Thread: *Help with wiring: Installing electric fan and mech. adj. fan control on 323i

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT

*Help with wiring: Installing electric fan and mech. adj. fan control on 323i

OK, need some help/clarification here...

attempting to install aftermarket electric fan w/ mechanically adjustable fan control

(was using fullswing's DIY as a guide: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1188314 )

When i went to take the wires from the coolant temp sensor and rig them up to the MAF control, I notice i've got 2 plugs and 4 wires instead of 1 temp sensor plug with 2 wires, as I was expecting (see below diagram, item 22)

Here is what I am seeing (does not match above diagram?)

2 temp sensor plugs? 4 wires. 2 are red/green, 1 is black, one is black with white stripe. I was expecting to find 1 red/green, one black with white stripe?

Any clarification on what's going on here and what I need to do would be much appreciated!

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    I don't know anything about a 323i specifically, but practically all larger BMWs have 2 switches that work at 2 different temps. The lower temp switch will complete the circuit to the fan through a resistor (a white ceramic block usually mounted to the fan itself) for low fan speed. The high temp switch completes the circuit directly for high fan speed. There's a 3 prong connector going to the fan for the 2 speeds and ground. If you are using an aftermarket fan on full speed only, just ignore one of the switches and ignore the corresponding prong on the connector and proceed as you planned.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    Thanks for the info!