Thread: plasti-dip

My Cars
    '03 525i Sport

plasti-dip

Is plasti-dip safe on paint?
    if i put it on and dont like it can i remove it and no harm be done to the paint?

My Cars
    E39 540i
    Where are you putting it?

My Cars
    '03 525i Sport
    I want to plasti-dip my roof to see if i like it before i paint it or put a carbon fiber vinyl

My Cars
    E39 540i
    I dont even know to tell you the truth...but I can advise you not to do something like that lol. I googled it just now and saw another post on a volkswagon forum where a guy plasti diped his grille. He said it started to peel and is very hard to get off. Some people referred him to a plastic safe paint stripper. LOL. So im guessing you shouldn't do it.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    its not hard to get off...just rub it and it comes off. it will take time though.

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    E39 540i
    You sure man? On the roof of the car? over paint? Isnt that thing for plastics only?

My Cars
    E39, E46M
    Just do the vinyl. If you don't like it, vinyl can be removed clean.

My Cars
    '03 525i Sport
    well the plasti-dip is a lot less than vinyl, and if i decide to do the vinyl i want it to be done right, which will cost a lot
    i think i might just try a small section tomorrow and see how it turns out, then leave it for a while, peel it off and see if there is any damage

anyways, the damage (if there is any) could prob be fixed with a good buffer

My Cars
    2003 525i
    In terms of, "how safe it is on paint" ... very.

"Is it reversible?" .... yes, all you do is peel it off.

"Is it reliable?" ... completely. I've Plasti-dipped my moldings and it's been almost a year. You wouldn't be able to tell that they have been Plasti-dipped. The stuff is very resilient.

It is not a good idea however to use it to black-out a roof. Ask me how I know.

Nvm, I'll show you:

The main reason as to why it won't work is because the cans are not designed to spray upside down and/or sideways. When the material inside the bottles starts to decrease, it does not spray in a uniform fashion anymore, and you will thus see an uneven pattern on the roof when the stuff dries. That is why I had to abort the operation. That was during Super Bowl Sunday last year btw, lol.

Here is the car with blackened moldings, via Plasti-dip, later on. Oh ya, I forgot to mention, my front Hamann spoiler used to be painted with regular flat black paint. After all the rock chips it looked like sh*t. That is when I discovered Plasti-dip and since then not one rock chip....well over a year:

Last edited by freethrowdunk; 01-03-2010 at 01:28 AM.

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    Yup its definitely safe on paint. There are many members who have it on their painted moldings and they took it off and it looks like its never been there. Some who have even done it to their wheels!

My Cars
    E39 540i
    wow well thats very informative . Thot it was safe on plastics and not paint. oh well =D

My Cars
    '03 525i Sport
    i have plasti-dipped my grilles and chrome molding but i was just wondering how it would be on paint, so thanks
    and i have a steep inclined driveway so i might give it a shot, or just try the paint on stuff

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    I did my front end on my jetta along with the rear emblem and it turned out great. My advice is just clean whatever area you want to do really well then spray away. the stuff is very durable and will come off when you need it to. When i took it off of my grill, i just went down to the local car wash and sprayed it off. Came off with no residue or anything.