Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding aftermarket steering wheel w/o airbag light

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport

Adding aftermarket steering wheel w/o airbag light

I couldn't figure out how to add a picture to my original post (Jan '02), so this is an updated repost.

Did you ever want to install an aftermarket steering wheel without disabling the SRS system and/or having the airbag light stay on constantly?

There is a way and, as they say, it ain't rocket science. After removing the airbag, steering wheel and contact ring, I installed a 3.3 ohm resistor across the terminals that connect to the contact ring. I fabricated a connector out of an old audio component connector that had the correct spacing and pin size. No wires cut and easy to go back to stock.

Below is a picture of the type connector I used. You need one with the correct pin size and pin spacing. Then it can be cut down to 2 pins. These type connectors are used in many types of electronic equipment. TVs, car stereos, home audio equipment and computers.

CAUTION: You must disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes before disconnecting the airbag. If you have a factory radio, you'd better know the code.

With this modification, the passenger side airbag and the rest of the SRS should still function correctly.

DISCLAIMER: You are at your own risk. I am only reporting what I've done in my own car. Since there is no driver's side airbag, I have no way of knowing what might happen in an accident where the system tries to deploy the airbags.

I must thank a friend, who is a BMW tech, for providing me with the resistance of the contact ring. He gave me a range of 1.5 to 6 ohms, to determine what value resistor to use.

I'm lovin' my Momo wheel. Happy New Year!

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Nice work Jay, the rest of the SRS should continue to work. I need to locate one of those connectors, 2 years of this SRS lamp on all the time is getting old.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I recently did this and the connector that I had coming out of my contact ring looking *nothing* like that one! It was a barrel shaped connector with two wires on it...
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    Past: E36 95 3.2 OBD1
    Correct DocWyte,
    I believe he says to cut that down, and just use two of the pins, not the whole thing.

There are guys who are afraid of the rev limiter and there are guys who use it to save a shift

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Right-eyo! Find the one with the correct pin size and spacing. Then cut it down to 2 pins.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Originally posted by badmonkey
    Nice work Jay, the rest of the SRS should continue to work. I need to locate one of those connectors, 2 years of this SRS lamp on all the time is getting old.
    Thanks, John-

Gettin' to the track at all lately? I'm headed up to PIR this afternoon. Gunna lap with the Alfa club tomorrow. Only $100.

May try for the UnlimitedLaps DE at T-hill 11/24. Not sure yet.

Jay

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    No track in months, all work no play, other obligations, car broken, etc.
    Maybe time for a turbo... or an E46 M3

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Ouch!

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    Past: E36 95 3.2 OBD1
    Just went to radio shack today and bought a "modular eia adapter kit" for 5 bucks. It had pins with wires attached to them and the pins fit perfectly into the plug. And since it has the wire already, all you have to do is solder the resistor onto it and your done.

There are guys who are afraid of the rev limiter and there are guys who use it to save a shift

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    I recently installed a ACS Type II steering wheel into my car, and tried the resistor trick with no luck. 1st I tried wiring in a 3.3Kohm resistor into the circuit but that didn't work. Then I took 3 10ohm resistors and twisted the ends together so they should give about 3.3 Ohms, but the damn light is still on. What gives? Anyone know why this won't work on my car?
    Oh, and for the plug, I just cut the opposite plug off of the slip ring and used that (figured that if i ever wanted to switch back I should be able to find a used slip ring).
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    It's my understanding that once the airbag light has come on, it must be reset. Even if the problem that caused the light to come on has been resolved. So, the reset can be done by the dealer or a Peak Research tool with SRS reset capabilities or ?????

The only way you can tell if the resistor works is to have the light reset and see if it stays off.

Jay

My Cars
    06 997S; 96 M3 (sold); 02 4Runner; 05 XC90 V8
    Actually it's a separate reset tool from the normal CE tool.
    Steven

96' Hellrot M3

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Aaah...that's what I figured. Hmm...guess i'll need to buy the Peake SRS tool then....
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Pretty sure I just saw one advertised that does both. But, I'm no expert.

Jay

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    I am considering replacing my ugly 4-spoke M3 wheel with a Momo. However, I want to ensure that my passenger side airbag still works. Can someone that has done this mode verify that I know what I'm doing?

The only thing that this mod entails is connecting a 3.3 ohm resister between the two wires that connects to the steering wheel airbag, right? Using a stereo or Radio Shack circut board is just a means to do that without cutting/stripping wire, right?

Yeah, I would rather use a wheel with integrated airbag, but the prices are just too high.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    email me, I have the tech procedure all written up...
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    It's pretty simple. The resistor makes the SRS system think there's an airbag in the circuit. As long as the system looks "right" during the sytem check process, the rest of the system will work in an accident.

No guarantees though. You play at your own risk.

Jay

My Cars
    LSBM3
    Just did mine and its perfect!!! Thanks LUNI2NZ

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Good for you. Glad to help.

Jay

My Cars
    '99 328is Msport
    so its 3.3 ohms and not 3.3kohms right? And if i do it right wil i still have to get it reset? Im currently waiting for my m-tech II to come in the mail so id like to get it figured out before i get started.
    Last edited by HapaJin; 09-12-2006 at 12:33 AM.

My Cars
    '99 328is Msport
    bump

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by HapaJin View Post
    so its 3.3 ohms and not 3.3kohms right? And if i do it right wil i still have to get it reset? Im currently waiting for my m-tech II to come in the mail so id like to get it figured out before i get started.
    3.3 ohms. If your airbag light is not on now and you disconnect the battery before you remove the steering wheel and install the simulator and you do it correctly, you should get no airbag light and will not have to have anything reset. If you get an airbag light for any reason, it will have to be reset. Even if you have a working simulator installed.

Jay

My Cars
    '95 M3 IP #595, '07 Z4MC
    I have a 2000 M roadster, and am connecting the Momo 2011 hub adapter. Does anyone have advice as to which wire set is for the SRS defeat? There are 6 wires: brown, brown/black, gray, gray/black, yellow, yellow/black on the hub harness. I believe the brown wires are for the horn. The Momo ohm harness has 2 wires. On the threads, everyone mentions 2 wires, but I have 4.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    I needed a new slip ring and then the Momo 2011 hub worked perfectly.
    ~*gigglez*~

My Cars
    '99 328is Msport
    any body have more pics? Im lost here still, like whats the contact ring? Which is the positive and which is the negative?
    Last edited by HapaJin; 10-27-2006 at 11:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast