Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: E34's going up in flames

My Cars
    Girl car

E34's going up in flames

So from the recent 3 incidents of E34's going up in flames, I think someone needs to contact BMW about this issue. We believe the issue is the blower motor which is what I will tell them. However, there was a fire incident several months ago, but I do not remember who it was. Does anyone know who it was?
    Vehicles:
    (Sold) 95' 525 - ZF320 5-speed swap, 3.46LSD rear, Raceland headers + straight pipe
    (Current) 2012 Scion tC 6-spd M/T - slow

My Cars
    BMWs

So - you've stated its a 30A fuse... if that's true, its over 2x the max rated current draw if that's correct... and that's weird that they'd put a 30A fuse in there for that. Someone needs to start trying fuses lower. I would start with a 10, then that should blow hit a 15 in there, and that should NOT blow according to this diagram. Does anything else hang off the blower motor circuit that would make it need 30A? What size is the wiring to the blower motor?

My Cars
    89 535i 04 Sport Tra
    BMW won't do anything about it but tell you to take it BMW for a service which you will have to pay for. Car is to old and is out of product liability.

My Cars
    88' e34 535i+s Turbo
    5nail is onto something here.

My Cars
    Girl car
    I'll try a 10amp and a 15amp. Do standard fuses fit?
    Vehicles:
    (Sold) 95' 525 - ZF320 5-speed swap, 3.46LSD rear, Raceland headers + straight pipe

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
    BMW won't do anything about it but tell you to take it BMW for a service which you will have to pay for. Car is to old and is out of product liability.
    I would expect that for a part failure or a mechanical issue. Total loss to fire is not a "service" issue. Especially when it happens from inside the dashboard.

My Cars
    various
    bad engineers!

wire gauge too high (thin) and fuse too big is a recipe for disaster

My Cars
    Girl car
    Only thing we don't now 100% is what exactly causes the fire. Having a lower amperage fuse could possibly save the car, but its not a 100% guarantee.
    Vehicles:

My Cars
    1995 AlpineWeiß 525i
    Maybe I shouldn't fix my blower motor and keep using a handheld squeegie for a defroster lulz.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I suggested a lower rated fuse the other day when Brody's went up.
    The next I put in a 20amp fuse and it has yet blow. I drove 2 hours straight the other day with the heat on, fan set to 3. No problems.

My Cars
    Girl car
    I am going to try a 10 and 15amp tomorrow.

Pat, it was #19 in the fuse box, correct?
    Vehicles:

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I think so, I just checked the label under the cover.

My Cars
    Girl car
    That is what I did, it was labeled as heater blower.
    Vehicles:

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I think I'm going to start keeping hotdogs and marshmellows in the car.

My Cars
    Girl car
    Haha. I think I will keep my heat useage to a minimum. I usually have the fan on 1 anyway, even in the summer.
    Vehicles:

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by PorscheDude View Post
    I suggested a lower rated fuse the other day when Brody's went up.
    The next I put in a 20amp fuse and it has yet blow. I drove 2 hours straight the other day with the heat on, fan set to 3. No problems.
    this is one of the best discussions I've seen on the board for quite some time
    changing the fuse, what a brilliant idea...you said a 20A fuse works on speed 3.
    if I remember correctly (my car is on the other side of the state at the moment),
    there are 4 possible fan speeds, right? ideally we want to test for the highest fan speed.
    if we can maintain a level 4 blow indefinitely, then we might have this problem fixed!

My Cars
    Girl car
    Quote Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
    this is one of the best discussions I've seen on the board for quite some time
    changing the fuse, what a brilliant idea...you said a 20A fuse works on speed 3.
    if I remember correctly (my car is on the other side of the state at the moment),
    there are 4 possible fan speeds, right? ideally we want to test for the highest fan speed.
    if we can maintain a level 4 blow indefinitely, then we might have this problem fixed!
    I will be testing the fuses on setting 4. So I will go up until they stop blowing on the 4th setting.

Ideally, like Jon said, a 10amp should blow, and a 15amp should not as 12amp's is max draw.
    Vehicles:

My Cars
    BMWs
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw[/ame]

FWIW guys the bentley says "maximum current" - I take that as "ever". Someone pop their cowl off and measure the terminals of the blower at speed 4. It should be, according to Bentley, <=12A
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 01-29-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 M5T Elekta
    Quote Originally Posted by PorscheDude View Post
    I think I'm going to start keeping hotdogs and marshmellows in the car.
    Or a glove box sized fire extinguisher

My Cars
    530iT, SerII Alpine
    As far as the expiration of liability is concerned I once received a letter from LAnd Rover with the seal of HRH Queen Elizabeth on it asking me to return my 15 year old Discovery to the dealer for for a new gas tank because the one in my car was prone to bursting into flames.

They replaced my tank and put in a new fuel pump for the cost of parts only.

I didn't even have to ask.

The really funny thing is that my Disco was built while Rover was owned by BMW.

Go figure.
    Eric

'95 530iT

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by serIIalpine View Post
    As far as the expiration of liability is concerned I once received a letter from LAnd Rover with the seal of HRH Queen Elizabeth on it asking me to return my 15 year old Discovery to the dealer for for a new gas tank because the one in my car was prone to bursting into flames.

Go figure.
    I dream of receiving a letter like that but it says "return your whole Land Rover Disco II for a refund" haha.

My Cars
    530iT, SerII Alpine
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    I dream of receiving a letter like that but it says "return your whole Land Rover Disco II for a refund" haha.

Mine was unfortunately thrashed when I bought it but it could climb like a mountain goat and was pretty comfy and reliable. Oh Well.
    Eric

'95 530iT

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    Quote Originally Posted by serIIalpine View Post

Go figure.
    I want a Disco in a 5 speed. Bad ass. They can be had for cheap if they are found.
    Are they really as unreliable as people say?
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCleaner View Post
    The car had a fan controle issue before I sold it. Was told the fire started in the dash. At the time 1, 2 were not working on the fan spead. thats a lot of new parts up in flames.
    Hey goofy balls, I posted the pics already, there has been 3 fires lately! I may be getting a set of cheap heads to see what room we have to play with for your 540

My Cars
    94 540I
    oops its been too long since I've been on the forums.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast