Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 APPRECIATION thread

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is

E39 APPRECIATION thread

We have very few threads about why we love our E39s, so sometimes it's good to remind ourselves why we keep driving our bimmers. My E39 makes me feel just like in this italian commercial . Whenever I am in my 540iA, I feel refreshed & relaxed, calm, safe, and just overall happy. My heart ticks lower too, compared to driving my other car. 4.4l V8 provides just plain awesome relentless speed, and I am not ashamed to say I like its clever automatic gearbox. I still like driving my E34, but sometimes I don't like throwing my own gears, especially after work or in traffic. Just don't tell my E34 that I'm having an affair
    Yes, I know, my E39 still got bunch of problems and it cost me a lot of $$, but driving experience just dominates everything. It really is a love-hate relationship with my car. I start cursing her every time I pull up to a gas station. I barely get 16MPG, so I come up with the most profane language possible. Thirsty POS, german garbage, and big metal waste are all my favorites. I don't even want to get to other curse words, since it's an online forum.
    Anyway I refuel the car, I say to her (in my head) that I'm gonna take my revenge, especially in an S mode. She doesn't seem to mind at all, always providing me with quick acceleration, good steering response and stability at high speeds. In fact, the harder I drive her, the better is gets. It almost like she's saying "Is that all you got? Spank me harder bitch!"

Anyway, feel free to comment or post about why you like/ or dislike your E39.
    peace.
    Edit, just found an E39 video from this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1361668
    Really funny imo
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_K-FOEmkR0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 12-13-2009 at 10:01 AM.

My Cars
    01/1999 540iT 6speed
    how in a world do you get 16mpg???? I get an average of at least 20 half street half freeway or 28 or 29on just freeways. I can even get 20mpg mix if im driving it like its stollen (going at least 115 on freeways)

My Cars
    E39, E46M
    I like my E39 a lot. After 9,000 miles of ownership, small issues are starting to come about, but I don't mind. Any issue that is fairly DIYable is an issue I don't mind.

I whipped her a bit today. Hit 6300 rpms in every gear and by the time I got to somewhere in the middle of 4th, I realized I was doing 120 in a 55 zone. Sometimes I get carried away.

My Cars
    e39, e53, 957
    Well.. I couldn't wait till Saturday to install my short shifter kit from EAC tuning. I'm in love all over again...I feel like a complete idiot, not having done this mod the first day I got my baby... I love my car. I don't think I'm ever giving up on her... ever.

My Cars
    01/1999 540iT 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by newton22 View Post
    I like my E39 a lot. After 9,000 miles of ownership, small issues are starting to come about, but I don't mind. Any issue that is fairly DIYable is an issue I don't mind.

I whipped her a bit today. Hit 6300 rpms in every gear and by the time I got to somewhere in the middle of 4th, I realized I was doing 120 in a 55 zone. Sometimes I get carried away.
    be quiet, dont tell anyone you went above speed limit, they will flame you! lol

But yeah, i sometimes do exactly that, especially on the freeway onramps. I get into the 4th and before the end of the onramp im already going well over 100

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by E39bmw View Post
    how in a world do you get 16mpg???? I get an average of at least 20 half street half freeway or 28 or 29on just freeways. I can even get 20mpg mix if im driving it like its stollen (going at least 115 on freeways)
    I have problem with the engine. Some hissing noise from the intake, probably some kind of vacuum issue. Intake sounds awful on cold mornings, then the noise kind of diminishes after a warm up. Plus I probably need to change my O2 sensors.
    Besides, mine is an automatic, and my commute is less than 10 miles in mixed type of roads. I can actually get 25MPG on long trips.
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 11-21-2009 at 03:36 AM.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    I love my car because nobody suspects it to actually move to way it does, especially females.

My Cars
    '00 520i
    Babes think I am a drug dealer in my E39. No one comes close to what I drive

My Cars
    e39, e53, 957
    Quote Originally Posted by irelandoffline View Post
    Babes think I am a drug dealer in my E39. No one comes close to what I drive
    Are you?

My Cars
    98 528i 00 ML430
    I love my E39! It keep me busy and thinking on what to do next-> I am talking repairs, modifications or retrofit. I am never idle with this car.

My Cars
    '84 e30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsterBek View Post
    I have problem with the engine. Some hissing noise from the intake, probably some kind of vacuum issue. Intake sounds awful on cold mornings, then the noise kind of diminishes after a warm up. Plus I probably need to change my O2 sensors.
    Besides, mine is an automatic, and my commute is less than 10 miles in mixed type of roads. I can actually get 25MPG on long trips.
    our 540 gets that noise at startup too, i assume it is the loud ass secondary air pump on cold mornings. i've noticed however that the v8 is much more fun to work on, dare i say easier? needless to say, the v8 e39's are superior even with the lack of rack and pinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    I have a manual I6 e39 and it's a great car but sometimes when i need to accelerate fast and it doesn't( cause it can't) i just wanna slow down, pull over, open the hood and shoot the poor bastard in it's inline 6 heart....

My Cars
    01/1999 540iT 6speed
    his m62 is 97, so he doesnt have the secondary air pump

My Cars
    X3,528i,
    i love my e39 5 series.i am glad i bought it...
    2000 BMW 528i / Manual Tranny / Sport & Premium package / Xenon headlight / Sport seats / Premium sound / DSC /
    2011 BMW X3

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballistic View Post
    our 540 gets that noise at startup too, i assume it is the loud ass secondary air pump on cold mornings. i've noticed however that the v8 is much more fun to work on, dare i say easier? needless to say, the v8 e39's are superior even with the lack of rack and pinion.
    Yeah I don't have those air pumps. I think my intake valves are burnt, since I still get the same noise after I changed all the gaskets and injectors. V8s are easy to work on, but you buy more for parts and gas. SO I guess you gotta pay to play.
    Great thing about E39 is that it comes in few variations to fit different needs. Maybe somebody wants a quiet comfy commuter 525/528/530 car while somebody else might want a faster 540i or an M5. So it's all about buying the car that fits your needs without breaking the bank.
    In everyday commuting it doesn't matter much, you get from A to B in about the same time whether you're in 520i or M5(unless you want to lose your license hehe). If they offered a 530 diesel in the states, then there woud've been no contest.
    Soon the roads will be taken over by pruises and insights, and we'll have a speed camera on every corner. They probably install a GPS tracking device on cars to control your speeding, and you probably gonna be zapped in the arse everytime you go over 40.
    Anyway, enjoy your E39s while you can!

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    I appreciate my car.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    it puts down more power than a Mustang GT while staying classy.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    For the time I have owned it (more than three years), it has made it easier to get out of bed and go to work because I know I will be getting to drive it. I still look for excuses to run errands on the weekends to drive it. When I go on vacation, I look forward to returning home because I'll get to drive it again.

I wonder what it is like to own a car that you really aren't into -- that you own for the mere purpose of having reliable transportation.

I'm so far from there, it's difficult for me to imagine what that would be like.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    '02 530i/A
    Every time I drive mine lately it costs me over $300. I've had it.

Today it was take off the right front wheel and reconnect a sensor for something that connects to the lower control arm. Seems me or my wife ran over a trucker's rubber S-hook rubber strap, and that tool out the sensor. I saw something hanging down when I was peering underneath the car. My initial reason for looking at the car was a coolant leak I've yet been able to trace to the source. I just know it's going to be expensive. Probably the radiator this time, as I've already done the thermostat housing and fan clutch, no signs of leak at the water pump and the hoses look fine.

Sorry for the downer, but this is probably my last BMW. Despite how much I love driving this E39, I can't afford the time and money for it's ills.

Quote Originally Posted by Petes540i6 View Post

I wonder what it is like to own a car that you really aren't into -- that you own for the mere purpose of having reliable transportation.

I'm so far from there, it's difficult for me to imagine what that would be like.
    I've got a 2009 Chevy Malibu as a DD (company car) and it's been to the shop zero times in the 27,000 miles since I picked it up. I fully expect an issue-free car, and other than the torque steer, it really handles fairly well. Gets almost 30mpg doing it too.
    Last edited by PixMan; 11-21-2009 at 10:45 PM.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petes540i6 View Post
    For the time I have owned it (more than three years), it has made it easier to get out of bed and go to work because I know I will be getting to drive it. I still look for excuses to run errands on the weekends to drive it. When I go on vacation, I look forward to returning home because I'll get to drive it again.

We are goin to need some pictarhz of her soon...
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    02 m5, cbr 929rr
    Quote Originally Posted by E39bmw View Post

i get 18 on A GOOD DAY...

My Cars
    e39, e53, 957
    Quote Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
    Every time I drive mine lately it costs me over $300. I've had it.

Today it was take off the right front wheel and reconnect a sensor for something that connects to the lower control arm. Seems me or my wife ran over a trucker's rubber S-hook rubber strap, and that tool out the sensor. I saw something hanging down when I was peering underneath the car. My initial reason for looking at the car was a coolant leak I've yet been able to trace to the source. I just know it's going to be expensive. Probably the radiator this time, as I've already done the thermostat housing and fan clutch, no signs of leak at the water pump and the hoses look fine.

Sorry for the downer, but this is probably my last BMW. Despite how much I love driving this E39, I can't afford the time and money for it's ills.

I've got a 2009 Chevy Malibu as a DD (company car) and it's been to the shop zero times in the 27,000 miles since I picked it up. I fully expect an issue-free car, and other than the torque steer, it really handles fairly well. Gets almost 30mpg doing it too.
    You my friend have given up... I've felt like that many times, but the next day when I fix the little issues and start her up its all worth it. Your biggest mistake is letting the wife drive it...

My Cars
    E39 ///M5
    I drove my friend around delivering pizzas the other night simply because all his deliveries were in insanely nice neighborhoods with long driveways, and i insisted he took a picture of the car in every fountain-spewing, perfectly-hedged, under-lit, landscape lovin million mile driveway. Very few cars, let alone even BMW's look good in this day and age, among the ilks of the rich and famous. E39s forever.

2000 Schwartz II M5-|Bilstein|H&R|ZHP|Dinan|

"Speed has never killed anyone...Suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you" - J. Clarkson

My Cars
    02' 330ci, 00 740il
    Quit making me jealous! I want my e39 now... Although mine will be a 528i.. oh well.. :P

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie1490 View Post
    Quit making me jealous! I want my e39 now... Although mine will be a 528i.. oh well.. :P
    You have V8 and V12 7 series cars, and you say 528i?
    Btw, how is that E32 treating you? Just changing spark plugs in my old 750 was a big PITA

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    I appreciate my 540. I wonder if she has a little message board somewhere and is posting about how she loves her caretaker? Just imagine all the E39's talking through inductive micro-current pulses passed through the power grid by their communications busses about how, "Fab changed my VANOS unit today, and it felt SO GOOD!! I really appreciate him!"

Last edited by cdb3113; 11-23-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast