Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: key E39 problem

My Cars
    E39

key E39 problem

Hello ,i'm from Romania and i have a problem with my key ,i really need your help ....
    about 6 days ago some water droped on the key , but i opened it and i removed all the water and i put it near to a heater to dry ,
    and the battery was dead ofcourse , and when i put a new battery , the red light on the key is working , and i can start the engine ,
    but i can not unlock and lock the doors by the button on the key so i don't know what to do , is it broke ? ... i have an E39 520I , and the key is in the image below number 4 i have two and both not working the first one is not working since i bought the car , but the second one is the problem .
    P.S : when it was working , it was working only from a near distance to the car . about 1,5 meters and i've changed the battery a lot of time ... so I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP ,
    Thanks .

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Welcome to Bimmerforums

Quote Originally Posted by zno View Post
    Hello ,i'm from Romania and i have a problem with my key ,i really need your help ....
    about 6 days ago some water droped on the key , but i opened it and i removed all the water and i put it near to a heater to dry ,
    and the battery was dead ofcourse , and when i put a new battery , the red light on the key is working , and i can start the engine ,
    but i can not unlock and lock the doors by the button on the key so i don't know what to do , is it broke ? ... i have an E39 520I , and the key is in the image below number 4 i have two and both not working the first one is not working since i bought the car , but the second one is the problem .
    P.S : when it was working , it was working only from a near distance to the car . about 1,5 meters and i've changed the battery a lot of time ... so I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP ,
    Thanks .
    Try reinitializing the key.
    How do I program a BMW key?
    Edit: Fixed info thanks to Q!!! Use the 3rd procedure as per Q's info in post #3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7;
    The 1st pic below is the instructions for the old style (rubber head) key, the 2nd pic below is the instructions for the new style (diamond shaped) key & the 3rd pic is for the 2 button IR (infrared) keys that are not used here in the USA:

Last edited by jamesdc4; 01-12-2010 at 05:24 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    This should be easy...when you removed the battery (for longer than 60 seconds) the key losts its programming.

All you need to do is follow the instructions for reprogramming the IR (infrared) type key. I don't have instructions for the e39 IR key (we don't have this system here in the STATES...we use the RF (radio frequency) 3-button remote keys) ...but the procedure is similar to the IR systems that were used in the e34 & e32 here.

Just find the IR receiver which will either be in the "clown nose" under the rear view mirror...or somewhere on your dash. It all depends on where this IR receiver is located...and that's where you hold your key close to when it gets to that step in the instructions.

Follow EVERY step of the instructions...DO NOT skip or jump over any steps:

(don't skip 1st step: LOCK/UNLOCK the car "manually" using one of the remote key by inserting it into the door lock cylinder)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-12-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E39
    so i have to go to the car and then unlock the door with the key and then go inside the car close all doors and start all the reintialization right ?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by zno View Post
    so i have to go to the car and then unlock the door with the key and then go inside the car close all doors and start all the reintialization right ?
    yes...you need to initiate the central locking system (by locking/unlocking it)...then begin the process after getting into the car and CLOSING the door. Make sure you have all your other remote keys with you because you will need to reprogram them during the same session...BUT...do NOT insert the 2nd or other keys into the ignition...begin the 2nd keys on like step 3 or 4 (where you are told to press the buttons).

And know what the ignition position are:
    • Off
    • position 1 = KL R (limited components turn on)
    • position 2 = KL 15 (all the accessories turn on)
    • position 3 = KL 30 (where the key returns to after starting)
    • position 4 = KL 50 (start)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-12-2010 at 04:47 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    E39
    ok , i'll try it tomorrow and i will tell you what happened because i've tried a lot of times but not this one but the one with radio frequencie .
    Thank you so much for helping me .

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    to Qsilver7!!!

My Cars
    1998/528i-2007fj-CJ5
    qsilver7, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!

My Cars
    E39
    i wanna thank tou so much , i've tried every thing since a year and a half , and nothing , even the BMW dealers didn't know the problem and told me to buy a new one { 200 Euro } , and i didn't , you are the best .
    thank you man .

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Great! Glad that you found a procedure that works for your application.

My Cars
    BMW 325i Coupe 1993 e36
    Qsilver7, tell me please, do I have to wait till the end flashing the led on my key, after 3 step, before I should press one of the two buttons?

Sorry my English!

My Cars
    00' M5 | 06' 330i 6 Spd
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzle View Post
    Qsilver7, tell me please, do I have to wait till the end flashing the led on my key, after 3 step, before I should press one of the two buttons?

Sorry my English!
    No, just press one of the buttons while holding the unlock button.

My Cars
    BMW 325i Coupe 1993 e36
    I mean this step: "- While the LED is flashing , hold the transmitter close to the receiver under the inside mirror (at a distance no more than approx. 15 cm) and press one of the two buttons."
    Do I have to wait till the end flashing the led on my key before I should press one of the two buttons?

My Cars
    BMW 325i Coupe 1993 e36
    is there anybody here?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I mean this step: "- While the LED is flashing , hold the transmitter close to the receiver under the inside mirror (at a distance no more than approx. 15 cm) and press one of the two buttons."
    Do I have to wait till the end flashing the led on my key before I should press one of the two buttons?
    If your key has 3 buttons...you are following the WRONG instructions.

If your key only has 2 buttons...then no, do not wait...press either of the two buttons WHILE (when or during the time) the LED is flashing.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-10-2010 at 04:41 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 325i Coupe 1993 e36
    Thanks a lot Qsilver7

My Cars
    BMW 325i Coupe 1993 e36
    Thanks a lot

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I hope it works out okay for you.

My Cars
    BMW 325i Coupe 1993 e36
    how do you think, does it has to work with BMW 325i? 1993, e36

I have the early 2-button IR remote key, after I programmed my key, my car didnt give me any confirmation ( didnt lock and unlock)
    Last edited by muzzle; 12-11-2010 at 03:15 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 wagon
    I've a question about the reinitialization process...

I have a three button key that had a dead battery. I've replaced the battery and am trying to get that key reinitialized. The first step of the process says to use the remote to unlock the door. Does the key that I use for this (my good one) need to be the one that goes into the ignition?

I've been using my good key to unlock the door, but when I get into the car and close te door, I am putting the key with the new battery into the ignition and going from there, but it's not working. There is no lock/unlock confirmation from the car at the end of the process (turn to ignition position 1 and then back to 0. press and hold button 2. press button 1 three times. release button 2.)

Any ideas?

thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by onsight512; 12-11-2010 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    1995 750iL Highl. (Jap.)

Is the red 'alarm led' on dash IR receiver?

On my 'Japanese' (with left steering) 750iL '95 there is no 'red nose' on the mirror, so where to look for, for the IR key remote receiver? On the dash is a small red 'alarm led' although (as far as I know) Japan BMW cars do not have (standard) alarms (never get stolen?) and that little red bulb lights up for a few seconds after locking up, is that the key remote IR receiver? (my 1st remote key worked perfectly until I tried to initialize the 2nd remote key as well, now both do not remote..)
    Thanx!
    WK

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If you have MORE THAN one remote key...as it states in the instructions (which again, must be followed to the "T"...do NOT skip, combine, or fudge a step). ALL keys must be programmed in the same session. Programming only one of multiple remote keys you possess will cause the other keys NOT to work.

If you are using one key to initiate the central locking system (as stated in instructions for the NEW style diamond shaped key)...use that key FIRST to start reinitializing...then initialize the 2nd key...but DO NOT STICK IT INTO THE IGNITION...start the 2nd (and other keys) on the step where you start pressing the buttons (just as it states in ALL 3 instructions for each type of key).

The new style keys asks to initiate the central locking system due to that key having key memory features (the other keys do not have these key memory features). So especially if your keys have been programmed for seat/steering wheel/mirror/HVAC memory settings...initiating the central locking system has already recognized WHICH key is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Karotten View Post
    On my 'Japanese' (with left steering) 750iL '95 there is no 'red nose' on the mirror, so where to look for, for the IR key remote receiver? On the dash is a small red 'alarm led' although (as far as I know) Japan BMW cars do not have (standard) alarms (never get stolen?) and that little red bulb lights up for a few seconds after locking up, is that the key remote IR receiver? (my 1st remote key worked perfectly until I tried to initialize the 2nd remote key as well, now both do not remote..)
    Thanx!
    WK
    Hmm, that is interesting. Since we didn't have anything like that on the e38s imported here...it would only be a guess. But the e32 7 series had a IR keyless entry system with the red LED on the dash (not on the mirror)...and I do believe that the remote was supposed to be put next to the red LED on the dash of the e32.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-13-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 750iL Highl. (Jap.)
    Thanks, but I mean I have been trying all procedures I could find, in all steps and varied all possible 'fuzzy' interpretations while pointing close at the mirror until it was clear that this could not be the IR receptor and as the mirror bottom knob is solid black with an '0' and an '1' on it, so, looking further all procedures have passed again while pointing at the red 'alarm led bulb' on the dash and so far nothing happened like 'doors locking (and or) unlocking' as response...but it should work, as the first key worked perfectly before...

Anyone know what is the IR receptor in the '95 Japanese 750iL with IR key and no rain sensor? it has be to be there somewhere, don't it?

Cheers!
    WK

My Cars
    BMW 325i Coupe 1993 e36
    Ignore muzzle?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Ignore muzzle?
    No, not ignoring you...but I've never owned an e36..my answers/suggestions are for the e38 or e39.

Do they answer your questions on the e36 forum?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast