Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S54 Throttle Bodies on M54 head

My Cars
    BMW E46 325i

S54 Throttle Bodies on M54 head

Back in September I started working on a way to adapt the S54 individual throttle bodies to an M54 head. Here are a few pictures of the results.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1508570346

I used a Faro arm to model the block and head in 3D so as to make sure the alignment was suitable for the ITB throttle position sensor in relation to the intake VANOS solenoid as they want to occupy the same space. Then with this data I used SolidWorks to model the adapters.

SolidWorks has a curve smooth function so I was able to make a very nice transition from the adpters oval opening for the ITB's to the "D" shaped port of the head. The results have been really good. The engine makes very good power and pulls hard all the way to 8500 RPM's. Here is a the HP curve from the Dynojet. The engine is 2979cc.

Last edited by Kpoeltl; 03-20-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added HP and Torque graph

Karl Poeltl
    Racer's Edge Founder and President

My Cars
    E30 325i ,e38 740il
    what other modifications have you done to the motor that would affect that dyno number?

Btw, Good cad model, i am more partial to inventor However solidworks is looking very impressive!

Could You send me the Model file to look at closer?

My Cars
    1990 325is
    Wow... it looks like you've posted an S54 graph.

What was the motor making before the ITB's?

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Yeah exactly what are you runnign ont he engine. Obviously not the stock ECU...
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    BMW E46 325i
    The engine is a race engine I built for club racing in DM. It is setup to run just under 13:1 CR and uses Wossner forged pistons. The engine is Motec M600 controlled and is running intake VANOS only. The cams are a race grind and are DLC coated which adds about 6-8hp to the bottom line and is all solid lifter etc.... The engine runs an Auto Verdi 5 stage dry sump which pulls a healthy vacuum so the wrist pins are DLC coated as well. The engine made 308 rear wheel HP at 6800 rpm before the ITB's but that number fell off significantly above 7800 RPM. In order to improve the engines breathing capabilities I decided to try and move to ITB's. This would also allow easy tuning with runner length which was not possible except for DESA before the ITB's. The before ITB's comparison number is not a direct comparison because I also added 1mm larger intake valves while doing the ITB work as the flow that the stock intake valve supported was not sufficient for what was now possible with the ITB's. The head has been significantly "massaged" to help flow as well. The design of the adapters took significant time and resources but has been well worth it as far as performance goes. I can't provide the drawings as they are proprietary to Racer's Edge Inc but I can provide the actual adapters to anyone interested or can build anyone a complete engine as well if desired.

Karl Poeltl

My Cars
    E30 m3 DM, E30 m3/s5
    How did you get down from 3L to 2979cc? Offset grind the crank? Or different crank? If so what crank are you using?

thanks,
    -Rick

SolidWorks has a curve smooth function so I was able to make a very nice transition from the adpters oval opening for the ITB's to the "D" shaped port of the head. The results have been really good. The engine makes very good power and pulls hard all the way to 8500 RPM's. Here is a the HP curve from the Dynojet. The engine is 2979cc.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1508570346[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    BMW E46 325i
    The M54B30 engine stock bore and stroke is 84mm x 89.6mm which is 2979.3cc. I added a graph of the engine before the ITB's and after (also inlcudes 1mm larger intake valves)

Last edited by Kpoeltl; 03-22-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Karl Poeltl

My Cars
    1990 325is
    Nice!

I need to inform you that the M54 isn't capable of making that kind of power... the head studs pull out and the aluminum melts. Just kidding.

For a motor that spins to 8000 why did you decide to keep the intake VANOS?

My Cars
    E30 m3 DM, E30 m3/s5
    Did you weigh it? Currious of the savings over my destroked euro 3.2. Very nice setup btw.

-Rick

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Thats pretty damn awesome!

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    I looked at the facebook pics. Pretty neat. Not a cheap way to make a Dmod engine. It is about 30ish pounds lighter than a euro motor or an S54..

Did they regrind the stock cams? or from billets. If they did regrind them who didit and the coatings?
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    '11 Hennessey V600 Coupe

Re: S54 Throttle Bodies on M54 head

Quote Originally Posted by Kpoeltl
    The M54B30 engine stock bore and stroke is 84mm x 89.6mm which is 2979.3cc. I added a graph of the engine before the ITB's and after (also inlcudes 1mm larger intake valves)

Wow! I guess you are extremely hopeful that it never wears ANY or it's actual measured displacement will move it into CM according to the rules? There used to be a rules clarification (a couple of years ago, but it didn't make it into the rulebook) that seemed to declare these engines legal for DM, but in fact only stated the obvious (that from the OEM they were legal because they were within the displacement limits) rather than declaring them to be legal no matter how much wear and/or what modifications may have been made. Aren't the actual stock dimensions, before ANY honing or wear within something like .001" of exceeding the maximum displacement limit for DM if they were to ever impound & accurately inspect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Akard #03 SPO/SM Street Legal, Licensed, & Insured 1991 (e30) 318is
    S50B32 & e30 Race Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies FOR SALE...Always making room for "NEW" toys!
    VADER/Back In Black...V-8 Street Legal SPO/SM in 2011

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Awesome!
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228

RE: Rick's set up

Quote Originally Posted by rmm3 View Post
    Did you weigh it? Currious of the savings over my destroked euro 3.2. Very nice setup btw.

-Rick
    Destroked 3.0..... right?

Very very impressive project by OP....
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    1999 328i -2000 323i
    How much would you charge for the adapter? That is awesome btw!

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    That's sounds awesome, but can you attach pictures here? It prompts for login to facebook. I don't have an account there.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    01 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit38 View Post
    How much would you charge for the adapter? That is awesome btw!
    im also curious to find this out as well

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by MAkard View Post
    Wow! I guess you are extremely hopeful that it never wears ANY or it's actual measured displacement will move it into CM according to the rules? There used to be a rules clarification (a couple of years ago, but it didn't make it into the rulebook) that seemed to declare these engines legal for DM, but in fact only stated the obvious (that from the OEM they were legal because they were within the displacement limits) rather than declaring them to be legal no matter how much wear and/or what modifications may have been made. Aren't the actual stock dimensions, before ANY honing or wear within something like .001" of exceeding the maximum displacement limit for DM if they were to ever impound & accurately inspect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    while he is at/near the limit, he did also bump the compression, which would add some material to the top of the piston, thus making a little less room in the combustion chamber, no? or is that not how engines work/get measured.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Its cool, but definitely going to be short lived at that RPM with the S52/M54B30 crank

My Cars
    1991 318is and 1997 328i
    any more news on this?

My Cars
    1998 e36
    nevermind
    Last edited by hakentt; 07-23-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: deleted

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci
    [QUOTE=This is not worth doing on everyday street car.
    Aluminum blocks are not good for power[/QUOTE]

If it isn't a good street car mod, then why does every current M engine have ITB's? He has very short intake runners so it is tuned for high rpm power. Longer runners would give better torque and power at lower rpm.
    Also, if aluminum blocks aren't good for power, then why does every current M engine have an aluminum block?

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjo328ci View Post
    If it isn't a good street car mod, then why does every current M engine have ITB's? He has very short intake runners so it is tuned for high rpm power. Longer runners would give better torque and power at lower rpm.
    Also, if aluminum blocks aren't good for power, then why does every current M engine have an aluminum block?

THIS!!! I've always wondered why no one really mods m54's? Are they that bad because of their aluminum block? I also heard the n54's have similar blocks but a different head than the m54 and they run boost on a aluminum block. Can someone clarify the problems with highly modified m54's versus s52's?

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Iron vs aluminum, there are some people who run aluminum block race motors but there are several problems that have to be addressed with the aluminum block.
    First is that aluminum will loose it's heat treatment when it gets hot. At that point all the tapped treads will pull out of the block, main and head bolts will pull threads out when torqued, or when stressed. To counter this the builder needs to time-cert their aluminum block proactivly, and keep the motor at the proper temperature with a large enough radiator.
    Second problem with aluminum blocks is that the steel cylinder sleves will drop out of the block because of the dissimilar expension rate between steel and aluminum.
    An iron block won't suffer from any of these problems, at only a slight weight penalty, that can be made up by taking more off the chassis.

As for using ITB's, there are many racing classes where having a set installed will earn you an automatic DNF. You can't truely win if your car's blatently illegal. I have a set from a late S50 euro motor that I can't install, because of a rules change that expressly made installing multiple TB's on a single TB motor illegal.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    OP, you should try to keep in contact with a fellow member here by the name of PEI330Ci who is also active on e46fanatics.com as well. He has extensively worked on his 330ci with the m54b30 engine where he had a euro s50 intake without ITB for his numerous experimental conducts. Aside from that he did a lot of work on his car and on the m54 engine making it rev to about 8k rpm. He also had a nitrous setup as well. He knows quite a lot of stuff that you may find interesting. Thought I'll let you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast