Thread: First batch of F10 first drive reviews: All postive!

My Cars
    BMW 325i

First batch of F10 first drive reviews: All postive!

The first batch of F10 driving reviews are in, and they are all positive:

Car and Driver:
    Driving dynamics are where BMW shines most brightly, and the fact that the company has achieved further improvement commands respect. We drove the 535i and the 530d, both equipped with silky-smooth, 3.0-liter inline-six engines.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

Car Connection:
    The new 2011 BMW 535i is more of a driver’s car than than the current 2010 5-Series—or most other mid-size luxury sedans—while still upping the technology ante and not forgetting about the comfort and luxury that matters
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/mart...1-bmw-5-series

Motor Trend:
    The new 5 (which goes on sale in 535i and 550i flavors in June, with the 528i coming later), at least when fitted with EPS and optional Active Steering, and a practically every other chassis trick in the book as our test car was, is far more rewarding to drive on a twisty coastal road than its predecessor.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_1001_2011_bmw_535i_test/index.html#ixzz0dIhq0E8v
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...nd_engine.html

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I red car connection's review and it was very good. That does surprise me a bit that it is a really good drivers car. That at least shows that BMW is paying attention to its customers a bit.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    e36 325i
    I know it can't be just me... but the front bumpers on non M cars look awful. If they had a subtle opening that was mouth shaped like an M car it would look a million times better.

My Cars
    E90 335i
    All the above reviews say the driveability and handling of F10 is superior to the E60, notwithstanding the electronic aids. That's great news to hear. Did'nt bmw say despite the larger size, the handling of the F10 will be just like the 3 series?

My Cars
    E90 330i

Jeder lobt was Nürburgring-erprobt

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    I found two more interesting first drive reviews for the F10, both are positive. Of particular note is that Autoweek mentioned that the steering seems to be pretty good, without the numb issues of active steering in current models.

Automobile Magazine:
    The new 5-series continues to pack some of the best adaptive controls that allow an impressive spectrum of behavior from comfort to sport. It’s comfortable for commuting and competent on the track. For that range of capability, the 5-series is a standout in its class and in the entire automotive market.
    The first 5s will arrive in the U.S. in mid-June with rear-wheel drive in either 535i or 550i trim. All-wheel-drive variants and the 528i will arrive in the fall. While pricing hasn’t been announced, expect a 535i to start near current stickers, in the mid-$50,000s.
    http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ew_engine.html

Autoweek:
    The new electro-mechanical steering system with rear-wheel steer makes the 535i even more maneuverable around town than before. With optional adjustable suspension in comfort mode, the low-speed ride is sufficiently supple to soak up broken surfaces with authority. This car is terrifically composed with great stability, a nice tied-down feel and hugely impressive refinement at higher speeds.
    In fact, the one fundamental change in character that immediately captured my attention is its apparent calmness. I worried that the sportiness that has been a hallmark of the 5-series may have been compromised.
    Those worries were put to rest when I found a challenging coastal road. The combination of steered front wheels and counter-steering rear wheels greatly reduces the work rate for the driver. Even on winding roads, you rarely need to call up more than a quarter-turn of the steering wheel.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100121/CARREVIEWS/100129974#ixzz0dJVtjV62

My Cars
    Avus M3
    This new 5 series looks amazing. The 550i is going to be a beast. I'm really curious on how good the F10 M5 will be after reading these reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by RADI0ACTIV3M4N View Post
    I know it can't be just me... but the front bumpers on non M cars look awful. If they had a subtle opening that was mouth shaped like an M car it would look a million times better.
    I agree but not all the bumpers look bad in comparison. I think the 335i bumper looks great.

My Cars
    E90 335i
    I read somewhere (forgot where exactly) that the F10 will be priced below the current E60, just like how the new Mercedes E class is priced below the old E class. Anyone can confirm this?

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    On the F10 having a cheaper price, you mean this:

When we first saw the 2011 BMW 5 Series, the Munich executives told us that the base price of the 2011 BMW 535i would stay the same as the 2010 BMW 5 Series, which has a base price of $51,250. Well, maybe it was the intoxicating Portuguese sea air, but these same execs have just told us that the decision has been made to price this new and improved 5 Series below the outgoing model. Are we looking at a possible $49,999.99 base price for the 2011 BMW 535i? Wait and see.

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/5-seri...rst-drive.html

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit
    Make it diesel and awd and ill buy one

My Cars
    E90 335i
    Tomcat-Thanks, for the info, but I guess all this is just sales talk until we see the actual price listing.

jfboy- Yeah, it's about time we get more diesel options!

About reviews, they all sound great but hmmm, I can't really decide until I get to drive it myself. I mean Car and Driver and Automobile mag are respectable mags for sure, and I won't doubt their views, but the only real way to know is to do it first-hand, since there is the inherent subjective factor in reviews. As an analogy, a movie will have great reviews, but it won't matter if you don't like it. Car reviews have more weight since cars of course are considerably more expensive then a movie ticket and you won't be so casual in buying one. But still, at the end of the day, it's your own preference that matters the most, and the only way to do it is to test drive it.
    Last edited by m3theman; 01-24-2010 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    e30/e36/e90

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by jfboy View Post
    Make it diesel and awd and ill buy one
    If only this were an option last spring. There would be a diesel 5 in my garage.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by m3theman View Post
    Tomcat-Thanks, for the info, but I guess all this is just sales talk until we see the actual price listing.

jfboy- Yeah, it's about time we get more diesel options!

About reviews, they all sound great but hmmm, I can't really decide until I get to drive it myself. I mean Car and Driver and Automobile mag are respectable mags for sure, and I won't doubt their views, but the only real way to know is to do it first-hand, since there is the inherent subjective factor in reviews. As an analogy, a movie will have great reviews, but it won't matter if you don't like it. Car reviews have more weight since cars of course are considerably more expensive then a movie ticket and you won't be so casual in buying one. But still, at the end of the day, it's your own preference that matters the most, and the only way to do it is to test drive it.
    True, you can't really know for sure until you test-drive yourself. Still, reviews are useful as a guide. I don't agree with all the reviews Car and Driver has, but they generally give a good indication of the car's abilities. Reviews are useful as reference to what car may suit you.

Now I'm more interested in the diesel option, 335d is not enough, we want more diesels here, bmw if you are listening, give us F10 diesels in the States now!

My Cars
    E90 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat104 View Post
    True, you can't really know for sure until you test-drive yourself. Still, reviews are useful as a guide. I don't agree with all the reviews Car and Driver has, but they generally give a good indication of the car's abilities. Reviews are useful as reference to what car may suit you.

Now I'm more interested in the diesel option, 335d is not enough, we want more diesels here, bmw if you are listening, give us F10 diesels in the States now!
    I suppose, yes, reviews can be a good reference. You should also bear in mind the background of the review publication, take Popular Mechanics, for example, they actually praise the 5 series drives better with all the electronic gizmos than the vanilla F10 5 series:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4343693.html

While 6 feet across is hardly huge by American standards, the new 5 Series feels like a big car, and it doesn’t shrink around you as you speed up. You can’t see the corners of the bodywork and that makes it hard to place when you first drive it. When equipped with the standard suspension, there’s a ponderous feeling to the car, and a slight reluctance to change direction. It’s rides terrifically, however, and grip levels are more than adequate, but for the first time we can remember, we have a BMW sedan that feels somewhat divorced from the road.

Then we stepped into a fully loaded car, with a boatload of computer-controlled chassis aids. Electronics manage the relationship between the adjustable shocks (known as Dynamic Damper Control) , antiroll bars, variable steering ratio and stability control. Remember that divorced feeling? Well, it was suddenly nowhere in sight, and we felt superb communication between driver and machine. The nose turned in with alacrity and the shocks coped with anything we could throw at them; the chassis balance and control provide an object lesson to rivals. The conservative looking 5 Series hauls out of turns with a slightly mysterious grin that indicates we’ve been having fun together.

This is no doubt because Popular Mechanics has a natural interest in electronic gadgets.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Motortrend did a comparsion between the new E class and the F10, and no suprise, F10 is the winner:

So which one wins? Each is so well-tailored to its own target owner groups that neither seems likely to lure away the faithful of the other brand, but if you're reading this publication with an open mind that's not swayed by intangibles like brand cachet, we expect you're going to prefer the lighter-feeling, livelier-driving BMW, so that one gets the nod this time around.

1ST PLACE: BMW 535i
    A physics-defying technological wonder that no longer flaunts its electronics.

2ND PLACE: MERCEDES-BENZ E350
    Feels as strong, solid, and capable as we used to think our banks were.

Read more:

I don't want to slag at Benz fans. Mercs and E class in particular, are good, solid and comfortable cars with great driveability for long cruises or road trips. But the sportier flair of the 5 series always seem to excite me more. I may be preaching to the choir, but stating the good attributes of Benz means I am at least keeping an open mind, if only a little.

My Cars
    the bus
    Why would we expect anything different. They are using the same engine as the 335. And BMW's suspension is always top notch.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious2 View Post
    Why would we expect anything different. They are using the same engine as the 335. And BMW's suspension is always top notch.
    No question about it, Bmw's suspension and its engineering overall is really one of the best in the auto industry. Still, Bmws don't always win comparison tests, the S4 unseated the 335i in the Car and Driver comparison.

My Cars
    BMW 325i

In-depth review of 2011 535i and firm lower pricing info

Automobile mag has a new in-depth review of 535i:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...35i/index.html

That's the thing about this 5. It's unquestionably the most advanced, most complex mid-size sedan that BMW has ever produced. Yet it's a challenge to decipher when and how the electronics guided your last stunt. All carmakers in this luxury class are playing with active dynamics, but it's BMW's mastery that puts the 5 at the top of the class. To us, though, even better than being on top is recapturing the spirit of the earlier 5s. With the new 5-series, BMW has found and channeled the authenticity and finesse of earlier cars. Cars that we once called the world's best-driving sedans.

2011 BMW 535i

Also, we have pricing info on the new 5 series, which is actually lower then the E60. This is in line with what Mercedes did with their new E class as well, which also lowered prices:

Although the 2011 BMW 5 Series sports numerous enhancements -- including two new engines and a new transmission -- over the previous incarnation car, BMW actually lowered the prices on the 535i and 550i sedan models. The 535i now starts at $50,475 and the 550i opens at $60,575.

The new 535i eschews the current twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-six, dubbed the N54, for BMW’s new dual-scroll single-turbo 3.0-liter inline-six, the N55. It also comes with either the new ZF eight-speed automatic or a six-speed manual. The new car possesses a few of BMW’s EfficientDynamics pieces including electric power steering, regenerative braking, and on-demand operation of engine accessory drives. Despite these changes and additional features, the new 535i is $1650 cheaper than the outgoing 535i -- $50,475 versus $52,125.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6625660/auto-news/bmw-lowers-prices-on-2011-5-series-535i-begins-at-50475/index.html#ixzz0jR5pQlhY
    Last edited by Tomcat104; 03-27-2010 at 10:56 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    In for spy pics of the F10 M5
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    E90 335i
    Spy shots of new F10 M5:

"As we've mentioned earlier, the 2011 M5 is expected to ditch the outgoing car's high-revving V10 in favor of a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 borrowed from the X5 M and X6 M. Currently, that engine kicks out 555 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque, but if the rumormill is to be believed, BMW's M division has cranked out some extra punch for the M5, to the tune of 578 hp and 530 lb-ft. That means 0-60 mph runs should happen in under 4.5 seconds on the way to a limited top speed of 155 mph. As for transmissions, we'll bet our last dollar that the M5 will use a dual-clutch setup, and we're still crossing our fingers that a proper manual transmission will find its way into the cards as well"

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/05/s...-its-new-skin/
    Last edited by m3theman; 03-28-2010 at 09:08 PM.

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit
    Square mirrors... skinny rear tires...

My Cars
    E39
    I drove one of these for a couple days. I WANT, YO!