Thread: Engine Block Heater

My Cars
    88 635CSi; 88 325iX

Engine Block Heater

Any of you guys install the freeze plug heater blocks from amazon?
    1\*

My Cars
    One too many....
    Yes, not on my E24 but I've had one on my E12 M30 engine for years. What did you need to know?
    Mine: 1988 635CSi Euro in Diamantschwarz Metallic, 1989 ALPINA B10 3.5 in Alpineweiss II, 1981 528i in Kastanienrot-Metallic, 1958 Isetta 300 currently in rust repair
    In the family: 1958 Isetta 300 in Federweiss/Pastellblau, 1987 635CSi, 2000 M5
    My YouTube Channel

My Cars
    88 635CSi; 88 325iX
    I was just curious if anybody frequently used them, how warm they keep the motor, any leaking problems from the freeze plug seal.

I ordered a 36mm one from amazon yesterday. I bought it so during winter months I dont need to wait so long for the car to warm up. Eliminating the need (or more of desire) to warm up the car in the mornings.
    1\*

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Is there any advantage to that over the magnetic oil pan type? Seems easier to install

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi A 5 Sp TCD Stage II
    When I passed a few winter months in Afghanistan back in the late 70's the natives would just light small fires under their engines to get them warmed up in the morning. Some of the slicker types had these portable little oil burners that looked like smudge pots to serve the same purpose. This apropos of absolutely nothing

My Cars
    See sig
    i dont warm the car up on cold mornings. i wear a hat and gloves.

(i drive it quite easily though, till it reaches operating temp)
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    I read in a user's manul for a tractor from about 1935 that if it's extremely cold you might be wise to drain the engine oil every night and take it in the house with you, then reinstall the warm oil in the morning! Bear in mind that this tractor was started with a hand crank, so cold oil was a serious problem.

My Cars
    One too many....
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerjo View Post
    I was just curious if anybody frequently used them, how warm they keep the motor, any leaking problems from the freeze plug seal.

I ordered a 36mm one from amazon yesterday. I bought it so during winter months I dont need to wait so long for the car to warm up. Eliminating the need (or more of desire) to warm up the car in the mornings.

Well, they work pretty good. Most Canucks have these on their cars....the older ones anyways. On very cold mornings it can make the difference of you getting to work on time that day or not. They aren't really meant for making the car warm up quicker but you will notice that it does warm up and blow heat sooner. Guess what i'm saying is they are a starting aid not a warming up aid.
    Plugged in overnight, the immersed heater warms the coolant and causes it to circulate by convection within the block. I would guess it raises the temperature of the coolant (and block) by about 15C to 20C degrees.
    On the M30 there is a coolant passage on the drivers side, that's normally where it goes. To install it you would first drain the block of coolant by removing the plug on the rear passenger side. Pop out the first freeze plug behind the water pump and make sure it doesn't go into the block. Clean the opening well and install it pointing it the right way. Tighten it down and then run the cord out the front somewhere so you're able to plug it in. Fill with coolant & bleed.
    Properly installed on a clean hole and they won't leak. There is a O-ring on it that seals.
    They consume about 600w of power so if this really concerns you, you can put them on a timer to come on about 4 hours before you normally would start your car.
    Mine: 1988 635CSi Euro in Diamantschwarz Metallic, 1989 ALPINA B10 3.5 in Alpineweiss II, 1981 528i in Kastanienrot-Metallic, 1958 Isetta 300 currently in rust repair
    In the family: 1958 Isetta 300 in Federweiss/Pastellblau, 1987 635CSi, 2000 M5
    My YouTube Channel

My Cars
    88 635CSi; 88 325iX
    Well... got mine in finally super simple to install. Here are some random pics if it:

Last edited by bimmerjo; 12-16-2009 at 12:57 AM.
    1\*

My Cars
    '86 635
    not a whole lot to it. but if you catch it before it get's cold, not a lot of work for it. Does it have a thermometor or what? will you remove it in a few?
    -DJ

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I read in a user's manul for a tractor from about 1935 that if it's extremely cold you might be wise to drain the engine oil every night and take it in the house with you, then reinstall the warm oil in the morning! Bear in mind that this tractor was started with a hand crank, so cold oil was a serious problem.
    that would suck ass
    Currently looking for e24. PM me if you see anything interesting.

Also, looking for my old car. Sold it in 2014 to someone in Northern CA. He sold it shortly thereafter and doesn't remember to who. It was a bronzit '85 euro, lowered, headlight wipers/washers (that worked!), rear black spoiler, 5 speed, nutria interior (however i removed original buffalo leather interior and replaced with manual sport seats (front and rear).

My Cars
    88 635CSi; 88 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by 86GT635 View Post
    not a whole lot to it. but if you catch it before it get's cold, not a lot of work for it. Does it have a thermometor or what? will you remove it in a few?
    -DJ
    No thermometer, it just stays on until its unplugged. I'll check it periodically for leaks, but I plan on just leaving it in there.
    1\*

My Cars
    '83 633csi
    its just a resistor coil and will probably only reach a certain temperature anyhow. Do you have a link to this? I might consider installing it for the sake of the engine for Jan/Feb.

-Jeff
    1983 633csi a.k.a. Wolfie - M30B35 Swap - Getrag 265 - 3.73LSD

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    What ever you do, don't use one of those universal dip stick heaters. They are fine as long as they are fully submersed in the oil, but usually they stick up out of it and get red hot where it is not in the oil and scorches the oil where they meet!

My Cars
    88 635CSi; 88 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by jbd5015 View Post
    its just a resistor coil and will probably only reach a certain temperature anyhow. Do you have a link to this? I might consider installing it for the sake of the engine for Jan/Feb.

-Jeff
    You can use the 45mm (IIRC) freeze plug for the exaust side of the motor, or the 36mm for the intake side (what I did)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...heater&x=0&y=0 these are the different ones from amazon.

I will say, if you go the intake side (36mm) you can do the one that goes straight in to the block instead of angled, If you go to the exhaust side (45mm) you will HAVE to get one that is right angle
    1\*

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by CW6er View Post
    What ever you do, don't use one of those universal dip stick heaters. They are fine as long as they are fully submersed in the oil, but usually they stick up out of it and get red hot where it is not in the oil and scorches the oil where they meet!
    glad you mentioned that..

if I ever consider one, I'd make darn sure it's properly immersed in the oil!

My Cars
    88 635CSi; 88 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    glad you mentioned that..

if I ever consider one, I'd make darn sure it's properly immersed in the oil!
    I have to be honest and say... I wouldn't even consider it, but that is just my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt..
    1\*