Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on how to repair seat bolster

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C

Opinions on how to repair seat bolster

I have posted in the detailing forum as well but looking for opinions from Z learned/experienced

I am trying to decide how to best restore the seats on my 2002 M Coupe with 76k miles. It has the two-tone Black/LSB interior. It was a rare installation; only 73 cars were produced with this interior combination. The driver's seat bolster as we all know is a common wear item. I have contacted Leatherique for their opinion as to whether the current bolster can be repaired/restored and have sent them a swatch to match the LSB dye. There are two small holes near the stitching which I hope is visible in the photos. I have found that a new seat back cover can be ordered from Germany for about $800 (the seat cover where your rear sits is $650) Just looking for some more experienced opinions as to whether I should bother trying to repair the current seat or just bite the bullet and order a new cover. Thanks

Kelvin

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    Since it seems like there's holes in the covering already I don't think you'll have good results restoring them. I would suggest getting a new cover.
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    M E36/7 325Ci .:R32
    Check this out already....
    http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21648

http://leder-pflege.zett-eins.de
    http://leder-pflege.zett-eins.de/catalog/

The website has a whole lot of restoration products and perfect colour match. They have leather glue and liquid leather to fill holes, sand back then colour. They do Laguna Seca Blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by knievil; 01-06-2010 at 02:02 AM.

My Cars
    2016 535i
    I am pretty amazed that my seats in my 1999 M Coupe with 112k miles don't look as bad as yours and many other members' seats.
    I wish I could point you in the right direction but I haven't the need to explore the options yet. Are BMW dealers not helpful?

-OG

My Cars
    Z3
    I've just done a refurb using the products referred to by knievil at http://leder-pflege.zett-eins.de/ My restore thread is in my journal here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=18329423

To save you having to read through all of that these are the 'before' and 'after' pics:

Judging from your pics I think that you'll get some good results with the leder-pflege product. It won't be perfect but it will be a massive improvement. You could also consider swapping your coupe seats over (i.e. put the unworn passenger seat in the driver's position) so as to reduce wear on the refurbed driver's bolster - the procedure for this is explained in my journal too.
    Current...1998 ///M Coupe

Previous...1997 Z3 2.8

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    There are products on the market that will let you repair this, like mentioned in the posts above.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Have you considered a local upholstery shop? If not, talk to one in your area. They can order any type of leather and it will likely be cheaper than the $800 for the whole seatback. Just a suggestion...

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    '01 MCoupe '02 M3C/6
    Consider talking to the friendly used car (CPO) manager at your friendly dealership. There are travelling dudes (and perhaps dudettes) who do leather repair for dealerships, just like the Dent Drs do dents. Some of the work they do is really good, and they are experienced so less likely to bodge (tech-term) it up. Most used car managers will pass you on to one of these people if asked nicely, then you can setup a time to park your car at the dealer's for when they come around. They are usually somewhat cheaper if paid in CASH DOLLARS (worth more apparently.. Dent Dr's seem to work the same way.)

One general comment - any resurfacing of seats with the french-stitched seams (the ones with the rows of stitching on either side of the seam) will result in the french-seams being paint covered... and not quite looking like other seams in the car. That's usually why it's best to at least refinish both front seats if you're doing one. Make them look the same and it's not (too) noticeable.
    Don Eilenberger
    '01 M-Coupe, '03 525iaT, '07 R1200R
    '06 Porsche Cayenne S - Titanium Edition (Iceland silver/Titanium

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    I took a deep breath and ordered a new seatback cover from Germany. The LSB leather is getting increasingly difficult to find and since it was only installed on 73 cars, BMW will likely not make any more once their current supply is gone. My question now is, since the coupes do not have seatbelt guides, are there prepunched holes in the leather for them to be placed? The part number for the covers is the same for both driver and passenger seats as well as for coupe and roadster so I'm assuming there are no holes
    Kelvin

My Cars
    You truly love your car.....

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    The one thing to think about is that the passenger seat may now look old when you have a new driver's seat.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    and I would make sure you condition your new ones more regulary to stop this happening again

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Quote Originally Posted by knievil View Post
    You truly love your car.....
    Who here doesn't? The PO of my car restored everything else so pristinely I really wanted to get this issue addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by luciano136 View Post
    The one thing to think about is that the passenger seat may now look old when you have a new driver's seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonttt View Post
    and I would make sure you condition your new ones more regulary to stop this happening again
    I have the Leatherique products with swatch color-matched dye on order so refinishing should keep them close. My budget certainly couldn't handle ordering a pair of covers
    Kelvin

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI
    I've had very good results with Gliptone Liquid Leather:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...leather-t1404/

2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20) = Current
    2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200 AMG Line = Current

My Cars
    99 M-Coupe
    I need to do this too. My seats look pretty good but I want them to look new.

If I am correct, you can use this stuff on the steering wheel right?

Also, any recommendations for restoring color back in the center of the steering wheel (rubber air bag cover)?

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C

M Coupe seat re-skin

Finished the seat reskinning job this evening while watching NCAA hoops. Definitely a tedious job. It is nerve-racking to wrestle around with leather you know you paid too much for. I wore latex gloves while performing the work to minimize risk of damage to the leather. I tried to photo document the procedure but unless you're in there doing it, the pics don't make much sense. I decided to attach the anchoring straps with zip ties rather than hog rings; they worked quite well. I pulled the straps as tightly as I dared without tearing them but the leather still sits rather loosely over the padding. I suppose they will shrink a bit over time and will eventually match the nine year old passenger seat. I will be treating the latter with Leatherique in the near future (need it to be warm enough) to try to make them match better

Old Bolster

Stripped seat

Damaged seat pad

New seat pad on the left

Five hours later

Kelvin

My Cars
    Gotta do the other one now...

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    I've seen a couple of videos where techs used some kind of device (looked like a hair dryer) to make the new cover fit snug (shrink the leather? I honestly have no clue). Yours look great, but it almost looks like it is not quite snug on the seat, compared to passenger side. Have you looked into this?
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I love the look of that new leather. Did you replace both cushions or just the base?

My Cars
    02 m 367 & 99 m 368
    New leather is always dull. As it gets used it gets shiney, the seats may look more alike with time.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    congrats on finishing this project up. Looks good. I contemplated buying new leathers, but in the end, I just swapped the driver and passenger top leather portion. One day I'll pony up the money for new leather.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    I've seen a couple of videos where techs used some kind of device (looked like a hair dryer) to make the new cover fit snug (shrink the leather? I honestly have no clue). Yours look great, but it almost looks like it is not quite snug on the seat, compared to passenger side. Have you looked into this?
    The new leather is actually pretty snug. It just looks loose compared to the old seat. A heat gun will conceivably shrink the leather somewhat. I recall when I saw the new Z4 at Zfest (the car was just driven off the dealer lot) the new leather was somewhat "gathered" looking which is probably normal for new leather. I' think I'll just wait a while

Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    I love the look of that new leather. Did you replace both cushions or just the base?
    I did replace both the seat cover and the backrest cover but only the seat padding. The back padding was in decent condition. BTW thanks for your writeup. It was an invaluable roadmap
    Last edited by KBH22102; 06-12-2010 at 06:04 AM.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    good info here - added to my favorites
    2000 Z3 MCoupe, '01 LSB E46 M3, '99 GTI VR6, '06 Audi A4, Andrew '95 Avus M3

My Cars
    99 M Coupe 09 128i

Foam memory recovery

Too late to help here...Next time you can help old foam "regain" some if its memory by steaming the old foam before putting on new upholster. That might help fill in those wrinkled areas...

Either use one of those hand held steamers (ones you see for suits) or use your old iron (not the wife's good one) put it on steam mode and hold it about 1/2 inch away from the foam...It will help the foam "remember" its former dimensions...It is especially helpful in foam that has really been compressed over time. Just keep it away from glued edges and repairs.

Good looking seats...Still wishing I had two-tone seats in mine.
    Mods: Strong Front Strut & Butt Brace/Stewart Water Pump/Aluminum Thermostat Housing/Leather Z armrest/DICE Ipod Adapter/Sachs clutch/Rogue RSM/Bilstien HD Shocks/SS Brakelines/UCC Big Boy Clutch Stop/Shark Seat Bushings/AMSoil Fluids/SS Clutch line with CVD/Bosch spark plugs/ Bosch ICON wiper blades/OEM Mud Flaps/Black Stoneguards/BMW Sheepskin Seat Covers
    • 1999 M Coupe Arctic Silver/Black (Go-fast, fun car)
    • 2009 BMW 128i (Better halfs)
    • 2002 BMW Z3 3.0 (my DD)
    • 1965 Chevy C10 Stepside (Lifelong trusty companion)
    • 2006 X3 - M Sports Package (Boat tower)

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pangsterZ3 View Post
    I've had very good results with Gliptone Liquid Leather:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...leather-t1404/

Just refurbished a black leather interior I picked up for the Compact with Liquid Leather:

2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20) = Current
    2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200 AMG Line = Current

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast