Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 Hybrid Audio Technologies L8 install (finally)

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5

E46 M3 Hybrid Audio Technologies L8 install (finally)

Well, I've only had the speakers, amp, etc. for what, 3 months now (Tom?).

Anyway, spent about 6 hours (this kind of stuff isn't playing to my strong points, that's for sure!) out in the garage disassembling the trunk, rear seat, rear parcel shelf, removing the HK subs, rear speakers, and starting the baffle build/rear deck hole cutting (eek!).

Have one baffle cut and shaped to fit with the T-nuts installed. Now to do the other side and then the reassembly starts on the interior.

Yeah, I know, you want pics. Maybe tomorrow when I can feel something other than pain in my knees...
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    I want to see pictures. Those drivers seem awesome

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
    Those drivers seem awesome
    indeed, they are!

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    I am sending you some asprin

Knee pads work wonders! Can't wait to see pics.

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    Meh. Pics are over-rated...

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm am sloooooow. Real slow. Just got in from the garage a few minutes ago. Been out there about 9 hours today. Still not up and running yet.

Progress today was cutting the driver side hole (that was a chore due to the center shoulder belt part I had to cut through (my car doesn't have a center shoulder belt, but it is there in the package shelf). That's some tough steel.

Got the speakers installed, sound deadening put on top and bottom, interior put back together. BTW: I hate sound deadening material. I sliced the heck out of my hands with that metal backing material.

Started playing around in the trunk trying to get the wiring run figured out. Got a few wires cut and connectors put on. Just need to bolt things down and run the wires so I can get the car running again. Will have to build the "box" and carpet it later (maybe next weekend...).

Again, this interior detail type stuff is not my strong suit (need a motor pulled, I can do that -- easy) so I am really double thinking things and trying to get it right. You guys probably would have had this done the morning of the first day...

Anyway, no pics yet -- I'll save them for when I'm done (so you can't see my sloppy sound deadening work with all the blood on it).

My wife was a funny gal today. I showed her the L8's in their baffles (3/4 inch plywood) and she said "aren't you going to sand and paint them?" The doctors believe she'll make a full recovery... (I kid, I kid).

Tom answered some more of my dumb questions today. He's been a big help. He must hate seeing my number pop up as he knows he has to bring out the "installation for real dummies" book to help me. Speaking of dumb questions...Tom, am I wiring the L8's in parallel or separately to the amp? I think separately, but just checking before I cut speaker wire.

More work tomorrow night to see if I can make some sounds out of this! Probably will take two nights as I have to install the LOC too, so I'll have to figure out which wires to cut into at some point.
    Last edited by admranger; 01-19-2010 at 12:03 AM.
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    Ok, the speakers and amp are in. I still have some finishing touches to do as I need a slightly longer piece of speaker wire and then I can add the last layer of sound deadening and the carpet on top of that.

I finished last night, took some pics, and turned in for the night.

I can report that adding the L8's has really improved the system (Clarus 5.25 system up front) overall. I can tell you that the system rocks! It isn't as nice as some others out there, but it is very good for me and best of all, my wife likes it and says it sounds "crisp". Good thing since it is her car. Best of all, no buzzes, etc. that would require me to pull everything apart again!

I'm still messing with the tuning of the system, but so far so good.

I'll post pics tonight so you can see my amateur install. However, other than the missing HK black subwoofer <cough>, you really can't tell that I've done anything unless you duck down and look into the upper back part of the trunk. Well, the sound is better, so I guess that's a dead giveaway that I've done something...

Big thanks to Tom for answering, what, 100 emails?
    Last edited by admranger; 01-20-2010 at 12:07 PM.
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    glad to hear it! can't wait to see the pics.

the l8s won't pound out chest-thumping sub-bass like a larger dedicated subwoofer, but they definitely play sub-bass audibly, complementing the system nicely, and really pound out the mid-bass. now just imagine them up in front of you in the doors pounding into your knees!

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by admranger View Post
    Big thanks to Tom for answering, what, 100 emails?
    I think it was more like 120

Glad to hear you are happy. The L8's as subs work well. As you listen to them you will find that they have great attack and will not be boomy at all. They will sound even better after a few hours of break-in time.

P.S. I wish your wife a speedy recovery

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    Here are some pics for your amusement. Direct criticism to someone else please. I never claimed to be an expert at this stuff. Helpful hints are always welcome.

Last edited by admranger; 01-20-2010 at 10:32 PM.
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Send me the pics if you want and I can upload them.

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    Send me the pics if you want and I can upload them.
    I think I got them there now...had to put them in photobucket, something I don't like to do.

Remember, I haven't dressed the cables, etc.

In hind sight, I probably should have lined the amps up in a row instead of at right angles to each other...oh well, it still sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Z View Post
    glad to hear it! can't wait to see the pics.

the l8s won't pound out chest-thumping sub-bass like a larger dedicated subwoofer, but they definitely play sub-bass audibly, complementing the system nicely, and really pound out the mid-bass. now just imagine them up in front of you in the doors pounding into your knees!
    Yeah, I was actually thinking how wild it would be to have them up front.

For now, I'll have to "suffer" with them out back.

Now, on to the planning for the X5, which I understand is a bit more complex...
    Last edited by admranger; 01-21-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5

Final Pics!!!

Used the trunk carpet I bought from Tom to finish out the trunk. I didn't build a fancy box, but rather used 3M 77 spray adhesive and moved really slowly installing it.

After the adhesive cures overnight and everything finishes stretching out, I'll do final, final, final trimming of the carpet around things.

Sooooo, this an ok install?

2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    looks like it could be oem to me.

as long as you (you, of course, meaning your wife) are happy - that's all that really matters!

how they sounding? get them balanced in with the rest of the system? what frequencies do you have them playing?

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    looks like it could be oem to me.

as long as you (you, of course, meaning your wife) are happy - that's all that really matters!

how they sounding? get them balanced in with the rest of the system? what frequencies do you have them playing?
    My wife helped me install the carpet (she's a keeper, I keep telling you guys that!), including cutting the holes for the speakers out (after doing the original layout). I finished adding the second layer of sound deadening and then we went to work with the carpet.

They are sounding quite good, imo. I have them crossed at 90hz (+/-) using the built in amp crossover. Using the fader to control the output.

Still futzing with the sound a bit (haven't listened to it that much yet). My wife has a 70 mile drive each way to a facility twice next week, so I'll take feedback and tweak. My goal is to have the lows, of course, without having an image/soundstage develop behind the front seats.

They do sound tight and crisp, as expected.

Thanks for the compliment on the install. It was a lot of work, but it sounds soooooo good now.
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    dude, you should easily get 60hz out of them. i have mine playing 50hz to 135hz.

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    dude, you should easily get 60hz out of them. i have mine playing 50hz to 135hz.
    Sorry, wrong wording. I have them playing from 90hz down. I guess I'll try them at 120-140hz down and see how they go. I don't think I can put a lower limit w/the Blau 1400 amp I have...

Thanks though.
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Do you mind explaining to me what "hz" are?? Is 60hz lower or higher than 90hz in sound??

OP, what did you use to cut the rear deck??
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    hz is a measure of frequency (1hz = 1 cycle/second), 20hz is thought to be the lower limit of human hearing (you can feel lower frequencies). 60hz would be a lower frequency (lower note) than 90 hz.

I used a combination of Wiss left and right hand metal sheers and a saber saw (tight quarters for a power tool though). By the looks of my hands, it appears I tried to use them as well, but the metal won that battle...

Hope that helps!
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Sorry, wrong wording. I have them playing from 90hz down. I guess I'll try them at 120-140hz down and see how they go. I don't think I can put a lower limit w/the Blau 1400 amp I have...

Thanks though.
    You can try it, but you are using these as subs. Benny Z is using them as midbass drivers. Your front speakers are doing midbass duty, so you will want the subs to take over below that crossover point. You will not hurt them by crossing them higher, so do what sounds best to you.

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    yeah, my response was based on the assumption that you had them playing 90hz on up. probably fine as-is from 90-down. i would throw a 20hz filter on the low end to protect them if your wife ever gets a little crazy with the volume knob.

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    yeah, my response was based on the assumption that you had them playing 90hz on up. probably fine as-is from 90-down. i would throw a 20hz filter on the low end to protect them if your wife ever gets a little crazy with the volume knob.
    Tom -- Order up! (what am I ordering? )

She said she can't hear anything after her drive today. Music was played loud and clean! She's lovin' it.
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Tom -- Order up! (what am I ordering? )
    ??

I don't know. These?: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lear_25dB.html

??
    Last edited by 12v Electronics; 01-25-2010 at 11:35 PM.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    You can try it, but you are using these as subs. Benny Z is using them as midbass drivers. Your front speakers are doing midbass duty, so you will want the subs to take over below that crossover point. You will not hurt them by crossing them higher, so do what sounds best to you.
    OP... sorry to steal your thread, but I have a question...

TOM, I can adjust my cross-over points in my radio, but I obviously have no idea. What is good starting point for me with 2- 10" kicker subs?? I know I can adjust a "LPF" and "HPF"... whatever those are.

Why would one want to do that??
    Last edited by BadBoostedBmwM3; 01-25-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    The 20hz filter thingy that BennyZ mentioned.

I don't need no stinkin' earplugs.

As a matter of fact, I had "Breathe" by Pink Floyd on the X5's "premium audio system" cranked and it just wasn't cutting it. We're gonna have to figure something out (yes, I have DSP and nav). The X5 needs help here...
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    OP... sorry to steal your thread, but I have a question...

TOM, I can adjust my cross-over points in my radio, but I obviously have no idea. What is good starting point for me with 2- 10" kicker subs?? I know I can adjust a "LPF" and "HPF"... whatever those are.
    Low pass is usually for subs and high pass is usually for your other speakers. Generally you want the HP and LP at the same point.

Start around the same point as the OP. 65 to 120 hz is usually a good crossover point for a system like yours. Then fine tune to taste.

The 20hz filter thingy that BennyZ mentioned.
    Ah,

He is talking about a subsonic filter. It will take the low bass out of the L8's to prevent them from overdriving and keep the amps power in the audible range. It is not a bad idea, but not a cheap addition to your system (for a good unit anyway). They are usually combined with an electronic crossover and unless you get one for other purposes it will probably not be worth it. I had an Audio Control DQL-8 in my E46 with the exact same system and it was incredible. Looks kinda similar to yours too.

It is the box on the top right of the pic:

If you really want one, it is a great unit. It accepts line level in so you can connect directly to your factory HU and has really great crossovers and EQ's built in.

I have an open box unit that I would sell cheap. I may even have my old E46 tune that I could put on it.
    Last edited by 12v Electronics; 01-26-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast