Thread: Tricks to removing the center AIR VENTS?

My Cars
    '61 A-Body

Tricks to removing the center AIR VENT GRILLS?

got my used one in the mail today and ready to swap'em out

I see four tabs which appear to secure the center, AC/HEAT directions vent assembly.

I've read the "four credit cards" method.

Any other tricks to offer before I start prying around in there to remove the old one?

And should the cable already be attached to the air vent assembly? Or can the old "bowden cable" be reattached to the new vent assembly? In other words, the used vent assembly doesn't already have the cable attached to it,. Does that mean it's junk?

Props to porksoda for the DIY!

thanks!
    Last edited by doc540; 01-25-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Not a firearms expert

My Cars
    BMW X5, Lotus
    I read somewhere that if you remove the vent at the top of the dash it will allow you access to the center vent to remove it.

My Cars
    95 530ia, 92 525, 07 530
    Quote Originally Posted by doc540 View Post
    got my used one in the mail today and ready to swap'em out

I see four tabs which appear to secure the center, AC/HEAT directions vent assembly.

I've read the "four credit cards" method.

Any other tricks to offer before I start prying around in there to remove the old one?

And should the cable already be attached to the air vent assembly? Or can the old "bowden cable" be reattached to the new vent assembly? In other words, the used vent assembly doesn't already have the cable attached to it,. Does that mean it's junk?

Props to porksoda for the DIY!

thanks!
    When I replaced the center vent last year on the 95 530i, I was not sucessful with the four taps removal method. Since I was replacing the old vent which was broken with a new one. I ended up using a large needle nose pliers and slowly pulled it out, first the two rotating vents and then grabbing the center yank the frame out. The bowen cable will be attached to the old vent and need to be detacted from the old and put on the new. The bottom tap are very hard to access. Hope you'll have better luck than I did.

My Cars
    '61 A-Body
    Thanks for the info.

I'll call a local BMW tech tomorrow and see what he suggests.

Not a firearms expert