Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 aftermarket stereo installtion

My Cars
    1998 740i

E38 aftermarket stereo installtion

Hi

Help my tape player is killing me I want to install an aftermarket stereo in my 98 740i the model that seems to fii is (Kenwood KDC-MP342U) at crutchfield is it doable , do I need extra parts to do it, do I need to change speakers, I know I will lose the steering controls, do I need (
    127OEM2 PAC OEM-2 Universal Factory Sound System Interface) with it too, is it an easy job to do, thanks for all the help .

My Cars
    Various Prototype BMW's
    Whoa there! Let's slow this one down a bit, and see if we can clear a few things up for you...

You can put a head unit into your E38, provided it does NOT have DSP. If it does, you cannot simply add a head unit.

Crutchfield will include all parts necessary (supposedly), and no additional interfaces are required beyond a standard BMW wiring harness and antenna adapter.

The install won't take more than half an hour, as it is very straightforward.

Enjoy your new system!
    Jason Seaver | Founding Partner | Product Engineer
    e: jws@bavsound.com
    Bavsound | Audio Solutions Engineered Specifically For Your BMW
    www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Thanks for the quick response, what do you mean by (provided it does NOT have DSP) the dsp button is on the right to the head unit not on the unit itself so is this OK, also crutchfield provides two options (with or without DSP button) so if the DSP button is not on the head set this means without dsp or it means that the system does not have dsp at all, thanks.

Also Crutchfield mentions that If you replace your factory radio, you must also replace your factory speakers and install new speaker wires, is this correct.
    Last edited by lazezo; 11-11-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Various Prototype BMW's
    I mean provided it does not have DSP, then you can put a radio in the car.

Since you seemingly do have DSP, you cannot put a head unit in your car without replacing the amplifier and speakers.

My Cars
    01 740i, 89 Esprit....
    Quote Originally Posted by lazezo View Post
    Also Crutchfield mentions that If you replace your factory radio, you must also replace your factory speakers and install new speaker wires, is this correct.
    I want some of what Crutchfield's smoking.....

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by kapone View Post
    I want some of what Crutchfield's smoking.....
    Whatever they are smoking makes them half right. If you have DSP you will need to do this.

My Cars
    01 740i, 89 Esprit....
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    Whatever they are smoking makes them half right. If you have DSP you will need to do this.
    Sorry, I should have highlighted this part...that's what I was referring to.

My Cars
    Various Prototype BMW's
    No new speaker wires will need to be run.... You can use the factory wiring without incident.

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i
    I need to do a full dd install on my 01 w/dsp. Not looking forward to it at all. I just put the Dice unit on yesterday and HATE IT, so I am taking this leap soon too. I am curious to see how this works out for you.

I hope you have the intestinal fortitude to take this on man. I'll crack a cold one for ya.
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I don't "love" BMWs, or even have much of a strong "like" for them, it is that when I get behind the wheel, everything seems right and whatever I do works out perfectly.

My Cars
    Various Prototype BMW's
    I'd be happy to go over the Dice operation with you.... I'm in Pasadena pretty often, we could meet up in Old Town....

It works really well in the E38's, so I'm wondering if it's a programming issue you're dealing with...

My Cars
    1998 740i

Would this work.

Did you guys read this post, what do you think

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1125110

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i
    Thanks for the offer, but there are so many drawbacks on Dice that it makes the best argument for tackling DSP head-on and spending a few grand or just a 20 and getting a tape-deck adapter. This being the second car to have a bad experience (first was a Lambo) I'll leave it at that and keep the thread on topic.

Laz, that sounds like it might work. Now you have me curious.
    Last edited by TestShoot; 11-13-2009 at 03:46 PM.

I don't "love" BMWs, or even have much of a strong "like" for them, it is that when I get behind the wheel, everything seems right and whatever I do works out perfectly.

My Cars
    01 740i, 89 Esprit....
    OP: I don't know where you're getting a lot of your advice, but you're getting a fair amount of bad information.

If you have DSP, in one word, you're screwed, if you're trying to put in an aftermarket head unit into the car. The radio tuner and the DSP amp in these cars are integrated into the car's IBUS systems, and while it is relatively simpler to replace the DSP amp with an aftermarket amp, the opposite is not true. Replacing the head unit WHILE KEEPING the DSP amp is next to impossible.

With your stock HU and stock DSP amp, the radio is feeding a fixed volume, full range signal to the DSP amp. All of your Volume control, fade, balance etc are done in the DSP amp, not the radio tuner. And the two units can do all this by passing commands back and forth over IBUS. An aftermarket headunit (or amp for that matter) will never integrate with IBUS.

So, if you're replacing the HU, you MUST replace the DSP amp with an aftermarket amp as well. Now, obviously the speaker wiring certainly does not need to be replaced (Crutchfield's smokin crack, if they say so. BMWs have 16-18 ga speaker wires and that's enough for almost any aftermarket speaker, unless you're planning to run one crazy ass system), but the question whether the stock speakers need to be replaced or not...kinda has a complicated answer.

The reason the answer is complicated is because the stock DSP amp has the crossovers built in, and these crossovers are designed for those speakers. While it's not impossible to figure out the factory crossover points (and there's some information already available), the more important question would be WHY? You have a 98 car, and if the speakers have never been replaced, you have 11 year old speakers in the car. If you're gonna replace the HU and the DSP amp, you might as well replace the speakers, since they will sound like crap with an aftermarket amp anyway, without the ideal crossovers.
    Last edited by kapone; 11-13-2009 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    If you want to fade with the stock head unit (aftermarket amp), you will need to run 2 new speaker wires to the head unit. As it has been said, the DSP amp does the fading. There is only 1 set of left and right speaker wires run to the amp (most cars). The head units have the outputs on the back of it, but there are no wires in the connector.

The wiring that goes to the speakers is all there, so no running of those is necessary.

Now how confused are you?

My Cars
    01 740i, 89 Esprit....
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    If you want to fade with the stock head unit (aftermarket amp), you will need to run 2 new speaker wires to the head unit. As it has been said, the DSP amp does the fading. There is only 1 set of left and right speaker wires run to the amp (most cars). The head units have the outputs on the back of it, but there are no wires in the connector.

The wiring that goes to the speakers is all there, so no running of those is necessary.

Now how confused are you?
    Bingo. That's what I'm in the process of doing as well. (Replacing the DSP amp with aftermarket amps).

This is my system diagram, I still haven't finished the wiring, as the amp rack is still being built.

There's a few issues in this architecture that I'm still grappling with. Instead of the SVEN4, I may just use a 3Sixty, as I'm not that confident of the SVEN's quality. In addition, the CL-RLC will not be needed, I had it backwards there. The CarPC's outputs are just fine, and can be used as is.
    Last edited by kapone; 11-13-2009 at 05:06 PM.

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i
    damn kapone

My Cars
    1998 740i

Thanks All

Thank you guys for all the info although it is confusing but it is clear that no simple upgrade can be done,

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    Kapone them PPI 355CS woofers fit no problem with the 2.5 inch depth?
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Guys check out this toy ( GROM-USB MP3 Kit) you can just replace your cd changer with it and have your audio played off a USB drive , what you think.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    Guys check out this toy ( GROM-USB MP3 Kit) you can just replace your cd changer with it and have your audio played off a USB drive , what you think.
    Y no 97 support?
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    01 740i, 89 Esprit....
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
    Kapone them PPI 355CS woofers fit no problem with the 2.5 inch depth?
    Nope. Not right away. Heat gun and some ingenuity.....

My Cars
    1998 740i

GROM adapter

Hi , I have contacted the manufactures of the GROM adapter regarding using it with DSP here is there response

(
    DSP means Digital Sound Processing. GROM adapters are no compatible with car stereos using that format. Please check the car stereo manual whether DSP option can be turned off.
    If that's a case, then you may wish to try GROM USB adapter: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/grom-usb2-bmw.html)

Do you guys think that when the dsp button is turned off then it will have no effect on the system, if that is the case then why do not we just turn is off and install any head unit ???

what do you think.

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i
    iirc, dsp is a combo amp and crossover, atleast for my 01. there is no bypass.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740I
    Hey guys... I have a 2000 e38 & i want to put in an aftermarket single din flip.. The shop told me i have dsp do to the fact that i have 12 speakers in all but no dsp button... How hard is this going to be...??? Is there any place i can view how to run my wires..etc

My Cars
    E90, E36, F10, E38, E23,
    Start a new thread, don't dummyjack old ones.
    -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast