Thread: 1999 528i electrical issues

My Cars
    02 530i 06 325xi

1999 528i electrical issues

Hi All...happy holidays...

After several transmission fault warnings on the dash (that all were re-settable), the battery was completely dead yesterday. Put it on the tender and got her started...still have the dash tranny light (no longer re-sets), seatbelt light, airbag light...and nothing works from the steering wheel...radio controls, cruise, horn.

Tranny is working fine (automatic) and everything else seems fine. Car has 190k on her. All heater speeds are working (FSU?)

Suggestions???

Thanks!

Joe

My Cars
    98 540i6
    replace your battery and reset all faults with proper tool that can communicate with all the chassis's modules.

My Cars
    02 530i 06 325xi
    Hi Matt...thanks....but after searching, I'm starting to think Ignition switch...

jc

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Before spending money on an ignition switch...I really suggest making sure that your battery is up to snuff. You've already told us that it was low enough that you had to recharge it...and if the voltage is still low...all the things you mentioned (issues) would/could be caused by a battery that is on it's last legs.

It's easy to tell if your battery voltage is up to snuff...if you've UNLOCKED your OBC...you can do TEST 9...or if you have a multimeter...check the battery's voltage. Below is a video on how to UNLOCK the HIGH instrument cluster...if you have the low instrument cluster....go to www.bmwtips.com or do a search on this forum to find the instructions for the LOW cluster:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXrWrkEqClU[/ame]

Have you performed the ignition switch test that indicates or "gives signs" that it's on the fritz?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7gMUrAvcIE[/ame]
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-28-2009 at 10:35 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    02 530i 06 325xi

still troubleshooting

well..thanks for the input....

1. Yes, there is intermittent ignition switch issues. The passenger vanity mirror does, sometimes, cause the radio to go off and the steering wheel to go up.

2. I will take the switch apart and clean it as per the British fellow with the colorful writing style. THe savings will buy a ton of MGD.

3. The tranny light and dead battery are likely unrelated, secondary issues. It is VERY cold here in New England and the car seems to be holding charge now just fine. Once I get the switch fixed up...I'll see if there are any codes.

Thanks for the unlocking procedure...that is cool stuff!

Best,

joe

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by jcommare View Post
    well..thanks for the input....

3. The tranny light and dead battery are likely unrelated, secondary issues. It is VERY cold here in New England and the car seems to be holding charge now just fine. Once I get the switch fixed up...I'll see if there are any codes.

Thanks for the unlocking procedure...that is cool stuff!

Best,

joe

you'd be surprised how inter-related everything is. one step at a time, hopefully it fixes everything.

My Cars
    BMW 525ia

Exclamation I have similar issues

Hi all,

I think I have similar issues let me explain:

a while ago I got my 2001 BMW 525ia's seat belt light went on, and stay on after start...then days later the air bag light goes on and stay on after start.

then a few days later, the seat belt light never light on, just the air bag light stays on... then days later the lit air bag light becomes dimmed and eventually stoped light on.

at this point, the seat belt and air bag lights won't lit in any circumstance, including when ignition key is in pre-start position.

the steering wheel function keys are not working except for the heater, when button pressed, it will lit up and heat up. after a while the green LED dot also becomes dimmed and almost non-noticeable if it is on or off, however the heater still works.

radio display sometimes flashing, and the clock display won't show up when not listening on audio ( I think it supposed to display time when audio not turned on) but when in normal driving, the radio display seems working better.

seat heater lights are not on, but I didn't test it long to see if actually it produce heat like the steering wheel heater does.

vanity mirror will make the central light goes on.

since those are trivial, and I thought it just some electronical connection issue, maybe the fuse, so I didn't do anything. after checking the fuses are fine. I knew it is more complicated than I hoped.

then a few days ago, the fail-safe tranny light went on, shutting the car off, then try again, it will go on eventually if not immediately.

shortly before that, I can feel the transmission was trying to shift down when I was driving normally (feels like someone is pulling you from behind when you are running).

now I am more worried.

brought it to a servce garage, have it scanned by the autologic computer, has 19 errors. reset them (to see how it works). at the same time the mechanic found my brake light is always on. tried a new brake switch but it didn't solve the issue, the mechanic tried to reprogrammed the lamp module, first time didn't work, 2nd time it worked, so then the fail-safe tranny light goes off. the mechanic ask me to see if the warning light will go on again, if so, I need to bring it back.

I drove it on local, feels good, goes on a highway, when I accelerate to 120KM/Hr, the fail-safe tranny light goes on again. but when I shut the car off and on again, the tranny light is not lighting up (so far after 5 times started the car in the past two days)

that is all up to now. the car now still runs well except the seat belt light and air bag lights always stay off and no function keys on steering wheel works (except for the heater). But I do want to clear things up and got them fixed before it causing more confusion... my car only have 92000KM on it, so I wouldn't think any mechanic issue with the transmission?

Can someone tell me if I shall check the ignition switch as well? and if so how? and how to clean it? the ignition switch is not very expensive, isn't it? or it is actually costly.

thanks for helping!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Welcome to the forums

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightbeamer View Post
    Hi all,

I think I have similar issues let me explain:

a while ago I got my 2001 BMW 525ia's seat belt light went on, and stay on after start...then days later the air bag light goes on and stay on after start.

then a few days later, the seat belt light never light on, just the air bag light stays on... then days later the lit air bag light becomes dimmed and eventually stoped light on.

at this point, the seat belt and air bag lights won't lit in any circumstance, including when ignition key is in pre-start position.

the steering wheel function keys are not working except for the heater, when button pressed, it will lit up and heat up. after a while the green LED dot also becomes dimmed and almost non-noticeable if it is on or off, however the heater still works.

radio display sometimes flashing, and the clock display won't show up when not listening on audio ( I think it supposed to display time when audio not turned on) but when in normal driving, the radio display seems working better.

seat heater lights are not on, but I didn't test it long to see if actually it produce heat like the steering wheel heater does.

vanity mirror will make the central light goes on.

since those are trivial, and I thought it just some electronical connection issue, maybe the fuse, so I didn't do anything. after checking the fuses are fine. I knew it is more complicated than I hoped.

then a few days ago, the fail-safe tranny light went on, shutting the car off, then try again, it will go on eventually if not immediately.

shortly before that, I can feel the transmission was trying to shift down when I was driving normally (feels like someone is pulling you from behind when you are running).

now I am more worried.

brought it to a servce garage, have it scanned by the autologic computer, has 19 errors. reset them (to see how it works). at the same time the mechanic found my brake light is always on. tried a new brake switch but it didn't solve the issue, the mechanic tried to reprogrammed the lamp module, first time didn't work, 2nd time it worked, so then the fail-safe tranny light goes off. the mechanic ask me to see if the warning light will go on again, if so, I need to bring it back.

I drove it on local, feels good, goes on a highway, when I accelerate to 120KM/Hr, the fail-safe tranny light goes on again. but when I shut the car off and on again, the tranny light is not lighting up (so far after 5 times started the car in the past two days)

that is all up to now. the car now still runs well except the seat belt light and air bag lights always stay off and no function keys on steering wheel works (except for the heater). But I do want to clear things up and got them fixed before it causing more confusion... my car only have 92000KM on it, so I wouldn't think any mechanic issue with the transmission?

Can someone tell me if I shall check the ignition switch as well? and if so how? and how to clean it? the ignition switch is not very expensive, isn't it? or it is actually costly.

thanks for helping!
    You have some classic signs of a failing ignition switch (as you can see in Q's video in his post above).
    Here's the ignition switch replacement DIY.
    Ignition Switch

My Cars
    02 530i 06 325xi

Ignition switch

So..pulled the switch last night....pretty easy to just take it apart (careful to not break the little tabs)...spray the hell out of it with contact cleaner...a little sandpaper to clear up the contacts, a little vaseline on the center shaft and re-assemble.

Good as new. Save $50-$90 depending on where you get your parts.

Just remember to disconnect your battery when working near the air bags!

Tools needed:
    Small phillips
    Small flat blade
    T-25 socket (top torx bolt is a little tough to get at)
    10mm socket for battery

Time...start to finish...about 30 minutes.

jc

My Cars
    BMW 525ia

mines resolved too.

Hi All,

Thanks everyone!

I am happy to report that the problem resolved. and I didn't replace anything (knocking on the wood!!!)

what happened was I went over to a BMW dealer and bought the ignition switch. before I left, I asked if I HAVE TO disconnect the battery before installing it (I don't have my audio code recorded by BMW, don't have the card either). a nice service consultant said he would do that just to be safe (of course). then we chatted about why I needed this ignition switch and after I described all those funky symptoms, he said it might not be the ignition switch, didn't sound like it, as there were just too many weird errors... and there were all kinds of error code in my scan record (using autologic). On the other hand, he said they experienced a lot of funky symptoms like mine and the culprit proved to be the under charged battery! he recommend I returned the ignition switch first and only get it when I am 100% sure. and the parts department guy took it back because I haven't left the premise (electronic parts are not returnable as a general rule).

I went back home and pull out my Eliminator battery charger. the reading (although might not be very accurate, as I think BMW battery has much higher capacity, so the % reading might not be accurate) is 70%, my hope dimmed a little bit. but charged it to 100% anyway. disconnect, start the car, at first, still same symptoms, at that time, I said to myself, well, at the end, I would have to buy the switch anyway... but wait, I pull down the visor and slide the mirror, magic! all the lights went normal (seat belt light lit up as supposed) and horn, steering wheel control, radio, heater... everything are normal.

so now I just proved that what the gentleman said was 100% correct. my lack of driving mileage caused battery undercharged and all the sensors are triggered. it happened to lot of newer BMW models (not on the older models though, as I was told there were not so many electronic gadgets in older models)

so if your driving pattern might cause bettery undercharge (always up and down around 50%, in my case, even 70% reading from a battery charger, is not enough), just charge it from time to time, it will keep it less troublesome.

p.s. Qsilver7 pointed out the battery check video on youtube, which I should have paid attention to, but I guess I was just too confident on the battery (as it never fail to start and my BMW was not E38 so the battery check trick didn't apply to me) but looking back, all those fainted warning lights, my remote key operational range decreased... all those funky symptoms should have warned me the under powered battery! I just learned my way this time. but now I can have a happy new year. :-)

so it is interesting to see similar symptoms are from different roots!

the BMW dealer I went to was North York Parkview BMW in Toronto, the nice parts guy was Steve, and the very nice service guy was Juris. thank them to make my day... they are really customer service oriented, although the result was I didn't buy anything from them yesterday. but I received confidence on them!
    Last edited by moonlightbeamer; 12-30-2009 at 09:58 AM.