Thread: Another way to "repair" the seatbelt guide

My Cars
    1999 740iL, 2001 Z3

Another way to "repair" the seatbelt guide

I can't believe this actually seems to be working, but so far so good. I was intrigued by the fact that glue sort of held, but there needed to be some reinforcement. I saw another post where someone had fashioned some strap device, so I thought I would go down that path. Here are my results.

First, I started with these velstraps from Velcro. They are nice and wide, which is what's needed for the application. They're also 3 feet long with a guide loop on the end for lashing down stuff, so scissors were going to be a must. Here's the box... under $5 from Home Depot.

You can see from this picture that the hooks and loops are on the same side, which is fine if you're running through a loop and lashing something down, but for this application we needed to make a small sleeve. The hooks and loops had to be facing opposite directions.

The answer? Cutting the strap so I could reverse the hooks

Here are the two pieces at this point

Now, just flip over the hooks and place them on the loops like so. Tada! Now they are facing opposite directions like we want.

Now you can fold it over into a small strap like we need for the guide.
    99 facelift E38 gone but not forgotten | 2001 Topaz Blue Z3 3.0 (9/00): ASA AR1's, Kicker sub, stone guards & more

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    interesting - thanks
    2000 Z3 MCoupe, '01 LSB E46 M3, '99 GTI VR6, '06 Audi A4, Andrew '95 Avus M3

My Cars
    1999 740iL, 2001 Z3
    Ok, now let's go out to the car. I have fixed the break with Crazy Glue and let it set. My break is all the way through, right where the lower extension make the turn into the base of the guide...right there at the fat part. Both the top 3/4 and the bottom 1/4 are still attached to the backing plate, and both sill spin. I need to attach them and keep them in place. Here it is after being glued and after slipping the seat belt into place.

Now for some fun. The key is keeping the upper and lower pieces together, so we're going with a strap across the gap. Here's the new velcro strap slid into place. Notice why we did the cut-and-switch. Now the loops are facing out, and you can see that the hooks will marry up with them nicely.

Little further along, pressing the loop piece flat into place, and wrapping the hood part around the front

And here we go. It seems to want to stay in place, plus it's black and looks like seatbelt material, so it doesn't stand out. I will keep you posted on how it performs.

99 facelift E38 gone but not forgotten | 2001 Topaz Blue Z3 3.0 (9/00): ASA AR1's, Kicker sub, stone guards & more

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Nice job. Hopefully that'll keep 'em together now...
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    '01 BMW Z3 - '07 Acura TL
    Thanx for shariong that tip / fix

My Cars
    02 m 367 & 99 m 368
    I think something like that's been done but yours looks good because the fabric is a close match to the belt material. A lot of people won't even notice it.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster, 4Runner
    yeah, nice match!

My Cars
    97 1.9l Z3
    Holy blue seats batman!

It looks good

I'm gonna try this, my damn driver side belt guide is the same..
    Always in progress!

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Somebody suggested large diameter shrink wrap to use along the same lines. You'll need to cut it and re-shrink new piece every time you need to get the belt out, but I'd imagine it looks cleaner.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1996 Z3 1.9L

Did this today!

Put this into practice today. Looks clean enough for me. Great idea! Thanks for posting!

The Hankster

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Yep, a very similar fix exists like that. I would still like to see it wrapped in matching leather; I think that would look nice.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    1999 740iL, 2001 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by hankster1988 View Post
    Put this into practice today. Looks clean enough for me. Great idea! Thanks for posting!

The Hankster
    You're welcome. It's good enough for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    Somebody suggested large diameter shrink wrap to use along the same lines. You'll need to cut it and re-shrink new piece every time you need to get the belt out, but I'd imagine it looks cleaner.
    That's plan "b" if this doesn't hold. A big piece of heat shrink tubing.
    Last edited by sdmike1; 12-30-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 2.8L Roadster
    heat shrink fix with pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 740iL, 2001 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
    heat shrink fix with pic
    Looks great. How well does the belt slide? Any leftover tubing?

My Cars
    2000 2.8L Roadster
    doesn't interfere with the belt operation at all. i got it at an electrical supply store, 1 inch tubing @ $1 a foot. cheaper to buy than mail, just keeping the excess for when I pull the seat.