Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 mile results: M3 with bolt-ons **videos**

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3

1/4 mile results: M3 with bolt-ons **videos**

Yesterday i went to famoso dragway for a private track rental that was being setup by some mercedes guys. the event has been postponed 3 times already because of weather (rain/fog), but finally we got the go-ahead from the track officials for yesterday.

my goal is to hit 12s at over 105mph with stock cams/headers as my car is setup now

The setup:
    i have never been to famoso, so i wasn't sure how sticky the track was...the track isn't exactly close by, so i wasn't going to take any chances. i bought 245/45/17 nitto 555r drag radials and thought these should definitely get the job done considering i had previously pulled a 1.900 60ft on hard sidewall rcomp tires which are not ideal for drag racing at all!

on the way up, i noticed rain drops hitting my windshield not too far from the track...this definitely bothered me. not just for the chance of rain, but because humidity = bad for drag racing. this was going to be my first 1/4 mile attempt at a track less than 1000ft above sea level -- famoso is 625ft above sea level...not great, but still better than the rest of the socal tracks i've been to. all that aside, i was still in good spirits about hitting my goal...

here's a list of the mods on my car:
    M50 Intake Manifold
    Conforti 3.5" CAI
    AA Software
    3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete
    Strömung Catback Exhaust
    UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel w/ Stg1 Clutch
    AA Track Pipe
    UUC EVO III SSK
    3.46 Diff

weight reduction (~2860lbs without driver)
    -removed front seats and installed a single fixed-back driver seat
    -removed rear seats
    -removed spare wheel/tire
    -lightweight battery
    -aftermarket exhaust (mid section and catback)
    -lightweight flywheel/clutch assembly
    -LTW5 D-Force wheels 17x9
    -1/4 tank of fuel

The runs:
    i'll cut to the chase and just talk about my best runs of the day. it didn't happen until later in the day -- around 3pm. i lined up with a bolt-on E92 DCT M3 whose owner i had been talking to throughout the day. he had been complaining of traction issues with his car. anyway, here's the video from that run:

timeslip (e92 M3 left, me right):

he ran 13.593@105.01mph with a 2.507 60ft and i pulled a 13.343@104.11mph with a 2.036 60ft. i got the jump with the better reaction time (0.5 seconds) and gained another 0.5 seconds with the better launch (albeit, nothing to write home about). he was definitely having some serious traction issues and i wasn't exactly having the best of luck with traction either. my 60ft was only 2.036 and i chirped 2nd AND 3rd gears. i had been getting these same results all day. i even shifted slower into 2nd to try to offset the loss of traction, but that didn't help much as you can see/hear.

anyway, my next run took place right after the one with the M3 (private track days are great - no lines!). here's the video from that (outside and inside car perspectives in this video):

timeslip:

i ran a 13.343@104.22mph with a 2.040 60ft. meh...

conditions:
    obviously i didn't hit my goal for the day and i was really unsatisfied with my results...then i found out what conditions i was working with at the track. one of the guys at the track had a Density Altitude meter to calculate the "perceived altitude" with current weather conditions in mind. here's how the DA breakdown went for the day.

quote from mbworld thread on the event (http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...ml#post3918491):
    Quote Originally Posted by MB_Forever View Post
    Since I (literally) colonized Alan's hand-held weather station all day (as well as a couple of others), let me give a break-down of the DA yesterday at Famoso:

10:00 am --> 700 to 750 ft with 60% humidity and 55 F temp
    11:00 am --> 800 to 850 ft with 50% humidity and 58 F temp
    12:00 pm --> 900 to 1050 ft with 45% humidity and 60 F temp
    01:00 pm --> 950 to 1050 ft with 40% humidity and 62 F temp
    02:00 pm --> 1050 to 1100 ft with 38% humidity and 64 F temp
    03:00 pm --> 900 to 950 ft with 36% humidity and 68 F temp
    04:00 pm --> 800 to 850 ft with 40% humidity and 64 F temp
    05:00 pm --> 750 to 800 ft with 45% humidity and 58 F temp

As you can see, at Famoso, temps and DA drop very rapidly after 4:00 pm. That's why I usually like night sessions more than morning sessions
    as you can see, the DA was ranging between 700-1100 ft above sea level all day and my best runs took place during the 900-950ft time. definitely not the conditions i was hoping for at this event!!!

conclusion:
    --those DRs i used are crap, or i just never found the sweet spot for them. 2.0 60ft times are horrible with DRs and chirping 2nd and 3rd gear is just not appropriate!
    --i am cursed with bad weather whenever i go to the track.
    --even with the bad weather that day, if i had enough traction to pull a 1.8 60ft i would most likely be in the 12s.
    --i beat a modded e92 M3

here's a of couple pictures of my car at the track:

i wish the day worked out better than it did and i was given the opportunity to hit my goal, but it was fun either way. for now 12s will have to wait until next time which may not be until the end of the year (cooler weather). on the bright side, i managed to run faster in the 1/4 mile than any of my previous attempts at other (read: crappier) tracks and i have hopefully put another nail in the coffin of all the naysayers
    Last edited by jworms; 01-03-2022 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Updated links
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    Dyno: 242rwhp/232rwtq
    SOLD

My Cars
    '00 Z3M, '06 Z4M
    LOL, are you guys required to wear helmets at drag strips? Around here, I've only seen people with sub 10sec cars wear them.
    Check out my M Roadster projects and DIYs:
    Cooling system part 1: https://youtu.be/ERqztIL1DPw
    Cooling system part 2: https://youtu.be/-DnclDkn2hI
    Power convertible top: https://youtu.be/KLYNqkCBh_M
    Head unit removal: https://youtu.be/LKe9fPKrAqE

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Andryuha View Post
    LOL, are you guys required to wear helmets at drag strips? Around here, I've only seen people with sub 10sec cars wear them.
    http://www.nhraonline.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

it's required on all vehicles running 13.99 or quicker
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    SOLD

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Very nice Jonathan!

I wonder if you overheated the DR's? I know they are DR's, but are they meant to be burned out before a run? Or just a quick blip to spin and clean? I know burnouts just overheat street tires...shouldn't overheat a real drag slick obviously, but I know nothing about these Nitto's....

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    e36 m3, 71 2002
    nice runs man

My Cars
    N/A
    you've lost that much weight with only the things you posted? I didn't realize it was that easy!

That's awesome man!

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    good stuff .. figured you would of been deep in the 12's considering everything, especially with DR's..
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    328is, 66' Corvette
    Nice runs Jon! Understand some disappointment in not meeting the goal, but another day is another opportunity. Knowing you still have the ASC installed, and MAF inline, we need to chat about cleaning that up.
    1996 BMW 328is -- Light mods, 2640lbs (Arctic Silver)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hroller3.../0/rVEcq6P38bc 70-120mph ~ 12 seconds

1966 Corvette Convertible -- L79 327/350HP, 4spd M21, 2nd owner (Nassau Blue)
    1987 Porsche 951 -- Project in progress (Black/Black)
    2900lbs, ~280rwhp/300rwtq

Your grandfather was right, when he said "the world is going to hell".

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by JETninja View Post
    Very nice Jonathan!

I wonder if you overheated the DR's? I know they are DR's, but are they meant to be burned out before a run? Or just a quick blip to spin and clean? I know burnouts just overheat street tires...shouldn't overheat a real drag slick obviously, but I know nothing about these Nitto's....
    i did some reading online about people who have used these DRs and they mentioned heating them up real good to get them to stick. i'm really not sure what to think about them now...

Quote Originally Posted by ethirtysixmiii View Post
    nice runs man
    thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrican5547 View Post
    you've lost that much weight with only the things you posted? I didn't realize it was that easy!

That's awesome man!
    most people don't realize how easy it is to lose weight in these cars. it takes me 10 minutes to take out the seats. definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    good stuff .. figured you would of been deep in the 12's considering everything, especially with DR's..
    with good air and traction i don't see why i wouldn't be there. i mean, just comparing my best 1/8th mile ET at irwindale to what i ran at famoso and you get a 2 tenth drop ...and that irwindale 1/8th mile result wasn't even with really good conditions. not to mention, it's been said that if you can drop a tenth in the 1/8th it will be magnified in your 1/4 mile results, similar to how dropping a tenth in your 60ft is

can't wait to see what you pull with your car with its new setup.

Quote Originally Posted by creeves328 View Post
    Nice runs Jon! Understand some disappointment in not meeting the goal, but another day is another opportunity. Knowing you still have the ASC installed, and MAF inline, we need to chat about cleaning that up.
    for sure, man! then again, i don't want to make this goal too easy to reach
    Last edited by jworms; 01-31-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

SOLD

I3MW is offline /////////////////////////
    My Cars
    81 320i, 02 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by creeves328 View Post
    +11ty billion. But nice runs as always jworms. Better than I can do

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    nice results.

i like your enthusiasm to reach your goal.

My Cars
    N/A
    What race seats are you using? The rear seats don't add TOO much, do they?

My Cars
    e36 ///M3
    Nice runs, I have close to the same mods so I know what I can expect.
    99 TitanSilber ///M3
    13.90 @ 101 mph

My Cars
    '06 4Runner| 77 930| E36
    hey I give you props jworms, you DEFINTELY have 12's with good weather and 60ft.

Powertrain: Big Bore 87mm S50| Boost Logic Gen 2 Mani | BorgWarner S366 | CP 8.5:1 pistons | Eagle Rods | O-Ringed block | Tial 50mm | Precision 46mm | LINK G4 standalone | ZF| F1 stage 3 clutch/15lb ltwfw| UUC Black TM/E| Vorshlag MM's | 3.23LSD w/AKG race bushings| AKG race subframe bushings| 'Bear Motorsports' Re-enforced subframe | Walbro 525lp fp| VPD pulleys| 4'' DP into 3.5 straight pipe"||
    Handling: FK konigsports| '95 M3 strut mounts| Rogue Engineering RSM's| UUC RTAB's| 20mm front spacers| 2915lbs Full interior
    Aesthetics: M3 bumpers| 18''x 8.5/9.5 BBS LMs| ZKW's| 50w 6000k HID| Smoked Corners| 50% wndshld/5% all around| M3 sedan seats F&R| Black headliner| Black/Grey suede door panels| ZHP knob| M3 steering Wheel|

My Cars
    4 m52s,m50,m20,s52
    Jworms you are officially the best driver recorded on BF.c..lol..Great run...What were you launching the car at? 3k ish?

Cheif Senior Hitman Engineer 1st Class

BfcOT Mafia

My Cars
    e36 m3, f30 335i
    congrats on your consistency...you seem to have just about everything in check...although you didn't hit your goal, those are some extremely respectable numbers...

My Cars
    E39 540I
    Nice runs Jon.
    If I can make a few observations.

1) Get rid of the 555Rs. They are garbage.
    2) If you can't get rid of the 555Rs, put a little more heat in them
    3) Now that you have more heat in them you need to launch about 700-1000RPM's higher than you were in the vids. I can hear from the in-car video that after the car settles and hooks, it is pulling the car just below it's powerband. Launch higher, holeshot harder.
    4) Good shifting however your 1-2 shift needs to be about a tenth quicker. With your UUC flywheel the revs are falling just a bit too quickly. Get off a quicker shift and the revs won't fall quite as much. Overall you did great shifting, but i'm both nit-picking and giving some constructive critisicm.
    If you can feel absolutely ZERO weight transfer during the 1-2 shift, you're doing it right
    5) Enjoy 12s.

Overall great job though.

MODS: DIY intake, Res delete, Magnaflow #14816, Magnaflow cats, SSK, OEM M5 LUK clutch & PP, JBR LTWFW, Stage III driver

My Cars
    95 m3
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Did I just get bumped down a spot buy .003 of a sec?? LAAAME. Thats 2 spots in a matter of 2 months! Im now 8th. I shall regain my spot as numbero tres hopefully sometime in February.

Although for some reason I am not able to see the videos, I have to commend you on nice runs. Way to take out an e92!!

And as far as the weather at your track, you need to grab Chase and come up north. It will not cost more $, just more time. The gate fee here is $15..

Also, pm me, I got a few tricks of the trade I want to share with you.
    Last edited by 95s52; 02-01-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Mods: obd1 s52, SS replica headers, SS race mid-section, SS exhaust, euro intake, 3.5" hfm, turner tune, 24lb injectors, uuc flywheel, m5 clutch.

My Cars
    E30
    When I saw the video from in the car my jaw dropped.
    Nice work and good shifting!
    premium.

Makes me want to get an ssk.

My Cars
    97 M3/4 2001 SVT Lightin
    Nice runs ! This reminds me to I need to go back to the track.
    BFC O.T. Weekday drunks club Member#17

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Shouldn't this thread be in the Drag Racing section?

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by NotherM3 View Post
    Nice runs, I have close to the same mods so I know what I can expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by racer m View Post
    Nice runs ! This reminds me to I need to go back to the track.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3lov3r View Post
    When I saw the video from in the car my jaw dropped.
    Nice work and good shifting!
    premium.

Makes me want to get an ssk.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmdubbayoo View Post
    congrats on your consistency...you seem to have just about everything in check...although you didn't hit your goal, those are some extremely respectable numbers...
    Quote Originally Posted by hc1001 View Post
    nice results.

i like your enthusiasm to reach your goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3MW View Post
    +11ty billion. But nice runs as always jworms. Better than I can do
    thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by hurrican5547 View Post
    What race seats are you using? The rear seats don't add TOO much, do they?
    they are nothing special. it's just a cheap corbeau that weighs around 15lbs. in fact, it's not even mine, i borrow it from a friend

Quote Originally Posted by BMWFanatic View Post
    hey I give you props jworms, you DEFINTELY have 12's with good weather and 60ft.
    thanks! i definitely have no doubt about 12s (not that i did before ). i just need the stars to finally align for me when i hit the track and it's a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed7 View Post
    Nice runs Jon.
    If I can make a few observations.

1) Get rid of the 555Rs. They are garbage.
    2) If you can't get rid of the 555Rs, put a little more heat in them
    3) Now that you have more heat in them you need to launch about 700-1000RPM's higher than you were in the vids. I can hear from the in-car video that after the car settles and hooks, it is pulling the car just below it's powerband. Launch higher, holeshot harder.
    4) Good shifting however your 1-2 shift needs to be about a tenth quicker. With your UUC flywheel the revs are falling just a bit too quickly. Get off a quicker shift and the revs won't fall quite as much. Overall you did great shifting, but i'm both nit-picking and giving some constructive critisicm.
    If you can feel absolutely ZERO weight transfer during the 1-2 shift, you're doing it right
    5) Enjoy 12s.

Overall great job though.
    1) agreed.
    2) i can try to put more heat in them, but it really seemed like no matter how long i burned out in them they didn't change. i started the day at 35psi in them and ended around 25psi...no change. i consistently pulled 2.0 60ft almost every time. the chirping after shifts was just icing on the cake and convinced me that maybe i need to rethink my tire choice. it was incredibly frustrating!! it might be time for small wheels and real drag tires...
    3) the car only seems like it's hooking because i had to seriously stunt my launch (almost to a bog as you can see). in fact, if you watch closely, you'll notice i have a bit of rollout before i actually launch the car. this was at the suggestion of one of the mercedes guys to try and give the tires more grip to work with at launch. either way, i totally agree on what you said about launch RPM. i normally launch my car between 4500-5000RPM when conditions allow.
    4) totally agree on the 1-2 shift. in the run on the video i slowed down my 1-2 shift to mitigate some of the traction loss on the shift...obviously it didn't help much
    5) thanks! just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by M///BMW View Post
    Jworms you are officially the best driver recorded on BF.c..lol..Great run...What were you launching the car at? 3k ish?
    hah thanks, but i'm far from the best driver on here and, as ForceFed7 mentioned, i have a few things to work on and quite a bit more room for improvement. i really believe these results aren't anything special. i think it's just a matter of more people getting out there and trying it for themselves before everyone realizes that.

Quote Originally Posted by 95s52 View Post
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Did I just get bumped down a spot buy .003 of a sec?? LAAAME. Thats 2 spots in a matter of 2 months! Im now 8th. I shall regain my spot as numbero tres hopefully sometime in February.

Although for some reason I am not able to see the videos, I have to commend you on nice runs. Way to take out an e92!!

And as far as the weather at your track, you need to grab Chase and come up north. It will not cost more $, just more time. The gate fee here is $15..

Also, pm me, I got a few tricks of the trade I want to share with you.
    haha, yeah i noticed dave threw me up on the list. still in the 13s, sadly i think it's pretty entertaining that both of our runs on that list are far from our best, yet we both managed to get ranked pretty high up. it just shows that more people need to run their cars! these results aren't that atypical!

but yeah, this event has seriously got me thinking about sacramento. today i saw a guy with a u-haul truck and a car trailer in the back. i could probably tow my car up there (to not incur wear, tear, and possible breakage on it), run it at the drag strip, and trailer it home. i mean, i drove 2 hours for this trip, what's 4-5 more? ...though i'd be scared that i'd go up there and the weather still wouldn't cooperate. on the other hand, i'd love to get me some of that negative DA action you guys get up there somewhat frequently! that could chop off over 1000ft of elevation from my results!

...and pm'ed
    Last edited by jworms; 02-01-2010 at 03:21 AM.

SOLD

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    Just got your PM.

Great runs considering you couldn't get traction. Your car is capable of 12's I believe. If you were able to get a 60ft like mine you would have hit 12.9's I believe. Where were you at on the tach when you passed the traps? Your car is definitely faster than mine but the launch is tough when the tires aren't doing their job. Go buy some mickey thompsons and be done with it, or you could run on streets like me ahahaha.

I think if I threw some good DRs on my car I could hit a 1.7 60ft and possibly hit a 13 flat or a really high 12.9 but I probably won't ever do that. I think it is possible for you to get a 1.7 60ft as well with the right tires. If you did that you would be running 12.8's or slightly better.

Something else that throws up a red flag for me is the mph on the E92 M3 DCT. Those cars should be trapping much higher than that shouldn't they? I could have sworn they should be hitting 110+mph. If that is the case then your car has a lot more mph in it as well than what that track allowed you to trap.
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    skateboard
    Nice runs. Which type of tire do you plan on running on the next go around?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo

You take running 13s waaayyyyy too seriously man.

and why are you running the hfm at all if it's not plugged in? go get a length of PVC that's 3.5" diameter and run that instead....if you're not going to use it, right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast