Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trunk going back together

My Cars
    540I SPORT

Trunk going back together

I am waiting on the correct 4 little fasteners to finish putting the trunk back together.I have plenty of the wrong ones. Aquamist tanks fitted.... Oil Cooler Pattern finally made and fitted... I will go to the shop and make the real bracket tomorrow. I just received the Aeroquip AQP 10AN SS braided hose and it is a hell of a lot more flexible than the Earl's perfom o flex stuff that kinks at the idea of a bend. Wow I might be able to start the car up again here soon....

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Keep up the good work David!!

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Nice work man! Really clean!

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Keep up the good work David!!
    Thanks , I will do my best to make sure all this work will never have to be done over as I am having to do ...........

Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    Nice work man! Really clean!
    Thanks as well, the bracket will be machined out of a single piece of aluminum we decided today at my friends shop. It will be more compact and stronger than if we pieced it together as my pattern was done. Hopefully the rubber sheet I ordered from Mcmaster Carr will be here this week so I can get the oil cooler installed permanently.Then I can run the new oil lines and start the car up again which is always my goal.I do each clean up project with the thought of driving the car in the near term as it was gone sooooo very long I want to make sure the car gets to scoot down the road a bit now and then....
    Last edited by DIRT11; 11-16-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    540I SPORT

Machined bracket

It fits.......It is level to the car , my picture is kind of not level, as well the fasteners for the trunk arrived last night.....
    Last edited by DIRT11; 11-21-2009 at 01:58 PM.

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    I am curious if you plan on tracking your car. If you don't, do you really need an oil cooler? Regardless, beautiful work.
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    530i E60
    Nice work David and keep it up.

530i E60 Wizard of Nos Nitrous System/STS Rear Mounted Custom Turbo(PSI_unknown)

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by BigM62 View Post
    I am curious if you plan on tracking your car. If you don't, do you really need an oil cooler? Regardless, beautiful work.
    That was the whole intention for the entire build , to go to the track with a 2 ton car and have fun.Where else can you push the car to it's limits safely.I have done it with a 2750 pound car now next spring I will be going to Skip Barbers school of racing to get my feet wet with the car with an instructor for two days.Then I will go to the different tracks and get the instructor's riding along and eventually I will be out there on my own.A green arm band I will get.I am just a few years behind the schedule with this car...... A group of my friends are at VIR for this weekend , 3 weeks ago they were at Watkins Glen before that Road Atlanta etc. They go about a dozen times a year to different tracks.It is all about fun for most but , a few like my friend Dick are driving seriously lightweight stripped out Porsche's or Corvettes or M3s or lotus's .Then there are those that have car's like mine that are too heavy , air conditioned , stereo equipped that are just out there to try to keep it on the track and get the adrenalin rush of going 130 or so on a track and have fun.BUT BACK TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT NEEDING AN OIL COOLER , THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT THIS CAR THAT WAS OR IS ABOUT NEEDING , YA THINK. Trunk Back Together Almost....

My Cars
    540I SPORT

Almost Together

The trunk that is.Now I have to deal with this.... I have ordered a 150 degree fitting to try to solve this rubbing of the oil housing lines against the very expensive Hella light....
    Last edited by DIRT11; 11-22-2009 at 06:40 PM.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    I'm impressed David, excellent work! You've done it as it should have been done the first time for sure.

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Think about it. You do need it (the build), or you would not have done it, and continue to go through with it.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Think about it. You do need it (the build), or you would not have done it, and continue to go through with it.
    I wished I had just given the money to charity actually instead of having gone through all this crap..It is one of those situations that I have got so much $$$$ and time (going on four years) that the car has to be finished properly.Otherwise there is a two ton anchor sitting in my garage.It would of been nice if the people that got paid all the money could have done such but , they did not as we all know and I doubt they could do this type of finish work anyway.....I am ordering a 150 degree 10AN fitting today for the oil filter housing as to get the line SS braided line away from the Hella light. There are some reminder pictures in my last post of how I received the car ...... There are some reminder pictures in my last post of how I received the car ......http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...dstory-54.html
    Last edited by DIRT11; 11-23-2009 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added Picture

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I saw a healthy 45 degree drop in oil temps when I added my oil cooler just on the street. Nothing wrong with extra protection!
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    e36 m3, e46 325, e36
    Looks much better, congrats.

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
    Looks much better, congrats.
    Thanks , all the wiring is correct now ( no twisting of the wire or electrical tape ) all actual aquamist parts ( no brass fittings coupled with snow performance fittings ) New Pump , aquamist line is a single line all the way from the trunk to the engine as it should. The accusump tank brackets are removable as are the aquamist pump fasteners with out taking the entire car apart.I moved the nozzle for the sprayer for the aquamist as well. I have separators for all the braided AN lines yet to install , am waiting on the fuel line check valve from aereomotive , the 150 degree 10AN fitting which all should be here this week.Then the car can run again. I will run it for a week and then apart it will come to get the Intercooler coated and the new oil cooler bracket will get anodized and try to chase down the voltage drain I still have somewhere.As well as a lot of little crap.My wish is the car to be ready for the January trip my friends are taking to Georgia,http://www.roeblingroad.com/ .They had a blast at VIR...

My Cars
    93 325iS
    David, again, awesome work. Attention to detail is a great thing. Its the little things that set a great build apart from a good build. Question, do you have AN wrenches? They will prevent that nasty scratching from the previous shops lack of AN wrenches. I do not have any myself, but if you use a crescent wrench and some paper to pad it, you usually won't scratch them. Considering I have ... 2 aluminum AN fittings on my whole motor, its not much of a concern for me, lol.

I just wanted to make a comment on the M62TU cam oil rings that were found broken in your motor. I just did a head and had both, um, Vanos units off on an M62TU, and due to your experience I made to sure be extra careful and examine the rings. They were fine on removal, I put the units on carefully (if you don't rotate them slightly, they hit the chain tensioner [as I didn't unbolt the tensioner..I tried, it would NOT come off the head, so I left it alone]) and then removed them, twice, on each bank. I wanted to be damn sure that I wasn't going to crack the rings! Good news, car runs like a champ and throws no Vanos codes, thank goodness! It was my first time doing anything internal on an M62TU, and I had no issues
    Last edited by SiGmA; 11-23-2009 at 02:10 PM.

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    David, again, awesome work. Attention to detail is a great thing. Its the little things that set a great build apart from a good build.
    Good news, car runs like a champ and throws no Vanos codes, thank goodness! It was my first time doing anything internal on an M62TU, and I had no issues
    +1 on David's attention to detail. Too bad he was not able to personally suspervise the build himslef. Congrat's on your first M62 engine work Sigma. Need more gearheads with passion like you.

David, is your car tuned for the WI/meth? Or just as a cooling/safety device? Thanks for the updates.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    David, again, awesome work. Attention to detail is a great thing. Its the little things that set a great build apart from a good build. Question, do you have AN wrenches? They will prevent that nasty scratching from the previous shops lack of AN wrenches. I do not have any myself, but if you use a crescent wrench and some paper to pad it, you usually won't scratch them. Considering I have ... 2 aluminum AN fittings on my whole motor, its not much of a concern for me, lol.

I just wanted to make a comment on the M62TU cam oil rings that were found broken in your motor. I just did a head and had both, um, Vanos units off on an M62TU, and due to your experience I made to sure be extra careful and examine the rings. They were fine on removal, I put the units on carefully (if you don't rotate them slightly, they hit the chain tensioner [as I didn't unbolt the tensioner..I tried, it would NOT come off the head, so I left it alone]) and then removed them, twice, on each bank. I wanted to be damn sure that I wasn't going to crack the rings! Good news, car runs like a champ and throws no Vanos codes, thank goodness! It was my first time doing anything internal on an M62TU, and I had no issues
    I did almost what you suggested , I got an old inner tube and cut it into pieces to fit the crescent wretch.I wish I did not have all the AN lines , crimped hydraulic lines would of been fine for me but , I have been handed all these damn AN SS braided lines that tear up anything they touch for the time being.Next year they will disappear, one set at a time.The cam oil rings that were broken on my cams were due to someone being in a hurry I assume as when Karl replaced them and refitted the cams he said the tech had no issues .( Mr. Elgin said after receiving the cams in the manner that he did he was just glad I had cams in the box.) I really am glad that AA stepped up to the plate and did what they said they could do for my situation. I may actually visit the shop , AA that is , next Friday for a brief visit as I am going to be in Palm Beach for three days on business...... Same thing that Big M62 said , good for you on the M62 apart and back together and I am glad some helpful knowledge has been derived through my build being documented.

+1 on David's attention to detail. Too bad he was not able to personally suspervise the build himslef. Congrat's on your first M62 engine work Sigma. Need more gearheads with passion like you.

David, is your car tuned for the WI/meth? Or just as a cooling/safety device? Thanks for the updates.
    Just for cooling purposes .As the aquamist was not working , it was leaking like a sieve and was not used at all in the tune Mr.X and Karl did on the car in July.Karl said to use the 49-51 mixture which I will......
    Last edited by DIRT11; 11-23-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    540I SPORT

I found my fuel leak

I and others ( one person comes to mind the best ) have smelt fuel since the day I pulled the car out of the shop in Ct. Never a puddle seen but , always a smell in the garage first thing.So since I am putting the car back together correctly , I installed the aereomotive 6AN check valve and figured why not track the smell down.These fittings are from the fuel rail ( OEM ) which ICS welded AN ends on and these male fittings fit into the female fittings.One was loose, real loose and the other was tight as crap. So it seems to me , an untrained eye,that the O-rings got squished to shit and I really do not think they should get squished to shit like that ? Wrong fitting used ? OR am I wrong and just get two more O-rings and tighten the fittings down and put the shit back together. I got the 150 10AN for the oil filter housing , so tomorrow I will fit it......

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Are the fittings on the rail AN flared, or O-Ring? If O-Ring, I'd assume there is a torque spec - if not, tight but not too tight. lol. If flared..I can't imagine why there is an O-Ring.

jmargo is offline Guess who's back ? Moderator
    My Cars
    CTS-V , Blown 332i
    Did you end up re-using the aquamist pump that looked corroded ?
    Sias Tuned, Vortech Blown, 3.2L S52...456WHP/360WTQ

Sias Tuning | HowertonEngineering | Davis Motorsports Club

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Are the fittings on the rail AN flared, or O-Ring? If O-Ring, I'd assume there is a torque spec - if not, tight but not too tight. lol. If flared..I can't imagine why there is an O-Ring.
    I am not sure what the female fitting is actually. I guess I will pull the rail out of the car to get a better look.I stuck the camera in the air intake hole of the car to get the photograph.Looks awful rough , guess a good reason the O-ring was crapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    Did you end up re-using the aquamist pump that looked corroded ?
    I actually took the old pump apart and put new seals in and checked the brushes out on the motor side and then put it back together , sanded the outside, cleaned it well and then painted it the flat black.The pump ran when I hooked it up straight to a 12V battery. So we will see how it works when I get it back together, the car that is,,,, One thing leads to another thing to another thing ETC.I will have the car running here again soon I hope.I do have a new pump in case the rebuild attempt flopped.....
    Last edited by DIRT11; 11-25-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    yes
    I'd guess that just a straight thread fitting of some type....not AN. If they welded a AN fitting they wouldn't need those adapters to connect AN fittings. I assume they used teflon disc washers under the adapters and then torqued them until they were useless. Those adapters are typically used with orings and the female fitting they seat to has a receiver groove for the Oring. I do not see one in the photo you snapped.

I'd take the fuel rail out and get someone that knows what they're doing to weld the correct ends on it.

Keep up the good work!!

Don

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvee View Post
    I'd guess that just a straight thread fitting of some type....not AN. If they welded a AN fitting they wouldn't need those adapters to connect AN fittings. I assume they used teflon disc washers under the adapters and then torqued them until they were useless. Those adapters are typically used with orings and the female fitting they seat to has a receiver groove for the Oring. I do not see one in the photo you snapped.

I'd take the fuel rail out and get someone that knows what they're doing to weld the correct ends on it.

Keep up the good work!!

Don
    I am heading out to pull the rail out now and then I will have a better idea of what has been done to the poor car once again.I am going to see what Aereomotive has to say tomorrow about a rail system as well....

My Cars
    e36 m3, e46 325, e36
    David,

Look into Magnafuel products, they are of great quality. Much better quality and design than Aeromotive from our experience...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast