Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: E34 vs W124 Mercedes?

My Cars
    E34 525i M50TU

E34 vs W124 Mercedes?

Hi, all. I am interested to read how people feel the W124 Mercedes compares with the E34. Of course, I assume it's an equal caliber car, yet I'm wondering about others' experiences comparing the two in terms of things like durability, ride quality, preferences, etc, etc. Thanks!

My Cars
    BMW 850, Alpina B10 Biturbo, Alpina B12 5.0
    Depends on which W124. For example, an E500/E60 will destroy any E34, except for an Alpina Biturbo.

Being an owner of 3 W140s, what I can tell you without a doubt is the community for the Mercedes will be pathetic compared to BMW. Mercedes drivers are just that - drivers. They don't get their hands dirty, tinker or try and create fixes. The stealer and the indy's are their best friends. They use the full serve side of a gas station. BMW owners are that - owners. They love their cars like their own children and work for the better of all, by creating fixes and providing 'how to's' with pictures and verbage.

Don't get me wrong, Mercedes makes a great car - I love their engineering. However, if you are a wrench head you will likely be pioneering a lot of fixes and repairs yourself - or watching your wallet shrink. This is the case with the W140, perhaps the W124 would be better, but I would expect that it wouldn't be by very much.

The kids:
    Alpinas: 91 E34 B10 Biturbo; 91 E32 B12 5.0; 91 E34 B10 3.0 Allrad (mom's car); '91 B10 3.5
    Bimmers: 91 E31 850; 93 E34 525i w/ aftermarket turbo; '01 X5 4.4; 93 E31 850i Dinan TT; 89 E32 750il Dinan TT; 92 750il w/ S70 engine and transmission
    Mercedes: 92 600sel; 93 S600 Lorinser
    VW: 04 Jetta GLS TDI

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnalpina View Post
    Being an owner of 3 W140s, what I can tell you without a doubt is the community for the Mercedes will be pathetic compared to BMW. Mercedes drivers are just that - drivers. They don't get their hands dirty, tinker or try and create fixes. The stealer and the indy's are their best friends. They use the full serve side of a gas station. BMW owners are that - owners. They love their cars like their own children and work for the better of all, by creating fixes and providing 'how to's' with pictures and verbage.

Don't get me wrong, Mercedes makes a great car - I love their engineering. However, if you are a wrench head you will likely be pioneering a lot of fixes and repairs yourself - or watching your wallet shrink. This is the case with the W140, perhaps the W124 would be better, but I would expect that it wouldn't be by very much.
    Not necessarily. I used to have a 92 W201 190E 2.6 and when ever I needed to get any info on any issues, most of the stuff was easily available at Benzworld.org.

I also ventured out to check out the W124 and W126 sections, too, and there is definitely lots of info, fixes, tutorials etc. out there. Lots of the guys do work on the car themselves.

My Cars
    BMW 850, Alpina B10 Biturbo, Alpina B12 5.0
    That's awesome that the W124/W126 series of Mercedes is like that. It's a shame all the series aren't. So, maybe the W124 would be a good bet from that standpoint. I would imagine the engineering to be fantastic like the W140. I am biased to the E34 though...

The kids:
    Alpinas: 91 E34 B10 Biturbo; 91 E32 B12 5.0; 91 E34 B10 3.0 Allrad (mom's car); '91 B10 3.5
    Bimmers: 91 E31 850; 93 E34 525i w/ aftermarket turbo; '01 X5 4.4; 93 E31 850i Dinan TT; 89 E32 750il Dinan TT; 92 750il w/ S70 engine and transmission
    Mercedes: 92 600sel; 93 S600 Lorinser
    VW: 04 Jetta GLS TDI

My Cars
    '91 BMW 520i
    I used to own a diesel W124 (300D turbo). One of the best diesels M-B ever made. I don't know about the more common gasoline models (300E, E320 and E400), but compared to the E34, the handling of the Mercedes felt a lot softer, whereas the BMW feels sportier. I had some repair issues, but nothing major, and most parts for MB are cheap, I think cheaper than BMW. Some people call it a poor man's car.
    I prefer BMWs. I have been a BMW fan ever since my dad owned a 3.0s in the 70s, then a 728i in the 80s. That said, a 500E W124 remains one of my dream cars.
    '91 Euro-spec 520i, M50, packed with Racing Dynamics gear including: 17-inch rims, front and rear swaybars, upper strut brace, and lowering springs / Brembo Big Brakes in front / 235/45-17 Dunlop SP Sport 9000/ BMA short-shift kit / Magnaflow muffler / Leather interior / Restoration in progress.

My Cars
    Fives
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnalpina View Post
    Depends on which W124. For example, an E500/E60 will destroy any E34, except for an Alpina Biturbo.

Hmm. Most of the Merc fans I know are pretty industrious guys. We have a healthy "I'm better than you" running banter over our preferred brands/models.

I catch no end of crap about the 525.

I got something planned for them, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I can't speculate on what would cause the POOP alarm, but I would recommend pulling over immediately.

Specialization is for insects

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    Quote Originally Posted by specialE34 View Post
    most parts for MB are cheap
    There is a saying over at Benzworld.org that says "Nothing is more expensive than a cheap Mecedes." and I think that some truth behind it. I'm sure the same can be said about many other brands, too.

Hopefully not about BMW as I got mine less than 24 hours ago...

Quote Originally Posted by specialE34 View Post
    a 500E W124 remains one of my dream cars.
    Mine, too. One of the many cars on that list...

My Cars
    90535ia 09MuranoSL
    Quote Originally Posted by TexFinn View Post
    "Nothing is more expensive than a cheap Mecedes."
    Truer words have never been uttered.

That said... my brother's 500E is dream worthy. Super car fast and yet deceivingly soft and comfortable. I think fondly of every moment I was able to drive it.

There is little wonder why a majority of that era's F1 drivers had them.

Repairs are predictable but truly brutal in cost. I wouldn't consider one if it was under 14k and less than perfect restoration.

The E34 is my very slight compromise on that dream. Easier to work on, less expensive and WAY better gas mileage. Drive the Merc if you can then buy a 5.
    Last edited by IT Jedi; 12-10-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling...
    BMW CCA #434501
    [ 127k Miles | Dinan Engine & Trans chips | LSD | AFE Pro 5 R Air Filter | ANSA Exhaust | BavAuto Springs | Bilstein Sport shocks | | Racing Dynamics front strut brace | BavAuto DTM Lip | Driver-side wiper arm upgrade | Euro LKM ECE-B | French Market E1 Spec Hella Lows (HID 4500K 55w DDM Raptor v2) and Highs (Osram Nightbreaker +90)
    | HID Projector Fogs - 3000K 35w DDM Raptor v2 | LED Interior lights with Shogun's Dimmer kit | 7 Series Rear Map lights | Euro clear parking, tail and signal lamps]

My Cars
    1990 535iA
    I owned 2 300E W124. Earlier 300e models were plagued with leaking head gasket and front valve cover gaskets that will set you back some decent coin. Real fun car to drive though, very reliable, both mine had well over 200k when I sold them. But the leaks drove me crazy. The wiring insulation on that engine harness was horrendous flaking disaster too.

IMO the E34 is a nicer car.....it definitely handles better, you feel much more connected and grounded to the road. Will always have a soft spot for those old E series, but I'd never go back to a Merc after experiencing a BMW.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I had a W124 back when it was a current model. A 2.6 so it was asthmatic as they come but a good, very solid car. Comfort was superior to any BMW I've owned. It's not one to instigate spirited driving but is more capable than it first appears.
    The auto trannys take some getting used to as they begin in second unless you stomp on it, if you accelerate hard after the initial takeoff there is a hard and clumsy downshift back to first.
    In older ones look out for climate control issues and thoroughly investigate any suspension troubles. One of the older model MBs has torsion bar troubles that can be very expensive, not sure if the W124 is the one.
    There is DIY information available and an enthusiast following, still it will cost more to run than an E34.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34 525i/5, E38 740i
    Do they make any modern manual trans. MB's?
    '95 525i Schwarz/Schwarz 5-speed - Bilsteins - winter package - keyless - 210K miles - Cross Country Survivor

'95 740i Ascotgrun/Parchment - 16" Style 61's - Needs an extra pedal - 124K miles

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    Quote Originally Posted by jfj707 View Post
    Do they make any modern manual trans. MB's?
    Yes.

My Cars
    E34 535i 5spd
    In my opinion.....

The W124 lacks feel and character compared to the E34.

I've driven both 300E and 500E and yes, they are great cars and all and drive well. The 500E has ENORMOUS amounts of torque and power, but still feels like you are riding on some sort of spring loaded cloud. Not my cup of tea.
    Jon M
    Iceland
    E34 535i 5spd '88 - 17" AC Schnitzer Type I - Hid's - Kmac camber plates - Powerflex bushings - Koni Sport - ACS springs - ACS Kit - Shadowline - Hella Dark - Wide lower grill - IE 292° Cam - Custom ECU Chip - 3" custom exhaust - 3.91LSD
    ---> http://www.bmwkraftur.is/spjall/view...hp?f=5&t=18823 <--- Project thread in Icelandic with pics.

My Cars
    1992 E34 525i, W124
    I own both an E34 525i, and a 1995 W124 E420.

I find it really hard to compare the two in terms of which one is better. They are equally rewarding to own and drive in very different ways. Considering that the E34 and W124 competed head to head in the same segment, it makes sense that coming to a definitive conclusion is not an easy task;

Build Quality

Both cars are premium cars from premium manufacturers. BMW is inherently performance oriented, with luxury taking a second seat. Mercedes-Benz is inherently luxury oriented, with performance taking a second seat. But when it comes down to the basics, both the E34 and W124 feel equally competent.

The W124 is from an era when MB did not cut corners; they are built with the highest attention put towards fit & finish and material quality. The build and quality of materials in the W124 rivals and even exceeds many newer cars! Headliners, plastics, wood trim, trim fasteners, switches, handles, upholstery, carpeting, etc. are made of TOP quality materials, and were assembled to last a life time without exhibiting signs of age or degradation; Interior squeaks and rattles are non-existant regardless of how high the mileage on the odometer might read. They are also highly insulated and are VERY quiet at speed. I could sit in my W124 and spend hours marveling at how everything looks and feels.... W124's are quite special for just this reason alone, regardless of any other factors.

E34's are built with light-weight construction goals; many items in the W124 that are made of heavy plastics or steel are made of light plastics in the E34; sunroof mechanisms, seat hardware, etc... all feel less substantial. E34 construction materials feel cheaper- plastics are of lower grade, fit and finish tends to be border-line good and great. With age though, the E34 just doesnt hold up as well. Rattles, loose panels, plastic warps, sagging headliners, etc..... They just aren't as solid or impressive as the W124.

Durability
    W124's are fairly simple cars- minimal electronics, lots of 80's mechanical technology. 6 cylinder cars are prone to head gasket leaks, and later 1994-1995 models had Govt. mandated biodegradable wiring harnesses that by now are either rotted to pieces or have been replaced. There arent many other known and common terribly detrimental issues to look out for; transmissions are over-built; long lasting and rarely require work for at least 200K miles.

E34's have more electrics, and therefore more niggles here and there to deal with. I had had more electrical gremlins surface in the E34 I own than in any of the MB's I have owned in the past 9 years. Electrics aside, the M50 motor in my 525i has been every bit as reliable as my M119 V-8 E420. I cannot say the same for the transmission. I am on my second rebuild on the 525i; no surprise, we all know about the GM slush-box transmissions in the E34's!

Parts for both cars are easy to source, relatively inexpensive, and both cars are easy to work on for an experienced DIY'er. Again, we're talking late 1980's technology.

Driving & handling

The W124 is comfort oriented; INSANELY smooth riding cars, whilst still being firm enough to feel confident in the swoops and bends. That said, they do have more body roll than the E34. I lowered my E420 on an Eibach Pro-Kit with Bilstein sport shocks and 17x8" BRABUS monoblock wheels shod with Michelin Pilot Exalto ASX rubber. The difference between stock and after modifications was like night and day. With suspension modifications the W124 feels almost as nimble and involving as a stock E34.... though it is still a bit heavier.

The E34 is inherently more nimble, and more communicative by nature. It is also much lighter feeling than the W124. But it does not have the same smooth cosseting solid block of steel weight that makes the W124 so pleasurable to pilot. The W124, with its high quality interior and vault like ride really makes an impression on drivers and passengers... something that cannot be said about the E34.

Design

The W124 is by far more timeless in my eyes- they are from an era when MB was putting out straight edged minimalistic designs that over time still look every bit as fresh as they did when new. W124 interiors are clean lined, luxurious, simple, and spacious. Back seat room is a bit more accommodating in the leg and head areas. The W124 greenhouse is open and airy. 1994 MY saw a front and rear face-lift that really lends the exterior design a cleaner less dated look; smoothed hood with integrated grille, sealed headlights, cleaner trunk revision and license plate indentation with chrome handle.

The E34 design is still very good looking- not fussy or dated in any specific way, but it has not retained its freshness as well as the W124. I like the driver oriented dash design and red back-lit instruments more than the W124, but appreciate the timeless dash and more upscale feel of the W124 interior.

If I could take anything from the E34 and put it in the W124 it would be the digital red gauges, OBC functions and alerts. If I could take anything from the W124 and put it in the E34 it would be the construction materials and fit and finish; BMW really skimped in this aspect.

I suppose I own both for a good reason- they are both wonderful cars to own and drive. It would be impossible to pick one over the other.

I ADORE the power and torque of the M119 V-8 in the E420.... BUTTERY smooth muscle across the board over that of the I-6. Paired with my suspension upgrades it really makes it a bit of a sleeper..... a baby E500E so to speak. And I must say the W124 really makes you feel like you are on top of the world; a very substantial and elegant yet discreet modern classic. Its the car I choose for a night out or a long distance high speed trip.

I love my E34's grunty I-6, and overall more athletic feel. Its a more casual throw around car. And it seems to be the best made BMW I have owned; simple enough to not pose overly-complex issues, modern enough to be comfortable to use as often as desired. When I am feeling a bit spontaneous the E34 fits the bill.

Last edited by Teutonic5; 12-10-2009 at 02:26 PM.

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    If I sell my RS I fully intend on picking up a 400e. Maybe even a 300TE 4matic wagon and dumping it

IMO the W124 looks outdated compared to the E34. The massive center grill on the Benz just screams "80s" to me.
    Last edited by GarrettSR5; 12-10-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic5 View Post
    Very well said. I agree to almost everything you said there. Some minor matters of opinion, maybe, but that's about it.

Even though I have not owned a W124 myself, but have many friends who do have done so, so I have quite a bit of insight also to them.

My Cars
    Fives
    Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic5 View Post
    fun read
    So, you wrote that just now, eh?

I enjoyed the first hand comparo. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I can't speculate on what would cause the POOP alarm, but I would recommend pulling over immediately.

Specialization is for insects

My Cars
    e24-28-30-34-36-2002
    I found them harsh without sportines, a good car, but not for playing on twisties, my room mate is borrowing his fathers '99 CLK430, his mom had a W124 years ago, Mercedes makes great cars, but they are GT cars for driving on the autobahn, e34 will do that and the twisties, Peugeot 505 turbo diesel will do all 3 (cheap and reliable too)
    I'll buy your wrecked, rusted, busted BMW, load it on my trailer and go, as long as you want to sell it for parts car prices, Bay & Sac area.

m50 5 speed swap
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1364980

Various factory wheel identification
    http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheels/BMWWheels.htm

http://crass.on.ru/bmw/wheels/

Quote Originally Posted by jbondbmw View Post
    ... They also mentioned spraying them with cyanide like Bruce Willis did with the van we was driving in the movie 'The Jackel.' I thought that was an interesting idea.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    I owned a W124 1993 E320 with 112k a couple of years ago...it was good for about a year or so and then started developing fuel issues...and Fuses were going left and right..it was a disaster. Bought it for $2500 and sold it for $1500 because of issues. Stick with a BMW...easy to fix than a Merc. and much more reliable.

My Cars
    90535ia 09MuranoSL
    Quote Originally Posted by DTMkarnage View Post
    I owned a W124 1993 E320 with 112k a couple of years ago...it was good for about a year or so and then started developing fuel issues...and Fuses were going left and right..it was a disaster. Bought it for $2500 and sold it for $1500 because of issues. Stick with a BMW...easy to fix than a Merc. and much more reliable.
    Exactly! Changing the timing chain is almost as much as you paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Mar
    feels like you are riding on some sort of spring loaded cloud
    Perfectly said. Even with its Porsche suspension, its all about ultra high speed touring for four (vs the 928 2 seater). Unless you get to South Dakota or Wyoming (in the summer) for some fast driving, its like having a rocket ship in your living room. NASA size budget need for repairs.
    BMW CCA #434501
    [ 127k Miles | Dinan Engine & Trans chips | LSD | AFE Pro 5 R Air Filter | ANSA Exhaust | BavAuto Springs | Bilstein Sport shocks | | Racing Dynamics front strut brace | BavAuto DTM Lip | Driver-side wiper arm upgrade | Euro LKM ECE-B | French Market E1 Spec Hella Lows (HID 4500K 55w DDM Raptor v2) and Highs (Osram Nightbreaker +90)
    | HID Projector Fogs - 3000K 35w DDM Raptor v2 | LED Interior lights with Shogun's Dimmer kit | 7 Series Rear Map lights | Euro clear parking, tail and signal lamps]

My Cars
    1995 318Ti 1995 M5 1993 benz 300ce
    i have 1993 300ce that i love and is rock solid at 210k miles. comfortable ride. yes leaks oil but what old german car doesn't. it is a perfect comfortable A to B car. better than any e34. e34 is sportier more rough. the benz is built a lot better and more solid due to mercedes not caring about wieght or handling.i will probably get another benz before bmw. this might be that i have the 2 bmws i want and will keep.
    [][/]

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    My biggest beef with MB is the dearth of manual transmissions. Seems the only manuals available stateside are the ancient 240D, the 190's (and not the 2.6), and the very occasional lower-end C-class. How hard is it to get a manual into a V8 W124?

My Cars
    1991 525
    I could rock this wo the fogs.

My Cars
    2003 325ci & 2001 530i
    I think for fair comparison, it would have to be either:
    M20 BMW 525i vs. 300E 2.8L
    M50 BMW 525i/BMW 530i vs. E320

The older W124's always had a "floating" effect on the highway and seemed to need alot of revs when I drove any of them. Seemed to be cured on the later models. BMW has always been more performance orientated and MBZ more comfort IMO.

My Cars
    90535ia 09MuranoSL
    I really have to disagree on down rating performance of the 500E. It may feel softer than a 5 but this is not a normal Merc. Merc had Porsche design and build the chassis specifically for this model. Drive smooth and its "cloud like"... push hard and its nimble like a car much lighter.
    Last edited by IT Jedi; 12-10-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling...
    BMW CCA #434501

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast