Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Fitting Smaller Raid Airbag Steering Wheel to 2 stage airbag system

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster

Guide to Fitting Smaller Raid Airbag Steering Wheel to 2 stage airbag system

Some pics......
    Side by Side

Before

After

This has been a long term project of mine to research, source and fit (ever since I got my first ///M) as I have always perceived the stock ///M wheel to be both too large a circumference and too thin.

To say I'm pleased with the result is an understatement.

The wheel feels perfect and adds a more responsive "directness" to the cars steering and percieved handling. You really do feel as though you can throw the car around the bends with more control.

Sorry guys I've had problems trying to post the install guide directly on here, probably because it is so long and has so many pics contained in it?

Here is a link to the ZRoadster site were the full write up is posted clicky link

Can't recommend this enough

Edit: better pics

Last edited by Jonttt; 06-19-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Updated Pics

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 95 M3, 20 X2
    The Raid wheel looks great! I was just telling CaliAgents yesterday.... best mod I have done to date too!

http://www.mcoupe.com/profiles/blogs...7:BlogPost:157

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    Brad, thats a great solution.

Obviously fitting to an S54 you fitted a 2 stage airbag to a 2 stage system. Was it simply just "plug and play" once you have the slip ring sorted or did you have to make an adaptor harness to connect both blocks together ie steering wheel airbag stages and horn ?

If its OK with you I would like to post a link to your solution to my original post on ZRoadster, that way people can see 2 different solutions to the same problem.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 95 M3, 20 X2
    It was plug and play. Harnesses matched, resistance values matched... it was a match made in heaven! (No problem posting the link... I don't mind at all)

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Impressive undertaking and write up Jonttt! Thanks for sharing
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Are there any U.S. sources to buy the Raid steering wheel, (dont like the z4 wheel) how variable are the prices??

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by fire2 View Post
    Are there any U.S. sources to buy the Raid steering wheel, (dont like the z4 wheel) how variable are the prices??

I would also like to know.

The Raid wheel looks great!
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    I would also like to know.

The Raid wheel looks great!

Yeah, doesnt anybody have purchace info or links for the Raids wheel-------Great write ups for the install but lacking part numbers and good sources to buy.

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    I don't know about the USA at all.

In europe the support from "agents" for BMW fitting is very week hence why I ended up sourcing a "porsche" wheel.

The part number are also confusing ie the agents tend to use thier own codes and Raid do not seem to use codes, they just refer to them by name.

I think the agents confuse the situation becuase they charge such a mark up and they do not want Porsche owners realising that they can go direct to Raid.

I ended up just getting to "know" the various models of wheel they do. I have seen both the "Daytona" and cheaper "Freeway" (does not have perforated leather) models fitted to Z3's. So long as you go for the basic models ie without all the flappy paddles etc... it should fit. You can get them with carbon rims, silver etc.... but they cost quite a bit more.

You can see them all HERE

The best prices for the actual wheel and hub kit I found new was actually on the German eBay site.

The main issue is the euro rate currently which has added approx 20% to the cost. Having said that they are no more expensive than sourcing a new wheel off BMW.

You may have USA agents who can supply but you best bet would probably be a "friendly" Porsche retailer who already imports the wheels and can just source the Z3 hubs extra. But even discounted you are using Porsche rates so my guess it would be cheaper to deal direct with German retailers who will ship?

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonttt View Post
    I don't know about the USA at all.

In Europe the support from "agents" for BMW fitting is very week hence why I ended up sourcing a "Porsche" wheel.

The part number are also confusing ie the agents tend to use their own codes and Raid do not seem to use codes, they just refer to them by name.

I think the agents confuse the situation because they charge such a mark up and they do not want Porsche owners realizing that they can go direct to Raid.

I ended up just getting to "know" the various models of wheel they do. I have seen both the "Daytona" and cheaper "Freeway" (does not have perforated leather) models fitted to Z3's. So long as you go for the basic models ie without all the flappy paddles etc... it should fit. You can get them with carbon rims, silver etc.... but they cost quite a bit more.

You can see them all HERE

The best prices for the actual wheel and hub kit I found new was actually on the German eBay site.

The main issue is the euro rate currently which has added approx 20% to the cost. Having said that they are no more expensive than sourcing a new wheel off BMW.

You may have USA agents who can supply but you best bet would probably be a "friendly" Porsche retailer who already imports the wheels and can just source the Z3 hubs extra. But even discounted you are using Porsche rates so my guess it would be cheaper to deal direct with German retailers who will ship?

Had to talk my wife into this one---she found my 1 1/2 years stack of receipts a couple months ago so I had to go in the naughty corner and was on restriction, now restriction is lifted, but it was still a hard sell!!!---LOL

Jonttt, do you have a link for Chrome Design and for the German ebay site?------I found one German company that will sell the wheel and adapter with shipping for $1050--is that too much? I'm waiting to hear back from Raid with a total price and I couldn't complete an order online with them until I call them, -something about shipping to the U.S.

Thanks so much for all your research, good write ups and info.

Here are the part #s I get from Raid and the other German company, they match up,

Raid Air Bag Steering wheel--Daytona - black/silver horn buttons, 240mm--# 70139
    Raid Adapter for Z3--#160120
    Last edited by fire2; 02-11-2010 at 12:41 PM.

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    Here is the box label for the hub adaptor I got

so 160120 is the Hub and single stage adaptor I got.

If you have a single stage (pre 04/99) Z3 thats all you need.

If you have a 2 stage (post 04/99) Z3 you can either order one of these from Raid (2 stage wiring adaptor 1220-1) which does not come as part of the above kit:

or you can simply do as I did and get a 3ohm resistor and solder some spade connectors. ie you only really need the 1220-1 adaptor if you want a "plug and play" connection but I believe they are quite expensive.

Re the German ebay just go onto the main page and search for "Raid Z3" and you get loads.

Make sure you go for a 340mm Daytona or Freeway with the 160120 kit.

Examples:

Freeway

Wooden Freeway

Alacantra Daytona with Flat Bottom

Daytona (same as mine)

The Chrome Design website is here Chrome Design

I can't point to the steering wheel page so you will have to navigate through the menus.

To be honest the eBay sellers look better prices but I don't know them and Chrome Design are approved agents. Also shiping would be a big factor so you should compare cost including shipping. I found emailing German eBayers hit and miss, some have really good english and get striaght back to you, others you never hear back from. chrome Design have OK english but can take a few days to respond (I get impresison one of them has good english so depends if he's around).

I think its just a matter of shopping around to get best prices.

It is worth noting that non seem to keep stock of either the wheel or hub adaptor so no matter were you order from it all basically comes direct from Raid ;-)

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    OK, I pulled the trigger on this from Chrome Design it was a fair deal compared to one other German site named Octime-X Car Parts. Price from Chrome Design for the Wheel and Adapter and shipping was $915,(if I figured my euro conversion right). I think this was worth not waiting a year for a better deal on a German ebay site. One thing about Chrome was just before sending order you have to agree to their business terms and purchase terms----it was all in German, don't know what I agreed to,-lol. but I agreed!!

Trying to deal with Raid directly by phone or web site was tough and their prices were no better than Chrome Design so I went with Chrome.---Octime-X was $150. more including shipping, here is their link http://www.octimex.com/product_info....ucts_id=121053 that price was after a 12% discount that they emailed me with.

My wifes only words were " Aaaaaa steeeeering wheeeel---$915!!??" as she turned around and walked away....LoL

Jonttt---Thanks much for info and research
    Last edited by fire2; 02-11-2010 at 01:44 PM.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    My wifes only words were " Aaaaaa steeeeering wheeeel---$915!!??" as she turned around and walked away....LoL
    I can appreciate that.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    I just wish I could find a BMW or M specific ovoid badge to replace the RAID one on mine. I could probably have one made though.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    Z3 2.8
    Thanks for that guide! That will for sure help me when it gets warmer and its time to try to get the freeway I have here into my car.

My car is a '98 (but with side airbags!) so it should be somewhat easier as well then.

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
    I just wish I could find a BMW or M specific ovoid badge to replace the RAID one on mine. I could probably have one made though.
    I just removed the Raid Badge (its stuck on with VERY sticky stuff but it does rub off...eventually) and stuck on a small ///M wheel badge ;-)

Note I've had lots of feedback on the Schnitzer Badge, mainly from a safety point of view if the airbag goes off (BMW ones are designed to flip down but some are designed to split in the middle and no one is sure how the Raid Airbag "opens"). So I started a poll in the UK and it was 3:1 to remove it, so I guess the sensible think is to remove it.

I like the ///M badge though, I figure its not an ///M wheel but it is in an ///M car

.......for the Wheel and Adapter and shipping was $915.....
    Thats a great price shipped to the USA, believe me you would have struggled to get a second hand one for that

Mine probably cost $775 including postage etc.... and I was very lucky to get a mint 6 month old one.

You'll love it, I was so tempted to get mine out of storage again today just to get my hands on the wheel again, but <0c so I'll have to wait until Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by hagenisse View Post
    Thanks for that guide! That will for sure help me when it gets warmer and its time to try to get the freeway I have here into my car.

My car is a '98 (but with side airbags!) so it should be somewhat easier as well then.
    You've only got 4 wires to connect but if the airbag goes off when you press the horn you know you've done it wrong
    Last edited by Jonttt; 02-11-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    I just removed the Raid Badge (its stuck on with VERY sticky stuff but it does rub off...eventually) and stuck on a small ///M wheel badge ;-)

Note I've had lots of feedback on the Schnitzer Badge, mainly from a safety point of view if the airbag goes off (BMW ones are designed to flip down but some are designed to split in the middle and no one is sure how the Raid Airbag "opens"). So I started a poll in the UK and it was 3:1 to remove it, so I guess the sensible think is to remove it.

I like the ///M badge though, I figure its not an ///M wheel but it is in an ///M car

Hmm, it's better than nothing. I already got the RAID one off. Now I need the steering wheel M badge lol.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    '03 M3
    FYI TM Tuning sells them for VW/Audi. They may be able to get the BMW adapter as well.

Sorry for being late on this one Fire2, but i doubt that your wife's response would be different with these prices.
    Last edited by M Pete; 02-11-2010 at 05:44 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Here is the box label for the hub adapter I got

so 160120 is the Hub and single stage adapter I got.

If you have a single stage (pre 04/99) Z3 thats all you need.

If you have a 2 stage (post 04/99) Z3 you can either order one of these from Raid (2 stage wiring adapter 1220-1) which does not come as part of the above kit:

or you can simply do as I did and get a 3ohm resistor and solder some spade connectors. ie you only really need the 1220-1 adapter if you want a "plug and play" connection but I believe they are quite expensive.

Re the German ebay just go onto the main page and search for "Raid Z3" and you get loads.

Make sure you go for a 340mm Daytona or Freeway with the 160120 kit.
    )

Jonttt, how much was that wiring adapter---I searched the Raid site and cant find it anywhere-------------also I noticed on the wheel adapter box its showing two similar numbers 160120 and 170120??

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    The hib adaptor with single stage wiring adpator was about 70euro including shipping to the UK.

Not sure what the other number means ?

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    The hib adapter with single stage wiring adapter was about 70euro including shipping to the UK.

Not sure what the other number means ?

I have the late model Z-- I meant the 2 stage wire adapter 1220-1 that you mentioned earlier.

Finally got an email back from Raid--- they do not ship to USA.

On the below Chrome Design link they show the Daytona which they call the Sport Wheel with their part #RD03803L (thats what I ordered) but in the second picture showing the wheel intstalled in the car--it is a different wheel with no aluminum horn buttons and a few other differences. It looks like maybe its an old model, kind of looks like a cross between the Daytona and Freeway. Makes me a little nervous---hope they send the right one.
    http://shop.chromdesign.de/product_i...-340-mm-t.html

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    1220-1, I did not end up waiting for a price for this as was happy to make my own once I figured the wiring out.

A fellow forum member on Z3Coupe said they were expensive and also made his own but he did not state a price.

If you follow my tutorial you don't need it unless you are adverse to cutting the cars wiring harness ?

You would have to email Raid (chrome design know nothing of it) and ask them price shipped but as you say looks like they don't ship to USA so you may not even have the option ;-)

The wheel shown fitted ie without silver horn buttons or perforated leather is the Freeway.

Don't worry, if you've ordered the Daytona it will be the same as mine

Not very good but vid of mine in action to wet your appetite

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_7m8GdkJvU[/ame]
    Last edited by Jonttt; 02-12-2010 at 12:30 PM.

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BradK View Post
    The Raid wheel looks great! I was just telling CaliAgents yesterday.... best mod I have done to date too!

http://www.mcoupe.com/profiles/blogs...7:BlogPost:157

Thanks to this thread and writeup I just impulse-bought a new MZ4 steering wheel (no airbag yet). bfc strikes again.

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    You won't regret it, my brother has just sold his Z4m roadster and the wheel was much better than the Z3m

I hope your good with machining a slipring mount though

My Cars
    '03 M3
    So what are the different diameters from ours (370) vs the MZ4 and E46 M3?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast