Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PICTURE of my stock 335I automatic transmisson Fluid at 51K miles

My Cars
    335I

PICTURE of my stock 335I automatic transmisson Fluid at 51K miles

Informative Video:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3MSaW-9BGk&[/ame]

Today, I changed my automatic transmisson, power steering, brake, and coolant fluids. I wanted took a picture of my car's automatic transmission fluid because It had never been changed, and it had "lifetime fluid" written on it. Because of this dealerships, gave me so much BS, about never, ever changing it. So here it is(oh,and it smelled like burn't coke too):

Please replace your fluids! The transmission now is silky smooth! My steering, braking and engine temps are also an equal WOW! I got all my fully synthetic OEM fluids from: www.rmeuropean.com

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3MSaW-9BGk"][/ame]
    Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 10-24-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: additional informaition

My Cars
    2 E90 335i and E34 5
    Some details on how you did it...location of drain and fill plug...DIY ftw.

Did you change the filter as well?

My Cars
    335I
    Quote Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
    Some details on how you did it...location of drain and fill plug...DIY ftw.
    Did you change the filter as well?
    I had a local shop do it for me. Just buy 7 liters of one of the fluids on the list(Pg 4&5):
    http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf

This will help with the location of the drain plug:
    http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/i...28_Catalog.pdf

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3
    change your transmission fluid every other year?! come on... that guy in the video is a joke.

i've driven plenty of over 100k mile cars that have never had their transmission fluid changed. my wife has a jeep cherokee she drives in the winter, 140k miles, never had the transmission fluid changed. every mechanic i talk to now says she's gone too long, don't even bother changing it now, it will cause more problems.

now, i'm not saying that is ideal, but this guy (video) is using scare tactics to drum up business.

as far as the lifetime fluid? i don't know, i don't see why not. i guarantee bmw has spent more R&D $$$ on the subject then the guy in the video.

nothing against the OP, if you want to change the fluid, doesn't hurt, as long as your car hasn't gone too long already.

My Cars
    2 E90 335i and E34 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
    I had a local shop do it for me. Just buy 7 liters of one of the fluids on the list(Pg 4&5):

This will help with the location of the drain plug:
    http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/i...28_Catalog.pdf
    Thanks

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i Sedan,

Automatic transmission flush?

I wanted to try and get a fluid flush for the transmission today. I cant find anywhere what kind of flud it takes. Even the dealer gave me the runaround with "lifetime fluid dont change it"

ugh
    So anyway, i work at a ford dealership and they have a flush machine that hooks up to the cooling lines, They cant find what kind of fluid either.

its a 2006 325xi automatic with 69k on it.

Any recomendations for flush procedure?

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    First off color of fluid tells you nothing. And transmission fluid smells terrible new.

Second there are tons of threads about why CHANGING it is bad. I think they say since the gears wear and the metal settles out changing it stirs up all the metal and causes more problems.

You can change all your fluids every day...but that doesn't mean it's what you need to do.

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    Have you looked on the transmission yet? It usually says there. Call the dealer...you will likely have to get it from them anyway.
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i Sedan,
    no im at work. where would i find it? the dealer gave me a runaround of not to touch it.. ugh ..

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i Sedan,
    Yeah i read that, But i dont know what model transmission i have.. I gotta call the dealer so i can find out what fluid.. is there aftermarket fluid anywhere? or does the oem fluid do fine?

ok i got off the phone with one of the bmw dealers...

Shell M-1375.4 Fluid 45$ per liter- requires 8 Liters to fill.
    No tranny filter? - he says he dosen't list one. ?? any idea's on this?
    Last edited by Lotus49; 10-26-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    I could check my Bentley manual tonight and let you know if you still have questions.

I would assume there has to be a filter.

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    no filter...that's how they say it's a sealed factory fill system. Price sounds right...I wouldn't put anything aftermarket in there, IMHO.
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black

My Cars
    335I
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    First off color of fluid tells you nothing. And transmission fluid smells terrible new.
    Second there are tons of threads about why CHANGING it is bad. I think they say since the gears wear and the metal settles out changing it stirs up all the metal and causes more problems.
    You can change all your fluids every day...but that doesn't mean it's what you need to do.

Please don't highjack my thread! IF you don't have an oil analysis of the ATF when new, and at 50K miles, that shows No change in specifications, despite, a radical visual, and odour change, then please zip it. Denial aint just a river in egypt!

My Cars
    335I
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus49 View Post
    Yeah i read that, But i dont know what model transmission i have.. I gotta call the dealer so i can find out what fluid.. is there aftermarket fluid anywhere? or does the oem fluid do fine?
    ok i got off the phone with one of the bmw dealers...
    Shell M-1375.4 Fluid 45$ per liter- requires 8 Liters to fill.
    No tranny filter? - he says he dosen't list one. ?? any idea's on this?
    Don't panic!! your trans is made by ZF transmissions. If its a 5 speed then its 5hpXX if its a 6 speed then its 6hpXX. Again, buy 7 liters of fluid from page 4 or 5, and you should be fine:

The fluid thats in your car is actually called "ZF lifeguard fluid" its is sold to the dealer at an extortionist rate, which is why they can't do flushes regualarly for everyone. I did some research and ZF lifeguard flud is actually the exact same thing as: PENTOSIN ATF 1!!(Just look at the part numbers) S671 090 170

http://www.zf.com/sso/content/media/...POWERFLUID.pdf

http://www.tsgparts.net/index.php?p=...parent=68&pg=1

so buy ANY of the other approved fluids on the company's list, which conform to TE ML 11, or if you want "OEM" fluid, then use just buy Pentosin ATF 1 online, for 9-16 bucks online!
    Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 10-26-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: addition

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT

Please don't highjack my thread! IF you don't have an oil analysis of the ATF when new, and at 50K miles, that shows No change in specifications, despite, a radical visual, and odour change, then please zip it. Denial aint just a river in egypt!

Where is your analysis? Don't ask me if you don't have that either. As I said color means nothing. I've seen many oil analysis results posted ...not anything on your tranny. I've also read many posts stating that changing it is worse.

I'm not denying anything either, I just stated color means little and the smell is terrible new...then there is the fact if your tranny shows any signs of wear.

My Cars
    335I
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Where is your analysis? Don't ask me if you don't have that either. As I said color means nothing. I've seen many oil analysis results posted ...not anything on your tranny. I've also read many posts stating that changing it is worse.
    I'm not denying anything either, I just stated color means little and the smell is terrible new...then there is the fact if your tranny shows any signs of wear.
    Dude just look at the ZF site. there are 2 companies in my state that specialize in rebuilding ZF transmissions, and I called them up and talked to them personally. check the map. they have like 2 or 3 branches in every state in the US. SO yes, NEver Ever change your transmission fluid. Just buy a rebuilt one, whenever your original one dies.

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    The 335i Auto uses the ZF "GA6HP19Z" transmission. The actual fluid is listed above (ZF Lifeguard 6).

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._CE04B7F6.aspx

notice the Fluid through them is only $16 a liter. Its not the Shell, but its equivalent (Pentosin). It looks like the filter and pan might be one integral part.

Edit: Looks like these are a subtitute as well for Shell M-1375.4
    http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7028224
    http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by raceyBMW; 10-26-2009 at 07:14 PM.

My Cars
    335I
    Quote Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
    The 335i Auto uses the ZF "GA6HP19Z" transmission. The actual fluid is listed above (ZF Lifeguard 6).
    I think the 335I auto uses 6HP26/28, but I could be wrong. Both the of these trannys are rated up to 295tq, though.[/quote]

notice the Fluid through them is only $16 a liter. Its not the Shell, but its equivalent (Pentosin). It looks like the filter and pan might be one integral part.
    Shell M 1375 is a specification requirement. neither shell nor ZF makes the fluid! Pentosin does. again read the two links I posted:

Part number to look out for= S671 090 170

These are manufacturers claims, and neither fluid is on the ZF TE ML 11 approval list, so I'd be cautious. The castrol isn't an exact viscosity match, as a letter from their company has revealed. It is also mineral based, not a synthetic, like all those on the ZF list. I not sure about the redline, either.
    Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 10-27-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: addition

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    I think the 335I auto uses 6HP26/28, but I could be wrong. Both the of these trannys are rated up to 295tq, though.

Shell M 1375 is a specification requirement. neither shell nor ZF makes the fluid! Pentosin does. again read the two links I posted:

Part number to look out for= S671 090 170

These are manufacturers claims, and neither fluid is on the ZF TE ML 11 approval list, so I'd be cautious. The castrol isn't an exact viscosity match, as a letter from their company has revealed. It is also mineral based, not a synthetic, like all those on the ZF list. I not sure about the redline, either.
    The 335i definitely uses the 6HP19...and I am not an expert on the fluids, so I will defer to you on that one. So you are saying Pentosin ATF-1 and ZF Lifeguard6 are one and the same...if so why isn't ATF-1 on the TE ML 11 approval list? All BMW requires is that the fluid is rated Shell M1375.4 AFAIK.

http://forums.5series.net/index.php?...pic=88129&st=0
    Here is a great DIY, that 5 has the same transmission as the 335.

I am would say if you are going to change at 80-100k, stick with BMW fluids (ZF Lifeguard6, Pentosin ATF-1), but if you go with 30k intervals, I would think the Redlines and Castrols will work fine for you...at least that is what I have gathered from other opinions.

My Cars
    335I
    The 335i definitely uses the 6HP19..
    Proof? 6HP19A is my Audi A6 3.2 quattro, handling 243tq.

http://forums.5series.net/index.php?showtopic=88129&st=0
    Here is a great DIY, that 5 has the same transmission as the 335.
    NO it does NOT!! that car is a 2006 530! not 535I!wrong engine, and wrong trans. Ours is 6HP26/68

.and I am not an expert on the fluids, so I will defer to you on that one. So you are saying Pentosin ATF-1 and ZF Lifeguard6 are one and the same....
    Pentosin ATF 1 is the same as lifeguard5! It is VERY likely the same thing as lifeguard6- 1lifeguard :

if so why isn't ATF-1 on the TE ML 11 approval list? All BMW requires is that the fluid is rated Shell M1375.4 AFAIK...
    It IS on the list. Its on page 4 of the list, along with several other semisynthetic fluids.

I am would say if you are going to change at 80-100k, stick with BMW fluids (ZF Lifeguard6, Pentosin ATF-1), but if you go with 30k intervals, I would think the Redlines and Castrols will work fine for you...at least that is what I have gathered from other opinions.
    castrol fluid on the list is fine, but it is NOT the mineral based castrol you linked to. I didn't want to post this, but you asked for it! from Castrol customer relations department:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America,

This vehicle calls for a Shell M1375.4 ATF which is a lower viscosity fluid than Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF may be used in your vehicle but the fuel economy will be slightly decreased versus the lower viscosity fluid.

Castrol Consumer Relations"

As for redline, I have had negative experiences in the past, as a substitute for my 240 HP Honda. Some guys had sucess with it as a replacement for the E46 non-M 3 series. 335I is putting down 300 tq to the wheels! I wouldn't play with this trans, and experiment with redline!
    Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 10-27-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    ***.I already said that I am no expert, I was asking you questions since you seemed to act like one yourself.

I know you keep saying the 335i has the 6hp26/28, except everything else seems to say something contrary to that. Check this link, plus the Bentley manual also agrees.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...14&hg=24&fg=05

Also look on page 4 of this link, it says input torques up to 295ft-lbs for the 6hp19 (model specific):
    http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/i...21_Catalog.pdf

And that's great that you have proof for the Castrol....that's the kind of information we all need...especially since their site specifically says it meets the requirements of Shell M1375.4.

So yes, that install DIY does apply, its the same transmission. The exact procedure may be different because of the different exhaust layout, but would be pretty much the same. If you want to post your own DIY to prove me wrong, go right ahead.
    Last edited by mryakan; 10-27-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: remove inappropriate content

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    So do you actually drain all the fluid with each change out? Most modern tranny's take a few drains to get most of the fluid changed out.
    Like my van, it takes 3 drains to get out about 96% of the fluid.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    2013 Ferrari F138
    im dealing with a 06 750il, transmission is slipping. 107,000 miles, fluid is burnt- tear down and inspection of the failure shows that old fluid was to blame.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i

Got the filter pan but why free flow?

OK. Wanted to ask a related ? So I bought the ZF filter pan and received it today. Opened it up and looked at it. Decided to blow on the pipe(that's what she said ) and out come air at the bottom "unrestricted". I mean if I blow it as hard as I can(again ) and all the air come out from the bottom totally unrestricted. There supposed to be filter and it should block the $hit out of it but nothing seems to be in there. This can't be normal...

I put a flashlight in the hole and I see yellow sponge look like substance. I put a pen in there and feel firm and bouncing. Even still, it just flows unreal amount of air for the filter that it should be.
    Last edited by 2fast4; 08-15-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast