Thread: CL Find: Dakar Yellow M Coupe repainted Arctic Silver?

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse

CL Find: Dakar Yellow M Coupe repainted Arctic Silver?

I get that DY might not be everyone's cup of tea, but why would you do this?! There were only 51 Dakar M Coupes made.

Link: http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1619067036.html
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    1999 BMW MCoupe
    maybe it's just a random picture he found of an engine bay. the hood is not even on.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by abashoe View Post
    maybe it's just a random picture he found of an engine bay. the hood is not even on.
    The hood *is* on. You can see it is silver.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    i wonder what hte door jambs look like .

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, '05 Legacy GT, Rotax kart!
    I'm guessing it needed it be repainted (accident, neglect, etc.) so the owner went with what he thought was a neutral color to make it easier to sell. Poor thing looks like hell now.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by exartist View Post
    I'm guessing it needed it be repainted (accident, neglect, etc.) so the owner went with what he thought was a neutral color to make it easier to sell. Poor thing looks like hell now.
    I emailed the seller asking for a VIN. I think he is a dealer posing as an individual as I found a number of ads for other cars using his phone number. This is what he said: "Car has been painted on right side, car fax shows accident, all parts are original with vin tags intact. minor cosmetic--will have to get vin for you when I get home--send email back if still interested. car was fixed nicely-and will not dissapoint you"

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3Couper View Post
    -and will not dissapoint you"
    Well, that is just a lie.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    I asked the seller why the engine bay is yellow when the car is silver. Here's his reply: "Car is treated with rust inhibitor". Right. Does it have fresh blinker fluid too?

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    So? What's the problem with repainting a car if it was done properly?

Although I see NO reason to paint it a color that the car was originally offered in.

If you're going to repaint it do something original.

Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post

Although I see NO reason to paint it a color that the car was originally offered in.

If you're going to repaint it do something original.

And do it right. Paint the whole car. Contrasting engine bays should only be done along with other custom work.

Someone near Albany should go test drive it. Then tell him how disappointed you are.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    It's stupid to do if it is not done right...like you see in this thread. Even if it is repainted a different color, but done well, it reduces the pool of potential buyers, and the market value of the car.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Repainting a car that was a relatively rare color to a common one seems a horrible waste.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Here's the VIN he sent me: WBSCM9340YLC61722
    It *was* always Silver. Strange. I don't know what kind of "rust inhibitor" would have been used in the engine bay, or why.

My Cars
    02 m 367 & 99 m 368
    Couper, I think you need an intervention for coupe addiction, you found your LSB but you can't stop cruising the classifieds.

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    Here's the VIN he sent me: WBSCM9340YLC61722
    It *was* always Silver. Strange. I don't know what kind of "rust inhibitor" would have been used in the engine bay, or why.

That's weird. Someone at some point must have painted it Dakar.

Or maybe it's like my old Prelude was, 2-3 cars welded together. yeah...
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by GB5416 View Post
    Couper, I think you need an intervention for coupe addiction, you found your LSB but you can't stop cruising the classifieds.
    Haha. I like knowing what's out there, and what they are going for. Plus, you see all kinds of strange stuff, like this thread. I've had several people express appreciation for posting deals on Coupes. It takes barely anytime, so why stop?

Plus, who knows what Z3/Coupe related deals I might find for myself?!

My Cars
    02 m 367 & 99 m 368
    Haha. I like knowing what's out there, and what they are going for. Plus, you see all kinds of strange stuff, like this thread. I've had several people express appreciation for posting deals on Coupes. It takes barely anytime, so why stop?

Plus, who knows what Z3/Coupe related deals I might find for myself?!
    I'm just kidding of course. I appreciate people posting deals on coupes.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by GB5416 View Post
    I'm just kidding of course. I appreciate people posting deals on coupes.
    I figured...

mherington is offline Passing Gas... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    Something smells rotten about this one... I'm guessing she's a frankensteins monster like Codeman suggested. It really looks like she took a hit and just got a Dakar yellow front clip grafted on. "Car has been painted, car fax shows accident, VINs match" blah blah. Notice the paint color label is missing from the drivers strut tower, and the CFC and production labels are missing from the front radiator support. It may in fact have the VIN matching hood, front fenders and rocker panels. The rest don't have VINs on them to match to begin with (correct?).

Not that there's anything wrong with a properly executed repair. The problem is in the misrepresentation.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by mherington View Post
    Something smells rotten about this one... I'm guessing she's a frankensteins monster like Codeman suggested. It really looks like she took a hit and just got a Dakar yellow front clip grafted on. "Car has been painted, car fax shows accident, VINs match" blah blah. Notice the paint color label is missing from the drivers strut tower, and the CFC and production labels are missing from the front radiator support. It may in fact have the VIN matching hood, front fenders and rocker panels. The rest don't have VINs on them to match to begin with (correct?).

Not that there's anything wrong with a properly executed repair. The problem is in the misrepresentation.
    If you look at the engine bay pic, it does look like silver paint at the back edge of the hood under the gasket, and at the front of the shock towers going towards the bumper.

As far as I know, all panels have VINs. If you look between the top of the bumper, and the bottom of the quarter panel, you can see it on the bottom edge of the panel.

My Cars
    00' AW MC
    I also appreciate your periodic "deals" of the week. Especially the types like this beauty.

Keep em coming!

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    But if a front clip was grafted on, why wouldn't they have painted it? To weld on the clip, I would think the engine and everything else would be out - perfect opportunity for painting, and the cost of painting would have been less than the loss in value if not painted.