Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Started on the top end tear down - new head gasket w o-ringed block

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II

Started on the top end tear down - new head gasket w o-ringed block

Hey guys,
    my MLS from the original TT stg II kit seemed to let go somewhere in the cyl 5 or 6 area...not sure yet, we'll see.

I'm going to keep this thread active to post questions etc on my progress, i'm sure I'll have many!

Started tonight on the tear down and made some pretty good progress! This is starting to get more routine on this car for me which is nice. I'm about to venture into new territory for me so this will get interesting.

Using my little waterprooof digi instead of my big Nikon so the pics are not nearly as clear , I'll bring the Nikon for the next work session.

Exhaust manifold, turbo, and downpipe w/ wastegate are out. as you can see the car has leaking/weeping oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Both will be addressed before the car is back on the road. Also going to pull the tranny and rebuild the shift pins, I believe they are causing the tranny to feel really sloppy while in gear.

exhaust mani

dont see any leaks on these gaskets but the damned wastegate pipe is leaking again. I'll have both flanges decked when the head is decked to assure a clean/flat surface.

Turbo is out

Coolant leaking at cyl 6

getting ready for the top end tear down....best work light ever

Valve cover is off, things look good up here to me but i'm no expert. No sludge or metal shavings. There is a little wear on the cam lobes but doesnt look bad to me for 86k miles....what do you think??

s52 intake mani is off thank god, what a mess!!!

Intake on cyl 5 and 6

cyl 6

some sludge from excessive turbo oil blow by....blown seals ftl

where I left it for tonight, vanos cover ready to come off and timing going to be locked in....this is where the new territory starts for me

Last edited by Sniz; 01-11-2010 at 10:21 PM.

My Cars
    Hosed 97' 328i
    I hope all goes well! Can't wait to see videos of it back on the road!!!

HARD PARKER
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesmechanical View Post
    It is different, it is a bit controversial, but if you know your stuff, it doesn't look cheap. "riceier" things happen much more often around here with german parts..

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Nice! Glad to see you are getting around to sealing her up and making big power! So you are going to o-ring the block? Did you ever try re-torquing the head studs?
    Good luck!
    Last edited by futureroadracer; 08-21-2010 at 08:25 PM.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Very good start matt!!! I hope everything goes well. Just remember to label all the bolts in little individual baggies. It will make everything go back together easier.
    Last edited by BadBoostedBmwM3; 01-11-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Quote Originally Posted by HKWe36 View Post
    I hope all goes well! Can't wait to see videos of it back on the road!!!
    thanks! me too

Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Nice! Glad to see you are getting around to sealing here up and making big power! So you are going to o-ring the block? Did you ever try re-torquing the head studs?
    Good luck!
    I did not try re-torquing the head studs, if that is the problem i'm going to kick myself in the nuts....twice

I want the upgraded head studs and 0-ring in there anyway. Yup going to o-ring the block.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Very good start matt!!! I hope everything goes well. Just remember to label all the bolts in little individual baggies. It will make everything go back together easier.
    each bag has a little inventory written on it

labeling all the connectors and hoses i'm pulling off w painters tape too
    Last edited by Sniz; 01-11-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Uncharted territory is exciting.
    Fearless... and photographing.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
    thanks! me too

I did not try re-torquing the head studs, if that is the problem i'm going to kick myself in the nuts....twice

I want the upgraded head studs and 0-ring in there anyway. Yup going to o-ring the block.

each bag has a little inventory written on it

labeling all the connectors and hoses i'm pulling off w painters tape too
    You are on top of it then, Matt!!!
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Quote Originally Posted by milKT View Post
    Uncharted territory is exciting.
    Fearless... and photographing.
    that way you all can tell me i'm an idiot when i do something wrong

helps me not do it again

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Good progress Matt. Do you have a copy of TIS, or the TIS articles for head and VANOS R&R? If not, shoot me your email address via PM and you'll have them when I get home from school. Its way better than any of the guides online.. The M3 Forum Vanos guide tells you that the motor rotates CCW, and Pelican Parts forgets to tell the reader to verify timing. Costly errors.

Let me know how the shift pin repair goes, tho I might end up doing mine first if things go quickly for me. Doubtful that I'll have it done before the end of next month tho.

Good luck sir!

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    that way you all can tell me i'm an idiot when i do something wrong

helps me not do it again
    We won't need to
    because the visual trail
    will allow you to see where you were
    and whats next
    (or was supposed to go next.)

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Glad your doing this write up sniz as i need to see it done so I can do mine. Take as many pics as possible.Good luck on your road to success.

Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Good progress Matt. Do you have a copy of TIS, or the TIS articles for head and VANOS R&R? If not, shoot me your email address via PM and you'll have them when I get home from school. Its way better than any of the guides online.. The M3 Forum Vanos guide tells you that the motor rotates CCW, and Pelican Parts forgets to tell the reader to verify timing. Costly errors.

Let me know how the shift pin repair goes, tho I might end up doing mine first if things go quickly for me. Doubtful that I'll have it done before the end of next month tho.

Good luck sir!
    Hey do you think you can shoot me a copy of that same Tis?
    Last edited by boosted 528; 01-11-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D
    So you're sending your turbo to Forced Performance for the HTA GT3586R rebuild while it's off the car, right?!?!?

Good luck with everything, she'll be right with that new gasket and oring.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by badluckm3 View Post
    so you're sending your turbo to forced performance for the hta gt3586r rebuild while it's off the car, right?!?!?

good luck with everything, she'll be right with that new gasket and oring.

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Quote Originally Posted by badluckM3 View Post
    So you're sending your turbo to Forced Performance for the HTA GT3586R rebuild while it's off the car, right?!?!?

Good luck with everything, she'll be right with that new gasket and oring.
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Lol!

dont think it hasnt crossed my mind

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D
    dont think it hasnt crossed my mind
    That's my Stg2 right there. I haven't had anything catastrophic like what you're experiencing to push me to do it yet though.

DO IT!!!

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    That's my Stg2 right there. I haven't had anything catastrophic like what you're experiencing to push me to do it yet though.

DO IT!!!
    I need new seals put in my 35r before it goes back in, if the cost of the HTA w seals isnt outrageous vs just the seals I may just move forward. I'll report back.

an HTA 35r w meth and proper tune would fantastic I think.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I need new seals put in my 35r before it goes back in, if the cost of the HTA w seals isnt outrageous vs just the seals I may just move forward. I'll report back.

I would do whatever gets your car back on the road faster.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D

Just a little more food for thought, I emailed Forced Performance a few months ago to inquire about the 2 upgrade paths they have for the 35R. Here's their response to the differences:

The HTA 82 upgrade and 86 HTA upgrade for the 35r both upgrade the compressor (cold side) wheel and compressor housing of your current turbo.
    The turbine wheel and housing are left alone.

The 82 HTA is similarly sized to the stock compressor wheel but offers faster spool than the stock counterpart while providing an additional 50-70 hp over the stock wheel at higher pressure ratios.

The 86 HTA offers slightly slower spool than the stock wheel but provides an additional 125-150 hp over the stock turbo at higher pressure ratios.
    And I think the upgrade is in the ~$600 range.

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Just a little more food for thought, I emailed Forced Performance a few months ago to inquire about the 2 upgrade paths they have for the 35R. Here's their response to the differences:

And I think the upgrade is in the ~$600 range.
    I wonder what they consider higher pressure ratios. I doubt I'll be pushing over 18-20psi so if it does not give you a gain in that range it wont be worth it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    I would do whatever gets your car back on the road faster.

agreed, but since i'm doing the oil pan and pulling the tranny to do some work on it the car will be on the lift for at least several weeks. I'm doing all the work myself on my free time, which is very limited these days
    Last edited by Sniz; 01-12-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '99 M3
    good to see that you're finnally getting a chance to take care of this stuff. have you thought of swapping in a M50 manifold while you have the S52 one off?
    Last edited by wushucivic; 01-12-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I vote for DI mani...
    Jimmy
    Technique Tuning Stage 2 on 9:1 built motor(SOLD)
    Boost Addiction Support Group Member
    Official "My Wife is Awesome" Club Member
    Just an idiot with a wrench...

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    I'm doing all the work myself on my free time

One of my fav things about this forum...it inspires guys like me to take on projects outside their comfort zone.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    Hey do you think you can shoot me a copy of that same Tis?
    PM me your email address.

Wait, I thought you already got your turbo rebuilt?
    agreed, but since i'm doing the oil pan and pulling the tranny to do some work on it the car will be on the lift for at least several weeks. I'm doing all the work myself on my free time, which is very limited these days
    Hang tight. You're dropping the tranny, oil pan, and head? You could have had the motor out, trans off, and motor on the stand in the amount of time it took to pull the turbo and intake manifold in car! Plus it would be worlds easier to oring out of car.

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    You're dropping the tranny, oil pan, and head? You could have had the motor out, trans off, and motor on the stand in the amount of time it took to pull the turbo and intake manifold in car! Plus it would be worlds easier to oring out of car.
    Not to mention you have access to a lift I see in pics, and dropping everything from the bottom is even faster.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Not to mention you have access to a lift I see in pics, and dropping everything from the bottom is even faster.
    Good point. Tho on stands removing a motor is under 4 hours. On a lift its around 2-3 if you aren't rushing it.

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast