Thread: P1542 Pedal Position Sensor Electrical

My Cars
    BMW E46 328ci

P1542 Pedal Position Sensor Electrical

I rented a ODBII scanner (awesome little tool btw) and I am throwing code P1542 (Pedal Position Sensor Electrical). Unfortunately I dont have an M3 otherwise I am pretty sure I could just replace the TPS unit and get the car out of limp mode. I called Pelican Parts and they needed my VIN# to be totally sure what the story is with a 2000 328CI. They told me they think the TPS on my car "is not serviceable" what that means exactly I am not sure; Im guessing that might mean its built in to the throttle body or something. Thats why I am posting this as someone out there might know exactly whats going on (hopefully) with the 328CI's. I would have found out today but Pelican is closed, I have to call because online they only have a TPS for the M3 and I am impatient, I am dying to find out what parts I need.

So if anyone knows what parts I might need to buy or were to start looking that would be awesome. Is there such a part as a pedal position sensor? Or is referring to particular sensor that you can buy. I really cant wait to get online and find the part or parts I need to buy man that will be exciting! Unless its the whole throttle body...$500 for that but would be awesome to have a new shinny throttle body!

Ok people, since nobody cared about my question I took the liberty to go to justanswer.com and find whats goin on.

Heres the deal, if you have a 328CI or any BMW with an "unserviceable" TPS then guess what; you need to replace your throttle body and the lower air intake tube as well is recommended, they tear easy.

So if you throw code P1542 thats what you gotta do....oh man that new throttle body is gonna look awesome! I cant wait to install it.
    Last edited by NuklearKrisis; 12-05-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '00 323i, '00 528it
    OK, I had the same problem on my 2000 528IT. Yes I know it's not the right group. However, I tore apart the air intake, and everything else in the way of the throttle body. Only to discover that it was gummed up really bad. So, I removed it and spent quite a lot of time cleaning it with carb cleaner and cotton swabs. Got as much gunk off as possible and reinstalled. Also looked at the idle control valve and it was also extremely dirty. So I cleaned that and put everything back together. I took the liberty to clean all my electrical connections as I put them together as well. Cleared the codes and the car runs better then when I bought it. (Yes I bought it used).

The reason I'm posting this on hear is I'm about to do it to my 2000 323I that is throwing a P1542 code. And yes, the position sensor is part of the throttle body. Try cleaning it if you can before you buy a new one and save $$$$$.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335I
    your gas pedal also has a position sensor.

Mods - AFE Stage 2 Pro dry S intake, BMW black Grills, Burger Tuning LED angel eyes

My Cars
    1986 325e Import
    Quote Originally Posted by NuklearKrisis View Post
    I rented a ODBII scanner (awesome little tool btw) and I am throwing code P1542 (Pedal Position Sensor Electrical). Unfortunately I dont have an M3 otherwise I am pretty sure I could just replace the TPS unit and get the car out of limp mode. I called Pelican Parts and they needed my VIN# to be totally sure what the story is with a 2000 328CI. They told me they think the TPS on my car "is not serviceable" what that means exactly I am not sure; Im guessing that might mean its built in to the throttle body or something. Thats why I am posting this as someone out there might know exactly whats going on (hopefully) with the 328CI's. I would have found out today but Pelican is closed, I have to call because online they only have a TPS for the M3 and I am impatient, I am dying to find out what parts I need.

So if anyone knows what parts I might need to buy or were to start looking that would be awesome. Is there such a part as a pedal position sensor? Or is referring to particular sensor that you can buy. I really cant wait to get online and find the part or parts I need to buy man that will be exciting! Unless its the whole throttle body...$500 for that but would be awesome to have a new shinny throttle body!

Ok people, since nobody cared about my question I took the liberty to go to justanswer.com and find whats goin on.

Heres the deal, if you have a 328CI or any BMW with an "unserviceable" TPS then guess what; you need to replace your throttle body and the lower air intake tube as well is recommended, they tear easy.

So if you throw code P1542 thats what you gotta do....oh man that new throttle body is gonna look awesome! I cant wait to install it.

Did the new throttle body solve the problem? And was your EML light coming on while the problem was occurring.

I have a 323 and what happens with my car is, usually after like 20 mins of driving or sometimes less the car will start to loose throttle response an then suddenly go in to "limpmode" and the EML light will come on. And usually if you shut the car off and wait for a min something will reset and allow you to drive for a bit untill the problem occurs again.

Quote Originally Posted by backseatdriver3
    OK, I had the same problem on my 2000 528IT. Yes I know it's not the right group. However, I tore apart the air intake, and everything else in the way of the throttle body. Only to discover that it was gummed up really bad. So, I removed it and spent quite a lot of time cleaning it with carb cleaner and cotton swabs. Got as much gunk off as possible and reinstalled. Also looked at the idle control valve and it was also extremely dirty. So I cleaned that and put everything back together. I took the liberty to clean all my electrical connections as I put them together as well. Cleared the codes and the car runs better then when I bought it. (Yes I bought it used).

The reason I'm posting this on hear is I'm about to do it to my 2000 323I that is throwing a P1542 code. And yes, the position sensor is part of the throttle body. Try cleaning it if you can before you buy a new one and save $$$$$.
    Hello backseat driver!
    The 323 might have a loose or corroded terminal located at the ECM. Check to see if terminals 40-45 are the ones corroded in the 52 pin computer connector. If they are make sure to clean them with an electronics terminal cleaner.
    Let me know just what you did to fix it!!

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBMW325is View Post
    your gas pedal also has a position sensor.
    Nope. His car has a throttle cable. There is no position sensor as part of his accelerator pedal assembly. See the parts diagram here to confirm.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=35_0188
    The throttle position sensor for these cars is actually inside the throttle body itself.

Note: I know this thread is ancient. Only posting the correction for future readers/searchers.