Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full OBC Retrofit / Conversion Directions

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT

Full OBC Retrofit / Conversion Directions

I successfully swapped out my 11-Button OBC for an 18-Button in my 98 M3, and it wasn’t that hard. All functions work, including the hidden ones. Anyone with moderate mechanical skills can complete this conversion; I give it a two-½ wrench out of five difficulty level. Much quicker and a little easier than installing VDO gauges. I’m an idiot, so it couldn’t have been that tough. Special recognition should be given to BiMmEr JoN who made the original OBC Conversion post on this board (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...%2A+conversion) and whose collaboration made my retrofit possible.

I wanted a full OBC when I was shopping for an M3. When I finally found a used one that wasn’t thrashed, I was very disappointed that it only had the enhanced clock OBC. What can I say? I love gadgets. When I started researching the possibility of converting a full OBC into my Bimmer, everything I read said either: “a swap is not possible, buy a car with it installed”, or, “you can retrofit an 18-Button OBC, but it will require you to tear your interior apart, install sensors, and run long runs of wire…it is not worth the hassle”. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! This is how I did it.

First, I have to note a few disclaimers:

1. This procedure worked on my 98 M3. There is no guarantee that it will work on your BMW. The Bentley manual notes two E36 OBC diagrams: 1992-1997 (non-318ti) and 1998 (non-318ti). The 1992-1997 diagram is slightly different. Also, the ZKE IV wasn’t available until 1994. However, you should be able to modify these instructions to make it work on your car.

2. In the interest of brevity, I am assuming that you know, or will be able to get instructions to remove: 1)OBC, 2)Airbag and Steering Wheel (you can really hurt yourself if you don’t follow safety procedures http://212.53.90.108/cardiy/openproc...99391394050017), 3) Instrument Cluster, and 4)Glove Box. I am also assuming that you will be able to figure out some sub-procedures that I will not mention, but should be obvious.

As BiMmEr JoN noted in his post, you will need a working 18-Button OBC and the white X1071 connector that the 11-Button OBC doesn’t have. Also get an OBC controller turn signal stalk if you want to control the OBC with it. I ordered my OBC and connectors from an import salvage yard over the phone. I strongly recommend that you use a Bentley Manual. Even though some of the electrical diagrams are not perfect, it will pay for itself many times over in time saved.

You must be familiar with the naming conventions of the connectors used in this retrofit. The new OBC uses two connectors. The black connector is called X1070. That is the connector that the old 11-Button OBC used. The white connector is called X1071. That is the new connector that you should have got with your new OBC. The Instrument Cluster has two connectors. The white connector is called X16 and the blue connector is called X17.

These are the steps for retrofitting the OBC. It does not necessarily have to be in this order. Refer to the attached diagram labeled “18-Button OBC Retrofit Wiring Diagram”.

1. Remove old OBC, Steering Wheel, Instrument Cluster, and dashboard.

2. Remove the two connectors from the back of the Instrument Cluster.

3. Tap a fresh wire into the white/gray (WHT/GRY) wire on Pin 10 of connector X17 and run it to the white/gray wire coming out of Pin 9 of X1071.

4. Tap a fresh wire into the white/violet (WHT/VIO) wire on X16 and run it to the white/violet wire coming out of Pin 5 of X1071. Tap a fresh wire into the white/yellow (WHT/YEL) wire on X16 and run it to the white/yellow wire coming out of Pin 7 of X1071.

5. Remove the X16 connector cover to reveal the metal pins of the connector. You must figure out a way to install a new pin into the vacant Pin 21 slot. I went to the local BMW dealership and browsed their connector bins until I found a male pin connector that I could modify to work. I soldiered a fresh wire onto the pin and set the pin into the vacant Pin 21 slot in the X16 connector. I then ran this new wire to the white/black wire coming out of Pin 6 of X1071.

6. Find the ZKE IV Control Module behind the glove box. The Bentley manual will help you find it. Fabricate a pin to fit into the vacant Pin 15 of this connector. I fabricated this pin from a blue Butt Connector. Run a fresh wire from Pin 15 of the ZKE IV to the black/green (BLK/GRN) wire coming out of Pin 1 of X1071.

7. Install the turn signal stalk. Tap into the brown/red wire of the new turn signal stalk and run it to the brown/red wire of Pin 4 of X1071.

8. Tap into the brown (BRN) wire coming from Pin 17 of connector X1070 and run it to the brown wire of Pin 13 of X1071.

9. Tap into the red/yellow (RED/YEL) wire of Pin 18 of X1070 and run it to the red/yellow wire of Pin 8 of X1071.

10. Put everything back together. Connect the two connectors into your new OBC. Keep your fingers crossed, everything should work.

What do all the new wires do? I’m not certain, but based upon my review of the Bentley diagrams, my guesses are indicted below. Perhaps it may help trouble-shoot a retrofit that isn’t cooperating. But like I said, I'm an idiot, so trust your judgement and a good wiring diagram.

·White/Gray wire: connects OBC to speedometer sensor
    ·White/Violet and White/Yellow wires: connects OBC to data link system. This system integrates most of the electronic boxes such as ABS, Cruise Control, EWS, ZKE, DME, OBC, etc.
    ·White/black wire: connects OBC to gas gauge
    ·Black/Green: connects OBC to AWS anti-theft device
    ·Brown/Red: grounds OBC for turn signal stalk activated menu display
    ·Brown: Ground
    ·Red/Yellow: Power

Good luck! And don't listen to people who say it can't be done. They don't know what they're talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '92 325i
    Sweet writeup! Filip75 should add this to his DIY page.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Some people have asked me where I got my OBC and connector. I purchased it through Bavarian Auto Recycling (800-726-4269). They asked $135 for the OBC and $17 for the connectors. I offered $135 or both and they accepted.

I have also had good results with Strictly German (706-654-9156).

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Did you install the stalk? If so, how does it differ from the stalks on 11 button OBC cars? (I'm guessing that it pushes inward.) Curious so that I can attempt to locate one.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Originally posted by incubus
    Did you install the stalk? If so, how does it differ from the stalks on 11 button OBC cars? (I'm guessing that it pushes inward.) Curious so that I can attempt to locate one.
    My stalk is on order (cheaper from Pacific BMW than recycler). You activate it by pushing in; like the cruise control. I know that my menu function works by grounding the wire to cycle through the menus.

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    My 18 button OBC will be coming soon and I'll begin converting my '92 325is from its previous 11 button unit. I was not aware that the stalks were different. Can anyone elaborate on that? What features are missed without changing the stalk?

Thanks,
    Tommy

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    The stalk isn't useful IMO, I bearly use it. Pushing it makes the OBC cycle thru the functions, like if you were pressing the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Originally posted by Daved
    The stalk isn't useful IMO, I bearly use it. Pushing it makes the OBC cycle thru the functions, like if you were pressing the buttons.
    Thanks. I guess the next question is whether or not that function is required for the OBC to function as normal?

Tommy

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Originally posted by Tommy R
    Thanks. I guess the next question is whether or not that function is required for the OBC to function as normal?

Tommy
    It doesn't effect OBC function. It just allows you to cycle through the OBC functions without having to bend down to push the buttons.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Don't even worry about it, Tommy. It's useless, trust me, you need to take your eyes off the road to see the OBC anyways. In my own experience, it takes less time (so it's safer) to select the function pushing the buttons on the OBC directly than using the stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, I figured it'd be more distracting to cycle through all the features than to just directly hit the button of the feature I want. I just wanted to make sure it didn't "complete a circuit" or something goofy, making it mandatory for normal operation otherwise.

It looks like I won't be worrying about it.

Thanks!
    Tommy

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Originally posted by Tommy R
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, I figured it'd be more distracting to cycle through all the features than to just directly hit the button of the feature I want. I just wanted to make sure it didn't "complete a circuit" or something goofy, making it mandatory for normal operation otherwise.

It looks like I won't be worrying about it.

Thanks!
    Tommy
    All the stalk does is ground the cycle wire. You could do the same thing by mounting a button somewhere. I purchased a stalk (that I swear I will mount one day....probably when I get around to installing my adjustable steering column) so that the whole system is like original.

My Cars
    no BMW at the time
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw325iman
    Sweet writeup! Filip75 should add this to his DIY page.
    I've added it
    Ordered: '14 BMW M4
    Current: '08 Suzuki GSXR 1000; '08 HD Street Bob
    Previous: '06 BMW 330Ci; '06 Mercedes CLK-350; '04 Acura TL A-Spec; '95 BMW 318ti

My Cars
    '01 530i

Thumbs up Do you have to remove the steering wheel/airbag?

BimmerJon's post never mentions anything about removing the steering wheel, dash or any other significant parts other than the intrument cluster and center console. It seems to me that this conversion can be done pretty easily w/out removing the wheel and dash. Can anyone confirm or contrast this?

Thanks,
    Jon
    '95 M3 Mugello Rot (April '04 production)

My Cars
    1992 325i
    I have done this and you dont need to remove the steering wheel. Just take your time and lay everything out and its not as hard as everyone says it is.

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    I just did the conversion last night on my '92 that originally had the 11 button OBC and no factory alarm. It wasn't too bad, but there was some ambiguity with regard to some of the wire locations. I didn't remove the steering wheel to get the instrument cluster out, though it was rather tricky. Keep in mind I didn't install the blinker stalk for the full OBC, though. Not worth it to me.

However, my "Range" function doesn't work and my SRS (air bag) light is flashing. I'm hoping the light needs to merely be reset by the dealer, but I'm looking for help to figure out why the Range feature isn't working properly. Bimmer Jon had this issue, but apparently got it working. I just need to determine how.....

Tommy

My Cars
    E46 330iT E36 328i
    I tried the OBC conversion, I followed it exactly like the instructions said and it didn't work. My car is a 318i and apparently it doesn't work on the 4 banger....DAMN!!!

My Cars
    M3/28is
    Does my 11/93 production 325is have this ZKE IV module you speak of that's behind the gloevbox? I remember they didn't have those until a certain production date.. And with it came pre-wired alarm, closing sunroof with key, etc...

My Cars
    M3/28is
    Also, has anyone tried this on earlier E36s? It was mentioned that pre-98 had slightly different wiring diagrams, so I wanted to make sure...

My Cars
    1988 325i Cabriolet
    Anybody do an OBC swap between languages?
    I've been driving 318i's all my life, I didn't even know there was a difference between 11 and 18.. but I'm sure gonna find out now

Anywho, the 325is I'm buying (the bank called me today, check is ready tomorrow - can you say "vrooom, vrooom!") has an OBC (not sure how many fuctnions, i'm gonna find out) but it's in spanish (Eurospec - Latin America car). While I'm fully fluent in Spanish, I'd prefer it in English. Anyone ever do a swap like that? Anyone know if it's even possible? Can't I just flash something? :P
    Propellerhead in Panama
    ---------------------------------------------
    1988 325ic - "Betty" - Daily Driver / Project Car
    ---------------------------------------------
    1993 318i - "The Golden Dream" - Dad's Car.
    1995 318ti - "Hellrot" - R.I.P.

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Do a search. There's an procedure to change the language of OBC.

Tommy

My Cars
    95 M3, 2014 228i

OBC upgrade

Hi, I read your instructions and have a couple questions... Why do you have to remove the steering wheel? The instrument cluster comes out easily (I've replaced that already...) The stuff under the dash is no biggie either. Is it to get to the directionals? thanks. toM3

1995 M3

Quote Originally Posted by lkstaack
    I successfully swapped out my 11-Button OBC for an 18-Button in my 98 M3, and it wasn’t that hard. All functions work, including the hidden ones. Anyone with moderate mechanical skills can complete this conversion; I give it a two-½ wrench out of five difficulty level. Much quicker and a little easier than installing VDO gauges. I’m an idiot, so it couldn’t have been that tough. Special recognition should be given to BiMmEr JoN who made the original OBC Conversion post on this board (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...%2A+conversion) and whose collaboration made my retrofit possible.

I wanted a full OBC when I was shopping for an M3. When I finally found a used one that wasn’t thrashed, I was very disappointed that it only had the enhanced clock OBC. What can I say? I love gadgets. When I started researching the possibility of converting a full OBC into my Bimmer, everything I read said either: “a swap is not possible, buy a car with it installed”, or, “you can retrofit an 18-Button OBC, but it will require you to tear your interior apart, install sensors, and run long runs of wire…it is not worth the hassle”. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! This is how I did it.

First, I have to note a few disclaimers:

1. This procedure worked on my 98 M3. There is no guarantee that it will work on your BMW. The Bentley manual notes two E36 OBC diagrams: 1992-1997 (non-318ti) and 1998 (non-318ti). The 1992-1997 diagram is slightly different. Also, the ZKE IV wasn’t available until 1994. However, you should be able to modify these instructions to make it work on your car.

2. In the interest of brevity, I am assuming that you know, or will be able to get instructions to remove: 1)OBC, 2)Airbag and Steering Wheel (you can really hurt yourself if you don’t follow safety procedures http://212.53.90.108/cardiy/openproc...99391394050017), 3) Instrument Cluster, and 4)Glove Box. I am also assuming that you will be able to figure out some sub-procedures that I will not mention, but should be obvious.

As BiMmEr JoN noted in his post, you will need a working 18-Button OBC and the white X1071 connector that the 11-Button OBC doesn’t have. Also get an OBC controller turn signal stalk if you want to control the OBC with it. I ordered my OBC and connectors from an import salvage yard over the phone. I strongly recommend that you use a Bentley Manual. Even though some of the electrical diagrams are not perfect, it will pay for itself many times over in time saved.

You must be familiar with the naming conventions of the connectors used in this retrofit. The new OBC uses two connectors. The black connector is called X1070. That is the connector that the old 11-Button OBC used. The white connector is called X1071. That is the new connector that you should have got with your new OBC. The Instrument Cluster has two connectors. The white connector is called X16 and the blue connector is called X17.

These are the steps for retrofitting the OBC. It does not necessarily have to be in this order. Refer to the attached diagram labeled “18-Button OBC Retrofit Wiring Diagram”.

1. Remove old OBC, Steering Wheel, Instrument Cluster, and dashboard.

2. Remove the two connectors from the back of the Instrument Cluster.

3. Tap a fresh wire into the white/gray (WHT/GRY) wire on Pin 10 of connector X17 and run it to the white/gray wire coming out of Pin 9 of X1071.

4. Tap a fresh wire into the white/violet (WHT/VIO) wire on X16 and run it to the white/violet wire coming out of Pin 5 of X1071. Tap a fresh wire into the white/yellow (WHT/YEL) wire on X16 and run it to the white/yellow wire coming out of Pin 7 of X1071.

5. Remove the X16 connector cover to reveal the metal pins of the connector. You must figure out a way to install a new pin into the vacant Pin 21 slot. I went to the local BMW dealership and browsed their connector bins until I found a male pin connector that I could modify to work. I soldiered a fresh wire onto the pin and set the pin into the vacant Pin 21 slot in the X16 connector. I then ran this new wire to the white/black wire coming out of Pin 6 of X1071.

6. Find the ZKE IV Control Module behind the glove box. The Bentley manual will help you find it. Fabricate a pin to fit into the vacant Pin 15 of this connector. I fabricated this pin from a blue Butt Connector. Run a fresh wire from Pin 15 of the ZKE IV to the black/green (BLK/GRN) wire coming out of Pin 1 of X1071.

7. Install the turn signal stalk. Tap into the brown/red wire of the new turn signal stalk and run it to the brown/red wire of Pin 4 of X1071.

8. Tap into the brown (BRN) wire coming from Pin 17 of connector X1070 and run it to the brown wire of Pin 13 of X1071.

9. Tap into the red/yellow (RED/YEL) wire of Pin 18 of X1070 and run it to the red/yellow wire of Pin 8 of X1071.

10. Put everything back together. Connect the two connectors into your new OBC. Keep your fingers crossed, everything should work.

What do all the new wires do? I’m not certain, but based upon my review of the Bentley diagrams, my guesses are indicted below. Perhaps it may help trouble-shoot a retrofit that isn’t cooperating. But like I said, I'm an idiot, so trust your judgement and a good wiring diagram.

·White/Gray wire: connects OBC to speedometer sensor
    ·White/Violet and White/Yellow wires: connects OBC to data link system. This system integrates most of the electronic boxes such as ABS, Cruise Control, EWS, ZKE, DME, OBC, etc.
    ·White/black wire: connects OBC to gas gauge
    ·Black/Green: connects OBC to AWS anti-theft device
    ·Brown/Red: grounds OBC for turn signal stalk activated menu display
    ·Brown: Ground
    ·Red/Yellow: Power

Good luck! And don't listen to people who say it can't be done. They don't know what they're talking about.

My Cars
    M3/28is
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead but -

I have a 18-button OBC I want to test without wiring it up in my 11-button OBC car. Looking at the diagram, if I ground the brown wire and power the red/yellow with a 12V source on the white connector (while just plugging the black connector from the existing harness) the OBC should power on right?

My Cars
    03 Jeep, 05 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayMan
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead but -

I have a 18-button OBC I want to test without wiring it up in my 11-button OBC car. Looking at the diagram, if I ground the brown wire and power the red/yellow with a 12V source on the white connector (while just plugging the black connector from the existing harness) the OBC should power on right?
    Yes it will, but you will just have the same functions as the 11-button.

My Cars
    2004 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy328i
    Yes it will, but you will just have the same functions as the 11-button.
    Exactly

Edit: 500th Post!

2004 330ci - TiAg - Current | 1998 328i - Alpine White! - Sold

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast