Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another wheel restoration thread

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6

another wheel restoration thread

I bought this set of wheels on this thread(ETA Beta's, the same wheels as drewdude). After finally getting the wheels, they turned out to be in pretty bad shape with severe curb rash and every wheel was almost 1/4" out of round. I didn't feel right about selling them again and I couldn't use them in the condition they were in so I decided to have them repaired.

after cleaning the nicest one up (less bent and curbed than the others):

I finally got around to having them repaired last week by weldcraft wheels in detroit. They charge between $45-$100 per wheel, I got charged about $60 per wheel. They press them true again, re-weld for curb rash or cracks as needed, then re-machine them. They were still pretty rough when I got them back, so I spent the night polishing the lips out some.

And for drewdude, I hated the centercaps that came with the wheels. It occured to me that the stock hubcaps might fit but they were too small and the wheel bore doesn't have a locking groove for the caps. I hammered the locking tabs out so the caps fit tight, the used a dremel to cut a shallow groove 3.5mm into the bore and the stock caps snap right in! I plan to grind down the original hub cap mounting flanges and fill in the bolt holes before I repaint the wheels.

I think I might like these wheels more than the ones I'm running. I'm not sure...
    Last edited by jrcook320; 04-08-2011 at 11:55 PM.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    02 530/5 sport,68 Camaro
    Lookin good!!!

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    wow those look amazing!! nice job!

My Cars
    BMW e36 Coupe
    Good work

My Cars
    Tacoma
    Love those wheels.

If your running the wheels in your sig then these are way better

My Cars
    E46 M3 ZCP, Model S P90D
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    And for drewdude, I hated the centercaps that came with the wheels. It occured to me that the stock hubcaps might fit but they were too small and the wheel bore doesn't have a locking groove for the caps. I hammered the locking tabs out so the caps fit tight, the used a dremel to cut a shallow groove 3.5mm into the bore and the stock caps snap right in! I plan to grind down the original hub cap mounting flanges and fill in the bolt holes before I repaint the wheels.
    They're from an Italian company called "Eta Beta" - you rarely see them. I've only seen pictures of one other pair on an e30 on the random far end of the internet. I really like them - they're Alpina esque, but I feel like they match the car really well. Mine didn't come with center caps, but after seeing what they came with, I didn't want them. Jason Miller drew up a design in CAD or solidworks or something, then handed it off to Layne so it never got done .

I realize you probably already have them on the car by now, but our cars are essentially the same color and I have euro bumpers and a drop similar to yours, so I can get some pictures for you if you want.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewDude320i View Post
    Jason Miller drew up a design in CAD or solidworks or something, then handed it off to Layne so it never got done .
    I drew that myself. But yeah I'm lazy, so what? You don't need hubcaps anyway.

My Cars
    BMW 320i ('83), BMW 318ti ('98), BMW 3.0 CSi ('72)
    Josh---Nice work on those rims. I saw how bad they looked when you first got them as I remember asking you about them when I visited you.

If you want the original caps, keep an eye out on German Ebay as I have seen them come up a few times a year.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    Yes! So happy about the vintage wheel work being done around here!

My Cars
    1979 323i BMW. 2003 GTI 20 V Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by blaktoutbm View Post
    Good work
    Excellent stuff
    "..Horsepower is a measure of work done over time, or the rate at which work is done."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/579694/1

My Cars
    e34,e30 truck, e28
    Nice work

m52 so sweet

My Cars
    '77 320i
    Very cool! I did similar work to my original caps to make them fit my BBS RA's.

My Cars
    E46 M3 ZCP, Model S P90D
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I drew that myself. But yeah I'm lazy, so what? You don't need hubcaps anyway.

Hello pot, meet kettle.

J/K <3 Layne.

I didn't know you drew that up - do you still have the original file?

I couldn't make my little bmw center cap things fit on my wheels, I'll have to look into that. I agree though, center caps are completely unnecessary on those wheels.

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewDude320i View Post

I didn't know you drew that up - do you still have the original file?

I couldn't make my little bmw center cap things fit on my wheels, I'll have to look into that. I agree though, center caps are completely unnecessary on those wheels.
    It took me about 2 minutes to tap the locking tabs outward to make the stock e21 caps fit tightly, then about 5 minutes to grind a groove in the wheel for them. The ease of this makes custom center caps pointless, IMO.

So, today I finished cleaning up the rims and they're ready to have the slicks mounted. I have no interest in the original ETA hub caps, I have 3 that I would like to never see again (they're hideous). To that end, I ground the mounting flanges for the original hub caps flush with an angle grinder and ground them smooth with a sanding flap disc. Then I filled the bolt holes in with JB-weld, then primered with black primer, painted with charcoal metallic, then clear coated with VHT wheel clear. Then I scraped the paint off the polished portion of the spokes. Here's the first wheel, I'll post pics up once the slicks are mounted and the wheels are on the car.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    1982 E21 320 i
    Nice job! What was your polishing method?

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Sweeeeet.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    Tacoma
    wow turned out sooooooo good.
    Cant wait to see them on the car

My Cars
    1981 E21 323i
    wow they look rad! well done.

My Cars
    98' Camaro Z28
    It took me about 2 minutes to tap the locking tabs outward to make the stock e21 caps fit tightly, then about 5 minutes to grind a groove in the wheel for them. The ease of this makes custom center caps pointless, IMO.

So, today I finished cleaning up the rims and they're ready to have the slicks mounted. I have no interest in the original ETA hub caps, I have 3 that I would like to never see again (they're hideous). To that end, I ground the mounting flanges for the original hub caps flush with an angle grinder and ground them smooth with a sanding flap disc. Then I filled the bolt holes in with JB-weld, then primered with black primer, painted with charcoal metallic, then clear coated with VHT wheel clear. Then I scraped the paint off the polished portion of the spokes. Here's the first wheel, I'll post pics up once the slicks are mounted and the wheels are on the car.

Wow those came out great! I love how close they match your car!
    Did you test drive them with the slicks yet? How do they look on the car?

My Cars
    '86 IROC, '89 GTA
    Josh, those came out magnificent. I urge you to reconsider putting slicks on those at this point. They are now in nicer condition than the wheels currently on the car. Take some time to decide which wheel you REALLY like better, and put your street tires on the wheels you like better. Don't get me wrong, I like your current street wheels, but I like those ETA wheels better now that you've shaved the mounting holes and installed the original center caps. Those 2 changes really tipped the scales for me.
    '86 IROC-Z Camaro 383/TKO600/C4 IRS

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    I decided that for now I'm just throwing the slicks on the ETA's. I hope to make it to one event still this fall and I'm running the slicks. I want to see them on the car before I make the swap, plus I'll be due for rear tires in the spring so it doesn't make sense to pay to have both sets mounted right now. I'll be able to take pics and mull it over all winter this way.

I went to get them mounted at walmart saturday and they wouldn't do it because there was no tread on the tires. . I tried to explain to them that they were slicks, they weren't supposed to have any tread, they weren't street legal and weren't going to be driven on the street anyway but no dice. I'm taking them to a real tire shop tomorrow to get them mounted.

My Cars
    98' Camaro Z28
    I decided that for now I'm just throwing the slicks on the ETA's. I hope to make it to one event still this fall and I'm running the slicks. I want to see them on the car before I make the swap, plus I'll be due for rear tires in the spring so it doesn't make sense to pay to have both sets mounted right now. I'll be able to take pics and mull it over all winter this way.

I went to get them mounted at walmart saturday and they wouldn't do it because there was no tread on the tires. . I tried to explain to them that they were slicks, they weren't supposed to have any tread, they weren't street legal and weren't going to be driven on the street anyway but no dice. I'm taking them to a real tire shop tomorrow to get them mounted.

Wow, thats crappy that they wouldnt even mount them! Why dont you photo shop the wheels onto a pic of your car?? i'm anxious to see them installed!
    98 Camaro Z28

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    got my tripod out (for the camera... not my wang) and went on a photoshoot. Most pics didn't turn out, some were ok.

Last edited by jrcook320; 10-19-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98' Camaro Z28
    Those look good Josh! but I still think you should have gone with those sweet teddy bear wheels! lol

They turned out great! if i do say so myself! ;-) lol
    98 Camaro Z28

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    ah yes... the teddy bears. If only I could find a set of those.

Thanks for the help on friday cleaning these up and getting them painted. I'll post pics in the daylight once I get a chance. Tomorrow my brother-in-law is playing against the harlem globe trotters for make glorious benefit of something so I won't have a chance.
    Last edited by jrcook320; 10-19-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast