Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The BMW DIY tool thread

My Cars
    are slow.

Post The BMW DIY tool thread

There are lots of tools that BMW specially specs out for removal, or installation purposes. Most of these tools are really expensive, and some are even hard to get a hold of... I know a lot of people on here are college students and don't have the financial income to buy some of these expensive tools, or some people are just simply too cheap.....

First off, if anyone doesn't have a Bentley manual yet, and/or a Haynes manual I recomend you stop what your doing, and go buy one, or better yet both!

Anyway, here is my list so far of some tools that I have made:

1)Rtab removal with nothing more than a flat head screw driver and a nice 5lb metal hammer.

2)Upper timing chain locking tool:
    Thick paper clip (regular paper clips will not work) - A small piece of tig wire works well here.

3)Flywheel locking tool:

I followed the Haynes manual, they listed this in the book (you have the book in front of you right now right??...)

On the Haynes manual they list the flywheel tools as nothing more than a stud which measures 8mm on the tip for 40mm, and then the rest which rests on the outside of the engine exposed, as 10mm, and just is used so there is a place to pull the pin. I us 1/4" socket wrench extension, it seemed to work just fine on the M52 i have up on the stand, and worked perfectly so far for my HG install on the S52!

4)Cylinder Head bolt removal:

As far as the head bolt removing... Some people were stuck on getting some 12-point sockets and just cutting them down until they fit, im not a huge fan on destroying perfectly good tools..... So a quick trip to Harbor Freight found me this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-Pc-1...Set-67898.html

7 Pc 1/4 in, 3/8 in. Drive Impact E-Socket Set Item#67898

The height won't be an issue as there is plenty of clearance when i measured the distance between the cams/bolts/socket.

so this works out perfectly:

The kit only cost me $10 at harbor freight, less with one of their coupons.

5)For the Cam locking tool:

I followed this from the Haynes manual (again, go buy one!! will be a lifesaver! Though be aware some of the sequences and torque numbers are slightly off.)

camshafttool.jpg
    https://imgur.com/a/PIKaOLH

Or follow vincedahl's post and do this:
    3.jpg

4.jpg

6)Fan clutch removal:

This is likely worth purchasing unless you happen to have the steel laying around. For $15 you can buy it on eBay or Amazon, and the 32mm wrench for fairly cheap as well. I use the ARES 70074 and I honestly think it's one of the best quality 32mm wrenches you can find for this job. The cheap $15-$20 options absolutely suck, and they will fail. Spend the few dollars here. The 32mm wrench also doubles as a VANOS solenoid wrench.

Just use some 1/8" steel, or something similar for building material:

Fan tool.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/sZs1D6f

7) Rigs for holding the lifters so they don't fall out. If you're doing a head gasket or removing the cam trays for any reason, these are absolutely amazing to have. I can't stress enough on great these are.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-removal-tools

Helps support a great guy too.

Hope this list helps a few people out.

Last edited by Hova; 08-22-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Subscribed!

And I have Bentley, Haynes, and the TIS. And every time I work on it, it's an excuse to add a few more tools to my rollaways!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by JETninja View Post
    Subscribed!

And I have Bentley, Haynes, and the TIS.
    And every time I work on it, it's an excuse to add a few more tools to my rollaways!
    Knowledge is power.

yeah i've noticed my tool boxes filling up pretty quickly... At a rate very similar to my wallet deflating though
    Last edited by Hova; 01-04-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    I HAD all 5 of the detent tools (custom made, bought here on BFC) but when I shipped them to a friend to use, UPS lost all of them
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    M3/4/5, 85 yota 4x4
    this is perfect timing, thank you!

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    I HAD all 5 of the detent tools (custom made, bought here on BFC) but when I shipped them to a friend to use, UPS lost all of them

For the ZF tranny?

If i ever have a ZF tranny again ill make not of that and make the tools for that.... I'll post it up when i get a ZF for my E30 build.
    Last edited by Hova; 01-04-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    E36
    This is awesome, Hova!!

I know i managed a fan removal tool with a little less machining, but yours looks great!
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '97 Arctic Silver M3
    This forum needs more people like you, you can find a little of this by searching , but kudos to you for all this. bookmarked.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    You know it's bad when you can finally justify yourself buying a GT1, just because... To go along with the engine tools, brake line pressure tester, suspension bushing tools, compression/leakdown tools, full color fibre optic internal inspection camera, spring compressors, a special Koni front strut nut socket, transmission jack, and a lift...
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    97 //M3/4/5 & 99 //M3/C
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post

1)Rtab removal with nothing more than a flat head screw driver and a nice 5lb metal hammer.

How the heck did you get RTAB's out with a hammer and a screwdriver? Mine gave an incredible fight. Nearly stripped out the threads on the tool I was using!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alanilil View Post
    How the heck did you get RTAB's out with a hammer and a screwdriver? Mine gave an incredible fight. Nearly stripped out the threads on the tool I was using!
    Hammer and dig; not the way I did it, but saves money.
    As far as special tools, they are created with a need in mind.

Bravo to Hova for the initiative to make his own.
    Most of the time, I'll do a substitution, but as far as fasteners, always use the right wrench or socket.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    99 M3-92 Mtech2-Cummins
    nice guys....

i use a 32mm park tool bicycle headset tool for the fan. not custom, just the easiest way to get a 32mm wrench. every bike store sells one.

diff bolt tool is another good one. just cut down a cheap allen wrench.

current = '99 Estoril/Mulberry M3 Coupe :: past = '97 Alpine/Anthrazit M3 Coupe

My Cars
    M3/4/5, 85 yota 4x4
    for the diff tool i knocked the allen part out of the cheap socket i got at a local parts store and put a wrench on it, no cutting and took me all of 10 minutes to get the bolt out. for the fan i got a 1 1/4 wrench which is .009 smaller then 32mm, worked like a champ and cheaper then a special 32mm tool. monday i am going to use a water jet to cut out the cam lock tool and use a small lathe to make the pin.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    this is awesome... and to think i was about to drop $175 on 6 tools on ebay.... thanks man..
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Nice thread.... I made my own head/cam lock tool from my haynes manual too! I just used a think piece of aluminum and a jig saw.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    this is awesome... and to think i was about to drop $175 on 6 tools on ebay.... thanks man..

Quote Originally Posted by noshowe36 View Post
    for the diff tool i knocked the allen part out of the cheap socket i got at a local parts store and put a wrench on it, no cutting and took me all of 10 minutes to get the bolt out. for the fan i got a 1 1/4 wrench which is .009 smaller then 32mm, worked like a champ and cheaper then a special 32mm tool. monday i am going to use a water jet to cut out the cam lock tool and use a small lathe to make the pin.
    I just used an adjustable wrench. Worked like a champ.

Glad to see people are finding this usefull!
    Last edited by Hova; 01-15-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    '03 363iT
    Anyone have any sort of tolerances on the dimensions for the CAM lock?

About to waterjet one of these bad boys out of 5/16" stainless, and need to know just what I'm workin with...

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    For the ZF tranny?

If i ever have a ZF tranny again ill make not of that and make the tools for that.... Ill post it up when i get a ZF for my E30 build.
    yep

we are making another batch right now actually

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=307652
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    this is actually very useful
    -Rich-

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    nice writeup.

I3MW is offline /////////////////////////
    My Cars
    81 320i, 02 WRX
    Awesome, very helpful. Some of these I either have or have done without. The cam locking tool looks interesting, is there a thickness spec or just a known range? If only I could use the lathe at work for my own agenda...

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    1)Rtab removal with nothing more than a flat head screw driver and a nice 5lb [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]metal[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    hammer.

how exactly?
    -Rich-

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    A for creativity and effort, fail for using Harbor Freight tools. After all you indicated your dislike for using poor quality tools.

Buying a Bentley and making a fan clutch tool was your best ideas IMO.

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    +1, debating replacing mine. how would you reinstall them?

Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    1)Rtab removal with nothing more than a flat head screw driver and a nice 5lb [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]metal[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    hammer.

how exactly?

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 930 View Post
    A for creativity and effort, fail for using Harbor Freight tools. After all you indicated your dislike for using poor quality tools.

Buying a Bentley and making a fan clutch tool was your best ideas IMO.
    sometimes Harbor Freight is more than good enough and actually borderline excellent...... see Aluminum Racing Jack, impact sockets, extensions. u-joints brake service tools, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by BMWMPow3r View Post
    how would you reinstall them?

powerflex. It's a 2-piece that easily goes in by hand
    Last edited by das borgen; 02-26-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Rich-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast