Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Loss of a Friend

My Cars
    driveway.jpg

The Loss of a Friend

Well, I don't want to be "that" guy... the one who is too attached to a car for his own good. The one who actually cares about his car, and in a sense more than "I don't want to curb a wheel", or "don't nick my paint".... but honestly, I am that guy.

We all have cars that we consider "our baby"... and for me, that has always been my e36. I bought the e28 as a replacement for a daily driver.

I didn't know getting in to it that this e28 was going to become such a part of who I am. I changed the way I look at cars. It changed the way that people look at me. To many it was just another car on the bandwagon... and that's cool with me... but I never expected my car to become a conversation piece.... something to be argued over for pages and pages, month after month across the web. A magazine feature? Two? I had ever in my wildest dreams thought it would happen... after all, it was just a car.

Most of you know that about a year ago, I lent the car to a friend.... Back then, it was a solidly clean car, with no real flaws... until it was abruptly stopped by a semi truck, resulting in not only the A-pillar damage that you still see today, but a crushed front end that I put back together using a parts car I had at the time.

That accident was the rebirth of my car. I marked a moment in time where it went from an asset to a canvas. I had no excuse not to go "all the way" with it... and so I did. Okay, yeah, cool, I rusted a car. A lot of other people have too, and we all know that.

Rusty was more than just a hipstermobile to me though. Rusty honestly led me to some of the greatest friendships I have today... scratch that.. ALL of the friendships I maintain today have some rooting involved with this stupid car. It's done more than drive me coast-to-coast, it has never let me down during any of it. This car is a champ- and I beat the hell out of it too.

Honestly, if it wasn't for Rusty, StanceWorks wouldn't be here. It simply wouldn't exist.

I'm going on and on about stuff and haven't really given any info yet, so I'll explain it the best I can.

Ever since the accident a year ago, the front driver's side tire has worn a bit differently than the others. The clearance to the fender was a little different than before, but nothing to alarm me. After all, this car was deemed "totaled".

It wasn't until last week that I took the car to a friend's shop, and while there, and inspecting the car for the first time, we realized that the frame up there is tweaked. Hard.

I brushed it off as if it were nothing. Honestly, I didn't care in the least...
    but after close inspection, the body has been cracking a bit, and its starting to separate.

I wanted to ignore it.
    I really, really wanted to ignore it.
    Bad.

I said to myself "it's been fine all along, It'l be fine. I'll drive it until it falls apart".

A few days ago, my best friend slipped through my hands, so to speak. Gracefully sliding my way over a speed bump, shit went to hell.

I don't really know what else to say right now. I towed her home one last time. The motor comes out tomorrow- it's going to Nic and Steph for the Bavaria build. Webb is taking the suspension for his car. The wheels will go into storage until another day, down the road when I feel like a car is worthy of following up Rusty's footsteps.

I'm depressed over this. Best car I've ever owned. Hand down.
    There's a constant joke going on among friends that I owe this car for everything its done for me... and its true.

I made a video today. It's lame, but I wanted to do one last "shoot".

So here it is- Rusty, this one's for you.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/9245342[/ame]
    Last edited by SpasticDwarf; 02-06-2010 at 01:35 AM.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Coupe
    First! Congrats Mike on all your accomplishments with Rusty. She was somethin else! Surely an inspiration to many and will be for many years to come. RIP

My Cars
    2000 4runner
    WHAT

NO

WTF

dude...I'm sorry. Keep the body panels. I know you'll do something cool with them to keep her with you in spirit

Toast to rusty

My Cars
    1993 325is
    RIP Rusty, I lost my first e36 and had it for three days and then lost it. Your car truly is a work of art man. Had his good long run i can tell you feel how i do about my cars. Amazing video too.

llegos is offline Internet Superhero BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2004 330i ZHP
    NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't know what to say...

My Cars
    1997 Calypso hotness-sold-1997 328 Schwarz hotness
    The end of an epic era

Mod list - Turner Motorsports/Conforti CAI, M50 manifold with Eurosport adapter kit, Shark Injector, Fan delete mod, Active Autowerkes Gen III stainless catback exhaust, UUC underdrive pulleys, UUC EVOIII short shifter, lighted M3 shift knob,
    UUC pedals , BMP Racing strut tower brace, Performance clutch, 3.23 lsd, Redline fluids throughout, Bilstein suspension, Hyperblack CSL reps, M3 mirrors, M3 Steering wheel, M3 moldings LTW door sills, M3 rear diffuser, M5 style rear trunk lip, Black out grills, Bosch headlights, 3000k hid fogs, Black out roundels,

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    I can't say I liked where the car went, but that doesn't really matter.

It's certainly nice to see the appreciation and love you have for the car, that much I can certainly appreciate and relate to.

Sad to see something that meant so much come to an end.

My Cars
    98' TiAg M3
    really sorry to hear it mike, what a cool car.
    Ryan

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Thats really good to hear about everything is has done for you! seems like way more than a car to you, and thats just how it happens to all of us.

We all have kids that need an oil change, and full offensive inspections from people we some times don't trust, but they are still are kids and we love them for one reason or another.

...with that said, i am happy to know i do not have to see that car anymore, ever again. I liked the uniqueness of everything you did, but everything you did brought up the hideous-ness of it, and of course it is ONLY my OPINION to say such.

But again, i love that you fell in live with her, and i'm sorry for your loss of a loved one, but i think it might have been a blessing to BF.C.

No hatred whatsoever, except hated clicking on a thread and seeing that thing. Glad so many others and especially yourself, enjoyed!

Like the black beast in your sig tho!!

Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    I can't say I liked where the car went, but that doesn't really matter.

It's certainly nice to see the appreciation and love you have for the car, that much I can certainly appreciate and relate to.

Sad to see something that meant so much come to an end.
    +1. Agree 100%. Very sad to see you lose your lady/friend!
    Last edited by Captain; 02-06-2010 at 01:07 AM.

My Cars
    95 BG 325, Monte SS
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha7X1erPbeM[/ame]

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    Wouldn't be surprised if some here were celebrating knowing what's happened in the past over the direction of Rusty on BF.C...

Shame. Rusty was probably THE definitive E28 for me other than a stock E28 M5. Sad to see it go.

My Cars
    06 Acura TL
    Dude I'm so sorry..

Rusty has more personality than most people at my job..
    He belongs at Pratt Institute's industrial design center to inspire and serve as a canvas for future engineers and designers.

My Cars
    E60 530i 6MT, B6 S4 V8
    wow...I can't believe what I am reading right now. I feel your pain Mike, if it wasnt for Rusty, I probably would have never found out about Stanceworks. Good luck with whatever comes next.

My Cars
    1989 635csi

one of my favorite bimmers, possibly ever, gone?

sorry for the loss dude

r.i.p rusty.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    is definitely an iconic car... sad to see it go. I liked it best in it's last stage as well. The oiled look was just rad.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    2002 Imola Red E46 M3
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss man!

I have an appreciation for the car because of all the passion that went into it.

329097_10151144875184101_1020786818_o by boomersooner523, on Flickr
    Past:
    1995 Hellrot E36 M3: JBR LTW flywheel, TRM chip, Dinan exhaust and CAI
    1999 Cosmos E36 M3 Engine: TRM Tune, M50 manifold, B&B Exhaust, BW ASC delete, AFe CAI and LOTS of other stuff
    New: 2002 E46 M3, Imola, 6spd, KW V2, Stoptech BBK, Agency Power exhaust, Mason Engineering Strut bar

My Cars
    n55 135i
    Nice video, sad to see it go. one of the sickest cars around here

My Cars
    540i6 / M20 / Burb 2500
    Sorry to hear man, it's like a part of you is missing. Definitely keep the panels, put them up in your room, or bolt them to a couch...

Cut the car in half, and make the back seat a couch ( weld some legs to support it ) and keep the rear wheels on. Make the trunk a fridge for beer. Seriously. I just thought of that.

Dan
    2001 540i 6-Speed / 1989 325i M20 / 1994 Suburban 2500

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
    LoveClub Member #23

My Cars
    '95 M3, '85 535i
    Although I wasn't the biggest fan... it's still sad to see it gone

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBobOh View Post
    Sorry to hear man, it's like a part of you is missing. Definitely keep the panels, put them up in your room, or bolt them to a couch...

Cut the car in half, and make the back seat a couch ( weld some legs to support it ) and keep the rear wheels on. Make the trunk a fridge for beer. Seriously. I just thought of that.

Dan
    or maybe a trailer? to the next E28?
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    E90, E34 (retired)
    sorry to hear! your e28 wasn't always my cup of tea, but i can certainly respect all the work and passion you put into it. the wheels and how low it was were def always good tho

looking forward to seeing your next project!

My Cars
    98' TiAg M3
    dude just gut the interior completely and hang the shell in your garage from the ceiling with mounted wings and propeller
    Ryan

My Cars
    '95 Boston M3, '06 F250
    Iconic is exactly the word. It doesn't matter if people loved it or hated it, EVERYONE recognized it. Although this icon in the Bimmer and StanceWorks world has been put to rest, I'm sure you will come out with something even sicker and more iconic.

Just think, this was the first time you tried doing something completely different. I can't wait to see what you come out with next!!

The goal of personalizing a car is not for other peoples enjoyment, but rather purely that of the man behind the wheel.

My Cars
    01 dinan 7 sport, 83 733
    sorry to hear that but really, look at the big picture. its not that difficult to get another trashed e28 and do the same thing. i think it was about time to put that car down and start a new project. i wouldnt put that much thought into a hunk of metal to say that it brought you friendships that you have now. you made that happen, regardless of what vehicle you drove. it was your personality and interests that other people shared and said, hey hes pretty chill. we should hang out.....

My Cars
    84 318i
    sucks bro, i really liked that car! sad to see it go
    btw do you still have your e24?
    84 318i drift car
    04 mk4 gti 1.8t
    96 e320
    63 plymouth valiant

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast