Thread: Koni FSD's gone, Bilstein PSS9's are on..Pics

My Cars
    2002 530I 1999 M3

Koni FSD's gone, Bilstein PSS9's are on..Pics

I couldnt take the front end bounce or the overall softness on the Koni's anymore, so, installed the Bilstein PSS9's. I also installed 5mm spacers all around from Racemax. I had to do this on the fronts due to tire size (so they would clear the shock tower) so decided to do it all around.

Overall impression, Huge improvement. Of course it is much firmer than the Koni's were and way firmer than stock sport springs/shocks. But the car now handles the way I want it to. Body roll is greatly reduced and cornering capability is what I expect from a BMW. Since I dont use this car to take Mom to the grocery store anymore, it doesnt have to pass the Mom test, it just has to do what I ask of it and it does now.

Bilstein specifies that if you are running 245/40/18 or larger in front, a 5mm spacer will be required. Thats what I have in front and 275/35/18 in back.
    2002 530IS 5 speed, Sapphire Black/Sand, M-Tech sport package, premium package, ESS Twin Screw supercharger, Southbend high performance clutch, Performance Gearing 3.15 LSD.....1999 M3 Cosmos Black/Black, Active Autowerks intercooled supercharger, H&R suspension and a bunch of other stuff....

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Very nice! Is that the ride height you were planning on leaving it at for daily?

Looks great.

My Cars
    2002 530I 1999 M3
    I will probably leave it there. I can get one finger in between the tire and fender in the rear, about half a finger in front. I am able to ride that low on the softest setting with almost no rubbing. If I hit a big dip real hard it does rub a little. I could lower it more but then I would have to stiffen up the dampers for the daily ride.
    2002 530IS 5 speed, Sapphire Black/Sand, M-Tech sport package, premium package, ESS Twin Screw supercharger, Southbend high performance clutch, Performance Gearing 3.15 LSD.....1999 M3 Cosmos Black/Black, Active Autowerks intercooled supercharger, H&R suspension and a bunch of other stuff....

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Looks nice...any other side/side comparison shots?
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    2002 530I 1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by oekundar View Post
    Looks nice...any other side/side comparison shots?
    Yes, I posted under the "Pic request: E39 slammed" thread too, now on page two.....

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by thetinpusher View Post
    Yes, I posted under the "Pic request: E39 slammed" thread too, now on page two.....
    At the current height, you are going to get comments on how "unslammed" it is... you prob know that already tho.

I like the current height tho. Thats about where you want it for comfy daily with sporty highlights.

My Cars
    2002 530I 1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb3113 View Post
    At the current height, you are going to get comments on how "unslammed" it is... you prob know that already tho.

I like the current height tho. Thats about where you want it for comfy daily with sporty highlights.
    Lol, bring it on. I had the sport suspension and could get four fingers between the tire and fender......so what I have now is much lower and is as low as I want to go for the street. I most likely will go lower in the rear for the track as I can do that without removing the tire.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Awesome!
    Love the car!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Comfort...how does it drive versus the FSD's? Is it painful over bumps/potholes etc?
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    thetinpusher,

Nice bro. I can't wait to put a set on my M5. Did you get the ones with 9 adjustable damping settings or the other kit... ?

Car looks tits man... !

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Comfort...how does it drive versus the FSD's? Is it painful over bumps/potholes etc?
    +1.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    e39
    FSD are not for the e39...They have been removed from Koni's catalog for BMW e39. They replaced a few under warranty with Yellows. Some failed at 10k miles. Koni made a mistake by selling them for the e39.

I have Koni's Yellow Sport. They are excellent. Not soft, not stiff.

My Cars
    97' M3 coupe
    quick question, do coilovers have to settle? like replacing just springs?
    sig12 by Devo325, on Flickr

My Cars
    2002 530I 1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    I have it set at the softest setting and I wouldnt say it is painful, definitely firmer but not painful. The car just feels connected to the road now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Da Clean1 View Post
    thetinpusher,

Nice bro. I can't wait to put a set on my M5. Did you get the ones with 9 adjustable damping settings or the other kit... ?
    Car looks tits man... !
    Yes, this is the PSS9 system with 9 different dampener settings, 9 being softest, 1 the firmest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    +1.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Devo540 View Post
    quick question, do coilovers have to settle? like replacing just springs?
    I am not sure about that. I did notice that I had some vibration at about 45 -50 mph after I lowered it. I probably should have realigned it since I lowered it after the initial install, but the vibration has disappeared after driving it for a few miles.
    Last edited by thetinpusher; 03-22-2010 at 07:02 PM.

My Cars
    2002, 528i, LS430, RX330
    Looks great!

Didn't you have the acs flippers?

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Looking great man! Can't wait to get my PSS9's on.

Any chance of a full review after a few thousand miles are put on them?

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    this 530 is a win
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Always top shelf brother.. Looks Superb!

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2002 530I 1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon5069 View Post
    Looks great!

Didn't you have the acs flippers?
    Yeah but got rid of them when one got cracked, changed to an M5 bumper and Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
    Looking great man! Can't wait to get my PSS9's on.

Any chance of a full review after a few thousand miles are put on them?
    Absoulutely! I will for sure do a write up after my cross country to Elkhart Lake WI and Oktoberfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Orxan4ik View Post
    this 530 is a win
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    Always top shelf brother.. Looks Superb!
    Thanks Ken!

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    Looks great, I think you should lower it so you can't fit any fingers in. Maybe thats just me. It actually looks really nice how it is now though. Thanks for putting the review/pics up

My Cars
    03' 530i 72' Turbo 240z
    Nice upgrade. Looks Great!