couple of days.

i also haven't slathered the seam sealer in the trunk yet. i'm waiting to see how this holds up before sealing that up. with how thin the chassis metal is (i was kind of shocked), i might end up welding little reinforcements onto the chassis to ensure i don't have any issues down the line. that said, i have been driving the car around for a couple weeks and haven't had any issues. i even went for a little twisty run in the local canyons and everything has held up fine. i'm pretty pleased with the repair.

the real lesson to be learned here is that EVERYONE should buy RSM reinforcements. it is literally a 5 minute fix to prevent this ordeal i went through. i even took a picture of my other tower to show how easy it is...

before RSM reinforcement:

after (spending as little as $10 and removing/reinstalling two 13mm nuts):

i ended up buying the UUC Meyle HD RSMs (even though my old RSMs were fine, i figured i might as well replace them) and the reinforcements came with them. it's really a no-brainer to install the reinforcements, though many shops don't do so. if you feel like you might be one of those people, i highly suggest you request that your shop install these asap!

i'm sure i could have done things better which is part of the point of this thread -- to help anybody who has to deal with this in the future. i invite you to suggest better methods for doing this, but please don't post frivolous comments that contribute nothing to the thread.
    Last edited by jworms; 03-08-2024 at 10:05 PM. Reason: fixed image links
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    Dyno: 242rwhp/232rwtq
    SOLD

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Sorry to hear/see that.

Congrats - you are the poster child for RSM reinforcement plates.
    Garrett

My Cars
    M3/4/5, SL65, GS350
    You cannot bolt it in like that. That is fatigue critical structure, not designed to have loads concentrated on fasteners like that. The replacement plate will start to fail at the fastener attachement points and tear out.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3, 2002 E46 M3
    Amazing. All of the expensive engine and performance mods...but $5.00 RSM reinforcement plates that could have prevented this werent used. Priorities. SMH.

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    Sorry to hear/see that.

Congrats - you are the poster child for RSM reinforcement plates.
    yeah, i know

hopefully people will learn through my experience and buy the reinforcement plates.

Quote Originally Posted by sivikvtec View Post
    You cannot bolt it in like that. That is fatigue critical structure, not designed to have loads concentrated on fasteners like that. The replacement plate will start to fail at the fastener attachement points and tear out.
    that's the other guy's thread. i welded mine in.

Quote Originally Posted by libravcs View Post
    Amazing. All of the expensive engine and performance mods...but $5.00 RSM reinforcement plates that could have prevented this werent used. Priorities. SMH.
    lesson definitely learned on this one. like i mentioned before, hopefully this thread will save a few shock towers in the future.
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    SOLD

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Thanks for the diy. Fingers crossed that my rsms dont fail...
    "His reputation is expanding faster than the universe; he once had an awkward moment just to see how it feels; he lives vicariously through himself; he is the most interesting man in the world"

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Good job!

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by jworms View Post
    that's the other guy's thread. i welded mine in.
    I just peeped that link. Oh man, that bolt-in repair is hilarious!!
    Garrett

My Cars
    97 //M3/4/5 & 99 //M3/C
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    I just peeped that link. Oh man, that bolt-in repair is hilarious!!
    I agree, how hard can it be to find somebody to spot weld it (or seam weld it) to do it right.

Nice write up. I hope I never have to do it, but it's nice to see it documented!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Very nice- this happened to me as well and I took it to Mieneke for a quick fix but yours is so much cleaner. Mine is SLOPPY! lol. Miracle it hasnt failed yet. The only thing I do like about it is that they welded on a fat metal plate for strength. =P
    Yellow 1995 BMW M3 1 out of 8,515. Build Date: 10/94
    Engine- S52 OBD1 Swap, TRM Chip, 21.5 lb. inj., 3.5 HFM/ECIS, AA catback exhaust
    Transmission- Aluminum flywheel, 3.23 Diff
    Suspension: H&Rs and Bilsteins, Powerflex/ AKG Bushings, X-Brace, UUC Swaybarbarians
    Rims: 18x8.5 BBS RCs FORGED
    Brakes: Brembo Rotors, Hawk Pads, Steel Brakelines
    Dynojet RWHP: 250.9 TQ: 237.72 CA SMOG LEGAL POWER! =)
    Best 1/4 mile: TBD
    Weight: 2650 lbs w/ 1/4 tank of gas

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoAverageJoe View Post
    Thanks for the diy. Fingers crossed that my rsms dont fail...
    Dont cross your fingers, it wont do you any good. Add reinforcements and put it out of your mind.

Jworms, thats a boss DIY. This kind of thing really helps the forums.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Is the replacement panel thicker than the old one?

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    I was wondering that too, but I doubt it knowing BMW.

My Cars
    97 M3/4 2001 SVT Lightin
    Nice write up!
    When are you going to make another jab at the fastest quarter mile NA E36 record?
    BFC O.T. Weekday drunks club Member#17

My Cars
    '90 325iS '98 M3 Coupe
    Very nice DIY!

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Thanks for the compliments all. i wish i didn't have to make this thread, but i feel a little bit better about it knowing that others might benefit from it now

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
    Is the replacement panel thicker than the old one?
    i'm honestly not sure. i really think they are about the same thickness. it's kind of surprising that this happens because the shock tower is pretty thick metal, especially when compared to the chassis metal that it's welded to.

Quote Originally Posted by racer m View Post
    Nice write up!
    When are you going to make another jab at the fastest quarter mile NA E36 record?
    hah! as soon as the weather gets colder i'll give it another shot. probably towards the end of the year, around november.

SOLD

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    looks really good man!

My Cars
    97 M3, 11 CR-Z, 89 YJ
    Excellent work man! Glad you got it taken care of. I ripped the stuff out of my trunk yesterday to inspect, seems ok. Placed an order for the Mason strut brace to help prevent this from happening. I'm amazed how clean it turned out for you, great thread!
    Last edited by KGB M3; 03-31-2010 at 02:48 AM.

My Cars
    95 m3
    Was wondering about the process of your shock tower repair. Glad to see you tackle to job. It came out great. Props on documenting it for the community!

Mods: obd1 s52, SS replica headers, SS race mid-section, SS exhaust, euro intake, 3.5" hfm, turner tune, 24lb injectors, uuc flywheel, m5 clutch.

My Cars
    E36
    Sticky!

great write up, I'm going to go look at mine and see if they're reinforced.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    I thought this was going to be fail when you referenced that other thread, but it looks good. Now to see how it holds up.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    '97 M3/4, ''23 T4R Pro
    Nice write-up, added to the DIY guide.

My Cars
    99 M3-92 Mtech2-Cummins
    nice.. done the correct way

current = '99 Estoril/Mulberry M3 Coupe :: past = '97 Alpine/Anthrazit M3 Coupe

My Cars
    IG: Clearsandadrop
    Beautiful work on the repair John. I'm surprised you, of all people, would overlook the RSM plates. Well at least it won't happen again lol.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Where else you buy the RSM plates
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast