Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Moldings!!!!

My Cars
    94 318i convertible

Question Side Moldings!!!!

The previous owner had my side moldings removed and the slots filled, plus he color matched everything, door handles, mirrors, and bumper moldings. I was wondering what lengths I would have to go through to get side moldings back on my car because after seeing a couple of sweet ass alpine cars with black moldings I have become quite jealous. pic below

thanks in advance for advise. L8tr.

My Cars
    '02 330it
    I don't think it would be worth the effort to get them back. Maybe fill in the front and back bumper to complete the look???

My Cars
    '93 325is
    probably a lot of work. doing the handles wouldnt be bad though

My Cars
    hoveround
    I agree, not a fan of the color matched moldings on the e36. The front and back bumper would be easy enough, just pull and replace those with new moldings, same as the door handles as mentioned above. As far as the side moldings, you're only option other than new doors or undoing the body work (which would be way more work than it's worth IMO), would be to buy new moldings (probably the M moldings as they have more contact area) and use some sort of adhesive to stick them straight to the body. 3M actually makes some pretty strong double sided strips which I've used in commercial applications and holds quite well. I just wouldn't expect it to last forever, but i expect it would last quite a while. But if you do a little research you might be able to find even more options.
    Edit: Here's a similar product to what I was referring to
    http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html
    Last edited by RsKeyz; 03-23-2010 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    its like an optical illusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smigz View Post
    Holy shit BMW makes a street sweeper!?

My Cars
    Avus M3, dumped e46 323i
    Thats so ugly...

Mine came like that too, white EVERYTHING, but my moldings werent removed and filled, so glad, ha, i dont know what to tell you..

My Cars
    94 318i convertible

Side Moldings?

Sorry for the double post guys, but my previous thread got closed due to some "Racey" comments posted by someone else

Other than that the advice / $.02 I was getting was helping me make a decision on what to do with my car.
    Those of you who already answered this post, 18rabbit, Mauritius,RsKeyz thanks for three different views on the situation.

So heres the quick break down along with pic. The previous owner of my car shaved my side moldings off, and after seeing some white e36's with all the moldings on and having them black , especially on a vert with black top, has made me quite jealous lol.

What I wanted to know was how much trouble would it be to get side moldings back on my car, and/or would it even be worth the trouble?

Please don't shit on this thread

My Cars
    '08 535xi
    Trying to clean the body filler out of the molding indents would be far more work than it's worth. You could try to find stick on aftermarket moldings for the doors (http://www.customautotrim.com/produc...dings/body.htm), and just strip the paint off of the bumper moldings.

My Cars
    E36
    too much work.

id shave the molding on the bumpers and try to rock it hard.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Shave the bumper moldings and get rid of the side turn signal and you'll be set. Maybe shave the handles too.

My Cars
    '89 325is, '13 328i
    If it were me I'd take it to a body shop and see what they think, maybe you can have holes drilled and just do some m3 style side moldings. It would so much better with black moldings all around.

edit: and I just read your last thread, they should have banned the idiot who had nothing to contribute
    Last edited by Go3Go; 03-23-2010 at 08:01 PM.

My Cars
    hoveround
    Yes, it would be nice if they could just delete the offending comments and revoke the posting privileges of the offenders.
    I still say you can stick on factory side moldings with the 3M product and strip and repaint the rest of the goods.
    I'm not 100% sure what the back side of the factory moldings look like, but from what I remember, and with no clips installed, I think you would be still able to find enough surface area to mate the adhesive strip to. As I said earlier, I used a nearly identical product and that stuff STICKS. In fact, you have to be very careful when applying it because if you're slightly off, you're gonna have a hell of a time getting it back off. But with a friends help and the right planning, I think it's the best and cheapest way to go.
    And don't forget to paint that front grill back to black too
    Last edited by RsKeyz; 03-23-2010 at 08:26 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 318is
    It does not look that bad - especially on your convertible. Not something I have often seen. Unless you absolutely hate it just leave it. makes your car quite different.

My Cars
    96 328i, 80 VW caddy
    It does look kinda odd but it would be a pain in the ass to add them unless you just do some type of tape or some molding stuck on with adhesive.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Go3Go View Post
    If it were me I'd take it to a body shop and see what they think, maybe you can have holes drilled and just do some m3 style side moldings. It would so much better with black moldings all around.

edit: and I just read your last thread, they should have banned the idiot who had nothing to contribute
    Quote Originally Posted by RsKeyz View Post
    Yes, it would be nice if they could just delete the offending comments and revoke the posting privileges of the offenders.
    I still say you can stick on factory side moldings with the 3M product and strip and repaint the rest of the goods.
    I'm not 100% sure what the back side of the factory moldings look like, but from what I remember, and with no clips installed, I think you would be still able to find enough surface area to mate the adhesive strip to. As I said earlier, I used a nearly identical product and that stuff STICKS. In fact, you have to be very careful when applying it because if you're slightly off, you're gonna have a hell of a time getting it back off. But with a friends help and the right planning, I think it's the best and cheapest way to go.

We do whats in best interest for everyone on the forum. That thread was ended before it had a chance to escalate, and pm's were sent. End of discussion.

C

My Cars
    1993 325i mschnitzer
    What about adding some type of pinstriping to fill up the empty area instead?
    Mods so far K&N Ram Air, Bavauto chip, AC Schnitzer rims, AC Schnitzer door sills, AC Schnitzer Auto Shift Knob, AC Schnitzer shift surround, AC Schnitzer aluminum dash insert cover, AC Schnitzer E Brake handle, CF emblems, Xenon Interior lights, AC Schnitzer lowering springs, M3 exhaust, DEPO headlights, clear corners, M3 mirrors, Ebay Lip (Seibon type if I remeber correctly)...................so far

My Cars
    2001 325ci coupe
    I kinda like it . It almost looks like a 1 series .

My Cars
    98 E36, 12 Wrangler
    I'd fix the mirrors, door handles and bumper trim and leave it at that.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I agree wit RsKeyz, get some replacements or some M style from DDM Tuning and adhere them with 3M tape or glue. Use some painters tape to give you a line to follow and go from there. You need some contrast, at least you don't have any rust showing from under the moldings like I do.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2001 325ci coupe
    clear corners would look good on it to .

My Cars
    '89 325is, '13 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    I agree wit RsKeyz, get some replacements or some M style from DDM Tuning and adhere them with 3M tape or glue. Use some painters tape to give you a line to follow and go from there. You need some contrast, at least you don't have any rust showing from under the moldings like I do.
    yeah I'd go with this too, worst case you're out a little money and back to square one

My Cars
    hoveround
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    You need some contrast, at least you don't have any rust showing from under the moldings like I do.
    Yep, and it's not just the contrast...
    I think MParallell touched on this in the first thread, but it ruins the cars lines. Now that they have more advanced metal forming processes, they can add creases and more lines in the sheetmetal as a design element. Therefore the body colored moldings on modern cars don't look out of place. But on the E36 along with countless other cars, those moldings were one of the main design elements. It's part of the cars character. Without them the car just looks unfinished...
    Last edited by RsKeyz; 03-24-2010 at 12:16 AM.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    original thread and new thread merged to share ideas from open minded persons. anyone else that feels they need to make racist comments will join the other two members that I temporarily banned for their less then spectacular participation in the original thread.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    94 318i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by RsKeyz View Post
    I think that this is going to be my solution,because I do want the moldings. And if it will look close to stock then I will attempt it, maybe even do a write up or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jarozila View Post
    It does not look that bad - especially on your convertible. Not something I have often seen. Unless you absolutely hate it just leave it. makes your car quite different.
    I agree that it does not look THAT bad but I think it would look a bit more right with the moldings , but leaving it as is was def a thought

Quote Originally Posted by 328icod View Post
    We do whats in best interest for everyone on the forum. That thread was ended before it had a chance to escalate, and pm's were sent. End of discussion.

C
    Thanks for opening it back up mod. And I let him have it in a pm also.It was totally uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by predsfan75 View Post
    I kinda like it . It almost looks like a 1 series .
    Thanks ,I have gotten a few compliments before because of it, non bmw people tend to think that its a few years newer than what it actually is lol

Quote Originally Posted by predsfan75 View Post
    clear corners would look good on it to .
    since that pic I have already installed depo's with hid kit, clears all the way around to come soon..... about to go to uti so money is about to get tight for upgrades lol

My Cars
    1998 323Is, 1964 Impala
    Im wondering if they welded every little hole shut (hard to believe) .... they might have just body filled it or used some epoxy. I bet if you measured another e36 side molding you could find the exact some where they should be. I had this happen once, just used a screw driver over the hole and it popped it open. Better yet, remove a door panel see from behind if its welded or how they did it. Its a preference, some say do it some say dont, totally up to you. But I do agree on Go3G's comment, take it to a shop and get some opinions. Only after you've seen how they were filled from behind the door panel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast