Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ready to join the LS1 club

My Cars
    95 JDM3

Ready to join the LS1 club

Just bought my motor and tranny today. So EXCITED!!!

Ok, this is a Motor and transmission in EXCELLENT condition, coming out of a 1998 Camaro Z-28. Motor has been modified and has a awsome set of heads, cams, and other aftermarket parts. It put down over 420 RWHP in the camaro it was in. The engine and transmission are currently in the car. They will be pulled as soon as the auction is won. The engine can be shown running to prospective buyers so they can hear it and see how good it is. The car drove 100% perfect and the transmission is also excellent. This is a list of modifications the car had on it, NOT ALL OF THESE WILL COME WITH IT. You are bidding on the T-56 transmission and the LS1 Engine ONLY. No accessories. If you are INTERESTED IN THE ACCESSORIES, PLEASE CALL AND WE CAN WORK OUT A DEAL.. THE INTERIOR IS MINT!!

3" stainless SLP Loudmouth exhaust
    Y Pipe
    Pacesetter Headers
    SLP short throw shifter
    Carbon fiber cool air box
    Cross drilled rotors
    all the ls1 free mods are done
    Ram Stage 3 clutch.
    Patriot Stage Two Head & Cam pkg.
    LS6 style heads with 59cc combustion chambers, 225cc intake/83cc exhaust runners and 2.02" intake/1.57" exhaust valves. The cam has a 228°/224° duration at .050", .591"/.583" lift, 112° lobe separation and 2,000-7,000 RPM power band. You get a very noticeable idle and excellent midrange and top-end power.
    Ebach Pro Springs 1.75" Drop whith still having a very smoth ride (remember pro series) no bounce nice ride.
    V-Grove Plugs
    8mm wires.
    Car frame is tied. (due to T-Tops, giving the car reinforcement because of power)
    Factory GM Super Sport Wheels.
    Aftermarket Headunit
    Infiniti 6 speakers (so you can hear music over the car lol)
    Custom sub enclosure and 12" Sub

IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHAT YOU ARE BIDDING ON, PLEASE CALL.. YOU ARE ONLY BIDDING ON THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION, NOTHING ELSE.. THE REST IS JUST WHAT WAS ON THE CAR, if INTERESTED, PLEASE CALL. IT IS SHOWN TO SHOW THE OTHER MODS THAT HELPED PUT THE POWER DOWN TO THE WHEELS

WE WILL CONSIDER SHIPPING, BUT YOU WILL PAY FOR ANY ACTUAL COSTS AND ARRANGE SHIPIPNG YOURSELF. OTHERWISE, PICK UP ONLY!!

My Cars
    1995 Cosmos LS1 M3
    So you bought a motor/tranny, and posted nothing more than an ebay auction...

Well, congrats on the buy I guess. I have the same heads on my LS, but with a much bigger cam. Yours should be a nice DD.

Now all you need to do for now is to post pics of your car, and start the process of ripping shit out of the BMW!
    NEW HEART

If you can't see the future, then you're not driving fast enough

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Seriously....

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggsM3 View Post
    So you bought a motor/tranny, and posted nothing more than an ebay auction...

Well, congrats on the buy I guess. I have the same heads on my LS, but with a much bigger cam. Yours should be a nice DD.

Now all you need to do for now is to post pics of your car, and start the process of ripping shit out of the BMW!
    Fine I will post pics of the car its going into.
    The car is a 94 325is with a 3.91 LSD.

Last edited by Zander; 01-17-2010 at 12:51 AM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    reinforce that subframe!!!
    1994 325is - s50/zf trans/TRM chip/s52 headers/21.5lb injctrs/3.5 HFM/M3 brakes/billy sports/hr springs/reinforced subframe/camber plates/adj ctrl arms/3.15 LSD
    2004 Volvo s40 T5 - Daily
    2000 GMC k2500 5.7 - 33's/frame off resto'd
    1989 Chevrolet k2500 5.7 rclb

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst. View Post
    reinforce that subframe!!!
    already one step ahead of ya

Out of ze old

Tiny Update

Custom passenger side header spot welded together for now. Not going to start on the driver side till the motor and transmission mounts are done and the driveshaft is in.

Motor and tranny as you can see is sitting in the bay. Been working on the motor mounts and other little tid bits. Going to have a new driveshaft made by Northwest drivelines for about $315.

Got a long ways to go but we are getting there!
    Last edited by Zander; 08-28-2010 at 03:52 AM.

My Cars
    95e36,89toy,01sv650
    Sweet!
    NFA

My Cars
    Dakar M3, Silver 328
    Hey zander, I rode with you on the saint Helen drive. The Guy hitching rides and taking pictures. I really want to join this club in a few years, tell then we need to stay in touch. Exciting this swap is!

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Cool, another semi-local LSx conversion in the works.
    Between Tongboy, you, garretvs, myself, and BrainV8Z, (his to start once mines rolls out the shop), we have the start of a Pacific Northwest BMW LSx club.

Once my E36 LSx is done, time and finances permitting, I would love to do an E39 LSx/4L60E swap for my wife. She likes the E39 and giving it an infusion of torque from an LSx would make a nice daily commuter for her.

'97 Sedan, Cosmos Meconium, Click ME for the build thread.

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DGE95Ti View Post
    Hey zander, I rode with you on the saint Helen drive. The Guy hitching rides and taking pictures. I really want to join this club in a few years, tell then we need to stay in touch. Exciting this swap is!
    Hey no problem bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAAP View Post
    Cool, another semi-local LSx conversion in the works.
    Between Tongboy, you, garretvs, myself, and BrainV8Z, (his to start once mines rolls out the shop), we have the start of a Pacific Northwest BMW LSx club.

Once my E36 LSx is done, time and finances permitting, I would love to do an E39 LSx/4L60E swap for my wife. She likes the E39 and giving it an infusion of torque from an LSx would make a nice daily commuter for her.
    That would be awesome! It sucks that I am moving to Germany though.
    kind of

A couple pictures of the motor mounts.

I am going to try to take more pictures as work progresses. I forgot my camera yesterday so I had to use my shitty blackberry camera.

( Edit/Bump) Did a bit of work today

Motor sitting in the bay with some different angles.

one semi complete motor mount. Welds are a little rough looking but they are STRONG!!!

Pulled the motor back out and took the transmission off the bell housing to put on the new clutch lines. Also ripped out the transmission tunnel insulation to make room for the t56.

Going to try to finish the other motor mount tomorrow. Once we get these mounts made it is easy street from there minus the headers and steering shaft.

Mastermind of the project to the left (Jeff) and me to the right part shopping for a E30.
    Last edited by Zander; 08-30-2010 at 01:54 AM.

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    are you goin to have a/c? make sure to have your a/c compressor in hand i will have to build another mount as mines was to far forward and i did not have a compressor to mock up, so my bracket or compressor wont fit, but i'll do that later

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    cool, another one!

Have you checked for hood clearance issues? Your engine is a bit higher off the subframe than others I've seen

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    Quote Originally Posted by 357i View Post
    cool, another one!

Have you checked for hood clearance issues? Your engine is a bit higher off the subframe than others I've seen
    Thats because we had it jacked up a little bit. You can see the jack in the pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Good thread! Lets see some more header fab!
    That wont be for a good while. Still got alot of other stuff to do first.

My Cars
    95 M3 6.0 Litre
    nice to see another one done.

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    Relocated the ABS tonight. We cut of the old bracket and moved it to the power terminal area on the passenger side of the car. We also ran the new lines to that area too. I will try to get pictures tomorrow.

My Cars
    94e36,06fronty,9vfr/gsxr
    mig welds?

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    Quote Originally Posted by bamer02 View Post
    mig welds?
    Yes. From a POS Harbor freight mig welder.

My Cars
    94e36,06fronty,9vfr/gsxr
    POS but ive done wonders (prerunner bumper, sandrail frame and cage, other bumpers, sliders, etc.) with that 110v welder. lol! goodluck with the swap.

one suggestion though, try to do some sort of a stress test on the welds. try using a hammer or sledgehammer on the joints. just to be safe. that's just a habit i started to do ever since i started welding. no welding school/training for me just experience.

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    Quote Originally Posted by bamer02 View Post
    POS but ive done wonders (prerunner bumper, sandrail frame and cage, other bumpers, sliders, etc.) with that 110v welder. lol! goodluck with the swap.

one suggestion though, try to do some sort of a stress test on the welds. try using a hammer or sledgehammer on the joints. just to be safe. that's just a habit i started to do ever since i started welding. no welding school/training for me just experience.
    I stood on top of one of the mounts jumped up and down ( I weigh 200 lbs) and it didnt even phase them. I think I am going to pick up a new welder for myself tomorrow.

Edit: More pics

One motor mount finished.

Practically finished tranny mount

Relocated ABS by battery terminal area on passenger side

Ran some of the lines

Made the hole bigger for the shifter

Completed half of the other motor mount

Strong ass welds

Dont know what we are going to do for tomorrow. Will update later.

(((Update)))

Finished running the brake and fuel lines and stabbed the motor back into the car for hopefully the last time. Still got to finish the last motor mount and hopefully we will have that done tomorrow finally. The car is coming together very very quickly and expect to have it completed by the end of the month.
    On some other notes I finally overcame my laziness and installed some vaders I ordered about 5 or so months back and ripped out most of my old interior.
    I also ordered the parts to make the steering shaft with along with a
    UUC big brake kit, UUC Sway bars, and Bilstein shocks.
    The sooner I get that stuff the sooner I can put my suspension back together.
    After the motor mounts are completed I will remeasure how long the new drive shaft needs to be and get that made.

Update!

Last motor mount almost finished.

Engine in for good this time hopefully!

Also ripped off all my brake rotors and shocks today. Waiting for the new parts to come in. Going to get measurements for the drive shaft tomorrow and paint the last mount + other things here and there.
    Last edited by Zander; 09-06-2010 at 03:37 AM.

My Cars
    Dakar M3, Silver 328
    Zander, you can buy prefabed high quality engine/tranny mounting kits, imo you would be better off with that to ssecureing your investment.

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DGE95Ti View Post
    Zander, you can buy prefabed high quality engine/tranny mounting kits, imo you would be better off with that to ssecureing your investment.
    hmmm little to late for that. I am pretty sure the mounts we made will be fine and that the design of them is good.

My Cars
    '15 JKU, '12 Clubman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Zander View Post
    hmmm little to late for that. I am pretty sure the mounts we made will be fine and that the design of them is good.
    yeah....but your welds are not. those mounts ARE going to fail you.

Your 200lb body jumping up and down on it are nothing compared to 420ft lbs of torque(or did you say HP?) either way, if you plan on driving this car seriously those mounts are not going to hold for too long.
    Last edited by ThirteenthCurve; 09-06-2010 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 turbo 93 325is
    I have to agree with ThirteenthCurve. I've been a structural welder for the last 5 years and those welds WILL fail. Next time you have the engine and trans out I would pull those mounts and grind the welds down, and either get your machine/technique right or get someone to put a proper bead on those suckers. Do some searching on the web regarding welding, or better yet find someone local to help you learn. I have a long way to go learning about welding, but I have also learned a lot from people I've worked with.

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirteenthCurve View Post
    yeah....but your welds are not. those mounts ARE going to fail you.

Your 200lb body jumping up and down on it are nothing compared to 420ft lbs of torque(or did you say HP?) either way, if you plan on driving this car seriously those mounts are not going to hold for too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by mainuh325is View Post
    I have to agree with ThirteenthCurve. I've been a structural welder for the last 5 years and those welds WILL fail. Next time you have the engine and trans out I would pull those mounts and grind the welds down, and either get your machine/technique right or get someone to put a proper bead on those suckers. Do some searching on the web regarding welding, or better yet find someone local to help you learn. I have a long way to go learning about welding, but I have also learned a lot from people I've worked with.
    Will definitely take your advice into consideration.

Finished up the tranny mount

got the measurements for the new driveshaft.

New vadars put in.

shifter done

Motor as is with the mounts on.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast