My Cars
    Bmw x5 4.4i

Transmission Failsafe Program! help, bmw x5 4.4i 2002,

My car has about 59,000 miles on it and i have recently started getting errors about a Transmission Failsafe prog error, the car loses almost all power, i pull the car over, put my ebrake on, put it in park , take my key out and then turn it on and it goes away. The error only goes on when the car is sitting for more then 5-6 hours. My SES light also comes on and off when it pleases, Does anyone have any idea what this could be caused by? Im thinking that its a sensor or maybe one of the control modules, i havnt updated the car mods or software either, the car was sitting over the summer for about 7 months and didnt start to get the error till about 2 months ago. Any guesses on how much it would cost to change the modules, should i bring it in to BMW for them to diagnose the problem? please get back to me as soon as possible,

anyone have any idea? please get back to me, trying to resolve this asap,
    Last edited by Aradon5; 01-02-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1967 Camero RS
    it can be a bunch of things, do the smart thing and bring it to the dealer. $140 for diagnosis, is cheaper than throwing parts at the car. most likely the altnerator is failing.

My Cars
    Bmw x5 4.4i
    thanks for the reply, ill get it in asap,

My Cars
    2002 bmw x5 4.4
    its not the alternator? keep under 80 mph and drive it in sport mode. this should make it last a little longer. start looking for a transmission also. its gonna go out eventually.

My Cars
    Bmw x5 4.4i
    are you sure its the tranny? the error only goes on every once and awhile, if it was the tranny wouldnt the error be on constantly? i had a leak in the car from the sunroof my sister left it open a little when it was sitting, i dont hear any winding or clanking coming from the drive tran, and it wouldnt be the alternator if my car holds a charge correct? havnt had to jumpstart my car since i put the new battery in it,

My Cars
    BMW x5
    My bmw x5, year 2000. did that too about 6 months ago. the Trans.Failed Safe Prog. then my car completely died. now my bmw won't start. I took it to the dealer and they still can't find out what is the problem. and i have 150,000 miles on it. i did the diagnostic thing and that was no good. it's sitting in front of my house still. I'm about to bring it back to the dealer again and diagnose it again this week.

My Cars
    745Li, X5 4.6
    To the OP. Are you running the original battery? If so I would bet a new battery would fix your issue. I had some stereo work done on my car and connected to a constant power wire, which drained the battery. I jump started and car went into trans fail safe mode. Replaced with a new battery as my 02 X was sporting the original battery. No issue with the trans fail safe. BMW electronics are very sensitive when they are not getting exactly the right voltage.

As far as the tranny, it is true these go bad. Just had mine rebuilt at 72,000 for a cost of over $3,000.

I would recommend having your tranny fluid changed with the mileage you have. I know BMW says lifetime.
    Last edited by Hit Redline; 01-13-2010 at 10:04 PM.

My Cars
    Bmw x5 4.4i
    its been awhile since the tranny error went on, it seems to only go on when its below 30 degreese outside, so. im guessing the fluid doesnt do to well in the winter or what?

and to the above post, i replaced my battery and alternator because that winded up being sot as well, everything seems to be going well, other than the accident i got into this week with a guard rail which left my car un drivieable, they want 11,000$ to fix it at this body hop. 4,000 in labor and 7,000 in parts i can get everything for 3 and do it myself,
    Last edited by Aradon5; 03-01-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2005 X5 4.4i

2005 X5 4.4i

I started to get the DSC(4wheel Drive) warning light in the mornings over the past 3 days. Just so happens that I started parking my car outside this week. The warning light does not come on when I start the car in the afternoon which made me suspect the cold weather.

This morning, I received the transmission fail safe warning in addition to the DSC/4wheel drive warning light.

Do you think its purely the fluids not handling the cold weather and the sensors reacting to it? I have 52k miles and it was last fully serviced at 45k miles.

My Cars
    X5 2004

It was the alternator for me

The alternator was charging the battery too much and sending voltage faults to all the sensors, including Trans. Cost was 2100. Should buy a Chevy instead

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0
    I have an 2004 3.0 X5 and have had similar problems, and what I suspected turned out to be correct. It was a wiring harness problem inside the steering column - nothing more.

Every time my wife drove, she got the "Transmission Failsafe Program" displays, accompanied by service engine soon and other warnings (4x4). This caused most of the instruments to stop working or go haywire. It also resulted in loss of A/C and very rough shifting - if the car would shift into gear at all. I tinkered around to try and duplicate the problems; discovered it happened when the telescoping steering wheel was used to adjust for driver comfort, especially when extended to max out position and down position. This caused a wiring harness inside the column to partially disconnect and/or short. The lights would go out after returning the steering wheel to an upright and somewhat compressed position, ignition off, and restart 1 or more times.

We drove the car fine for 2 years without re-creating the problem, because we avoided using the telescoping steering wheel. Last week I decided to sell the car and had it brought to BMW to be fixed. Turns out my diagnosis was spot on... it was a wiring harness within the steering column.

The cost for repairs were 95% labor. They basically removed the steering column and replaced the wiring harness. The Tech stated that a few wires were "frayed" causing the short.

This may be your problem if you experience a similar set of circumstances. Next time you take your vehicle for smog or safety check, as the tech for the ODBC II readout of any fault codes stored in the computer. What I got were:

P0600 (Trans. Failsafe Prog)
    P1720 (Vehicle Speed (Meter) Circuit Malfunction)... this was result of losing RPM, speedometer, and other displays on the dash.

Total cost for repairs (including obligatory $140.00 troubleshooting fee) is about $650.00.

I strongly encourage any other BMW owners who've experienced this problem to write BMW Corporate and push the issue of a recall. This is an engineering flaw, not operator error or "normal" wear and tear. I will post results of my efforts to contact BMW for a refund.

Kevin Howard

My Cars
    2009 M3 coupe, X5D Sport
    Million thanks for that info. I recently played around with the electric steering adjustment which could have caused the problem. The fail safe transmission issue has not come back since the first time ir did it four weeks ago so will keep an eye on it.

One theory forwarded to me by mechanic in London was that if the voltage in the battery is low, the transmission can go in to fail safe mode. I've been having issues with starting which I thought was the battery but I put a new battery yesterday and it is still cranking a good few times before starting. I have to now figure out what is causing this problem.

Let us know what BMW say about the harness in wiring issue.

My Cars
    2005 BMW X5

new battery & still cranking loads b4 start

Hi guys, I have just purchased a 2005 BMW X5 3.0d and have a feeling the transmission is a gonner. Dgab, I am having the same issue (new battery but still cranking a lot before starting) did you get to the bottom of this and could you shed any light on it for me?

I don't know if its linked to my car going into failsafe mode which only seems to happen after I've given it a bit of pasty. When I drive REALLY carefully and tentatively, it doesn't go into failsafe mode but the gears do seem to jump around a bit in medium rev range and the box doesn't seem to know what its doing. The battery was replaced with a new (really expensive and decent) one 12 months ago but still drops to 9.6v when cranked so maybe an alternator problem?

ANY help and advice will be much appreciated. I really want to get the car fixed up and start to enjoy it, its the first BMW I've owned.

Cheers in advance

My Cars
    2009 M3 coupe, X5D Sport
    As for starting problem, it was the just the starter motor. Although my car does not do many miles, living in Djibouti small town means a lot starting so that must have affected it. My local mechanic opened it up and gave a real good clean and she is starting like new.

As for fail safe tranny issue, it is still doing and just like you described yours, it does it only when I floor it or kick down. Gentle driving is OK but I miss driving it like the old days which this superb torquey engine loves and one of the joys of owning the X5 diesel. My mechanic keeps saying to change the tranny oil and filter so tempted to do that now. My other option is to ship the car to Dubai for BMW stealership to check it out and having it serviced at the same time. It is five years since it has seen a BMW service centre as there are no dealers here in Djibouti.

My Cars
    2013 M3 Comp 6mt
    Quote Originally Posted by KEVHOWARD View Post
    I have an 2004 3.0 X5 and have had similar problems, and what I suspected turned out to be correct. It was a wiring harness problem inside the steering column - nothing more.

Every time my wife drove, she got the "Transmission Failsafe Program" displays, accompanied by service engine soon and other warnings (4x4). This caused most of the instruments to stop working or go haywire. It also resulted in loss of A/C and very rough shifting - if the car would shift into gear at all. I tinkered around to try and duplicate the problems; discovered it happened when the telescoping steering wheel was used to adjust for driver comfort, especially when extended to max out position and down position. This caused a wiring harness inside the column to partially disconnect and/or short. The lights would go out after returning the steering wheel to an upright and somewhat compressed position, ignition off, and restart 1 or more times.

We drove the car fine for 2 years without re-creating the problem, because we avoided using the telescoping steering wheel. Last week I decided to sell the car and had it brought to BMW to be fixed. Turns out my diagnosis was spot on... it was a wiring harness within the steering column.

The cost for repairs were 95% labor. They basically removed the steering column and replaced the wiring harness. The Tech stated that a few wires were "frayed" causing the short.

This may be your problem if you experience a similar set of circumstances. Next time you take your vehicle for smog or safety check, as the tech for the ODBC II readout of any fault codes stored in the computer. What I got were:

P0600 (Trans. Failsafe Prog)
    P1720 (Vehicle Speed (Meter) Circuit Malfunction)... this was result of losing RPM, speedometer, and other displays on the dash.

Total cost for repairs (including obligatory $140.00 troubleshooting fee) is about $650.00.

I strongly encourage any other BMW owners who've experienced this problem to write BMW Corporate and push the issue of a recall. This is an engineering flaw, not operator error or "normal" wear and tear. I will post results of my efforts to contact BMW for a refund.

Kevin Howard
    I stumbled on this post and I know it is older but, I recently bought a 2003 X5 4.4 and I am having the same problem with the trans fail/safe program light. It started on my way back from a long trip. I turned it off, fueled up and the light went off for 60 miles then came back on. However, my DSC, ABS, and Brake light came on days earlier to the TFSP light. I'm thinking it could be related. Two months ago, I replaced a dead battery with an interstate gel, trans fluid flush (new filter, gasket, fresh trans oil and bolts for pan), spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, oil change, power steering hoses, coolant expansion tank replacement. The car has been fine for months then it happened yesterday. It goes through the gears fine. It even goes through the gears fine when in trans safe mode. It just does it slowly with lack of power. I do use the telescoping steering feature quite often. I wonder if it is related? I am having the car looked over by my cousin who is tech for BMW. I will keep you posted.
    ///MLOVE
    1993 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    1995 M3 (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    1987 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    2001 M3 (Laguna Seca Blue) (sold)
    2004 X5 4.4 (Sapphire Black Metallic) (sold)
    1997 M3 Saloon (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    2003 X5 3.0 (Steel Gray Metallic)
    2013 M3 Competition (Lemans Blue Metallic)

My Cars
    2003 BMW X5 4.6is
    I stumbled on this post and I know it is older but, I recently bought a 2003 X5 4.4 and I am having the same problem with the trans fail/safe program light. It started on my way back from a long trip. I turned it off, fueled up and the light went off for 60 miles then came back on. However, my DSC, ABS, and Brake light came on days earlier to the TFSP light. I'm thinking it could be related. Two months ago, I replaced a dead battery with an interstate gel, [COLOR=red !important][COLOR=red !important]trans [COLOR=red !important]fluid[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] flush (new filter, gasket, fresh trans oil and bolts for pan), [COLOR=red !important][COLOR=red !important]spark [COLOR=red !important]plugs[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], [COLOR=red !important][COLOR=red !important]valve [COLOR=red !important]cover[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] gaskets, oil change, power steering hoses, coolant expansion tank replacement. The car has been fine for months then it happened yesterday. It goes through the gears fine. It even goes through the gears fine when in trans safe mode. It just does it slowly with lack of power. I do use the telescoping steering feature quite often. I wonder if it is related? I am having the car looked over by my cousin who is tech for BMW. I will keep you posted.

This just happened to my 03 x5 4.6. Brake, ABS, and Service Engine Soon lights were on prior and Trans fail/safe prog came on during a long drive home. Went away during the next start but comes on every time I drive 15-20 miles. Gears still change but slowly. Did you get your cousin to look at it? What were his findings? Need help!

My Cars
    2013 M3 Comp 6mt
    The trans/fail light went off a while back and never returned. However, the ABS, DSC, Brake light returned. I never got it checked. He said it could have been a speed wheel sensor, Brake light switch, ABS relay, or ABS module repair at worst. The car drove fine with the light on and would not come on until 15 minutes of driving. When the trans/fail light came on, two days before I did the trans flush, new filter and bolts. I think it could have been related but, not sure. Its hard to pinpoint. I would get BMW to read the fault and go from there. Sorry I could not be of more help.
    ///MLOVE
    1993 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    1995 M3 (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    1987 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    2001 M3 (Laguna Seca Blue) (sold)
    2004 X5 4.4 (Sapphire Black Metallic) (sold)
    1997 M3 Saloon (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    2003 X5 3.0 (Steel Gray Metallic)
    2013 M3 Competition (Lemans Blue Metallic)

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5

Trans Failsafe Prog 2006 BMW X5 3.0i

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to chime in since forums like this saved me thousands of dollars fixing my own vehicle.

I had the Trans Failsafe Prog pop up after I had replaced my oil filter housing gasket on my own. I sprayed my alternator with brake cleaner since it was soaked with oil from the leak. I let it sit for an hour to dry. After I put everything back together under the hood, I connected the battery back up. I turned on the car and there pop the 4X4 light and the Trans Failsafe Prog. I thought to myself, what the heck, after fixing a problem here comes another. I had just replaced my valve cover gasket, my brake pads and sensors, and finally the oil filter housing gasket. Now I have a new problem!!! I was getting frustrated. The auto hobby shop where I was working on my car was closing in an hour. I didn't want to stay and get charge for another hour of staying there. I drove just outside their lot and parked it, the 4X4 fault went away. I quickly went to Google to check on my new issue. Reading this tread made me think it was my alternator since I unleased a whole can of brake cleaner on it. I decided to drive it home, and plan on working on replacing the alternator in the garage since I know how easily to remove it now. When I got home, I shut off the vehicle and tested how much voltage the battery had, it was 12.8V, so I figured that was good. I then turned on the engine, removed the negative cable from the battery, and tested the voltage output of the alternator, it was reading 12.5-12.8V, I figured that's good as well. I looked under the hood one more time and checked all my connections, I noticed one cable not hooked up to anything, it was the Mass Air Sensor cable!!! I hooked it back up. Drove the vehicle around the block and the Trans Failsafe Prog went away, but now I have a Service Engine Soon light now. I went and Googled that to see if there's anyway to reset it, but there wasn't away other than taking it to the dealer. I decided to fill her up with gas, after I filled her up, started her again and the SES is GONE!!!

Sorry for the lengthy story, I just thought I had to share all of it. Again thank you for everyone's post. I'm happy with my X5 again!!! Next thing to change is the condenser fan!!!
    Last edited by 808BMWX5; 02-20-2014 at 12:22 AM.

My Cars
    2000 bmw x5 4.4i
    My x5 will only drive on transmission fail safe mode and only on 5th gear does anyone know what can be the problem?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    My 2000 540i just got the radiator and alternator replaced... now it keeps showing trans failsafe prog. Thought it was the battery, and after charging, the alert was gone for a little while. Now it's on again but now it's revving up on its own, and won't go faster than 5 mph... HELP PLEASE
    ~Katie

My Cars
    1994 325i, 2005 X5 4.4L
    TRANS FAILSAFE PROG ISSUE: 2005 X5 goes into Trans Failsafe Prog after semi hard stops. So basically when I come to a stop, and then start driving again, it goes into trans failsafe. I am driving around now with a reset tool and am able to reset it, but it happens all day every day pretty much. Once I get up to speed, I reset it, and it automatically goes into 4th gear, then 5th, etc. But if I drop down to 3rd again and then try to go into 4th, it happens again and I have to reset it. Is it possible the fluid in the pan is sloshing forward, maybe it's low, and causing this? This sounds like a weird one - havent read any like this before on the forums. Thank you for any help! ~Robert in CT.