Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: how do you guys feel about a tow vehicle/towing subforum or sticky?

My Cars
    M3/4/5

how do you guys feel about a tow vehicle/towing subforum or sticky?

i think considering the demographic here and the fact that 99% of people in this forum who have a number plate (and many who dont as well)on their car own a tow vehicle/trailer that some place for discussion would be relevant and beneficial to the community.
    things like truck+trailer maintenance, outfitting a trailer, setting up hitches, product reviews/commentary.

personally, i just got my first truck about 2 weeks ago, i could use some pointing in the right direction.

discuss

My Cars
    540i6 / M20 / Burb 2500
    I like this. I'll be looking around in a few months for one as well, need to trade in the 330 and get something to pull the E30. SE30 here I come!
    2001 540i 6-Speed / 1989 325i M20 / 1994 Suburban 2500

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
    LoveClub Member #23

My Cars
    97 M3
    There's just not that much to it. Why not just discuss it here? A couple topics and everything that needs saying will be said.

My F150 has the review camera that points right down at the hitch and it has guidelines in the camera view. It's never been so easy to hook up the trailer.

My Cars
    2000 E39 M5
    I like the idea. Thinking about getting an X5 4.4i for a tow vehicle/DD in the near future...

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    There have been quite a few a threads here on the topics. As MasterKwan pointed out, not much to discuss.

Various truck boards have their own towing subforums depending on your tow vehicle. RV.net also ha sa good section:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/40.cfm
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    spec e46
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
    There's just not that much to it. Why not just discuss it here? A couple topics and everything that needs saying will be said.

My F150 has the review camera that points right down at the hitch and it has guidelines in the camera view. It's never been so easy to hook up the trailer.
    there's a great deal to it, especially for those people that are new to the whole towing thing and don't know where to start. i think a towing subforum is an excellent idea given its close relationship to track/racing.
    Last edited by jtower; 01-27-2010 at 10:05 PM.

My Cars
    BMW. Lots of BMW.
    i think its a great idea - for the next truck I buy I will want the opinions of the BF.C members who tow to the track.

Or I could just give my money to mooch and he will get me the truck I want.
    bmwcca member 404029

2008 E93 M3
    2007 E92 328xi
    2004 E46 M3
    2002 E46 M3 HS build in progress
    1998 Z3
    1996 E36 M3 IS/T3
    1995 E36 M3 track car
    1994 E36 325ish.....AER

My Cars
    too many bmws
    tons of threads here if you search and probably not enough daily volume to warrant a separate sub-forum.
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '00 F-350 Dually
    BMWCCA #360858 NASA # 128290

https://www.facebook.com/COTABBR

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post

i guess its just something to keep it out at the top or always a simple click away rather than having to search through thee massive bf.c archives for things.

now that sounds sweet! i need that for my new truck for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by ///M3Augy View Post
    I like the idea. Thinking about getting an X5 4.4i for a tow vehicle/DD in the near future...
    new job paying well?

Quote Originally Posted by jtower View Post
    there's a great deal to it, especially for those people that are new to the whole towing thing and don't know where to start. i think a towing subforum is an excellent idea given its close relationship to track/racing.
    yea i wouldn't call myself clueless, but i have a lot to learn

Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
    There have been quite a few a threads here on the topics. As MasterKwan pointed out, not much to discuss.

Various truck boards have their own towing subforums depending on your tow vehicle. RV.net also ha sa good section:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/40.cfm
    been on there, its just got a different feel when the info comes from a racer on here as opposed to someone hauling a camper around the country ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by kishg View Post
    tons of threads here if you search and probably not enough daily volume to warrant a separate sub-forum.
    so how about a sticky thread then?

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by luv4myE36 View Post

been on there, its just got a different feel when the info comes from a racer on here as opposed to someone hauling a camper around the country ya know?

so how about a sticky thread then?
    Yea, but a lot of the same principles apply. Doesnt matter if youre towing a 10k pound camper or a 10k pound race trailer. Here are some links I dug up for now:

Manual Transmission for Tow Vehicles

Slope Nosed Trailers

Tow Vehicle Tire Pressures

Compromising trailers for tow vehicles with lesser capabilities

Deciding on TV between Big3

Aluminum vs. Steel

Using an Ambulance as a TV

Open Trailer Search

Tow Vehicle Brake Pads

Tons more that you can look through here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rchid=15366320
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    GTS2 M3, B6 A4, F350
    Real racers don't use SUVs to tow. They use good, old-fashioned body-on-frame trucks with wider tracks, longer wheelbases, and are just inherently leaps and bounds safer for towing.

My Cars
    spec e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimax View Post
    Real racers don't use SUVs to tow. They use good, old-fashioned body-on-frame trucks with wider tracks, longer wheelbases, and are just inherently leaps and bounds safer for towing.
    unless you have a diesel excursion, the ultimate towing suv

My Cars
    GTS2 M3, B6 A4, F350
    Ha, OK, I'll give you that.

Wait, Jason? Former NSX owner?
    Last edited by Jimax; 01-27-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e30 M3, 335d
    I like this idea a lot because I didn't have that much success finding the information I wanted when I went out looking for forums that discussed this topic. Would be nice to get info from people who are already doing exactly what I'd like to be doing.

My Cars
    spec e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimax View Post
    Ha, OK, I'll give you that.

Wait, Jason? Former NSX owner?
    aye! http://racing.cerient.net/?page_id=2

My Cars
    GTS2 M3, B6 A4, F350
    FYI, it's Jim, Will's friend. We met at Summit Point TrackDaze and met briefly again at VIR in November.

My Cars
    540i6 / M20 / Burb 2500
    I've been thinking the same thing... or dropping an M30 into my 318 and picking up another E30 for SE30.. We'll have to see. I've also been looking at used Range Rover Sports (HSE) and Cayenne S's.

I haven't heard any downsides to X5's; I've actually heard great things about them.

Not gonna lie, if I get an X5 I'd definitely put some quality wheels/tires on it so it would be thoroughly capable in off-road conditions.

Dan

edit: that's an x3... but those tires on an X5 with better wheels would be awesome.
    Last edited by DrBobOh; 01-28-2010 at 01:43 AM.
    2001 540i 6-Speed / 1989 325i M20 / 1994 Suburban 2500

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
    LoveClub Member #23

My Cars
    98 IP M3, and others
    The problem with an X5 is that it doesnt give you enough room inside for all the crap you will take if you get serious about it.........and.....it isnt big enough to haul a huge trailer, to compensate for the storage it doesnt have. I know....its tough to drive anything without a Roundel on the hood....but American Trucks are THE BEST IN THE WORLD for this purpose. BUY AMERICAN....it helps
    ..."keep a little love in your heart and a taste of jazz in your soul."

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 540i, E30 32
    or a 3/4 ton Suburban/Yukon XL with the 8.1L gasser

A Duramax/Allison would be better of course, especially when it comes to mpg.
    John Van Houten
    http://www.elephantmotorsports.com

Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. --Steve McQueen

My Cars
    97 M3
    American Trucks are THE BEST IN THE WORLD for this purpose. BUY AMERICAN....it helps
    I bought American and it's been back to the dealer twice for annoyances including a sunroof leak. That said, the passenger compartment is cavernous and the entertainment system/navi is top notch. Of course, if I'd bought the toyota I might be dead from unintended acceleration. The toyota was built better and more powerful. The ford was a nicer place to be (if you ignore the crappy plastic quality).

I got rid of a 2 year old Chevy truck because engine temp would climb going up hill towing my suby.

My Cars
    '95 M3 IP #595, '07 Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by BobWright View Post
    The problem with an X5 is that it doesnt give you enough room inside for all the crap you will take if you get serious about it.........and.....it isnt big enough to haul a huge trailer, to compensate for the storage it doesnt have. I know....its tough to drive anything without a Roundel on the hood....
    True, but I've been towing an open aluminum for 3 years and I still only fill the X5 about 50% to storage capacity (tires and jugs go on the trailer). It all depends on how much crap you plan to bring to the track.

The X5 is hands down one of the best options for a double duty rig. Drives like a 5 series and can tow 6,000 lbs very well....in fact it pulls surprisingly well.

Oh, and I don't really see the need for a subforum or sticky. Just search.
    Last edited by Michael9218; 01-28-2010 at 10:18 AM.

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnVanHouten View Post
    or a 3/4 ton Suburban/Yukon XL with the 8.1L gasser

A Duramax/Allison would be better of course, especially when it comes to mpg.
    i just got one of those! its frickin awesome! gas mileage sucks of course but it is what it is. i want to get a custom plate for it that says "MPG LOL"

pulling ~5# pounds (e46 on big open uhaul trailer) i had to set my cruise to 60 on the highway because even very very gently resting my foot on the gas the truck was going 85 like nothing was behind me.

My Cars
    too many bmws
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
    True, but I've been towing an open aluminum for 3 years and I still only fill the X5 about 50% to storage capacity (tires and jugs go on the trailer). It all depends on how much crap you plan to bring to the track.

The X5 is hands down one of the best options for a double duty rig. Drives like a 5 series and can tow 6,000 lbs very well....in fact it pulls surprisingly well.

Oh, and I don't really see the need for a subforum or sticky. Just search.
    +1 will be towing an open with the wife's X5 this season.
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '00 F-350 Dually
    BMWCCA #360858 NASA # 128290

https://www.facebook.com/COTABBR

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    I dunno, a towing subforum might not be a bad idea if those that actually have to create it think it is a good idea! Putting everything about towing in one forum has some appeal to the anal-retentive side of me.

Get etrailer.com as the forum sponsor and you're golden!
    Last edited by admranger; 01-28-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    good thinkin!
    just more revenue for the forum.
    hmmm, my idea for the subforum which sparked your idea for the sponsor...
    we should get a cut!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast