Thread: swapping a manual to auto.92 325i and 97 m3

My Cars
    96 cobra, 95 m3

swapping a manual to auto.92 325i and 97 m3

I have a 92 325i with 5 speed manual zf transmission and a 97 m3 with a 5 speed automatic. I've read how to make the manual trans work in the m3 but what do I need to make the auto work in my 92 325i? any links to manual to auto swaps?

thanks
    John

My Cars
    E36 328i, F31 328dx
    A manual to auto swap is like swapping your italian supermodel girlfriend for the high school lunch lady.

My Cars
    323is
    Quote Originally Posted by BIMM3R36 View Post
    A manual to auto swap is like swapping your italian supermodel girlfriend for the high school lunch lady.

Well unless your supermodel can't drive a stick, or you are just tired of manuals ( like I am.) He probably has his own reason.

My Cars
    02 330i, past: E30, E36
    Quote Originally Posted by BIMM3R36 View Post
    ... or maybe he's putting the manual in the m3 because he wants to drive the faster car, and is going to use the 325i as the auto dd.?

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Chances are you will not find ANYONE who has ever done this. It will be much easier and cheaper to sell the auto transmission and the 325i and buy an automatic 325i.

If however, you have some attachment to the 325 (perfectly understandable) and you simply must have an automatic in it, it seems to me that your best bet would be to get a wiring harness from an automatic 325i and swap the harnesses out. The EGS and DME are very much interconnected, and at the very least you'd have to add wires to your existing DME and have it flashed to run with an EGS.

And that's just to cover the wiring aspect.

Good luck.

My Cars
    96 cobra, 95 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by espguitarist View Post
    Chances are you will not find ANYONE who has ever done this. It will be much easier and cheaper to sell the auto transmission and the 325i and buy an automatic 325i.

If however, you have some attachment to the 325 (perfectly understandable) and you simply must have an automatic in it, it seems to me that your best bet would be to get a wiring harness from an automatic 325i and swap the harnesses out. The EGS and DME are very much interconnected, and at the very least you'd have to add wires to your existing DME and have it flashed to run with an EGS.

And that's just to cover the wiring aspect.

Good luck.
    eek sounds like too much trouble. I wanted the 5spd in my 97 m3 that I just bought and my friend wants my 92 to be an automatic. I might just find another getrag 5spd for the 92 and install the zf trans in my m3. How much are 5spd auto m3 trannys worth?

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    $100-$400 if in good shape and low mileage otherwise they are used for aluminum and steel per pound.

My Cars
    96 cobra, 95 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
    $100-$400 if in good shape and low mileage otherwise they are used for aluminum and steel per pound.
    works perfectly but it has 175k miles on it.