Thread: ABS Codes

My Cars
    '93 E36 318IS

ABS Codes

Got a Snap-on MT2500 recently which I tried out on the car and spotted the Anti-Lock Braking System was throwing some codes.

17 Inlet Valve FL or power supply
    100 Speed Sensor RL Wrong Signal

From checking http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...w_abs_problems I can see that code 100 is a known issue due to defective solder on the rear speed sensors, so depending on the date on the part (0801) I may need to replace both rear speed sensors.

I think I've traced where to look via the bentley manual, but can't find them on www.realoem.com so that I have a part number to give when ordering the part from BMW, anyone know what else they might be referred to as?

As for the other code referencing the "inlet valve FL or power supply", any suggests as to what that's referring to?

My Cars
    '93 E36 318IS
    Found the speed sensor thingy, apparently it's called an "ABS Pulse generator" by BMW.

Now just need to find out what the "inlet valve FL or power supply", FL refers to front left, so just what would be the inlet valve in reference to the ABS?

My Cars
    95 M3
    so any luck im having same code on my M3 (17 inlet valve front left or power supply)

My Cars
    '93 E36 318IS
    Cleaned off all the speed sensors and the areas around them, reset the codes and since then, no sign of either of them being back again. Can understand dirt and debris being responsible for the 100 code.

No idea what was the underlying cause of the 17 code, unless it was some problem with the power from the battery as I also ended up replacing that.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You can get lots of odd codes on the ABS system. Letting the battery run low is a common source. Sometimes they are just old codes that never go cleared. That 17 code sounds like a low voltage issue too. Clear them all and start from scratch.

If that code 17 keeps comming back I'm betting its the ribbon cable on the ABS Pump.Its a known issue and causes lots of codes to be thrown. There are some DIY's on this issue. Good luck if you have to replace the pump. BMW used at least 5 different ABS pumps depending on model and year. You have to have an exact match on the part number of the old unit.

I've got an MT2500 too. One of the best $300 I ever spent on this car.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 03-03-2012 at 08:37 AM.